Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,099 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics (1195 Views)

When Jubril Came To Mary, Was He A Man Or An Angel? / My Giving In Church Vs My Giving To Others: What Is The Cause?? / Prophet Fufeyin: Now Is The Time To Display Your Wealth By Giving To The Needy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by myboy2010(m): 9:13am On Oct 16, 2017
so sorry for this question but it has been bothering me for quite some time now, why do Catholics gives so much honour to Mary, we call her Virgin Mary whereas that was before she gave birth to Jesus, she didn't die as a virgin... all glory is to Jesus not Mary
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 16, 2017
I Dont Even Know... Shameful Ignorance
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Nbote(m): 9:20am On Oct 16, 2017
U shld b more concerned with ur own salvation dan other church practices...
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 16, 2017
myboy2010:
so sorry for this question but it has been bothering me for quite some time now, why do Catholics gives so much honour to Mary, we call her Virgin Mary whereas that was before she gave birth to Jesus, she didn't die as a virgin... all glory is to Jesus not Mary
Leave those people and concentrate on your salvation. Talk from now till tomorrow they wouldn't change
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by internetpo(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
myboy2010:

I will give you the liberty of doubt here and answer the question. Catholics give so much honour to mary because they believe, she is a perfect creation of God. The one thing God intended man to be while creating Adam - sinless. She was Virgin before gave birth to Jesus and Virgin even after, not knowing any man before or after conceiving our saviour Jesus Christ, not even her husband JoSeph.

if you a catholic I advice you go back and re-read the Catechism of the Church, read with an open mind, Ask the Holy Spirit to Guide you. Mark down any questions you have and find time to get a priest or Good catholic to help you out.

PS: I am not here to argue. I have the liberty to respond or not to your quote. Be civil and I may just respond to your questions If truly genuine.
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
internetpo:

I will give you the liberty of doubt here and answer the question. Catholics give so much honour to mary because they believe, she is a perfect creation of God. The one thing God intended man to be while creating Adam - sinless. She was Virgin before gave birth to Jesus and Virgin even after, not knowing any man before or after conceiving our saviour Jesus Christ, not even her husband JoSeph.

if you a catholic I advice you go back and re-read the Catechism of the Church, read with an open mind, Ask the Holy Spirit to Guide you. Mark down any questions you have and find time to get a priest or Good catholic to help you out.

PS: I am not here to argue. I have the liberty to respond or not to your quote. Be civil and I may just respond to your questions If truly genuine.
Yes, I accept the fact she didn't know any man b4 she conceived Lord Jesus, but she fought for her salvation, she's just like u and I, the only reason she's being recognized is because she conceived the son of God, infact in the Bible, don't worship any false image, all these statues I see up and down, Mary's statue, Jesus' statue, the crucifix we hang on our necks, do not worship any at all, kneel down and pray, commune with God, see let me tell u, if u sleep with a bible on ur chest,thinking " o nothing will happen " I bet u, the demons will shift the book and do to u whatever pleases them, it is only when u speak the word of God with faith that it becomes a two edged sword and it causes commotion and earthquake in Hell! Thank you
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
any Idol of Jesus or Mary shouldn't be worshipped,
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Originakalokalo(m): 5:05am On Oct 17, 2017
armylord:
any Idol of Jesus or Mary shouldn't be worshipped,

1. The 24 elders in the book of Revelation bowed down and worshiped the Lamb.

2. The disciples of Jesus worshiped him. He didn't rebuke them.

That said,

Jesus called Mary "woman" bcoz she is not her mother.

Jesus corrected the Pharisees by saying that David is not his father. Yet he came through his lineage.

Nobody's blood was involved in his conception.

Nobody's egg or sperm. He is a wonder.

Greatest "Prophet" ever lived. No one else has this record of his wonderful birth.

You ever wondered why his name is called THE EVERLASTING FATHER.?

The devil is only using this to deceive gullible minds to cause division.

Mary should not be worshiped.

Mary cannot pray for you. She is in the bossom of Abraham resting

The only one who can intercede for you is he that is sitted on the right hand of God.

He is closely sitted with God.

Pray through him.
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by internetpo(m): 8:36am On Oct 17, 2017
armylord:
Yes, I accept the fact she didn't know any man b4 she conceived Lord Jesus, but she fought for her salvation, she's just like u and I, the only reason she's being recognized is because she conceived the son of God, infact in the Bible, don't worship any false image, all these statues I see up and down, Mary's statue, Jesus' statue, the crucifix we hang on our necks, do not worship any at all, kneel down and pray, commune with God, see let me tell u, if u sleep with a bible on ur chest,thinking " o nothing will happen " I bet u, the demons will shift the book and do to u whatever pleases them, it is only when u speak the word of God with faith that it becomes a two edged sword and it causes commotion and earthquake in Hell! Thank you

No one Worships Mary. Neither do we worship any statue. Catholics are generally misunderstood for idol worshippers just because of the many symbols and signs of veneration we have.

Let me define idle worship for you, according to Wikipedia - Idolatry literally means the worship of an "idol", also known as a cult image, in the form of a physical image, such as a statue or icon. In Abrahamic religions, namely Christianity, Islam and Judaism, idolatry connotes the worship of something or someone other than God as if it were God.

The statues/images/trees these people bow before are the gods, themselves. But not the same for Catholics. If you see any catholic wearing or bowing down to any statue, relic or religious sacramental like crucifix. Please note that we are not worshipping it, that symbol/image is a reflection of the real person and not the real thing, to whom worship or praise is meant to be. We pray or bow before them but the real prayers go to the one represented by the image. No Catholic Worships these images as God. They are just replica images to help in worship.

Let me give you an example, I have a beautiful picture of you and I admire, I peck and I praise the picture. Am I worshipping you by those actions? Does it mean I adore the picture than the real you? No! The praise goes to you, the picture is just a representation of you. The same way Catholics see images, statues and symbols of worship. They simple help us in worship just like songs of praise helps you get into the spirit.

By the way, God supported the creation of Images and symbols of worship. Here are few examples from the Bible, Exodus 37 , 1 - 10, numbers 21, 4 - 9.
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by An2elect2(f): 10:42am On Oct 17, 2017
armylord:
Catholicism is paganism Yea true but @bold Lol Nopss. Mary didn't fight for her salvation. Likewise every other Christian. Salvation is by grace through faith alone. Requires no effort or help from the sinner but is completely a gift given to man, from start to finish it is God saving men according to His sovereign will.
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Dnaz(m): 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2017
We ll continue to honour her till u are all dead and rotten. Even then the honouring will continue. U ll join us in the 2nd life ie if u make heaven
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Dnaz(m): 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2017
An2elect2:
Catholicism is paganism Yea true but @bold Lol Nopss. Mary didn't fight for her salvation. Likewise every other Christian. Salvation is by grace through faith alone. Requires no effort or help from the sinner but is completely a gift given to man, from start to finish it is God saving men according to His sovereign will.

We are saved by grace through faith(not alone). Not by works( works alone) so that no man will boast.
We are created in Christ for GOOD WORKS. Which God has prepared so that we will walk in them Eph 2:8-10

What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says He has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?
James 2:14
So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.
James 2:17

But some one will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.
James 2:18

Do you want to be shown, you shallow man, that faith apart from works is barren?
James 2:20

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when He offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
James 2:21

You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works,
James 2:22

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
James 2:24
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by An2elect2(f): 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2017
Dnaz:

We are saved by grace through faith(not alone). Not by works( works alone) so that no man will boast.
We are created in Christ for GOOD WORKS. Which God has prepared so that we will walk in them Eph 2:8-10

What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says He has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?

But some one will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.
James 2:18

Do you want to be shown, you shallow man, that faith apart from works is barren?
James 2:20

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when He offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
James 2:21

You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works,
James 2:22

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
James 2:24

Scriptures are to be in harmony right? They can't contradict. From Genesis down to the apostles we are told that Abraham was made righteous by faith and the epistles have these almost on all pages confirming that men are made righteous by faith.

So why is James saying men are justified by faith and works and not faith alone like the other scriptures? Are we dishonest men and women? If not let us face this squarely. No scripture contradicts another but when we come across one that seems to contradict ( because of our misunderstanding) we must interpret contextually.

James started thus in 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory with respect of persons. Apart from stating that the faith of Jesus
does not discriminate against persons, James is bringing to our notice something profound which many ignore which is that the faith we preach is alive and bears fruits. And one of the fruits it does not bear is discrimination. Did you see that? smiley

James is saying if you have the faith of Christ prove it through your works because even the devil believes that there is God. Anybody can claim they have faith but there is only one faith that bears fruits. That is the faith of Jesus, the faith we preach. If you claim to have the faith of Christ and it does not bear fruits/good works in you then your faith is not of Christ but a dead faith.

Can this dead faith save a man? No
Which faith saves? The faith that produces works. If it does not produce works or bears fruits that faith is not alive and cannot save.

vs 14 What does it profit my brethren, though a man say he hath faith and hath no works? can faith save him?

James is saying "in scriptural harmony" that how can a man say he has faith but yet we can't see goodworks or changes in him. It means that man has another faith which cannot save. This faith is a dead one.

vs 17 Even so faith if it hath no works, is dead, being alone.

yeah this
Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them
There are quite a number of things to note here. Foremost is believers are God's workmanship. This implies that we are God's skilled work. God is moulding us into what He wants us to become even without our say. He foreordained bearing fruits of holiness through us, His handiwork. So every good works in a believer's life are as a result of the inner workings of God in him or her. Philippians 2:12,13

UNTO GOOD WORKS. if we don't show good works then our faith is not rooted in Christ but is dead.

Abraham's obedience to offer Isaac upon the altar was the evidence of his faith in God. He wasn't justified by works before God but before men. But he was justified by faith alone before God who searches the hearts unlike men who judge from the outside.
Only God can see faith in us but men need to see our works to confirm our faith.

Works fulfil(show perfectly) faith. This is like saying the bearing of fruits shows seeds beneath the ground we can't see.

vs 21,22,23 Was not Abraham our father justified by works. when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
See thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect.
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God and it was inputted unto him for righteousness, and he was called the friend of God

Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Dnaz(m): 2:46pm On Oct 17, 2017
An2elect2:

Scriptures are to be in harmony right? They can't contradict. From Genesis down to the apostles we are told that Abraham was made righteous by faith and the epistles have these almost on all pages confirming that men are made righteous by faith.

So why is James saying men are justified by faith and works and not faith alone like the other scriptures? Are we dishonest men and women? If not let us face this squarely. No scripture contradicts another but when we come across one that seems to contradict ( because of our misunderstanding) we must interpret contextually.

James started thus in 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory with respect of persons. Apart from stating that the faith of Jesus
does not discriminate against persons, James is bringing to our notice something profound which many ignore which is that the faith we preach is alive and bears fruits. And one of the fruits it does not bear is discrimination. Did you see that? smiley

James is saying if you have the faith of Christ prove it through your works because even the devil believes that there is God. Anybody can claim they have faith but there is only one faith that bears fruits. That is the faith of Jesus, the faith we preach. If you claim to have the faith of Christ and it does not bear fruits/good works in you then your faith is not of Christ but a dead faith.

Can this dead faith save a man? No
Which faith saves? The faith that produces works. If it does not produce works or bears fruits that faith is not alive and cannot save.

vs 14 What does it profit my brethren, though a man say he hath faith and hath no works? can faith save him?

James is saying "in scriptural harmony" that how can a man say he has faith but yet we can't see goodworks or changes in him. It means that man has another faith which cannot save. This faith is a dead one.

vs 17 Even so faith if it hath no works, is dead, being alone.

See this! Remember.
Ephesians 2:10
[b]For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them
UNTO GOOD WORKS. if we don't show good works then our faith is not rooted in Christ but is dead.

Abraham's obedience to offer Isaac upon the altar was the evidence of his faith in God. He wasn't justified by works before God but before men. But he was justified by faith alone before God who searches the hearts unlike men who judge from the outside.
Only God can see faith in us but men need to see our works to confirm our faith.

Works fulfil(show perfectly) faith. This is like saying the bearing of fruits shows seeds beneath the ground we can't see.

vs 21,22,23 Was not Abraham our father justified by works. when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
See thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect.
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God and it was inputted unto him for righteousness, and he was called the friend of God

Hahahaha u will not kee me with this ur explanation.
U said a faith that does not bear fruit/ good works is a dead faith or non saving faith. This is the explanation I ve been waiting for. But it baffles me how u still believe this is not faith and works.
Let's agree that James was talking about a non saving faith.
OK now let's look at James 2:24
A man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Ur own interpretation ll be

A man is justified by works and not by(non saving faith) alone
In other word u are suggesting that good works + non saving faith justifies. It is simply not possible and does not make sense
Or

So( Non saving ) if it has no works is dead.
Does it mean that non saving faith with works justifies. Still makes no sense
Or

What does it profit my brethren if a man says he has faith(non saving/dead) but has not works ? Can his faith(non saving) save him. What kind of tautology will that be.it makes no sense.
In James 2 , the holy spirit is actually saying that faith alone(justification by faith alone) is dead faith. It may also please u to know that the word faith and alone appear together only once in scriptures and the Holy spirit Rejected it as a Heresy.
Paul was big on faith but he never preached faith alone.
Work out your salvation with fear and trembling
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith WORKING through love.
Galatians 5:6
Paul saved we are saved by grace apart from the works of the law( works of the Torah) Mosaic law. He was against the Jewish gang that wanted the gentiles to observe the customs of the Jews. Works of the law and good works are not the same thing
It's amazing that people misunderstood Paul's message from then thus prompting Peter to react.
And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2 Peter 3:15

speaking of this as He does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures.
2 Peter 3:16

Finally the holy spirit put an end to this heresy through James.
Faith without works is dead
A man is justified by works and not faith alone.

This is too clear.there is no disharmony with Paul unless u misinterpret paul
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Dnaz(m): 3:14pm On Oct 17, 2017
If someone with faith must work for his faith to be valid. His faith is simply not valid being alone
.faith and works go hand in hand. U can't say faith alone
Re: Why Is So Much Honour Giving To Mary By Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:51pm On Oct 18, 2017
myboy2010:

rationally it is simple, much honor Mary receives is because she is the mother of our Lord and God, Christ Jesus.

I watched a video the other day of Benny hinn at Christ embassy praising Chris Oyakhilome's mum with several titles and the applaud of the congregation simply because she gave birth to a pastor, what more the mother of the redeemer of humanity?.... if you had the opportunity to create your own mother what would you create... Jesus had that opportunity and he filled her with grace... she lived an honorable life, fulfilled God's will to the fullest.

What is the criterion for honor if not fulfilling the will of God.

scripturally, I find it in those words of praise God addressed to her in Luke 1:28, in the example of the holy woman Elisabeth in Luke 1:42 and in her prophetic words in Luke 1:48.

God praised her, scriptures records holy people people praising her and prophesied that she will be honored for all generation... and 2000yrs of the christian faith records Christians speaking in her honor we are happy to fulfill that prophecy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oyedepo Sacks Top Winner's Chapel Officials (see Why) / Brotherhood Of The Cross And Star / Coronavirus Healed In Spain By God Of Chosen (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.