Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

How To Understand High Blood Pressure Readings - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Understand High Blood Pressure Readings (456 Views)

I Dont Understand This Feeling Please, I've Never Felt This Way Before. / Please I Need Readings For My Blood Test Count / Please, I Need Readings For My Blood Test Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Understand High Blood Pressure Readings by leeyack: 3:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
Two numbers make a blood pressure reading.

Systolic pressure: This is the first number. It shows the pressure in your arteries when your heart beats and pumps out blood.

Diastolic pressure: This is the second number. It’s the reading of the pressure in your arteries between beats of your heart.

Four categories determine blood pressure readings for adults:

READ ALSO:EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (HYPERTENSION)

Healthy:A healthy blood pressure reading should be 120/80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg).
Prehypertension:The systolic number is usually between 120 and 139 mm Hg, or the diastolic number is between 80 and 89 mm Hg. Doctors may not treat prehypertension with medication. Instead, your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes to help lower your numbers.
Stage 1 hypertension: The systolic number is between 140 and 159 mm Hg, or the diastolic number is between 90 and 99 mm Hg.
Stage 2 hypertension:This stage of hypertension is very severe and dangerous. A systolic number over 160 mm Hg or a diastolic number over 100 mm Hg is a sign of an advanced stage of hypertension.
A blood pressure reading is done with a pressure cuff. For an accurate reading, it’s vital you have a cuff that fits. An ill-fitting cuff may give inaccurate readings. Blood pressure readings may be different for children and teenagers. Ask your child’s doctor for healthy ranges if you’re monitoring your child’s blood pressure.

Treatment options for high blood pressure

A number of factors assist your doctor determine the best treatment option for you. These factors include which type of hypertension you have and what causes have been identified.

Primary hypertension treatment options

If your doctor diagnoses you with primary hypertension, lifestyle changes may assist reduce your high blood pressure. If lifestyle changes alone aren’t good enough, or if they stop being effective, your doctor may prescribe other medication.

Secondary hypertension treatment options

When your doctor uncovers the underlying issue causing your hypertension, treatment will focus on the other condition. For example, if a medicine you’ve started taking is creating increased blood pressure, your doctor will try other medicines that don’t have this side effect.

Sometimes, hypertension is persistent despite treatment for the underlying cause. In this situation, your doctor may work with you to develop lifestyle changes and prescribe medications to help reduce your blood pressure.

Treatment plans for hypertension often evolve. What worked at first may quit working. Your doctor will continue to work with you to refine your treatment.

Medication for high blood pressure
READ MORE:http://healthymen101.com/2017/10/16/how-to-understand-high-blood-pressure-readings/

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Natural Remedies To Cure Stretch Marks / 9 Lifestyle Tips To Avoid Diabetes Complications / The Cure For Hepatitis B And C That You Didn't Know...{with Pic}.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.