Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (27934 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please Help My English Is Very Bad / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by MightySparrow: 9:08am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:
I want to improve my English.
I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.

I want to improve but don't know how.
I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.

Just visit The Queen of England. We speak Queen Elizabeth's English. Lo ba tan.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:08am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Reading.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by jaxxy(m): 9:09am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

U wrote this down so u dont hv much of a problem. Wat aspect of English do u want to improve on? Pronunciation or tenses or where exactly do u goof when speaking English. This will help us know d best way to advise u.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by paragon40(m): 9:09am On Oct 16, 2017
Avoid African magic Yoruba ...switch to Urban and African magic showcase ..u can also note new words by writing them down..
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by flyca: 9:09am On Oct 16, 2017
flyca:
Common mistakes with yoruba speakers include but not limited to: adding the letter "h" to a word.
Example 1: (h)add 2 + 3

Or not adding (h) when necessary.
Example 2: aw are you?

Also the wrong pronunciation of letter "Z" as "S" and "Ch" as "Sh.

Generally, I have observed that Nigerians (maybe Igbos) do not pronounce "R" when it's in the middle of a word.
Example 3: How a you? Instead of "How aRe you"?
"What's u~a name?" instead of "What's youR name?"

So watch out for those.

The good thing is that English is now an international language, and every nation/tribe has a peculiar way of pronouncing its letters. As long you speak clearly, you'll most likely to be heard and understood.

You are already an adult so I'll advice that you don't bother about your accent. Accents are learned at childhood. Otherwise you'll begin to make a fool of yourself in public.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 16, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Read a novel and practice vocalizing the words as you read. I attribute my good reading, writing and speaking skills to lots and lots of Enid Blyton, Harry Potter and Heartsong books I read when growing up. Nogo dey read all dose 150naira "the return of Sister Amaka" ooo... Those ones dey reduce IQ. Conversely, avoid the novels with too much big grammar.

Hahaha, The return of Sister Amaka.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Afamed: 9:10am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

if the construction above came from you. Then,your grammar is not as bad as you have presented it here. Though I strongly believe you can still do better. It is high time, you started reading more of the Novels not the ones with (big vocabulary )and Daily Newspaper. Though you improve " On" something not "In" Something. The preposition that comes with Improve is "ON".
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Crystalline(f): 9:10am On Oct 16, 2017
greatnaija01:
DOWNLOAD ENGLISH VOICE LANGUAGE APP.... so you can learn correct pronounciations

NEXT

DOWNLOAD lots of English movies action,comedy, drama,adventure... STOP WATCHING YORUBA STATIONS N MOVIES... SWITCH... cos its the LANGUAGE you feed that will dominate your Tongue.

Best response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by ashawopikin(m): 9:11am On Oct 16, 2017
watch plenty oiyibo film
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by amojis(m): 9:11am On Oct 16, 2017
In addition to apt suggestions above, be watchful of your written English too. Like the topic to your thread, it should be 'How do I improve on my spoken English' and not English speaking. It gets better with time as you make up your mind to heed to suggestions given

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by romoruyi(m): 9:11am On Oct 16, 2017
Just tune to CNN and repeat what they say...
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by grodt999: 9:11am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Easy, stop hanging out with Nigerians.

Am fine, instead of I am fine or I'm fine.
May I know you, instead of hi what's you name, and where are you from?

Most graduates in Nigerians are educated-illiterates, you cannot learn much from them.

BTW:
Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking = How Can I Improve My English? another mistake is using too many unnecessary words!

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by abdulhamid0(m): 9:13am On Oct 16, 2017
Read books
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bullabong(m): 9:13am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Get a dictionary and learn one word a day .
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by sonature1: 9:13am On Oct 16, 2017
Keketu:
please bro yoruba is a good language! dont try to speak language the white man put on us.

see i am very proficent in english and i even teach my younger one's how to speak it but i like to speak yoruba because it in my culture and a man is define by he culture . this is what gave me confident any time am with this englsh forming people

Look how embarrassing your use of English is grin. Local languages are integral part of us; nobody's throwing them away. Take it or leave it, demonstrating fluid command of English language offers more opportunities than any local language.

Yes, learn English language to become a better person but it doesn't mean throwing our local languages into the wastebasket.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by hatchy(f): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2017
Go to England.

Case solved!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by hatchy(f): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2017
Go to England.

Case solved!

Next!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by 2sexycom(m): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
He has no business with people he's better than if he wants to be good in English. Unfortunately, his background is one of the major factor to be considered before friends, but obviously they're in the Yoruba speaking click. He has to change his cycle.
clique
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by onatisi(m): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2017
1) stop speaking pidgin English
2) start reading English books and if possible be reading them out aloud
3)start writing in English more , dont be shy to make mistakes and don't be too proud to take corrections
4) interact more with people who speak good english and learn from them

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 16, 2017
erico2k2:
Bross what is PROUDNESS ? ?
My brother l know what am saying
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by vioment: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2017
Read real news and old news and books that respected editing. Listen to radio station especially news and watch or listen to documentaries including sports stations. If its american watch american news stations and documentaries, if its british, do the same as american, but as a naija - mix the american flow with british articulations- (some times).

In short keep reading and listening and then speaking for as long as you can, it is a working progress with a gradual confidence.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Coloradvantage(m): 9:16am On Oct 16, 2017
read lots of books and listen to interviews from great speakers ... talk shows etc
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by greatnaija01: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2017
pharisee pls tell us how your comment helped the OP.....

I was helpful but you remain a critic.

MADUBI:

Ok, it is obvious you still watch Yoruba stations and movies if not, you won't write PRONUNCIATION as PRONOUNCIATION, it can only happen in Yoruba movies subtitled in English. Chai! Pls stop Yoruba movies and stations too, na beg I dey beg.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by 1metre: 9:17am On Oct 16, 2017
Keketu:
please bro yoruba is a good language! dont try to speak language the white man put on us.

see i am very proficent in english and i even teach my younger one's how to speak it but i like to speak yoruba because it in my culture and a man is define by he culture . this is what gave me confident any time am with this englsh forming people
good advice bro, wondering why i must desist from speaking like an igbo man to mimicking a white man english.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by sylva1(m): 9:19am On Oct 16, 2017
Speak it regularly, don't feel embarrassed when you make mistakes. Read newspapers, novels regularly. If it is possible to get past JAMB questions or compiled JAMB questions series on English language, it will go a long way to help.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Obere4u: 9:19am On Oct 16, 2017
Tohsynetita1:
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.

Am also interested in the training.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by 26Clueless(m): 9:23am On Oct 16, 2017
Tohsynetita1:
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.

can I also follow him join ?
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by tivta(m): 9:24am On Oct 16, 2017
simple.watch more foreign films.i mean Caucasian films.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by jay99(m): 9:25am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

It's obvious.. Get brighter grammar.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by sekem: 9:26am On Oct 16, 2017
Start listening to BBC, CNN

Start reading lots of novels

Go and find your Brighter Grammar and start making use of it

You can also start writing down your thoughts. Remember that when you write, you're equally and actually speaking to thyself

And the last but not the least...

Stop watching all those nonsense Yoloba movies and start watching more of Hollywood movies kiss tongue
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by vivie01(f): 9:29am On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:
Read books and watch the news. Then everyday make sound clips about anything that you like using proper English. That's what I did

Listen to news regularly, read newspapers often, remember to pay attention to the tenses and tense constructions therein, watch English movies, let dictionary be always close to you, buy books on common mistakes in English, be speaking it and make it your primary means of communication, move in the circles of those that can correct you and don’t feel bad or embarrassed by the correction but rather thank them

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by ASAMPETE1: 9:29am On Oct 16, 2017
Contact Dame Patience Jonathan or enroll at Patience Jonathan Grammar School, Ikeja, Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Teachers Sacked For Impregnating SS3 Student In Kebbi; The Student Expelled / Is Yabatech Now A University? / Daughter Of A Vulcanizer Becomes A Graduate (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.