Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible (4285 Views)

Killings In The Bible Are Not The Same As Killings By Muslims / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:43am On Mar 12, 2010
Numbers 31:17-18

17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
Numbers 31:17-18.

By the way, the "boys" in verse 17 are children. Here god doesn't just ignore the murder of children; he orders it.

Can someone tell us the the difference between God and the crazy men that killed the women and children?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:48am On Mar 12, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411546.0.html
That is a picture of what killing close to 6000 people would look like.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by DeepSight(m): 10:17am On Mar 12, 2010
The Judaic God is interesting!

After issuing many such genocidal orders he turns over a new leaf and incarnates on Earth as Jesus preaching love and pacifism.

God grew up! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by jagunlabi(m): 10:23am On Mar 12, 2010
Deep Sight:

The Judaic God is interesting!

After issuing many such genocidal orders he turns over a new leaf and incarnates on Earth as Jesus preaching love and pacifism.

God grew up! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Unfortunately, his word and his followers did not. cry sad
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by oloriooko(m): 12:00pm On Mar 12, 2010
@ poster.

I think you are obviously a novice to the bible. Please do not display your ignorance of the bible; it's pathetic!

Let me put you straight about the whole gist, but before i do that, i hope you have the capacity to take (ingest and digest) what am about to dish you!?

Because "But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." Heb 5:14

So you see, its a long gist which am sure you cannot handle because it takes the help of the writer to understand the hidden truths in the verse you quoted.

If you are ready just let me know, I will open your eyes bro! wink
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Tudor6(f): 12:52pm On Mar 12, 2010
oloriooko:

@ poster.

I think you are obviously a novice to the bible. Please do not display your ignorance of the bible; it's pathetic!

Let me put you straight about the whole gist, but before i do that, i hope you have the capacity to take (ingest and digest) what am about to dish you!?

Because "But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." Heb 5:14

So you see, its a long gist which am sure you cannot handle because it takes the help of the writer to understand the hidden truths in the verse you quoted.

Oga, is the passage not pretty clear or does the statement "Kill all the boys. And KILL all the women" have two meanings?

Instead of explaining you're here telling us about "strong meat" and suya. . . You neva chop this morning?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by toneyb: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2010
oloriooko:

@ poster.

This guy is completely deluded to the extent that he will rather lie to himself than face or accept reality. The problem is that if these verses were from the koran or any other religious book, He will clearly see and address it for what it is. I just can't get it when people turn a blind eye to the irrationalities of their religion yet clearly see those of others?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by debetmx(m): 2:45pm On Mar 12, 2010
stupid thread
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by toneyb: 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2010
debetmx:

silly thread

If it were about allah and his own killing injunctions, I bet you will be here contributing to the thread. One thing I've noticed is that when confronted with something unpleasent about the bible, such as Jephthah killing his daughter, Christians will try to get around this by saying that this passage was mistranslated, or that you've misinterpreted what was clearly stated as some are trying to do here on this thread. But isn't this the wrong approch to take? It looks like what's going on here is that the person's moral standards are at odds with the bible, so they try to change what the bible says. But if the bible is the infallible word of god, then isn't this approach completely backwards? Wouldn't it be more sensible to change your moral standards to fit the bible, not the other way around? After all, if the bible says that smashing babies' head against rocks is a source of happiness, why argue otherwise? Instead of trying to explain it, why not just accept it, and force yourself to be happy in that situation?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Marlbron: 3:32pm On Mar 12, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Numbers 31:17-18

17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
Numbers 31:17-18.

By the way, the "boys" in verse 17 are children. Here god doesn't just ignore the murder of children; he orders it.

Can someone tell us the the difference between God and the crazy men that killed the women and children?

Chris, thanks for this, but there are many things you need to know about the old testament. After Adam sinned, God Almighty stopped relating directly with man. He related with man through angels. All of the old testament God, like Jehova etc are all angels. It was an angel that gave Moses the ten commandments and the Mosaic Laws viz "an eye for an eye, etc". These things had to happen because the one that needed to reconcile man to the Almighty had not come. When he came, he did the reconciliation by shedding his blood, a pure blood, for all of mankind. For Christians, Muslims, Hindus Atheist etc,all humans have now been saved through that blood.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
one occult man confessed some years back it wasnt God who spoke to Moses at mt sinai.what happened at mt sinai?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by toneyb: 4:40pm On Mar 12, 2010
Marlbron:

Chris, thanks for this, but there are many things you need to know about the old testament. After Adam sinned, God Almighty stopped relating directly with man. He related with man through angels. All of the old testament God, like Jehova etc are all angels. It was an angel that gave Moses the ten commandments and the Mosaic Laws viz "an eye for an eye, etc". These things had to happen because the one that needed to reconcile man to the Almighty had not come. When he came, he did the reconciliation by shedding his blood, a pure blood, for all of mankind. For Christians, Muslims, Hindus Atheist etc,all humans have now been saved through that blood.

Typical response from a Christian which is only geared towards damage control to his/her faith.

Here is what the bible really is.

Bible + history = thousands of years of changing and recording of non historical events.

Judaism + Torah = Christian's old testament which some believe its laws are obsolete while others believe they are not.

Scribes + bible = years of mistranslation, misunderstanding, add ons and removed passages, errors.

Christians + messed up Bible = covering it up and pretending it is perfect and just needs an interpretation.

Overall: When you find things that do not add up or make sense in your bible, make Poo up and pretend that others are getting it wrongly.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by lomaxx: 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2010
Mtchheeeeeewwww
*walks away*
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Fhemmmy: 9:55pm On Mar 12, 2010
So many ideologies
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by lomaxx: 10:04pm On Mar 12, 2010
Mtchheeeeeewwww
*walks away*
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Kay17: 6:42pm On Mar 13, 2010
the extent of self deception is staggering
oloriooko:

@ poster.

its more like shocking revelations!
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 13, 2010
what kind of nutjob pulls up an event that happened tens of thousands of years ago and uses it to mock the victims of the jos crisis?

all this in the name of atheism?

if you must quote passages that are beyond your comprehension, then do you know if the people involved wouldnt have been wiped out the same way, by their enemies who would also be acting on instructions from their own gods?

that thing always bites your brain and makes you act erractic and stupid no matter how long you tried to maintain a fake aura of respectability.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:24pm On Mar 13, 2010
Shock and awe will always work now when people hear jos they would remember moses.

Please those of you who have the 'annointing' care to explain?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 13, 2010
^^ care to mention which people with the "anointing" you're referring to?

surely you can name names unless you're a faceless coward behind a computer.

Chrisbenogor:

Shock and awe will always work now when people hear jos they would remember moses.

you wish.

you really think you're that important, and that your opinion counts for something outside your psycho circle.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:28am On Mar 19, 2010
tpia.:

^^ care to mention which people with the "anointing" you're referring to?

surely you can name names unless you're a faceless coward behind a computer.

Jeez, you said those people with annointing can explain, I was under the impression that you will produce those names.

Better still can you kindly explain how the actions of these jews not constitute war crimes?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by blackcypha(m): 12:49pm On Mar 19, 2010
AGAIN AND AGAIN these issues will come up ,
xtians/muslims better accept reality of their irrational books and let us live in peace,
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:59pm On Mar 19, 2010
^^am waiting to hear how they justify these killings.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by soloj1(m): 11:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
First, the quoted passage has nothing to do with the Jos killings and was lifted out of context. God commanded Moses to tell the Isrealites to go to war with five kings of the midianites! Unlike the Jos genocide, this was a war! All the five kings who were later caught and killed were all armed and ready for the war. The Jos victims were attacked while they were asleep. Secondly, the Isrealites were chosen by God to be set apart from the adulteries, idol worships and corrupting influences of the nations around them. The Midian women have through one, Balaam caused the Isrealites to commit trespass against God and they were punished by a plague. The Isrealites were commanded to kill the women and male children to compensate for the past and prevent a future re-occurrence. Third, before the advent of the Geneva Convention, it was an ancient tradition to kill male children in war!  The reason is obvious,  Ask king Solomon to tell you what 'foreign women'  led him into, sad
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Mudley313: 12:05am On Mar 20, 2010
First, the quoted passage has nothing to do with the Jos killings and was lifted out of context. God commanded Moses to tell the Isrealites to go to war with five kings of the midianites! Unlike the Jos genocide, this was a war! All the five kings who were later caught and killed were all armed and ready for the war. The Jos victims were attacked while they were asleep. Secondly, the Isrealites were chosen by God to be set apart from the adulteries, idol worships and corrupting influences of the nations around them. The Midian women have through one, Balaam caused the Isrealites to commit trespass against God and they were punished by a plague. The Isrealites were commanded to kill the women and male children to compensate for the past and prevent a future re-occurrence. Third, before the advent of the Geneva Convention, it was an ancient tradition to kill male children in war!  The reason is obvious,  Ask king Solomon to tell you what 'foreign women'  led him into,

just like osama bin laden n his 9/11 cohorts, just like the fulani savages of jos, they too, like the hebrew fundamentalists here, believe god chose n commanded them to commit atrocities against innocent women n children (according to u) to set apart people of different belief system as theirs; n in the same vain, justifying genocide n the mass slaughter of the innocent (including children,haba) in the name of god

n u said unlike jos, "this was war". same way hitlers mass slaughter of 6 million innocent jews in WWII was during a time of war as well. same logic u're using to defend ur genocidal god

n about ur geneva convention excuse, so u mean to tell me now dat humans (who set up the geneva convention) have more morals n ethics than ur all loving god

like toneyb summed up above:

Overall: When you find things that do not add up or make sense in your bible, make Poo up and pretend that others are getting it wrongly
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:28am On Mar 20, 2010
solo.j:

First, the quoted passage has nothing to do with the Jos killings and was lifted out of context. God commanded Moses to tell the Isrealites to go to war with five kings of the midianites! Unlike the Jos genocide, this was a war! All the five kings who were later caught and killed were all armed and ready for the war. The Jos victims were attacked while they were asleep. Secondly, the Isrealites were chosen by God to be set apart from the adulteries, idol worships and corrupting influences of the nations around them. The Midian women have through one, Balaam caused the Isrealites to commit trespass against God and they were punished by a plague. The Isrealites were commanded to kill the women and male children to compensate for the past and prevent a future re-occurrence. Third, before the advent of the Geneva Convention, it was an ancient tradition to kill male children in war!  The reason is obvious,  Ask king Solomon to tell you what 'foreign women'  led him into, sad
And someone said I do not have respect for the victims that died, what absolute rubbish you have just written,

God commanded moses abi, well is it a surprise that God commanded the jihadists too? huh?
Who declared war the isrealites and the reason was that they were idol worshipers? That is reason to go to war with somebody?
One woman causes the isrealites to serve other Gods and for that reason all the women and children deserve to die?
And you think you are any different from the fulani herdsmen? eh?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 1:06am On Mar 20, 2010
chrisbegonor, you have no respect for the victims who died on either side, in Jos.

If you did, you wouldnt have seized the opportunity to start this daft thread.

If you want to draw analogies, why not take examples from the USSR which was a non religious state where atheism was the official policy.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:42am On Mar 20, 2010
what about this story pulls your buttons eh tpia?
Its your business whatever analogy you want to draw, killing of women and children is wrong whether carried out by atheists, christians or muslims. Look around you its the religion section here, so why dont you buckle down and tell us how they were justified to have killed the women and children, or how moses is any different from the commander of the fulani herdsmen?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 20, 2010
^^ what you fail to grasp is everywhere has similar stories.

The atheism ones are even more recent than these ten thousand year old analogies you're pulling up.

so why not use examples that are closer to your personal belief system. Or are you afraid of truth facts?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:53am On Mar 20, 2010
tpia.:

^^ what you fail to grasp is everywhere has similar stories.

The atheism ones are even more recent than these ten thousand year old analogies you're pulling up.

so why not use examples that are closer to your personal belief system. Or are you afraid of truth facts?
You can open a thread for that one and I will openly condemn anyone atheist or muslim, but this one is for christians, oya answer and stop deflecting, were the jews justified to kill those women and children?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 20, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

You can open a thread for that one and I will openly condemn anyone atheist or muslim, but this one is for christians, oya answer and stop deflecting, were the jews justified to kill those women and children?

did the jews themselves have it easy?

And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way.

5And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

6And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+21&version=KJV

as for your question:

Numbers 31:3

And Moses spake unto the people, saying, Arm some of yourselves unto the war, and let them go against the Midianites, and avenge the LORD of Midian

so where do you want to start your search for justification all those eons ago? All of this was discussed quite clearly in the new testament, which you dont believe in, so why not waka pass.
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:09am On Mar 20, 2010
tpia.:

did the jews themselves have it easy?

as for your question:

so where do you want to start your search for justification all those eons ago? All of this was discussed quite clearly in the new testament, which you dont believe in, so why not waka pass.
You have not still said why the women and children should be killed, that is what we are waiting for. So the fulani herdsmen did not have it easy earlier in January or is it february now they retaliated does that justify the killings?

Abeg where was the justification explained in the new testament?
Re: The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible by noetic16(m): 2:22am On Mar 20, 2010
@ OP

its rather uninteresting that the OP and other atheists try to make sense of the ridiculous OP all in an effort to antagonise xtianity. The fundamental issue remains whether or not moses was in the same shoes as the people of Jos? was moses fighting a war? . . .were the boys in question war captives or not?. . . , how does this relate to jos? . . is jos in a state of war? . . which parties in jos have declared war on each other?

The ridiculous state at which some folks go to show their folly is fast becoming disgusting. . . . .what EXACTLY is the similarity between the OP and the jos crisis?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? / 5 Superpowers From The Bible That We Would Love To Have / Is Sperm/egg Donation A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.