Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist (22712 Views)

1st Birthday Of Nathaniel, Faith And Prince Godswill Edward Celebrate Son / Obasanjo & Goodluck Jonathan At 85th Birthday Of Gabriel Igbinedion Thanksgiving / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by cstr1000: 2:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

Sources, please?
Don't swallow everything you read on blogs.
Read his own autobiography, damnit.
It is only on nairaland where bigots argue over the origin of a man after he has written his own origin.
What is the meaning of olaudah in etsako?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ivolt: 2:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
cstr1000:

Shut the hell up. How many etsako slaves are in the new world?
What is the correlation between etsako and igbo also known as eboes in ancient West africa?
And who is the greatest etsako man in the past 100 years ,that the greatest slave from Africa would come from there?
We hear of the Igbo landing in Virgina where thousands of Igbo slaves resisted slave masters to the death. Give me an example of an etsako landing.?
I know you are a Yoruba trying to be mischievous. Go and resolve your historical servitude to bini kingdom before coming to tell us who is Igbo and who is not.

You are too dumb to my liking.
Mention me, when you are ready for an intelligent debate
based on verifiable evidence.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 2:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

What of Equiano in Bini language
equiano means ' troubles' or ' affliction '

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 2:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Olaudah Equiano was always proud of his Igbo heritage and never claimed that he was a Benin man so what are you talking about here?
Keep deceiving yourself. Babangida is proud northerner but we all know he's Yoruba. Here is his evidence. No where it is written he's igbo.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by cstr1000: 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

You are too dumb to my liking.
Mention me, when you are ready for an intelligent debate
based on verifiable evidence.
ermmm. There is nothing intelligent about arguing over the origin of a man after he has told you his own origin.
You are nothing but a bigot.

8 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ngozi123(f): 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

Sources, please?
Don't swallow everything you read on blogs.

Who told you that I got my information from blogs? I learnt about him and the abolition movement in school and did further research on the matter afterwards. giftq has already provided evidence that proves that he’s Igbo so why are you asking for more proof?

5 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
[s]
cstr1000:

Shut the hell up. How many etsako slaves are in the new world?
What is the correlation between etsako and igbo also known as eboes in ancient West africa?
And who is the greatest etsako man in the past 100 years ,that the greatest slave from Africa would come from there?
We hear of the Igbo landing in Virgina where thousands of Igbo slaves resisted slave masters to the death. Give me an example of an etsako landing.?
I know you are a Yoruba trying to be mischievous. Go and resolve your historical servitude to bini kingdom before coming to tell us who is Igbo and who is not.

[/s]Shut your pig mouth. He's is correct, he's is an edo man. Fact will never lie. Kiss the truth.

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by cstr1000: 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Keep deceiving yourself. Babangida is proud northerner but we all know he's Yoruba. Here is his evidence. No where it is written he's igbo.
eboes is etsako. Are you satisfied, mr pigandidoiot? cheesy
You should also replace eboes with etsako in british colonial documents too.
no be only etsako.

11 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Sleyanya1(m): 3:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
knowledgeable:

Culture....., the power of his literary ability (literature) has a historic connection to the contemporary Igbo literary abilities recognise all over the world. You can type in "YouTube Chris Ubani Igbo world view ".

'I tell you, there has been an Igbo brand right from history'.

Spotless truth.

True Sir, I was opportune to receive a video of his brief history from an Uncle. Indeed his wisdom is awesome. He even later ruled over the whites. The sad part was that I don't think he ever got to meet his sister again.

9 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ngozi123(f): 3:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:

I’m sorry but I did not see where Olaudah claims that he’s a Bini man anywhere in your screenshot? Did you forget to post it?

He was always proud of his Igbo heritage and was actually one of the first people to compare Igbo culture with Hebrew culture. If he was a Bini man then why was he so focused on Igbo culture and why did he speak Igbo and not Bini? Pray tell...

13 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by cstr1000: 3:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
[s][/s]Shut your pig mouth. He's is correct, he's is an edo man. Fact will never lie. Kiss the truth.
How many edos were even taken to the new world?

6 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:
[s][/s]

A great man says he is Igbo, and that is what we should regard him as
Babangida said he's a northerner, even we all know he's from Yoruba. I can say I am from Ghana because I live with them. We all know many footballers like Henry that came from Cuba but was born and spend his whole life in France.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Who told you that I got my information from blogs? I learnt about him and the abolition movement in school and did further research on the matter afterwards. giftq has already provided evidence that proves that he’s Igbo so why are you asking for more proof?
ivolt thinks that Igbo-phobic rants are enough to disprove the Igbo identity of Mazi Ọlaụda Ikwuanọ grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
cstr1000:

Edo ko, ode ni.
Ok, keep claiming him, let see if that will change his identity. Igbo ko, gboko ni
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
cstr1000:

Edo ko, ode ni.
Edos were forming suffersticated and selling other tribes into slavery, until the Bini kingdom collapsed completely.

11 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

show us ONE evidence to prove that he spoke Bini language
Technical knock-out.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by cstr1000: 3:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Ok, keep claiming him, let see if that will change his identity. Igbo ko, gboko ni
Abeg stop disturbing me.
You think I care about some bigot ?
His Igbo connection is in all the international libraries including youtube. If it pains you, go and change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NqrHIVcyGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe49RzB75IQ

7 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by timsTNA: 3:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Babangida said he's a northerner, even we all know he's from Yoruba. I can say I am from Ghana because I live with them. We all know many footballers like Henry that came from Cuba but was born and spend his whole life in France.

I am not a Yoruba man, I don't argue based on conspiracy theories.

Babangida is Yoruba is one example of numerous unverifiable and totally unfounded conspiracy theories you Yoruba argue using

7 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I’m sorry but I did not see where Olaudah claims that he’s a Bini man anywhere in your screenshot? Did you forget to post it?

He was always proud of his Igbo heritage and was actually one of the first people to compare Igbo culture with Hebrew culture. If he was a Bini man then why was he so focused on Igbo culture and why did he speak Igbo and not Bini? Pray tell...
Go search and shows us here where he claimed to be igbo or any evidence that proved him igbo. I knew him long ago as edo man. I will help you with one write up here where one you igbo said, igbo is claiming the guy. Show me his quote where he claimed to be igbo. Odunlade claimed ijebu, because he was born there and lived among them. But we all know he's from ekiti3, but he can't even speak ekiti but ijebu. Just like babangida that can't speak a bit of Yoruba, but he's Yoruba.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

I am not a Yoruba man, I don't argue based on conspiracy theories.

Babangida is Yoruba is one example of numerous unverifiable and totally unfounded conspiracy theories you Yoruba argue using
I schooled in ogbomoso, I can take you to his family house in ogbomoso, he's from ogbomoso. Tell me any Hausa or northerner that bears Gbadamosi as name. Our first born married igbo lady from mbise in imo state. Their children only came home once. They can't speak a bit of Yoruba. Even ordinary come in Yoruba, they don't know, but they speak igbo fluently but does that mean they are not Yoruba?
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by DavidEsq(m): 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
OP, u say he died in 1797 yet u say he was freed in 1967. Pls did he resurrect, get captured again and was freed in 1967 undecided
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
cstr1000:

Abeg stop disturbing me.
You think I care about some bigot ?
His Igbo connection is in all the international libraries including youtube. If it pains you, go and change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NqrHIVcyGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe49RzB75IQ
This isn't about bigot. Evidences proved it. He's is edo man. Mind it.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by higgs: 3:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
In his auto biography, he made it clear that he is Igbo.If You read the book,there is no doubt about that at all.But then,most of us on nairaland would rather argue than read.

6 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Lol... Na you get time my sis. Person don talk say e be Eboe. I honestly see nothing worth arguing over!

7 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ngozi123(f): 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Go search and shows us here where he claimed to be igbo or any evidence that proved him igbo. I knew him long ago as edo man. I will help you with one write up here where one you igbo said, igbo is claiming the guy. Show me his quote where he claimed to be igbo. Odunlade claimed ijebu, because he was born there and lived among them. But we all know he's from ekiti3, but he can't even speak ekiti but ijebu. Just like babangida that can't speak a bit of Yoruba, but he's Yoruba.

I don’t care about all of your Yoruba nonsense- who, here, is concerned about Yorubas? Olaudah Equiano is an Igbo man.

What does “oye Igbo” (anglicised spelling of “onye Igbo”) mean in any Edoid language? Why would a Bini man claim that he was from the ‘Igbo province’? Pray tell...

Edit: TheKingIsHere

This is evidence from Olaudah Equiano’s own book that shows that he was an Igbo man. He spoke extensively about his Igbo culture in that book so I recommend that you read it.

5 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Luiz1:
Technical knock-out.
Dont mind these Igbo-phobic dullards

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by nawtyme: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
uzoclinton:
Bro... Nigerians are cowards, that's why we just sit down and watch old fools drain our country's purse without doing nothing.. That's cowardice bro... When was the last time we protested against bad leadership? That's cowardice Bro... Notwithstanding the fact thst he is owing workers sakary, Rochas spent 590mil building statues.... Did the people come out enmass to protest... No. We are only brave on social networks.... And That's cowardice bro.. Its high time we accept what we truly are...
The recent activities in the south east has shown that when people are united, there is no stopping. The government knows how to infiltrate us with "us". If we get rid of the the bad "us" we will be fine.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by backtosender: 3:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
This people will not amaze us with envy
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by bigfrancis21: 3:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
Abeg we don argue this thing tire for the other two threads, even articles from Google Search recognize his origin is a matter of controversy whether na Eboe(Igbo) or Eboe (Edo) or Etsako(Essaka) or Isseke in Anambra. Bottom line be say he tried his best to abolish slave trade in Britain.

I was on the other thread. His origin from Etsako is only a rumor or mere wishful thinking. Olaudah left enough linguistic evidence in his book to show he was Igbo. Moreover you cannot be comparing spellings of yore to our modern day spellings when as of the 1800s most of our languages, be it Igbo, Edo, Etsako etc., had no standardized alphabet/spelling system. Olaudah spelt his native Igbo words the best he could, especially from the way they sounded. Several words that he wrote in his book that point to his Igbo origin are:

Ahffoe = Afo = Year in Igbo language
Ahffoe wayca = Afor Nwaika = ancient men, notably short, in Igboland who were skilled in reading of the year and seasons in Igboland
Mbrenche = Mgburichi = Titled chiefs/men in Igboland known by their 'ichi' facial marks.
Eke, Orie, Afor and Nkwo = 4 days of the Igbo traditional week
Eada = Ede = cocoyam in Igbo language
Ola uda = Loud voice/sound that is heavy
Oyibo = fair-skinned person (though the origin of this word is debated) etc.

His so-called Etsako origins are only rumors spread on nairaland. It has been established academically worldwide that he was an Igbo man.

Also, did the Etsako people sell their people into slavery? It is well-documented that during the slave trade period, the Edo-speaking peoples hardly sold their own people into slavery, but millions of Igbos were carted away and to this day thousands of afro-descended people in the Caribbean and Americas trace their ancestry to Igboland via DNA testing but not one person has traced their ancestry to Etsako land. What is your rebuttal to this?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ndubueze92(m): 3:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
hucienda:
A great man.
All we have now are greedy people, who can do nothing to better or liberate their brothers from the clutches of poverty and operation.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Pigsandidiots: 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I don’t care about all of your Yoruba nonsense- who, here, is concerned about Yorubas? Olaudah Equiano is an Igbo man.

What does “oye Igbo” (anglicised spelling of “onye Igbo”) mean in any Edoid language? Why would a Bini man claim that he was from the ‘Igbo province’? Pray tell...

Okay, if you say so. I give up.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by bigfrancis21: 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
This isn't about bigot. Evidences proved it. He's is edo man. Mind it.

Are you aware that the Edo people or Bini people hardly sold their own people into slavery? Just don't make statements out of personal bias because you feel you can. DNA testing being done by african americans and afro-descended blacks proves this. Not one person has had the test done and their origin traced to Edoland but thousands have traced their ancestry to Igboland. So how did Olaudah Equiano become an Edo man? Do the names, Olaudah Ikwuano (Ikwuano happens to be a LGA in Abia state) sound or have any meanings in Bini language? He called year 'affoe' or 'afo' in his book, is that what you call 'year' in Etsako language? His father was a titled man called 'mbrenche' or 'mgburichi', does that have any meaning in Etsako language? What linguistic evidence did he leave in his autobiography that proves without definite doubt that he is of Edo origin? Do the traditions he outlined in his book resemble those of the Edos? He mentioned clearly that his people had no king (Igbos have/had no kings but Binis did/do) but were ruled by the elders of the village (republicanism in Igboland) and were subjected to the empire of the Bini king who lived very far away from his village. So how do any of these point to an Edo origin, young man?

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Buhari Apologises To Lawmakers Over Row With Aso Rock Guards / 2019: Niger Delta Militants Endorse Buhari / Edo Ex-Militants Choose Buhari, Condemn Jonathan - The Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.