Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? (28986 Views)

How Do I Convince My Family To Allow Me Marry An Osu / Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? / My Pregnant Girlfriend Wants Abortion. How Do I Convince Her To Keep It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tommynico(m): 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
tossie101:
Me marry yoruba man?.
Hmm odikwa egwu.
IT CAN NEVA HAPPEN..
I neva even consider edo na yoruba.
Na who you be wey you no go fit marry Yoruba, your mates wey marry dem nko, you beta pass them?.........you beta carry that your smelly ass and move off before you pollute the air. undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tosyne2much(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2017
dingbang:
very nauseating... Let me see any of my parents that will tell me that rubbish.. No support for them again
Especially when they are coming up with ridiculous reasons
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tosyne2much(m): 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2017
Positivepoint:

Bros those same family members are the ones u will disturb when things ain't going right. Who takes care of ur kids after u death or incapable?
Are there no people who have no family members but are married?

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tommynico(m): 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2017
Nobodys:
is this really necessary?
Yoruba gals are dirty, agreed. Igbo gals are a public domain......you con dey ask if it was necessary?......what model of brain are you using?

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by DebateNigeria: 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2017
Amhappy:
Love is never enough. If the family you are marrying into give you hell eeeh,you go renounce love by force. Family support is needed in marriage especially for the lady because men too dey Bleep up. And if you add the difference in language,custom;prostrate, call a boy/girl you fit born uncle/auntie, Omo Ibo nickname etc. It doesn't worth the stress. Convince your parents or find another person. Or you can wait,after like 3-5 years they may agree as they see their daughter aging without getting married.

Looks like you you've had a bad experience (or maybe someone close to you).
People marry from the same village or clan and all these still happen. Just pray to meet a good partner that God has sent to you, your missing ribs. All these talk about family support will be bull crap. I have seen at least two successful families who married without parental consent (one of the couples have been married for 33 years and both their parents are dead but they still live happily. They share their story to encourage love. They didn't talk to their parents for 15 years).
The fact that someone is your father or mother doesn't mean he truly loves you or mean well for you, otherwise fathers won't take their daughters, parents won't sell their children or even use them for rituals. My dear, it is their life, let them make that decision. They have more years on earth than their parents.

2 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Originalsly: 4:07pm On Oct 17, 2017
Be not unequally yoked..... what will happen when one cooks what is taboo for the other?....under whose customs will the children be raised? ... these major problems will still be there even if your ehmmm.... friend goes ahead and marry without the blessings of the parents.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
Amhappy:
Love is never enough. If the family you are marrying into give you hell eeeh,you go renounce love by force. Family support is needed in marriage especially for the lady because men too dey Bleep up. And if you add the difference in

language,custom;prostrate, call a boy/girl you fit born uncle/auntie, Omo Ibo nickname etc.
It doesn't worth the stress. Convince your parents or find another person. Or you can wait,after like 3-5 years they may agree as they see their daughter aging without getting married.

My dear asin ee..
this is a story for another day.
U have said it all.
Cant marry outside my tribe biko.
In situations like this.
The ladiea suffers d most.

6 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Horlufemi(m): 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2017
blackbeau1:
then there are people who will stand in their place and bless the marriage .

even bigots?
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by blackbeau1(f): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
Dutchey:
thats why they are our parent, they will always forgive us no matter what...learnt that so many times
they'll forgive you, yes but they'll never forgive your partner . They'll always accuse him or her of influencing you to do the wrong thing

2 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Icon79(m): 4:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
A while back, a friend of mine wanted to marry a beautiful Yoruba girl but her parents adamantly refused because "he's Igbo".

Fast forward to today: The nice Igbo man is very happily married with 3 kids while the Yoruba babe is still very single and heading towards 40.

O pari

stopthecycle:
nairalanders, your advice please, someone needs your help. a friend of mine from the east wants to get married to a yoruba guy, both families are against it cuz they both want their children to marry from their tribe, my friend tells me they want to run away and get married in court...do you support this? what advice would you give them please...

5 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

Na who you be wey you no go fit marry Yoruba, your mates wey marry dem nko, you beta pass them?.........you beta carry that your smelly ass and move off before you pollute the air. undecided

If e pain u go and die.
U people are too tribalist and dirty.
Same way u dnt allow ur daughters marry igbo same way i wont marrt a Yoruba.

BE U THE LAST MAN ON EARTH.

9 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by blackbeau1(f): 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
Horlufemi:

even bigots?
bigots or not, you need your parents blessings . Marriage isn't a joke. It's not bf/gf.

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nobodys(f): 4:14pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

Yoruba gals are dirty, agreed. Igbo gals are a public domain......you con dey ask if it was necessary?......what model of brain are you using?
u look mature so act it... Who agreed dat yoruba girls are dirty?? What has dirtiness got to do with tribe and what has being a slut have to do with a tribe . Must we all be tribalistic We are educated for Godsake...later when whites start calling us names, we shout racist up and down and we arent better off with our unnecessary tribalism...

5 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2017
blackbeau1:
they'll forgive you, yes but they'll never forgive your partner . They'll always accuse him or her of influencing you to do the wrong thing
Exactly

3 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Adaumunocha(f): 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2017
Family support and blessings are important in a marriage.

2 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by bentlywills(m): 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2017
tosyne2much:
I still don't understand why A GROWN UP MAN will give his family members the chance to sit down to decide or discredit whom he should marry or what tribe he should marry, on the ground of stereotypes and tribalism . It's nauseating I must say

Bro is not a thing of grown up man, Family is a strong Union they can make or break you

p-square is a case study

Some family tek that too serious

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2017
Love is meant to be enjoyed, not endured.. I believe they'll not want you both to live with regret for life.. There's a way you'll tell them, call your church elders into this... #justsaying
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Newboss(m): 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2017
Just get her pregnant. That's the best solution. cool
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2017
j1mmy:
The main tribalists in Nigeria are igbos and hausas.
I suspect the yoruba refused because igbo is involved, no one likes them at home and abroad! Another tribe and they might consider.

There will be another civil war in nigeria against igbos, marry one at your own risk!

The question here is who will be so senseless in Igboland to give his daughter to useless tribes that are not Igbo, I don't see any reasonable family doing that only the outcast.

4 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2017
BigPappi:

Am Edo....

Prostitution things, Igbos say NO

2 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2017
thunderbabs:

If the IBO man na Muslim nkor? undecided

Which muslim? Are you drunk, nothing like Muslim Igbo.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2017
Bruno3000:
same here dear, am sad each time someone mistakes me for an IBO guy... very annoying set of homo sapiens

Apes are even mistaken, God forbid.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by salt1: 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2017
There is already a problem if both parents are refusing. Women don't ever forget or get over this initial rejection. She will continue to feel vulnerable and insecure knowing the man's family didn't want her. Men usually cope better.
I know an Igbo man/Yoruba woman marriage of 21years. On the outside, you can rank them as happy but even with four children, the woman is still feeling unwanted and a perpetual stranger. She makes her children feel so too. It gets worse when they have the smallest normal marital misunderstanding.
These things can be complex but love is never enough.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2017
Olabestonic001:

How do you come up with this demonic suggestion?
I am full fledged Yoruba and my wife is from the Royal blood in Anambra, yet, we didn't have this problems.
And forget all these Yoruba and Igbo pooh on NL; if you touch my wife, you'll live to regret it!
Good enough, my in-laws do not reason as some IPOB do. When I met the King, I was more than impressed and knew that no matter our degree of tribalism, many people are still filled with their humanity.

Lies from pit of hell.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Sleyanya1(m): 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2017
OP, I understand totally.

Firstly both the lady the guy must Love themselves and be sure to a great extent about the love ( not infactuation, lust or the wrong kind)

Secondly they must put God first cuz I wanna believe they're Christians.

... Lastly they must penetrate the Hearts of their parents by convincing every other part of their family members (siblings esp.).

My elder and only sis got married to a Yoruba guy. I logically without sentiments convinced my mum ( ma father had no ish about it) and made her understand that there are only good and bad people everywhere even within the Igbos.

If it's about the distance in terms of region, just pray for your son in law to be good, have the money and live long. Distance is always settled with enough money ( that's why we have airplanes).

Today, everyone is happy. I've two nephews with Yoruba names I like damilola et Ayo.

My In-law no dey carry me play cuz he learnt of how I stood for his case. cheesy cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nword22: 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2017
Nazeren:

Haha yoruba girls aren't dirty. But better than igbo girls who are known to be sluts.

Bro, nothing like igbo slut, even when they try they won't bang your tribe, in other note both your old and young ladies are sluts in dirty land.

2 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Slymonster(m): 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2017
Very funny..When a man beat his wife of the same tribe,they blame the man or even sometimes his family but when it's a different tribe marriage.They blame the tribe...This is how nigerians reason...

You can be in the same tribe and suffer a lot and also be in different tribe and suffer too.Just allow God lead you and make sure your love is always there.When a man is ready for marriage,you need to have this mentality that it is your marriage and not our marriage.Same thing goes,it is my wife and not our wife or husband.Have that mentality,you can conquer any devil.

4 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2017
TruePass:
Not worth the stress.

Love dey sweet when u start new.
But over time there will hurdles and problems, mind you it must come.

So who will u fall to cheesy

That's when u look back and see u walking alone like Liverpool.

Even the Bible says go to your tribe n marry grin

No love, marriage or relationship without problems on d long run.

Op na TruePass I give u so, if u like play enter throwing grin

sekem:
It's not a friend of yours

It is you

But anyway sha

Tribe matters... a lot!

So no need convincing the parents

What we the elders sat down to see, you young, foolish and dumb wasted youths of nowadays can never see. tongue

well said brother.

tribe brings unity, family values, cultural upbringing and gives the children an identity.

marriage is not just about the union of two.people but of two.families. its not mere dating.

its also easier to adjust considering the similar mentality when it comes to food, socio political views , customs, LANGUAGE, etc

religion is different from tribe. tribe predates religion. it is like human species.

people should thing about their future.

6 Likes

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by slam7000(m): 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

Post by Nazeren:

Tribe matters to me. Can never marry an igbo shiit.

@tommynico,

Did you see this post? What is your view?

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2017
pcguru1:

Wow this is highly offensive even as a Yoruba man, it's disgusting. That's a terrible mindset

thata his personal choice. none of your business. dont be a typical leftist

although he shouldnt have insulted the Igbos.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by ikemesit4477: 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2017
ALOWONLE419:
.TRIBE MATTERS A LOT TO ME O angry AS A MUSLIM, I CAN NEVER MARRY OFF MY DAUGHTER TO MY TRIBES MAN WHO IS A CHRISTIAN OR IPODS MEMBERS angry
see where una mentality has landed you people, That is why majority Muslim of ladies are always dash out just to leave her father's house, imagine a poor farmer getting married to 10 wives!

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by slam7000(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2017
Bruno3000:
same here dear, am sad each time someone mistakes me for an IBO guy... very annoying set of homo sapiens

You look like the "very annoying set of homosapiens" too?? May God purge and help your diseased mind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Option To Land A Good Wife? / Wish A Nairalander And His Twin Sister A Happy Birthday. / Why Are Men Outraged Over Paternity Fraud?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.