Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering (17533 Views)

Guys Between Biochemistry And Industrial Chemistry Which One Is Better / What Is The Hope Of An Industrial Chemistry Graduate in Nigeria / What Are The Subject Combination For Pure And Industrial Chemistry In Jamb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by nnamxxx(m): 7:44am On Oct 16, 2017
You are correct. However, an industrial chemist has more job opportunity than a chemical engineer. The reason been that a chemical engineer is 'restricted' to the design and specification of machines used in chemical processes. While an industrial chemist is involved in the main manufacturing of products that require these chemical processes. Infact,many company prefer to employ a mechanical engineer instead of a chemical engineer
Danjuma827:
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by benzion72(m): 7:45am On Oct 16, 2017
If you are studying any do it well, but I don't think Nigeria market need much now.

If you are looking up to get job after school that is a miracle. But if you add practical knowledge of your training to solve some problem you on the way

We need soap, insecticides etc daily

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by sirjomore(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2017
LordIsaac:
I thinƙ ɓoth of them will help repackage chemicals importeɗ from China. However, they are going to enjoy relative suffering in the University.
Hahahahahahaha!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 16, 2017
y spend thos yearz n money 4 a cource dat u wount hav a job...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Jman06(m): 7:49am On Oct 16, 2017
This is one problem Nigerian youths have. Somebody would accept admission into a course he has no full knowledge of what it's all about nor the job prospects therein. At the end of the day he would start blaming the devil for not getting a job.

Can you imagine! Comparing chemical engineering with industrial chemistry, and this is coming from a supposedly industrial chemistry student abi graduate.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by sirjomore(m): 7:49am On Oct 16, 2017
shankara7:
This is not good coming from a chemistry graduate.
Imagine oh. When na him suppose dey explain give us

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by bhankymyk(m): 8:04am On Oct 16, 2017
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Brymo: 8:14am On Oct 16, 2017
zionmade1:
The both courses re not even related to a very large extent. The only little relationship is that a chemical engr student takes few (2-3) chemistry courses in yr 1 and 2. Apart from that they are totally different courses.

If u re not very strong in maths, pls dont go near chemical, rather stick with chemistry. If u re looking at employability, chemical provides more opportunities
from your explanation you are a grad of Che Engineering. I tell people Chem Engr it's maths not chemistry. Iterative mathematics et al.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by EmtolalaaPRAISE(m): 8:17am On Oct 16, 2017
mcstan01:
Brb... Let me research like you should have done.

Edited

Industrial Chemistry is the branch of chemistry which applies physical and chemical processes towards the transformation of raw materials into products that are of benefit to humanity. While Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physical sciences (physics and chemistry), life sciences (microbiology and biochemistry), together with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy.

What’s the difference between an Industrial Chemist and a Chemical Engineer?

Industrial chemists and chemical engineers work closely together. The industrial chemist is a scientist and is more concerned about the actual chemicals and synthesis while the chemical engineer has a broader role that looks at the processes around manufacturing. While an industrial chemist will look at the science behind transferring small scale chemical reactions to large industrial scale, the chemical engineer will be concerned with the whole process of getting it done in the safest, most economical way possible.

I love your designs... Hope we can talk business?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by donqx: 8:25am On Oct 16, 2017
grammar
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by VinceSpence(m): 8:28am On Oct 16, 2017
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Lilimax(f): 8:32am On Oct 16, 2017
I am an industrial Chemist. In my office we do the same work with Chemical Engineers but our
overall boss in my department is a Chemical Engineer undecided
Again an Industrial Chemist may not be able to design but a Chemical Engineer can do that...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by crazypencils20: 8:35am On Oct 16, 2017
Geesaintagape:
This question simply means u are not employable as a chemist. U can still combine wt chem engr to produce bomb as a chemist

Bomb dey your head :-)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by billyG(m): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2017
how many employed naija chem.engr can beat his chest that he has designed as industrial equipment like vessels,boilers,tanks,vats,distillers,seperators,heat exchangers,chemical mixers with control systems in place?a part frm importing frm china & co.i know some road side welders day try well.let me know am curious.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by madgoat(m): 8:52am On Oct 16, 2017
teni4larmi:
Being an industrial chemist,I would like to seek the Opinion of public on "the distinguishable characteristics between industrial chemistry as a field of study and chemical engineering",which one of the two fields has better chance of being employed when it comes to job hunting,can they substitute each other in the industry.

Hahahahahahahahah the OP is already noticing the fact that he wont get job easily with his industrial chemistry certificate unlike if he had read chemical engineering and thus he is coming to nairaland to try and console himself that industrial chemistry is the same as chemical engineering grin grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by kennyjam: 8:58am On Oct 16, 2017
zionmade1:
The both courses re not even related to a very large extent. The only little relationship is that a chemical engr student takes few (2-3) chemistry courses in yr 1 and 2. Apart from that they are totally different courses.

If u re not very strong in maths, pls dont go near chemical, rather stick with chemistry. If u re looking at employability, chemical provides more opportunities

if u re looking for an easy engineering course that will giveu more employment opportunities go for mechanical.
it was not suppose to be easy but khurmi and rajput has made the course very easy

you mean Rajput ans Khurmi materials/textbooks?

are you mech engr?

pls Help me with the direct links to downloading their materials

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 16, 2017
Hmmm
Chem engr n.d making oo
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Mcslize: 9:03am On Oct 16, 2017
teni4larmi:
Being an industrial chemist,I would like to seek the Opinion of public on "the distinguishable characteristics between industrial chemistry as a field of study and chemical engineering",which one of the two fields has better chance of being employed when it comes to job hunting,can they substitute each other in the industry.

You comparing Chemical Engineering with Industrial Chemistry?. The difference is just extremely too much to draw out a comparison. Do know that Chemical Engineering is a professional course that requires 5yrs of studies while industrial Chemistry is just 4yrs. All Engineering courses are equivalent to similar bachelor degrees in abroad. For instance, a 5yrs Engineering course is equivalent to a 4yrs similar Engineering course abroad. But you can't see that with other 4yrs science courses.

In terms of job? you can't compare Chemical Engineering with industrial chemistry job wise because the potential of Chemical Engineering is quite much. The reason being that it is a broad field. You can almost fit in all sectors. That makes it a great potential going for it.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by zionmade1: 9:13am On Oct 16, 2017
kennyjam:

you mean Rajput ans Khurmi materials/textbooks?

are you mech engr?

pls Help me with the direct links to downloading their materials
Go and register free on slideshare.net. Though its only about 40% of their textbooks is downloadable online, during my days we had a CD containing all their textbook though i cant lay my hands on it now

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by MaziOmenuko: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2017
Nonybb:

I once had your mentality until I study deep. No course is better than the other, not even Medicine. It depends on the opportunity and the environment or country you found yourself

You made a statement and still countered yourself. You asserted that no course is better than the other, then u added that it depends on some factors which you listed. So you finally agree with me that based on those conditions you stated, one course is actually better than the other.

So based on the country the OP asked advice and the Nigerian working environment, I will still insist that chemical engr thumps Ind Chem anyday, anytime.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by martineverest(m): 9:18am On Oct 16, 2017
shankara7:
This is not good coming from a chemistry graduate.
wellsaid
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by giles14(m): 9:21am On Oct 16, 2017
Danjuma827:
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.
then wots the difference between applied and industrial chemistry
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by MaziOmenuko: 9:24am On Oct 16, 2017
billyG:
how many employed naija chem.engr can beat his chest that he has designed as industrial equipment like vessels,boilers,tanks,vats,distillers,seperators,heat exchangers,chemical mixers with control systems in place?a part frm importing frm china & co.i know some road side welders day try well.let me know am curious.

My design project in my final year involved a chemical plant with most of what you listed and I designed them; a plant with heat exchangers, mixers, separation towers and lots more. You are mistaken a chemical engineer with a technologist. I don't have to necessarily fabricate my designs like a technologist would but while at school, I fabricated some of the components of the plant I designed (specifically the heat exchanger). I also fabricated a biogas digester after doing the design.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by giles14(m): 9:27am On Oct 16, 2017
Lilimax:
I am an industrial Chemist. In my office we do the same work with Chemical Engineers but our
overall boss in my department is a Chemical Engineer undecided
Again an Industrial Chemist may not be able to design but a Chemical Engineer can do that...
u can't design ?
as an applied chemist, some of my 300 & 400l has to do with machine designs but not fabrication.

as a chemist we can design but not fabricate
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
deepwater:
The discipline ‘chemical engineering’ is often used to describe a really broad area of engineering. It’s hardly surprising then that chemical engineers are known as ‘universal engineers’. At the most basic level a chemical engineer is involved in transforming one thing into another – just like a magician!
On a grand scale, a chemical engineer is an ‘enabler’; someone who makes things happen efficiently on a massive, industrial manufacturing scale. They aim to get the best results at the least cost and with the lowest impact on the environment possible.

As Alan S. Foust would say; Chemical engineering is that branch of engineering concerned with the principles of chemistry, biology, physics, math and economics to solve problems that involve the production or use of chemicals, fuel, drugs, food and many other products and as well by products.

OP do you know that in a design team of engineers, every other discipline listens to what the ChEngr. has to say, yes he designed the modaforking plant and processes there in undecided

Chemical engineers lead, others follow.

I would not discuss indu chem, i dont know them

Chem Engr...my 1st crush...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by higgs: 9:44am On Oct 16, 2017
The Ind. Chemist is concerned mostly with the chemistry of the process.The chemical engineer is concerned with process design,equipment design and specification,equipment etc.If You are not very strong in math,please avoid chemical engineering.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by juzo98(m): 9:47am On Oct 16, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Simply put, one deals with machines, while the other deals with processes
I don't really agree with you. Chemical engineering deals with the design of processes to meet certain needs. It cuts across various industries such as manufacturing, food, oil and gas etc. Here's how it works, you have a product that you need to manufacture, probably in large scale or not, a chemical engineer handles the process design with the knowledge gotten from math, chemistry, biology, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, process control and instrumentation, seperation process, transport phenomena and of course economics. The importance of economics and safety is crucial when designing processes. In summary, the Chemical Engineer designs the most economically feasible and safe process to maximize profit. The Chemist is more of a lab guy except the Ind. chemist who is knowledgeable on some large scale chemical processes. After the designs, the Chemical Engineer helps with the interpretation of his designs and hands it over to the Mechanical Engineer who handles the fabrication/construction of the machines/Reactors. He's also responsible for the periodic maintenance of the reactor, he helps troubleshoot his designs whenever a process doesn't meet it's optimum yield or in general, when there's a problem.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2017
juzo98:
I don't really agree with you. Chemical engineering deals with the design of processes to meet certain needs. It cuts across various industries such as manufacturing, food, oil and gas etc. Here's how it works, you have a product that you need to manufacture, probably in large scale or not, a chemical engineer handles the process design with the knowledge gotten from math, chemistry, biology, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, process control and instrumentation, seperation process, transport phenomena and of course economics. The importance of economics and safety is crucial when designing processes. In summary, the Chemical Engineer designs the most economically feasible and safe process to maximize profit. The Chemist is more of a lab guy except the Ind. chemist who is knowledgeable on some large scale chemical processes. After the designs by the Chemical Engineer, he helps with the interpretation of his designs and hands it over to the Mechanical Engineer who handles the fabrication/construction and of the machines/Reactors. He's also responsible for the periodic maintenance of the reactor, he helps troubleshoot his designs whenever a process doesn't meet it's optimum yield or in general, when there's a problem.

lolz Smh....

walks away laughing
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Jaggiey: 9:55am On Oct 16, 2017
Hi,

I found this on the internet and I hope it could help a bit. Moreover, I think you should personally also search online as some of the answers people have offered on this platform appear not to have addressed your question or, even worse, created more confusion:

What’s the difference between an Industrial Chemist and a Chemical Engineer?

Industrial chemists and chemical engineers work closely together. The industrial chemist is a scientist and is more concerned about the actual chemicals and synthesis while the chemical engineer has a broader role that looks at the processes around manufacturing. While an industrial chemist will look at the science behind transferring small scale chemical reactions to large industrial scale, the chemical engineer will be concerned with the whole process of getting it done in the safest, most economical way possible. (source:https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/chemical-engineering/careers/is-industrial-chemistry-right-for-me)

A lay man's view: An Industrial Chemist is a chemist focusing on studying and making/modifying chemical compounds used in an industrial production. On the other hand, the Chemical Engineer is an engineer that designs models, processes,operations, systems and machines for chemical production whether in an industrial setting or else where for efficiency, ease and safety.

Let me say again, please do more on internet search for a deeper, simpler and clearer insights on the differences in both roles and functions.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by teflonjake(m): 9:57am On Oct 16, 2017
You are not an industrial chemist bro. That dichotomy, was established in your 100 level.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by benzion72(m): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2017
giles14:
u can't design ?
as an applied chemist, some of my 300 & 400l has to do with machine designs but not fabrication.

as a chemist we can design but not fabricate

If you design and don't fabricate and produce to check degree of errors how do you proof the veracity of your design.

That is the flaw in our education you design as undergraduate, you design at post graduate and support your design with ordinary theorem and calculations without the practice and collect all certificate and brag as an engineer.

No wonder we import almost all machines and when they are faulty we cannot repair because we are design and theoretical engineers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Miracle Centres': WAEC Bans 35 Schools For Exam Malpractices In Rivers State / LAUTECH Calls Off 8 Months Strike, Resumes On The 27th Of January / FUTA Crisis: Police Assault SUG Officials (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.