Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (27916 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please Help My English Is Very Bad / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:35pm On Oct 15, 2017
I want to improve my English. I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.
I want to improve but don't know how. I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by greatnaija01: 10:39pm On Oct 15, 2017
DOWNLOAD ENGLISH VOICE LANGUAGE APP.... so you can learn correct pronunciations

NEXT

DOWNLOAD lots of English movies action,comedy, drama,adventure... STOP WATCHING YORUBA STATIONS N MOVIES... SWITCH... cos its the LANGUAGE you feed that will dominate your Tongue.

LeksideOLM:
I want to improve my English.
I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.

I want to improve but don't know how.
I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.

167 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Tohsynetita1: 10:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by akankemi1(f): 11:01pm On Oct 15, 2017
Ensure you speak English all the time. Don't feel embarrassed when corrected instead take corrections in good spirit. don't watch African magic Yoruba. read more, novels, newspaper magazines etc

130 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Habiodunz(m): 11:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
just watch American films more

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by chinnyonwu(m): 5:48am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Read a novel and practice vocalizing the words as you read. I attribute my good reading, writing and speaking skills to lots and lots of Enid Blyton, Harry Potter and Heartsong books I read when growing up. Nogo dey read all dose 150naira "the return of Sister Amaka" ooo... Those ones dey reduce IQ. Conversely, avoid the novels with too much big grammar.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Read books. More especially, Novels. Stop watching Nollywood movies/Yoruba movies...watch Hollywood movies with more talking and less action. An example of such is Suits. What kind of friends do you associate with?, you'd have to pick friends that'll sharpen you, and not the ones you're better than.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
Read books. More especially, Novels. Stop watching Nollywood movies/Yoruba movies...watch Hollywood movies with more talking and less action. An example of such is Suits. What kind of friends do you associate with?, you'd have to pick friends that'll sharpen you, and not the ones you're better than.
You are very correct Kimbraa
But then who will teach the friends he won't pick. Iron sharpens Iron you know.

It's all about him striking a balance

9 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 16, 2017
FortifiedCity:
You are very correct Kim.braa
But then who will teach the friends he won't pick. Iron sharpens Iron you know.

It's all about him striking a balance
He has no business with people he's better than if he wants to be good in English. Unfortunately, his background is one of the major factor to be considered before friends, but obviously they're in the Yoruba speaking clique. He has to change his cycle.

4 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
He has no business with people he's better than if he wants to be good in English. Unfortunately, his background is one of the major factor to be considered before friends, but obviously they're in the Yoruba speaking click. He has to change his cycle.
If people that are better than you in an aspect you'd be interested to improve yourself on refuse to pick you because "they don't mingle with people they are better than ," how can you improve?

19 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 16, 2017
FortifiedCity:
If people that are better than you in an aspect you'd be interested to improve yourself on refuse to pick you because "they don't mingle with people they are better than ," how can you improve?

Some don't while some do. Those who do may want you around so you could learn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
Some don't while some do. Those who do may want you around so you could learn.
The bottom line is, just know your valuable friends and keep them around, whether you are better than them or they are better than you.

8 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Oluwaseyi00(m): 8:46am On Oct 16, 2017
Try downloading Quora app twill help a bit, and make English your official language I.e communicate using English language every time.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by kafiz1(m): 8:46am On Oct 16, 2017
be observant

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by flyca: 8:46am On Oct 16, 2017
Common mistakes amongst Yoruba speakers include but not limited to: adding the letter "h" to a word.
Example 1: (h)add 2 + 3

Or not adding "H" when necessary.
Example 2: aw are you? I ad a good day.

Also the wrong pronunciation of letter "Z" as "S" and "Ch" as "Sh.

Generally, I have observed that Nigerians (maybe Igbos) do not pronounce "R" when it's in the middle of a word.
Example 3: How a you? Instead of "How aRe you"?
"What's u~a name?" instead of "What's youR name?"

So pay close attention to those.

The good thing is that English is now an international language, and every nation/tribe has a peculiar way of pronouncing its letters. As long you speak clearly, you'll most likely to be heard and understood.

You are already an adult so I'll advice that you don't bother about your accent. Accents are learned at childhood. Otherwise you'll begin to make a fool of yourself in public.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:47am On Oct 16, 2017
Comedies. Watch comedy movies. Sounds weird right? But it is very powerful.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by aku626(m): 8:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Say no to vernacular and pidgin English

5 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Change ur friends or mix them up.

If all ur friends are Yoruba, they could become a problem cause na Yoruba una go dey speak, mix ur friends with Hausa, Igbo and other tribes.

Then make sure your new friends are better at English.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Rutley(m): 8:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Download Hon patrick obahiagbon's videos, listen to radios, many OAP speak good english. Watch news, read newspapers. Watch foreign movies, not telemundo oooo...... Mix with good people. I bet you gonna thank me later. Goodluck

6 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Tori46(f): 8:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Read books and maybe you should change the kind of company you keep.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by netflicks(m): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
Read almost anything you see.. .. cheesy
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by SuperSuave(m): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
Ehya, I remember there was a time I suck at English, especially oral English. Whenever I was chatting and confused on how to put my thoughts in good grammar I'd just use pidgin. grin

Watching English speaking movies, reading news reports online, reading online literatures and posts plus some grammar rules I learnt in secondary school helped me to construct better but then I still suck at spoken English cos na pidgin and Yoruba I dey use 99% of the times in school until I had a girlfriend who barely speaks Yoruba even tho she's Yoruba. My regular conversations with her in English smoothened my spoken English till date.grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
You just took the very first step.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Keketu(m): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
please bro yoruba is a good language! dont try to speak language the white man put on us.

see i am very proficent in english and i even teach my younger one's how to speak it but i like to speak yoruba because it in my culture and a man is define by he culture . this is what gave me confident any time am with this englsh forming people

10 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by cristianisraeli: 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

go and meet your pastor to lay hands on you.lol and you will even start speaking mandarin

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by suwalee(f): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

well trying reading James Hadley chase started with that while growing up and try to summarise after reading on a sheet of paper
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Pyounis: 8:50am On Oct 16, 2017
Good thread
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Agbaletu: 8:50am On Oct 16, 2017
greatnaija01:
DOWNLOAD ENGLISH VOICE LANGUAGE APP.... so you can learn correct pronounciations

NEXT

DOWNLOAD lots of English movies action,comedy, drama,adventure... STOP WATCHING YORUBA STATIONS N MOVIES... SWITCH... cos its the LANGUAGE you feed that will dominate your Tongue.

I agree with your submission, but I disagree with the texts above. Your mother's tongue first before others. Aside the British, American, Canadian and Australian most people from other countries speak their language first. The subtitling might be bad anyway.

8 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by DinoP: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2017
I woul suggest you eat isi ewu and nkwobi at least three times a day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How to cope without carrying pot on campus / Crack In ASUU As Members Want End To Strike / Kwara State Polytechnic Admission For 2012/2013, ND/HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.