Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering (17529 Views)

Guys Between Biochemistry And Industrial Chemistry Which One Is Better / What Is The Hope Of An Industrial Chemistry Graduate in Nigeria / What Are The Subject Combination For Pure And Industrial Chemistry In Jamb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by teni4larmi: 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
Being an industrial chemist,I would like to seek the Opinion of public on "the distinguishable characteristics between industrial chemistry as a field of study and chemical engineering",which one of the two fields has better chance of being employed when it comes to job hunting,can they substitute each other in the industry.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by psucc(m): 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
This adds to the reason employers continue to hoard jobs claiming universities are churning out unemployable graduates.

Your opening statement betrays you. Forgive me if you're not a chemist, please.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by zionmade1: 6:33pm On Oct 15, 2017
The both courses re not even related to a very large extent. The only little relationship is that a chemical engr student takes few (2-3) chemistry courses in yr 1 and 2. Apart from that they are totally different courses.

If u re not very strong in maths, pls dont go near chemical, rather stick with chemistry. If u re looking at employability, chemical provides more opportunities

if u re looking for an easy engineering course that will giveu more employment opportunities go for mechanical.
it was not suppose to be easy but khurmi and rajput has made the course very easy

16 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Danjuma827(m): 6:35pm On Oct 15, 2017
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by LordIsaac(m): 10:12pm On Oct 15, 2017
I thinƙ ɓoth of them will help repackage chemicals importeɗ from China. However, they are going to enjoy relative suffering in the University.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by kagari: 7:20am On Oct 16, 2017
They are both two different fields

One requires good knowledge of maths and further maths

The other doesn't

undecided undecided undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/4104935/general-market-food-price-weekly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by DanielsParker(m): 7:21am On Oct 16, 2017
differences are clear
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by helphelp: 7:21am On Oct 16, 2017
One makes the chemical, the other puts it to use.

You need me to buttress the above, just holla and I'll ignore you accordingly

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 16, 2017
Danjuma827:
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.

Simply put, one deals with machines, while the other deals with processes

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by jomboliski(m): 7:22am On Oct 16, 2017
Have a great day...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 16, 2017
grin

Define who a chemist is and who an Engineer is. That's enough.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by shankara7: 7:23am On Oct 16, 2017
This is not good coming from a chemistry graduate.

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 16, 2017
Their names
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by skillet(m): 7:24am On Oct 16, 2017
my dear, the people on this forum are just dull. listen not to their words.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by deepwater(f): 7:26am On Oct 16, 2017
The discipline ‘chemical engineering’ is often used to describe a really broad area of engineering. It’s hardly surprising then that chemical engineers are known as ‘universal engineers’. At the most basic level a chemical engineer is involved in transforming one thing into another – just like a magician!
On a grand scale, a chemical engineer is an ‘enabler’; someone who makes things happen efficiently on a massive, industrial manufacturing scale. They aim to get the best results at the least cost and with the lowest impact on the environment possible.

As Alan S. Foust would say; Chemical engineering is that branch of engineering concerned with the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, math and economics to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food and many other products and as well by products.

OP do you know that in a design team of engineers, every other discipline listens to what the ChEngr. has to say, yes he designed the modaforking plant and processes there in undecided

Chemical engineers lead, others follow.

I would not discuss indu chem, i dont know them

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by InwehAkpevwe(m): 7:26am On Oct 16, 2017
while d industrial chemist does chemistry on an industrial scale, the later is concernd wit d engineering of processes, chemicals, thermodynamics and indept knw hw of chemical processes
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by deepwater(f): 7:26am On Oct 16, 2017
teni4larmi:
Being an industrial chemist,I would like to seek the Opinion of public on "the distinguishable characteristics between industrial chemistry as a field of study and chemical engineering",which one of the two fields has better chance of being employed when it comes to job hunting,can they substitute each other in the industry.

OP STOP THIS ORANGE AND MANGO COMPARISON
First thing first, they are not in the same faculty,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by ekems2020(m): 7:26am On Oct 16, 2017
The difference is not far fetched for in comparative terms they are almost the same. Can I say it is like Calling Mass Communication In AKSU Communication Arts in UNIUYO?

Maybe...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nonybb: 7:27am On Oct 16, 2017
Let me start from the word "chemistry" then I join another word "chemical". Chemistry in it simplest meaning means "reaction". Industrial chemistry deals with studying and acquiring that knowledge an individual substance would form if it "acts" (mark the word acts, and you can well replace it with "react" ) with another substance in an industrial scale. The word engineering in it simplest meaning means "design". So a chemical engineer had only the substance itself, but his duty is to calibrate a proportion, or use the word "design" a proportion suitable for an purpose. The reason why many people prefer chemical engineering to Industrial chemistry is that the world doesn't like to study substances; it is in a rush to work with an already available substance to get a result good for itself

_Apologist Azolike Nonso Afamefuna

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nonybb: 7:27am On Oct 16, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Industrial chemistry deals with the science of chemistry leading to chemical products.

Chemical engineering deals with the design, maintenance and operation of chemical plants and processes.

Ind chemist don't do plant and process designs. While the ind chemistry will concentrate on producing graduates that can develop formulations for products, the engineer will design plant and processes that will ensure the formulation is produced at best conditions with consideration to safety and economics of the process.

In terms of employability, lol...it's like comparing sleep and death. A chemical engineer will fit in where an industrial chemistry is needed, but an Ind chemist won't fit into job descriptions of a chemical engineer. An employer of labor will prefer a chemical engineer as he would be getting double of what he is paying for.

I once had your mentality until I study deep. No course is better than the other, not even Medicine. It depends on the opportunity and the environment or country you found yourself

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by MaziOmenuko: 7:27am On Oct 16, 2017
Industrial chemistry deals with the science of chemistry leading to chemical products.

Chemical engineering deals with the design, maintenance and operation of chemical plants and processes.

Ind chemist don't do plant and process designs. While the ind chemistry will concentrate on producing graduates that can develop formulations for products, the engineer will design plant and processes that will ensure the formulation is produced at best conditions with consideration to safety and economics of the process.

In terms of employability, lol...it's like comparing sleep and death. A chemical engineer will fit in where an industrial chemistry is needed, but an Ind chemist won't fit into job descriptions of a chemical engineer. An employer of labor will prefer a chemical engineer as he would be getting double of what he is paying for.

5 Likes

ekems2020:
The difference is not far fetched for in comparative terms they are almost the same. Can I say it is like Calling Mass Communication In AKSU Communication Arts in UNIUYO?

Maybe...

They are not the same but in final year they start looking somehow similar. And from my observation whilst at the university when looking at the courses of Chemistry engineers, I found out that they stole some of the courses in Industrial chemistry and renamed it. Industrial chemistry studies a course called solvent extraction in analytical chemistry, Environmental chemistry and even on coordination chemistry but chemical engineering department took it and named just a singular course called "solvent extraction".

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 16, 2017
shankara7:
This is not good coming from a chemistry graduate.

It is good. One of the best ways to learn. Ask!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by ekems2020(m): 7:28am On Oct 16, 2017
forget the name of the course. focus on what you want from Chemicals. For that's what both are About.
deepwater:

kaai

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by deepwater(f): 7:29am On Oct 16, 2017
Nonybb:

They are not the same but in final year they start looking somehow similar. And from my observation whilst at the university when looking at the courses of Chemistry engineers, I found out that they stole some of the courses in Industrial chemistry and renamed it. Industrial chemistry studies a course called solvent extraction in analytical chemistry, Environmental chemistry and even on coordination chemistry but chemical engineering department took it and named just a singular course called "solvent extraction".

Funny,
In my school days, it was all discussed as a chapter of a unit course

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by deepwater(f): 7:30am On Oct 16, 2017
ekems2020:

Maybe...

u wrong as hell
Stop sounding so uninformed
Discuss issues you have knowledge about

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Geesaintagape: 7:33am On Oct 16, 2017
This question simply means u are not employable as a chemist
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Wallade(m): 7:34am On Oct 16, 2017
teni4larmi:

In the labor market, the both profession are distinct - one is engineering while the other is applied sciences. No organization should recruit an industrial chemist in place of an engineer.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by MaziOmenuko: 7:34am On Oct 16, 2017
ekems2020:

Maybe...

Lol...u know it's not a must to comment especially when you don't have an idea of what is being discussed. You could have as well kept quite than embarrassing yourself like this.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by badgan(m): 7:34am On Oct 16, 2017
No one dey pay
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Geesaintagape: 7:36am On Oct 16, 2017
This question simply means u are not employable as a chemist. U can still combine wt chem engr to produce bomb as a chemist

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? / 'Miracle Centres': WAEC Bans 35 Schools For Exam Malpractices In Rivers State / Video : Student Turn Biology Class To Sex Fiesta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.