Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? (7213 Views)

What Does It Mean To Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ? - Olamide Obire / Why Many Jews Dont Believe In Jesus Christ / Lady Who Started 2017 As A Promiscuous Girl Finds Love In Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:31am On Oct 15, 2017
Neymar1095:
Believing in something that doesn't exist

You try.

Greatest intellectual of our time.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by chudi1: 7:33am On Oct 15, 2017
I believe in Jesus Christ the only son of the most high God.
He saved my life from the powers of the devil once upon a time in my life and since then I have the reason to not only worship him but to serve him in the sanctuary and see many being delivered and saved through me. my advice brethren this day is do not allow crisis to come to you before you believe or else it could be too late and regrettable.
Happy Sunday
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Neymar1095(m): 7:35am On Oct 15, 2017
It's weird........ I dare any Christian to provide Just 5 Concrete evidence to prove the existence Of God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:39am On Oct 15, 2017
MadCow1:
God allowed Armed Robbers rob and shoot you in the Leg just so he can heal you to believe more in him..

Then you say If a person believes they will not fall sick. grin

Then that Demons believe in Jesus but are not saved. grin

Then you say we have to "KNOW" Jesus yet you still "BELIEVE".. You don't need belief if you know.

Hmmmmmm..... If your son is being bullied in school and you always show up to fight his classmate who is the bully, even till he's in SS3........... Think about the kind of parent you are.

If you as a man will encourage your son to stand up for himself, take his knocks and be a man, how much more God in whose image you are made?

Just look at a human parent doing right by his or her child, you will understand God, at least a bit. With His help, you can know Him better.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Freeezzz(m): 8:23am On Oct 15, 2017
Chai! Thanks for sharing OP. Now I'm vexed in my Spirit to write more on "unbelieving believers".
cool
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by blackjack21(m): 8:34am On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:
one question, i will like to ask is
1-why does no one practice christainity in jerusalem
2-why jews never believed injesus and your bible claim that they are God chosen
3- explain how jesus died for the sin of mankind while we still have fornicators, homosexaul, trannies and bisexual today

But you said one question NOW? undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by blackjack21(m): 8:37am On Oct 15, 2017
Jeezuzpick:

Hmmmmmm..... If your son is being bullied in school and you always show up to fight his classmate who is the bully, even till he's in SS3........... Think about the kind of parent you are.

If you as a man will encourage your son to stand up for himself, take his knocks and be a man, how much more God in whose image you are made?

Just look at a human parent doing right by his or her child, you will understand God, at least a bit. With His help, you can know Him better.
HUMAN BEING ARE GODS
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 15, 2017
MadCow1:
God allowed Armed Robbers rob and shoot you in the Leg just so he can heal you to believe more in him..

Then you say we have to "KNOW" Jesus yet you still "BELIEVE".. You don't need belief if you know.

Okija!
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by billbonesmd(m): 8:42am On Oct 15, 2017
Don't war with him please, it's not worth it.
pezeji:
and what is dat which doesn't exist?
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by cescky(m): 8:42am On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:
3- explain how jesus died for the sin of mankind while we still have fornicators, homosexaul, trannies and bisexual today

1 because the Jews believe in Moses ..and not Jesus, which is erroneous because Moses told them some one greater than him will come and they should believe and follow that one....so they still await a Christ who has come already

2)God doesn't change his words ...unlike man, they are children of Abraham and God gave a promise to Abraham and his seeds for ever,his covenant isvfor Life,its only man that fails on his part..God is constant

3) dying for man's sin was a gift to man...man has free will to accept or reject this gifts..man is like God and you can't impose anything on him...that's why there will be a judgment.. because you will have to account for what you did with your free will and time...that's why he couldn't any miracle on his home town, even though he wanted to..." But he could do no mighty works becos of their unbelief".....man is God like in nature and nothing happens to him without belief

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 15, 2017
HungerBAD:
By Femi Aribisala

Miracles don’t lead to belief: belief leads to miracles. We don’t see to believe: we believe to see.

The Jews asked Jesus: “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” He said to them: “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he sent.” (John 6:28-29).

Jesus is the Saviour therefore, undoubtedly, belief in Jesus is fundamental to salvation. Often, when people came to Jesus for healing, he would ask: “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” (Matthew 9:28). When he visited his hometown, John notes that: “He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief.” (Matthew 13:58).

Jesus did not tell Nicodemus to become more religious in order to obtain eternal life. He did not tell him to give more tithes and offerings to the synagogue. He simply told him to believe in him: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16).

Therefore, it is of the utmost importance to determine precisely what it means to believe in Jesus; especially because although demons believe, nevertheless, they are not saved.

Active participle

Faith in Jesus is an active participle. If we believe in Jesus, our actions will testify to our faith. James says: “Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” (James 2:18). Likewise, the psalmist says: “I believe therefore I speak.”

If we believe in Jesus, we would not be overwhelmed by sickness because he is our healer. If we believe, we would not be dismayed by loss because he is our redeemer. If we believe, we would not be intimidated by giants in the wilderness of life knowing he is our shield.

If we truly believe, everything we do and don’t do will derive from our belief. Indeed, anything and everything that does not come from belief in Jesus is a sin. (Romans 14:23).

So answer me this: what precisely has your belief in Christ ever caused you to do? Those are the things that validate your salvation. Have you ever removed the roof of a house because you believe in Jesus? Has your belief finally led you to lay down your life for Christ’s sake? We walk by our faith: we don’t merely stand by faith.

Believing requires us to step out of a boat at Jesus’ command and walk on water. It requires us to forsake all and follow him. It requires us to walk a tightrope across a great big gorge in order to get to God. That tightrope is Jesus. He is the way, the truth and the life.

Rise up and walk

I was cornered by armed robbers on the way from the airport in Lagos. Nevertheless, the Lord assured me: “Nothing is going to happen to you here.” After he said this, one of the armed robbers shot me in the leg, seemingly contradicting God’s promise. But then the Lord continued: “Femi, nothing is wrong with your leg.” Should I believe the word of the Lord, or believe the evidence of the bullet in my leg? Later on, the Lord said to me: “I allowed you to be shot because I wanted you to see yourself using crutches.

You have been using crutches all your life but did not know it.” Then he asked me: “Can a man with a broken leg walk without crutches?” I did not think so. But he insisted: “He can walk by trusting in me. Now, put down your crutches and walk.” I put them down but could not walk. Therefore, I had to learn to walk again, but this time by trusting in God.

That is what it means to believe in Jesus.

When we believe in Jesus, we do the impossible. When we believe, we rise up from our sick bed, take up our bed and walk. If we believe, we would not stay too long on any mountain: we would go forward. Because they believed, Joshua and Caleb entered the Promised Land. Because they did not believe, the rest of the Israelites perished in the wilderness.

Disbelieving believers

There are so many so-called believers who don’t believe in Jesus. Most believe with their lips and not with their heart. Many profess belief in a Jesus they do not know. But true faith must be grounded in knowledge. Peter says: “Add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge.” (2 Peter 1:5).

You cannot believe in Jesus from merely reading about him in the pages of the bible. You have to know the Jesus of the bible. You have to enter into a personal relationship with him. Paul says: “I know whom I have believed.” (2 Timothy 1:12). It is a shame that today’s Christianity is rife with contradictions.

The president of the Christian Union is jilted in love and falls into depression. In truth, she does not believe in Jesus. She does not know Jesus is the redeemer. The choirmaster’s project fails and thereafter he loses all hope. In actual fact, he does not believe in Jesus. He does not know that the hope in Jesus does not disappoint. (Isaiah 49:23). The evangelist loses a child in a car accident and refuses to forgive the driver who hit her. She does not believe in Jesus. She does not know that Jesus is the resurrection and the life. (John 11:25). The usher’s business collapses and he stops going to church. He does not believe in Jesus. He does not know that the Father of our Lord Jesus is not mediated through results.

Believe to see

Thomas says of the resurrected Jesus: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:25). Poppycock! Seeing is not believing. The Jews saw Jesus’ multiplication of five loaves to feed five thousand and still did not believe in him.

They came asking to see another miracle before they would believe. Miracles don’t lead to belief: belief leads to miracles. We don’t see to believe: we believe to see.

David says: “I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.” (Psalm 27:13). Faith in Jesus opens the eyes of the blind, enabling us to see the kingdom of God. Accordingly, Jesus said to Martha who was mourning her dead brother: “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?” (John 11:40). Thereafter, Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, even though he had been dead and buried for four days.

When Nathaniel believed what Jesus told him, he received a promise. Jesus said to him: “You will see greater things than these. Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.” (John 1:50-51). “That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.” (1 John 1:3).

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/mean-believe-jesus/

Seun Lalasticlacla Mynd44

""“I allowed you to be shot because I wanted you to see yourself using crutches.""

U have been living in illusion n self denial for a very very very long time.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by pezeji(m): 9:16am On Oct 15, 2017
billbonesmd:
Don't war with him please, it's not worth it.
oga, i only asked a qstn, how is dat a war?
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ElsonMorali: 9:20am On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:

1. Because they practice a different religion called Judaism. Duh!

2. They believe they are the chosen race, they just don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah long prophesied. Duh!!

3. That Jesus died for the sins of mankind doesn't take away our freewill to either follow God or pitch our tents with Satan. Duh!!!
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ElsonMorali: 9:27am On Oct 15, 2017
blackjack21:

HUMAN BEING ARE GODS

Is that why they fall sick all the time? undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ElsonMorali: 9:29am On Oct 15, 2017
Neymar1095:
It's weird........ I dare any Christian to provide Just 5 Concrete evidence to prove the existence Of God.

Lol. If you can prove to me that your skull contains a grey matter called brain, then I'll prove to you that there is God.

Let's go...
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ElsonMorali: 9:43am On Oct 15, 2017
Mr Seun Osewa, Lemme call you out this fine Sunday morning. Why do you and your mods allow your brothers and sisters, (atheists) to overrun Christian threads while you vigilantly guard Islamic threads?

Surely it isn't Because you are afraid of Boko Haram or Jihaddists coming after you right?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by musicwriter(m): 9:47am On Oct 15, 2017
This is not what it means to believe in Jesus.

People erroneously think belief in Jesus is about believing him as a person. Believing in Jesus means believing "his words"; example; have faith in God.

It means believing "his ideals" ; example, be humble, polite, long suffering, gentle, contented, e.t.c.

These are the things Jesus was talking about. He wasn't talking about himself, cause he hated self gratification or anything of such. In fact, he always said it's not about him. When a woman tried bowing down to him, he rebuked it and told the woman to desist from worshiping another human. Therefore, anybody who thinks Jesus is God is guilty of adolatory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by saraki2019(m): 10:30am On Oct 15, 2017
cescky:

1 because the Jews believe in Moses ..and not Jesus, which is erroneous because Moses told them some one greater than him will come and they should believe and follow that one....so they still await a Christ who has come already

2)God doesn't change his words ...unlike man, they are children of Abraham and God gave a promise to Abraham and his seeds for ever,his covenant isvfor Life,its only man that fails on his part..God is constant

3) dying for man's sin was a gift to man...man has free will to accept or reject this gifts..man is like God and you can't impose anything on him...that's why there will be a judgment.. because you will have to account for what you did with your free will and time...that's why he couldn't any miracle on his home town, even though he wanted to..." But he could do no mighty works becos of their unbelief".....man is God like in nature and nothing happens to him without belief
1- jesus was himself a jewish
2- but your bible sai he who did not accept jesus will go to hell, what will happen to the jews
3-many christains who accepted the jesus are committing so many unprintable sins , what happened
and lastly, jesus did not have the qualities of a messiah as describe in the talmud
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by cescky(m): 10:56am On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:

1- jesus was himself a jewish
2- but your bible sai he who did not accept jesus will go to hell, what will happen to the jews
3-many christains who accepted the jesus are committing so many unprintable sins , what happened
and lastly, jesus did not have the qualities of a messiah as describe in the talmud

Yes Jesus was ... because like I previously mentioned , they are Gods chosen people and God doesn't alter his word so as he said through Mo's s and many prophets the Messiah was from the Jews aka the children of Abraham

2 when you read the Bible well,. Paul speaking the mind of God tells Christians..not to boast against the Jews..because they've been integrated into the family of Israel, because they jews are the root of Christianity...note that the Jews are the natural owners of the house which Christians have entered..The house wasn't built by them but the virtue of being the children of one man Abraham...but by their unbelief, they are being evacuated one after another..they had this prevelege because in the old Times ie time of 10 commandant they were Gods only people , now we have the law of liberty,or law of Christ which is also the law of love or by Faith..here and now we become children of God/ or sons of Abraham ONLy by Faith and love.

So now the rest of the world rejected by God in the old testament or law are accepted by Faith in God...but isreal is now rejected...because they don't believe, because we have moved from a physical dispensation(10 commandant) to a new dispensation ie spiritual...and the rule or the law in the spirit is just belief..so we are saved by belief.

Jews that don't believe now are rejected by God...but by reason of Gods word to Abraham, they will eventually be saved..imo leave isreal, a careful observation of that nations shows there's avforce behind them.

Gods idea is to bring all man to one through and on Christ..Christ came for Jews but most especially make a way for the non Jews or gentiles...it's not Gods will for any one to perish the though..but we have free will and can do what we like.

Whan you accept Christ, what what is reborn is your spirit not your body..( you ask how do we know if we have spirit.. yes we do bit can't see it now, like now you believe you have a brain right? But can you see it?) yes many Christians commit sin's..because they are baby Christians, truth is when they do there a pricking of their minds or conscience...with time serious ones will adjust and leave. Their old ways.. Christianity is a day to day attitude to life, not a church or religion..it's simply loving your neighbour as yourself and believing that aJesus was raised to make you clean ..that's all

I don't know what talmund is...

About Jesus not acting like a Messiah...well if am your landlord and your my tenant..it I come to your house and keep insisting that am your landlord it shows there's something wrong...bit by my actions( Jesus miracles, words etc) was enough to validate his claims because prior to him and afer him has no man done what he did

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ThisShouldBeFun(f): 11:14am On Oct 15, 2017
karkel:
if u believe dat u exist then u also should believe in the author of ur existence
erm last time I checked the author of ur existence has nothing to do them man made clans/sects
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by saraki2019(m): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2017
cescky:

Yes Jesus was ... because like I previously mentioned , they are Gods chosen people and God doesn't alter his word so as he said through Mo's s and many prophets the Messiah was from the Jews aka the children of Abraham

2 when you read the Bible well,. Paul speaking the mind of God tells Christians..not to boast against the Jews..because they've been integrated into the family of Israel, because they jews are the root of Christianity...note that the Jews are the natural owners of the house which Christians have entered..The house wasn't built by them but the virtue of being the children of one man Abraham...but by their unbelief, they are being evacuated one after another..they had this prevelege because in the old Times ie time of 10 commandant they were Gods only people , now we have the law of liberty,or law of Christ which is also the law of love or by Faith..here and now we become children of God/ or sons of Abraham ONLy by Faith and love.

So now the rest of the world rejected by God in the old testament or law are accepted by Faith in God...but isreal is now rejected...because they don't believe, because we have moved from a physical dispensation(10 commandant) to a new dispensation ie spiritual...and the rule or the law in the spirit is just belief..so we are saved by belief.

Jews that don't believe now are rejected by God...but by reason of Gods word to Abraham, they will eventually be saved..imo leave isreal, a careful observation of that nations shows there's avforce behind them.

Gods idea is to bring all man to one through and on Christ..Christ came for Jews but most especially make a way for the non Jews or gentiles...it's not Gods will for any one to perish the though..but we have free will and can do what we like.

Whan you accept Christ, what what is reborn is your spirit not your body..( you ask how do we know if we have spirit.. yes we do bit can't see it now, like now you believe you have a brain right? But can you see it?) yes many Christians commit sin's..because they are baby Christians, truth is when they do there a pricking of their minds or conscience...with time serious ones will adjust and leave. Their old ways.. Christianity is a day to day attitude to life, not a church or religion..it's simply loving your neighbour as yourself and believing that aJesus was raised to make you clean ..that's all

I don't know what talmund is...

About Jesus not acting like a Messiah...well if am your landlord and your my tenant..it I come to your house and keep insisting that am your landlord it shows there's something wrong...bit by my actions( Jesus miracles, words etc) was enough to validate his claims because prior to him and afer him has no man done what he did
the first question you tried
2- you contradict yourself
3- you have not answered the question
get the jew bible and read" what will happen if the messiah come,there will be world peace,no war, one faith in the world ect. but uptill now none of ths happened, infact, many wars were fought after jesus, ww1 and ww2 etc,
AND THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION THAT SALVATION IS BY FAITH, it is just an idea concocted by paul, infact christainity was created by paul, jesus was jewish and not a christain.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by walls01: 12:23pm On Oct 15, 2017
Neymar1095:
Believing in something that doesn't exist

how come many say he exists?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by walls01: 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
MadCow1:

your writing makes no sense. see beyond your unbelief
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by enilove(m): 12:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:

Where did you get your information that NO PRACTICE CHRISTIANITY in Jerusalem.
The christians in Israel is above 2% . This is different from Christians not existing.

It is not surprising :

Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat: [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW there be that find it.

That is why.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by femi4: 1:33pm On Oct 15, 2017
Sampalo:
Jesus is nothing more than a Messenger of God. Jesus can't not do anything on his own accord or will(John 5:30). Jesus does not even know the last hour (Matthew 24:36)
Jesus himself clarify his difference from the only true God (John 17:3). Even the disciples know Jesus was just a man and was appointed by God (Act 2:22).
Stop calling a Servant the Master. Jesus Christ never called himself your Lord and Savior. The only saviour is God. Isaiah 43:10-11.
STOP THIS BLASPHEMY PLEASE, THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU.
Matt 16:

But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven

Luke 7:
48Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?

John8:

Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16[b]But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me[/b]. 17In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by saraki2019(m): 1:48pm On Oct 15, 2017
enilove:

Where did you get your information that NO PRACTICE CHRISTIANITY in Jerusalem.
The christians in Israel is above 2% . This is different from Christians not existing.

It is not surprising :

Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat: [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW there be that find it.

That is why.

how will God chosen people follow the path of destruction, is God no longer their guide, don't they have prophets and men of god among them to inspire tthem, repent now
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by saraki2019(m): 1:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
ElsonMorali:
Mr Seun Osewa, Lemme call you out this fine Sunday morning. Why do you and your mods allow your brothers and sisters, (atheists) to overrun Christian threads while you vigilantly guard Islamic threads?

Surely it isn't Because you are afraid of Boko Haram or Jihaddists coming after you right?
no, it is because Allah promis to protect his religion
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by Neymar1095(m): 2:02pm On Oct 15, 2017
walls01:

how come many say he exists?
Belief born from assumption
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by blahc007: 2:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
Esepayan:
Religion is a scam Only believe in urself
a real scam..js beliv in jesus christ..
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by ElsonMorali: 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2017
saraki2019:

no, it is because Allah promis to protect his religion

No, that would be because Islam is an intolerant religion that does not bear closer inspection.
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by mcfynest(m): 3:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
Jeezuzpick:

True analysis... But God doesn't allow bad things to happen to us .. He just doesn't
Re: What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? by watchwoman(f): 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2017
Thank you Lord for directing me to this post.I was seriously blessed after reading it
What struck me was this “I know whom I have believed.”(2Timothy 2:12)
Dear Christians including myself, "do you know whom you believe?"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC / My Prayer For Your Money Flow Today / Why Do Atheists Desist From Answering This Question ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.