Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (38197 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos / Sad Memories Of Slavery As GOOGLE Celebrates Anambra Born Olaudah Equiano- PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
rabzy:

Dont put everyone in the same box. no one here is an ancestor, we are just trying to get as much as we can from a very distant past. There are still debates even among ibos as to how strong and the extent ofBenin influence. no one can know for sure. Olauda statements can be taken for what he has said without having to bring in other argument here. He is ibo in a village that has a nominal benin influence, that is not hard to accept and he cant ever say that if he was a benin man or if he is from etsako.

Don’t pay attention to what he’s saying there. I’ve never denied the Benin influence on my people; I even stated that they migrated from the Benin Kingdom to where they are now but they have always been Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Don’t pay attention to what he’s saying there. I’ve never denied the Benin influence on my people; I even stated that they migrated from the Benin Kingdom to where they are now but they have always been Igbo people.
Sweetie dont mind them.
They are just pained that you are still very much Igbo despite your historic connections with the Benin Kingdom.

Igbo amaka grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Ok. Show me the thread where I said that there were no Igbos living under the Benin Kingdom then. I am waiting...

Here is the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3549333/23-year-old-obi-nduka/6#52450450

But I guess it was hammerT that rebuffed it not you.

So sorry.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2017
rabzy:

Dont put everyone in the same box. no one here is an ancestor, we are just trying to get as much as we can from a very distant past. There are still debates even among ibos as to how strong and the extent ofBenin influence. no one can know for sure. Olauda statements can be taken for what he has said without having to bring in other argument here. He is ibo in a village that has a nominal benin influence, that is not hard to accept and he cant ever say that if he was a benin man or if he is from etsako.

Ok
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Which of the posters that have provided tangible proof and I ignored?

giftq posted extensive evidence from Equiano’s book. It’s up to you if you want to believe it or not though undecided.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Which of the posters that have provided tangible proof and I ignored?
Says the man who has PROVIDED NO EVIDENCE for his own claims.

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Here is the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3549333/23-year-old-obi-nduka/6#52450450

But I guess it was hammerT that rebuffed it not you.

So sorry.

I suspected that that was the thread you were talking about. I won’t deny my people’s history. Apology accepted smiley.

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Yes you wanted this on front page when we had not demolished you. You copied the mods. Why did you do that?

And see how unintelligent you are. So this article that roundly condenms and overtly criticizes the igbo race is written by an igbo man. You are deluded, i swear. You are too low for me.

As for the author of that article, i urge you to 'use your head'.

Where on earth did I request for the thread to be moved to front page? Show me.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

giftq posted extensive evidence from Equiano’s book. It’s up to you if you want to believe it or not though undecided.

The only thing from the guy is shouting Igbo Amaka which I have followed him to do same. When he is ready to be serious he will provide it here.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
KemjikaEme:

Actually,it doesn't cost much to google 'The interesting narrative of the life of Olaudah Equiano.
Google will automatically give you straight links to the full text.
Try it!
Unless you are perptually Lazy and arguing for fun.

Okay. Am lazy.

Since you are hard working, why don't you post it here.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

The only thing from the guy is shouting Igbo Amaka which I have followed him to do same. When he is ready to be serious he will provide it here.
Abeg Igbo amaka grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 8:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I love this. I remember discussing with ngozi123 that igbos or can we say some igbos came from Benin kingdom.. .she denied. This was on a previous thread some time ago. One other guy called hammerT was her back up.

Now, here is some one who is a great man, all of a sudden it is agreed that igbos right from Onitcha down to asaba migrated from Benin kingdom.

This argument is just based on history but my greatest disappointment is that some people who don't have anything reasonable to say will tag it to hatred.
some not all igbos did
no one has ever conquered igbos
its because of igbos d brits gave ds country to d north but seeing hw far behind d north was dy were forced to change until 66 and d civil war changed tinz
and since we are talking history why are u trying so hard to distort history?

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 8:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
cao:
I've actually been slacking on that one. Just been more busy at work.
aii
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

This states that he lived in the ‘Igbo’ province and he even spoke in Igbo, making mention of the Igbo market days. When did Bini people start adopting Igbo market days? Also, what does ‘Onye Igbo’ mean in Bini?
Dont quote me out of content. I never he is bini. I said Edo state under the Benin Empire.

Now, what you have done, isn't it better than just jumping into conclusions and assuming that anyone who have a contrary opinion hates igbos.

Just explain further. Simple

Okay. Let me accept this.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
Dont quote me out of content. I never he is bini. I said Edo state under the Benin Empire.

Now, what you have done, isn't it better than just jumping into conclusions and assuming that anyone who have a contrary opinion hates igbos.

Just explain further. Simple

Okay. Let me accept this.

You claimed that he was a Benin man, which he clearly was not. Do they observe the four Igbo market days in Benin? He did not come from present day Edo State. A part from Igbanke, which Igbo communities are present in Edo State? Pray tell...

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Sweetie dont mind them.
They are just pained that you are still very much Igbo despite your historic connections with the Benin Kingdom.

Igbo amaka grin grin

I don’t know why some of them find it so difficult to accept that we are proud of our Igbo heritage.

May God bless you for all your wonderful work defending our people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

You claimed that he was a Benin man, which he clearly was not. Do they observe the four Igbo market days in Benin? He did not come from present day Edo State. A part from Igbanke, which Igbo communities hail from Edo State? Pray tell...

Please show me where I stated that he is a Bini man because I recall saying that he is from estako in Edo state under the Benin Empire/kingdom....Take note, Edo state has other tribes apart from bini.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I don’t know why some of them find it so difficult to accept that we are proud of our Igbo heritage.

May God bless you for all your wonderful work defending our people.
You welcome, nwanyi oma.

The problem sef is that when it comes to Federal Appointments they will remember that you are Igbo/Nyamiri and begin to discriminate against you.

4 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TEYA: 8:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

If you don't agree with him then you must be Muslim and House.
Ipob logic 101.
These guys can be funny sometimes o!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Please show me where I stated that he is a Bini man because I recall saying that he is from estako in Edo state under the Benin Empire/kingdom....Take note, Edo state has other tribes apart from bini.
And we asked you to give the meanings of the following words in Etsako language:

1. Olaudah
2. Equiano
3. Ah-affoe (year)
4. Eboe
5. Oye Eboe
we are waiting for your response

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I know this but they all, barring Igbanke, are grouped in the Edoid language group, no? He is not from etsako, he claimed that he is from esseke. If the two were the same then wouldn’t etsako people be speaking Igbo and practicing Igbo traditions, as Equiano clearly did?

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

And we asked you to give the meanings of the following words in Etsako language:

1. Olaudah
2. Equiano
3. Ah-affoe (year)
4. Eboe
5. Oye Eboe
we are waiting for your response

And I have told you am not from Edo state. But instead of your argument to be constructive, you resulted to cheap insults.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 8:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I know this but they all, barring Igbanke, are classified the Edoid language group, no? He is no from etsako, he claimed that he is from esseke. If the two were the same then wouldn’t etsako people be speaking Igbo and practicing Igbo traditions, as Equiano clearly did?
But you agree that I never said he is bini right?
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

You welcome, nwanyi oma.

The problem sef is that when it comes to Federal Appointments they will remember that you are Igbo/Nyamiri and begin to discriminate against you.

Don’t mind them. I saw one Nigerian poster yesterday claiming that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Ibe Kachikwu were from the South-East just so that he could claim that GEJ was marginalising the South-West in terms of appointments. That was when I learnt that these people have no shame... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
But you agree that I never said he is bini right?

I can’t be bothered to go through this thread so I’ll just take your word for it. Still, it makes no difference as he was not an etsako man, he was a proud Igbo man.

3 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bibe(m): 8:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

check d distance from onitsha to asaba and then to benin
now names
stephen OKECHUKWU keshi
NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA
all minority igbo
u get it now
d main igbo have never been under anyone

Correction please, there's no such thing as minority Igbo or main Igbo. That is a discriminatory remark. Those are Igbo names.
Cheers.

PS: Every race has at some point been under influence of another. The Bini you know today was also at some point under the influence of the Nri Kingdom at its zenith likewise some parts of the Nri Kingdom being under the influence of the Bini Empire.
Historically, at least when considering documented history of ancient "Nigerian kingdoms" the Nri Kingdom had been noted to be the oldest.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Don’t mind them. I saw one Nigerian poster yesterday claiming that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Ibe Kachikwu were from the South-East just so that he could claim that GEJ was marginalising the South-West in terms of appointment. That was when I learnt that these people have no shame... undecided
I told you.
Next thing they will insist that Kachikwu and Iweala are NOT IGBO.

But the marginalization and hate continues.

Thank goodness people are waking up to the mumu-ism

5 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bibe(m): 8:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

check d distance from onitsha to asaba and then to benin
now names
stephen OKECHUKWU keshi
NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA
all minority igbo
u get it now
d main igbo have never been under anyone

Correction please, there's no such thing as minority Igbo or main Igbo. That is a discriminatory remark. Those are Igbo names.
Cheers.

PS: Every race has at some point been under influence of another. The Bini you know today was also at some point under the influence of the Nri Kingdom at its zenith likewise some parts of the Nri Kingdom being under the influence of the Bini Empire.
Historically, at least when considering documented history of ancient "Nigerian kingdoms" the Nri Kingdom had been noted to be the oldest.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bigfrancis21: 8:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Calm down your vociferous behavior. The world knows him as igbo but his wikki says otherwise. Can you mention his igbo name? His wiki said he's from etsako in edo, you people are saying people distorted it. Does wikki also hate igbos to lie about his tribe and origin?

Edo Warrior Kingdom Opposed Atlantic Slave Trade

By Naiwu Osahon (Last update 09/10/2017)

Although over 30 per cent (about a third) of the Atlantic Slave Trade took place in the territory under Edo control, the Bight of Benin region of West Africa, the territory was too vast for the kingdom to police on a day by day and minute by minute basis, to prevent the trade. It was taboo, however, to capture or sell an Edo citizen and because the kingdom reasonably monitored this well, the African Diaspora has no concentration of Edo citizen slaves. Edo Chiefs had thousands of slaves captured in their territorial expansion wars but would not sell any. The Edo belief and saying was: "What level of hunger and deprivation would make an Edo Chief sell his slaves?" Rather than sell, Edo Chiefs helped thousands of slaves to escape from White holding camps in Edo territory. In fact, Edo Oba Eresoyen was shot at in his palace by a White slave merchant because he refused to help with the re-capture of escapee slaves from the White merchant's holding camps, hiding in Edo Chiefs farms in Edo kingdom.

European slave trade in West Africa started with the acquisition of domestic servants in 1522, and warrior kingdoms like Edo (Benin) had plenty of them captured as war booties, but would not sell them. The slave trade was very unpopular with the Edo people. They thought it was silly to sell fellow human beings. Their Obas and nobles were vehemently opposed to the business of slave trade and to the export of the productive fighting male. The Edo, of course, could not control the day to day happenings of the slave merchants, who apparently largely acted under cover at first in the vast territories under Edo hegemony. However, it was forbidden to sell or take a native Edo (Bini) into slavery and so elaborate identification marks on faces and chests were eventually contrived. The Bini, therefore, were hardly ever captured by Arabs or Europeans into slavery.

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

I think people need to really research into the transatlantic slave trade before making assumptions. The rumor that Olaudah Ikwuano was from Bini is as fallacious as it can get, with no factual evidence or proof.

4 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
bibe:

Cheers.

majority and minority according to naija history
we have and shall never deny our brothers
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Kindly provide source to back up your claim. Please don't provide a blog or summarized post.

Thanks
Source is salt and pepper. Just joking. Just buy the man's book and read it. He says he is an Iboe that came from Essaka (Ashaka) in Benin Province.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by ezeagu(m): 9:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
Don't know where or when Olaudah Equiano's Igbo origin was contested.

https://books.google.com/books?id=CXQwDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA190

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Buhari’s Cabinet: Ambode, Bindow, Abubakar To Get Ministerial Appointments / Lawyer To Drag Buhari To Court For Dropping General Title From Name / Man, Dressed As Woman Arrested In N'djamena (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.