Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,848 members, 7,806,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 (5262 Views)

Didier Drogba Signs For Shanghai Shenhua / Real Madrid's Fixture For The Year 2009/2010 / Adebayor Named African Player Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by rasputinn(m): 12:23am On Mar 12, 2010
Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009
[img][/img]
ACCRA (AFP) - Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was on Thursday named African Footballer of the Year for 2009, the second time the Ivory Coast international has won the award.

Drogba pushed Inter Milan and Cameroon skipper Samuel Eto'o into second place in the vote amongst national team coaches from Confederation of African Football (CAF) member-nations.

Drogba also won in 2006, again ahead of Eto'o, but was denied the continent's top individual prize in 2007 when he failed to attend the awards ceremony in Togo.

Ghana and Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien was third.

TP Mazembe of DR Congo, who clinched the CAF Champions League for the first time in 49 years, were named the best club ahead of Nigeria's Heartland and CAF Confederation winners Stade Malien of Mali.

Mazembe skipper Tresor Mputu Mabi picked up the award for best African player based on the continent.

Sellas Tetteh was voted best coach after he led Ghana to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in September, while Ghana striker Dominic Adiyiah was African Young Footballer of the Year following his goals in the tournament in Egypt.

Algeria were adjudged the best national team after they upset African champions and bitter rivals Egypt to qualify for the World Cup.

http://women.soccerway.com/news/2010/March/12/drogba-named-african-player-of-the-year/

Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by mamagee3(f): 12:34am On Mar 12, 2010
He deserves it, . . grin
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dyabman(m): 12:38am On Mar 12, 2010
Droggyyyyyyyyy i knew u would nick this one. . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Ibime(m): 1:23am On Mar 12, 2010
Drogbas CAF award is purely political to placate him for losing out to Kanoute in 2007.

How can Sammy Eto who copped 36 goals and won everything last season lose to Drogba who only copped 14 goals and an FA Cup. . . or did Ivory Coast win the World Cup?
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dyabman(m): 1:35am On Mar 12, 2010
Ibime:

Drogbas CAF award is purely political to placate him for losing out to Kanoute in 2007.

How can Sammy Eto who copped 36 goals and won everything last season lose to Drogba who only copped 14 goals and an FA Cup. . . or did Ivory Coast win the World Cup?

whatever criteria they use , i really dont care this time! cool Droggy is the best in Africa

waiting for BlueDiva to say something. . . grin
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by RuuDie(m): 5:33am On Mar 12, 2010
utter rubbish. . . .

shoulda been Eto'o or just about any1 from that Egyptian side!
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 12, 2010
RuuDie:

utter rubbish. . . .

shoulda been Eto'o or just about any1 from that Egyptian side!
My sentiments exactly.
What exactly did Drogba do in 2009 to merit winning this award?
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by rasputinn(m): 7:30am On Mar 12, 2010
Ibime link=topic=411903.msg5675334#msg,5675334 date=1268353400:

Absolutely correct and it's a shame that CAF seems to have found a penchant for making embarrasing decisions and choices,this will surely take some shine off the awards,even Drogba himself wont be too impressed
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by aieromon(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2010
Everybody knew Drogba was goin' to nick it immediately he mended fences with CAF concerning the 2007 incident.
Eto'o could not win it cos
*he's a three time winner of the award.
*he's Camerounian.
Besides,if Drogba could lose to Kanoute simply because he failed to attend,it was very easy for CAF to stage this coup and placate Drogba.
I fail to see how someone who won the UCL,La-Liga and was the top scorer for Barcelona lost out to a FA cup undecided winner.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 12, 2010
CAF keeps making itself look ridiculous.
How a treble winner gets bypassed for an FA Cup winner is beyond any right-thinking person.
If the CAF Awards are now political,I wonder why any attention is paid to it.
@aeromon,
Don't agree with your reasons why Etoo couldn't win.
Whoever deserves to win should win it.It's like saying Michael Jackson can't win anymore Grammy awards because he won 8 in 1984.
Excellence should be honoured,no matter how many times it takes,and cases like these make me realise why African Footie with CAF at its helm cannot move forward.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by FBS: 7:55am On Mar 12, 2010
Either way you look at it. . .DD is currently the KING of AFRICAN FOOTBALL according to CAF!
Take it or leave it.  cool  cheesy
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by aieromon(m): 8:01am On Mar 12, 2010
@Eastbay
Those are the excuses CAF used to deny Eto'o his deserved award,i'm sure of it.
Welcome to the jungle
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 12, 2010
Losers deal with it.
Drog is King of Africa.

Quit the hating.
It'll only increase your BP and multiply your bile, leading to more jaundiced analysis. . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by rasputinn(m): 8:59am On Mar 12, 2010
BlueDiva:

Losers deal with it.

LOL
Losers,I'm unaware any nairalander was nominated.Don't you hink Eto'o woulda been a fair choice,sentiments apart
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by aieromon(m): 9:08am On Mar 12, 2010
Losers,deal with it

I don't lose,sorry tongue
I still maintain my stand,Drogba was placated and no be only Eto'o dey play ball wey he wan win all the time?
Drogba lost out in 2007 because he didn't attend the awards gala.
The jungle is full of retarded people.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 12, 2010
These things happen.
Drog was robbed in the UCL by UEFA last season --the Ovredo saga.

CAF now has robbed Eto'o and favoured Drog.
No need for all this long discussions.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by ritchboy(m): 10:16am On Mar 12, 2010
[size=18pt]IT'S A FUKCING DISGRACE!!![/size]
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 12, 2010
BlueDiva:

These things happen.
Drog was robbed in the UCL by UEFA last season --the Ovredo saga.

CAF now has robbed Eto'o and favoured Drog.
No need for all this long discussions.
And it's supposed to be normal,abi?So to recompense Etoo,someone else has to be robbed,innit?What about the first person (whoever it may be)that was robbed?Has he been "compensated"?How does Ovrebo have anything to do with CAF?
BlueDiva:

Losers deal with it.
Drog is King of Africa.
Is that all you have to say?We all know who was king of African Football in 2009.It certainly wasn't Drogba
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On Mar 12, 2010
Yet some Nigerian conspiracy theorist would say Hayatou favours Cameroun/Etoo
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by jalether(m): 4:25pm On Mar 12, 2010
This is clearly a joke, what exactly did drogba do to merit the award?,is it for releasing the"it's a disgrwace mixtape" cheesy.

Eto'o was robbed, plain and simple
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by A40(m): 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2010
Egunje spoil Africa! Oh well this is not the first time we are seeing ojoro canceling ojoro. No be today chest dey front and ikebe dey back its No biggie. So essentially by the 2010 awards the award would go to Eto'o even if Chelsea win the treble (Impossicant) just because Eto'o got robbed in 2009. I laugh in Kunta Kinte
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 12, 2010
TBH,
The claim about being compensated is as laughable as any I have ever seen.
Especially with the season Etoó had.
It first-degree bullsh*t.And Drogba fans know it.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Mar 12, 2010
Wait till you see Nigerians come up with conspiracy theories against CAF and Hayatou claiming he favoured Etoo.

When even a blind man can see that Okocha was not fit to lace Etoo boots at anytime in Okochas career.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2010
It's easy to introduce conspiracy theories.It's a national pastime in soccer-related issues where Nigerians are concerned.It's an easy way to explain a goof.Just like this one.
Anybody who thought Okocha shoulda been African Footballer of the year in 2004 must have an in-grown testicle residing in their brains.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 12, 2010
These things happen abeg.

Did Kanoute deserve his?
Does it make sense to hand the title to a runner up just because the winner didn't show up?

Conspiracy in footie has existed over the years.
I will never forget UEFAs attempt to rob us last year in the UCL.
Fiorentina was robbed recently, Ireland (my beloved country) was robbed also.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by A40(m): 5:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Dayokanu
This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories! Hayatou just like George Bush does not give a phock about anybody. The Award itself is a sham sha starting from when they gave Kanoute rather than Drogba in 08 but two wrongs don't make a right what this means is they may have to give Eto'o the award next year even if Ghana or Ivory Coast win the World Cup
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2010
BlueDiva:

These things happen abeg.

Did Kanoute deserve his?
Does it make sense to hand the title to a runner up just because the winner didn't show up?

Conspiracy in footie has existed over the years.
I will never forget UEFAs attempt to rob us last year in the UCL.
Fiorentina was robbed recently, Ireland (my beloved country) was robbed also.
If you believe in conspiracy theories so much,then maybe Footie must be rigged like wrestling.
As for the CAF Awards,there is no need to bring in any kind of conspiracy theory:CAF is as inept as its leader.It's a daft decision to crown Drogba as player of the year.And any voice in support,whether or not he deserved it in 2008 is unreasonable,to say the least.You need to ask yourself why CAF keeps being so clueless in recent awards and why there is always controversy/suspicion each time the awards are held.Also,why are Essien,Drogba and Etoo the only players up for the awards every year?
You raised the issue of Ovrebo earlier on.And I ask,what does that have to do with anything CAF-related in the choice for CAF's footballer of the year award?
We stretch this conspiracy theory thing too far.If you think Chelsea,Ireland or Fiorentina were robbed,that's your opinion.But to say CAF wanted to placate him for 2008 with this award in the obvious light of Etoo's season,just because "these things happen " is criminal and indefensible.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 12, 2010
Eastbay:

If you believe in conspiracy theories so much,then maybe Footie must be rigged like wrestling.
As for the CAF Awards,there is no need to bring in any kind of conspiracy theory:CAF is as inept as its leader.It's a daft decision to crown Drogba as player of the year.And any voice in support,whether or not he deserved it in 2008 is unreasonable,to say the least.You need to ask yourself why CAF keeps being so clueless in recent awards and why there is always controversy/suspicion each time the awards are held.Also,why are Essien,Drogba and Etoo the only players up for the awards every year?
You raised the issue of Ovrebo earlier on.And I ask,what does that have to do with anything CAF-related in the choice for CAF's footballer of the year award?
We stretch this conspiracy theory thing too far.If you think Chelsea,Ireland or Fiorentina were robbed,that's your opinion.But to say CAF wanted to placate him for 2008 with this award in the obvious light of Etoo's season,just because "these things happen " is criminal and indefensible.

LOL. . .

Really, what else do you expect us to say?

Was Eto'o robbed? Yes.
Was Drog robbed in 08? Yes
Is CAF reputable? No.

I don't know what else you'd rather hear.
You say Eto'o was robbed, true.

My man, these things happen, we have to deal with it.
If you feel so strongly about it you might consider applying for the post of CAF president. wink tongue
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dayokanu(m): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2010
Anybody who thought Okocha shoulda been African Footballer of the year in 2004 must have an in-grown testicle residing in their brains.

Many Nigerians do. Havent you hard about conspiracy theories for Cameroun winning the Nations cup in 2000?

Insert Quote
@Dayokanu
This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories! Hayatou just like George Bush does not give a phock about anybody. The Award itself is a sham sha starting from when they gave Kanoute rather than Drogba in 08 but two wrongs don't make a right what this means is they may have to give Eto'o the award next year even if Ghana or Ivory Coast win the World Cup

Now a Camerounian Samel Etoo was robbed and we dont seem to care but when Etoo wins its always "favouritism"

Awards would always be controversial.  The way I believed CR7 shouldnt have won in 2008 on the back of a woeful Euro 2008 but FIFA thinks otherwise Then I go out and say FIFA supports Portugal
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2010
@BD,
Now we're getting somewhere.
I've never been a fan of CAF.So there's no chance of me applying for president of a bunch of sterile old men with no  s.ex lives.
My gripe with you is that "haters"should live with the award.And while there is as much a chance of lizards growing hair as there is with CAF doing anything other than making themselves look like an overgrown circus act in front of the world's eyes,we all should know when someone is deserving of a title and give it to the rightful winner,instead of sentimental defences like clubside allegiances.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2010
^^^
LOL. . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by eleshin(m): 8:53pm On Mar 12, 2010
etoo deserve the award,its so glaring judging from their personal achievement in d year under review,its nt surprising cos dis same fifa banned togo cos they were killed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wayne Rooney Reveals New Look ! / UCL: Manchester United Vs FC Basel (3 - 3) On 27th September 2011 / What Happened To Manchester United?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.