Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,503 members, 7,781,534 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:24 PM

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (27816 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please Help My English Is Very Bad / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:22am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
Read books. More especially, Novels. Stop watching Nollywood movies/Yoruba movies...watch Hollywood movies with more talking and less action. An example of such is Suits. What kind of friends do you associate with?, you'd have to pick friends that'll sharpen you, and not the ones you're better than.

Ok. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Fowobi84: 10:25am On Oct 16, 2017
Enrol in English language lessons taught by Patience Jonathan
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Ten06(m): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:
I want to improve my English.
I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.

I want to improve but don't know how.
I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.
Pls click on the link below and download this book, it will help you greatly
://www.pdfdrive.net/spoken-english-learned-quickly-e23407135.html#.WeR6SLfLAGU.gmail
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by oglalasioux(m): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2017
Read

Read

Read

Read everything.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by guiddoti: 10:39am On Oct 16, 2017
A lot have been said, may God baptize you with excellent English spirit. As you open your mouth to speak, the utterance of fluency shall fall on you
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:41am On Oct 16, 2017
jaxxy:

U wrote this down so u dont hv much of a problem. Wat aspect of English do u want to improve on? Pronunciation or tenses or where exactly do u goof when speaking English. This will help us know d best way to advise u.

I think it's Tenses,using can,could,have,has,had,May,might,shall,should,will,would..and constructing Good sentences,those are the areas am Having problem.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by overlord77: 10:46am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Read, listen, read, listen, read some more, listen some more and so on.

Also, try to speak more often, hang around those that speak, watch movies by native english speakers etc
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by thecardinal(m): 10:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Listening attentively to world class broadcast such as those of BBC world service may help you. I also suggest reading aloud often. For added value try recording your reading sessions. All the best
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 16, 2017
Josephamstrong1:

clique u mean?
Yeah, thanks.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 16, 2017
teshiam:

Your spot on. Suits has a lot of words that people could learn. When there's someone like Mike Ross grin .
Mike Ross, Harvey, and Jessica hold a good command of English.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 16, 2017
Get a british visa and wen u get there dont mingle with any african stay among the whites speaking and working in their environment stay there for a year or two. When u come back yould come and dash me iphone 8. grin
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by DonBobes(m): 11:11am On Oct 16, 2017
akankemi1:
Ensure you speak English all the time. Don't feel embarrassed when corrected instead take corrections in good spirit. don't watch African magic Yoruba. read more, novels, newspaper magazines etc

Mama nkechi abeg 1 hot isiewu head with goat gbewa mak she use am step down.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Emdee590(m): 11:14am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Hmm bro mine is the reverse :
I want to improve my Hausa. I do speak good Hausa but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.
I want to improve but don't know how. I was brought up with Pure English.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by jaxxy(m): 11:16am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

I think it's Tenses,using can,could,have,has,had,May,might,shall,should,will,would..and constructing Good sentences,those are the areas am Having problem.

Exactly wat I thought. Its ur tenses and yeah it can be embarrassing. All u hv to do is study ur tenses.

Past tense, present tense, future tense, continuous, simple, perfect tenses. Its quite simple to learn and make examples of sentences using them. It will improve ur speech greatly

U cud learn by watching tv bt its better u know the reason they are used and why and how to use them so study all ur tenses 1st. Its on google if u can get a hard copy book.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by josh77(m): 11:16am On Oct 16, 2017
Watch telenovela
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Rick9(m): 11:23am On Oct 16, 2017
Read more books, listen to eloquent speakers, watch intelligent films, avoid NOLLYWOOD. and be a friend to the dictionary.
You come across a strange word, check the meaning before you know it, your vocabulary will be building up.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Deprofessional(m): 11:25am On Oct 16, 2017
ok
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by hysteriabox(m): 11:32am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Can you improve of your spoken English?
Ofcos, can you nah!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by rash47(m): 11:33am On Oct 16, 2017
NairaSand:
i like your story, next step in myy life is getting rid of toxic friends too and application of simplicity when speaking.

Okay....first thing is you need to stop taking yourself serious.

Second thing is to get rid of toxic friends. You need people that believe in you. If you're one of those people that doesn't believe in you, get rid of yourself.

English is overrated. It's 40% what you say and 60% how you say it.

I remember one of my lowest moment in my search for myself.

It was at a naming ceremony. A woman from church was naming her baby. As an over-grown teenager, we turned up [only that I brought my low self esteem along]. One thing led to another and we [alongside an army of teenager] were about leaving, our sunday school teachers saw us and asked where "two people we came with went". I replied and said "They have went home" grin grin grin

A part of me died that day!!!

That day I just knew it couldn't get any worse.

Instead of sulking, I continued to put myself out there. Putting myself in unfamiliar situation, taking baby steps and gradually becoming the man of my dream.

Your guess is as good as mine, my English is still not perfect but I've leaned to talk without fear or intimidation.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by wendy241(f): 11:34am On Oct 16, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Read a novel and practice vocalizing the words as you read. I attribute my good reading, writing and speaking skills to lots and lots of Enid Blyton, Harry Potter and Heartsong books I read when growing up. Nogo dey read all dose 150naira "the return of Sister Amaka" ooo... Those ones dey reduce IQ. Conversely, avoid the novels with too much big grammar.
grin grin grin no kii mi wt laugh ohh
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by tycoon3(m): 11:44am On Oct 16, 2017
Learnt something useful
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by OvaSabi1(f): 11:47am On Oct 16, 2017
You don't have to read any text books or attend classes. Just look for anything you like and enjoy it in English Language. If you like sports, listen to sports analysis and commentary. Read the sports articles at the back page of newspapers. Then try and use these words you have learned to discuss sports with your friends. You don't have to stop watching Yoruba films. My dad wanted him and my mother to speak English alone to us because he wanted us to speak better English. My mum spoke Yoruba to us and we only grew up not knowing how to speak my father's language (Ebira). I had a classmate who was born in the US and I always had higher scores than her in English Language. She always took 2nd position, after me. I watch Yoruba films and speak pidgin English with my siblings, so this does not matter. One of the tricks with speaking it is being relaxed and natural. No need to fake accents and you don't have to add an R after every word. This is a major mistake most naija OAPs make. That is how you will know it is a fake accent. Queen's English sounds more polished and they don't do the R sound like Americans. Listen to Late Odumegwu Ojukwu, Bukola Saraki, Yakubu Dogara, Wole Soyinka, Funmi Iyanda. Note that Funmi Iyanda has an accent but with an excellent command of English Language. I lived in the UK and spoke with a natural Nigerian accent and I always got compliments. Someone once told me that I spoke better than the locals. Let the words go through your brain before it comes out of your mouth. Make a conscious effort to decide (in your head) how each sentence will sound, before it comes out of your mouth. Make sure you pronounce each word till the last alphabet. Example 1: Instead of saying "come an see", say "come AND see". Example 2: "Please do not post adverts in this section". I am sure you omitted the T in "not". You shouldn't. We don't like moving our lips but we should. Make sure your jaw is relaxed. Don't spit on anybody and remember to breathe grin . Lastly, if there is anyone who's spoken English you admire, watch their lips, tongue and jaw. Helen Keller was deaf and blind and she learned how to speak good English just by placing her hands on people's lips and jaws. Best of luck, you can do it.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by mrSerious(m): 11:59am On Oct 16, 2017
Tohsynetita1:
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.

"...if you can be practicing them."

I am not taking English advice from anyone who talks like this, I suggest the OP too shouldn't.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by tycoon3(m): 12:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
I remember my secondary school days when a teacher came to the class and ask our class rep if she had written the note he gave to her to copy on the board I just stood up and shout [b][/b]she have not wrote grin grin
Everyone steered at me and laugh it was as if I should kill myself that moment then the teacher said it OK that's the best way to develop yourself...You people should not laugh him but help him develop himself, since then av been doing personal training by reading anything online and offline it really help
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bobojoshua(m): 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2017
Luiz1:
Go and bought Dele Ashades' A-Z of English
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by teshiam(m): 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
Mike Ross, Harvey, and Jessica hold a good command of English.

Even Louis Litt and Daniel Hardman. Their phrases and use of english just show that they are Harvard Graduates. Why is law practice in Nigeria not sweet like that ?
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
teshiam:

Even Louis Litt and Daniel Hardman. Their phrases and use of english just show that they are Harvard Graduates. Why is law practice in Nigeria not sweet like that ?
'cause Naija is fùcked up. grin
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by alecx: 12:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
Mine is the entire opposite of this.
I was brought up with English and now I want to learn how to speak Yoruba properly.
I'm scared of speaking it because I don't know how to speak it well but I wish to know how to speak it well.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by HomeOfMe(f): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Just read books especially interesting novels,they'll help
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Rajosh(m): 12:22pm On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
Read books. More especially, Novels. Stop watching Nollywood movies/Yoruba movies...watch Hollywood movies with more talking and less action. An example of such is Suits. What kind of friends do you associate with?, you'd have to pick friends that'll sharpen you, and not the ones you're better than.
You're so on point. After seeing suits, Subconsciously I started imitating them. Some Nollywood movies are also good. Not Mr Ibu kind of movies o.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by noskcid(m): 12:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Talk less and listen more
To me that's the best way to learn anything in this life.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Kaybaba5(m): 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
I THINK SOMEBODY CAN IMPROVE ONLY BY WATCHING ENGLISH MOVIES AND READING NOVELS....................

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Debate : Is Educating Female Child A Waste Of Resources? / 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them / How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.