Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,147 members, 7,780,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:29 AM

How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? (28829 Views)

How Do I Convince My Family To Allow Me Marry An Osu / Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? / My Pregnant Girlfriend Wants Abortion. How Do I Convince Her To Keep It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2017
Opiletool:

No, he found that love because his step dad is human. Once you view others from the concept of humanism and individualism, your sense of judgement would improve greatly.

Right deep inside u.
U know im saying the truth, its difficult to see a yoruba man show such love to step son.
"Igbo step son" for that matter, u and i know what im saying dear.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by blackbeau1(f): 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
Horlufemi:

Parents blessings. What if you're the only two people remaining. You'll still not marry because of parents blessings?
but the posters friend isn't the only one remaining is he ?
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 17, 2017
Words do not teach. You have to show them.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by EbuGeneral(m): 7:36pm On Oct 17, 2017
Even the bible said marry from your tribe. God warned Solomon.

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by graphiti: 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2017
stopthecycle:
ok, what of a case of prgnancy now, what would you suggest they do?

The issue of tribal bigotry when it comes to marriage should never be underestimated!

Let d woman born 7 children for d man, it doesn't count to them. Perhaps u may take a cue from peter (p-square) okoye's wedding to Lola and d aftermath with d okoye family.
Bigots will forever be bigots irrespective of education/wealth!
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Rucheen(m): 7:48pm On Oct 17, 2017
codemaniacs:
Tribe matters... Our ancestors never broke the rule until the coming confusionists whyte people.

Must she marry him

She get luck sef
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Humility017(m): 7:51pm On Oct 17, 2017
tosyne2much:
If her family members are against it, just try your best to erase any stereotypical belief they hold against your tribe but if things remain the same, kindly go for another lady to save yourself from family wahala
some people are not just matured by brother...common sense should teach rhat there exist good and bad people in every tribe...
sometimes I see our Christian practises as rubbish and gross hypocrisy...if we still judge and relate wit people on the basis of their tribe or race....

what's the meaning of being a Christian then...claiming to walk in love...

love sees no tribe, no race or defect...it sees...no family background also...

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by ttmax09(m): 7:52pm On Oct 17, 2017
ALOWONLE419:
.TRIBE MATTERS A LOT TO ME O angry AS A MUSLIM, I CAN NEVER MARRY OFF MY DAUGHTER TO MY TRIBES MAN WHO IS A CHRISTIAN OR IPODS MEMBERS angry
Abeg wetin concern tribe and religion now undecided undecided undecided
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tosyne2much(m): 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2017
Humility017:

some people are not just matured by brother...common sense should teach rhat there exist good and bad people in every tribe...
sometimes I see our Christian practises as rubbish and gross hypocrisy...if we still judge and relate wit people on the basis of their tribe or race....

May God bless you my brother.. Some people were even attacking me for my comment
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tommynico(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2017
tossie101:

Lol ok o.
but If ur step dat was Yoruba and ur mum igbo.
He wouldnt show u that love.

Thats just the fact.
It's all about the personality. He is a loving person, even if he was a Yoruba and my mum was an igbo woman, he would still show same love since he has it in his person.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Humility017(m): 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
tosyne2much:
May God bless you my brother.. Some people were even attacking me for my comment
many lack sense...my bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tommynico(m): 8:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
tossie101:

Right deep inside u.
U know im saying the truth, its difficult to see a yoruba man show such love to step son.
"Igbo step son" for that matter, u and i know what im saying dear.
Is the step son not human? Are there not igbo men who can't marry a single lady, even when the supposed step child is even from thesame igbo tribe.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tommynico(m): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2017
Humility017:

God bless you immeasurably throughout your life time
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by OlaSpeaker(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2017
sagod:
The truth is that those who intend to marry MUST seek for and obtain the CONSENT, SUPPORT AND BLESSINGS of both parents. The consequences of doing otherwise could be unimaginable. Many modern day opinionists may be disagree but the truth remains the truth.
what about orphans who as no parents
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tosyne2much(m): 8:26pm On Oct 17, 2017
refreshrate:

Guy forget that thing
Anything wey hot must cool after - Mugabe's second law of thermodynamics.
Let them not like you with time dem go chill no be today we begin hear this type thing. Eventually, they always cool down

OP two options
1. Both of them (even though I know it's you but no wahala) should get two friends each to stand as witnesses then face ikoyi registry abeg. After that send whatsapp message to her popsi with scanned copy of the certificate. He can't do squat!

2. Knack the babe enter pregnancy, send message to her mumsi, that OK o you've heard they can take their daughter but your consignment that she's holding nothing must happen to it. Make sure you're pulling one ear and squinting one eye when telling her mumsi for good measure

Tosyne2much baba no too para for these people jare, na so so to dey fear dem sabi. Meanwhile if I hear say you do nikkah I no get IV walahi I go find you do you strong something grin
Baba, I go surely let you know if I wan wed nah cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Apina(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2017
Olabestonic001:

Apen abi what's your name
Go and read your comment again and get your head checked.
I thought ur case was just physical but clearly someone from ur village has a hand in ur madness undecided
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by vicben27(m): 8:45pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

You might be right, but when love finds you, it might not be from your tribe.
I've meet woundaful ladies outside my tribe when I was just dating for experience but I always let them knw it won't lead to marriage because I knew what I was searching for! God soo love me ,that he gave me my heart desire! if you know what you want you don't let random things find you. you search to find it! only then can you truely be fullfil.

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
Nazeren:

Then you're not a real Yoruba man. Go and ask your mother who your father is.

I hear you
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by GOFRONT(m): 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2017
I hope say una don do DNA
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by chieni(f): 9:50pm On Oct 17, 2017
if I were to be in their shoes I will tell my parents that I am not getting married if it's not him. when you stay for like a year they will have no other option than to agree. on the other hand, they should be 100 sure they looove each other. as for getting pregnant before marriage, they should not try it cos if they do and they finally get married, they might begin to blame each other, by saying after all you suggested I get pregnant. if I had known and bla bla bla
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Humility017(m): 10:38pm On Oct 17, 2017
tosyne2much:

bro...the last lady that turned me down...did so because of my tribe...
she said...herr parents don't support them marrying outside their tribe...she told me her father won't bless the marriage...

despite all effort to try convince..her..how much I love her....

I don't know why our people from the south east are so tribalistic when it comes to marriage...
over 4 ladies I have come across right from university days all say same thing above...

I have made up mind to marry from the south-south...reason because they r less tribal....

I don't wanna marry frm a family whose only tool of accessment is the tribal affliations and not character

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by cstr1000: 10:40pm On Oct 17, 2017
I rarely see igbos creating threads about how they were rejected by another ethnic group though many cases like that abound in real life.
It is always other people creating threads about Igbo people and how we rejected them and their sad proposal.
Must all of una marry Igbo?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Humility017(m): 10:43pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

God bless you immeasurably throughout your life time
to be honest wit you....
many parents are parochial minded...
my Dad warn me of one thing prior his dismiss never to allow tribal sentiments influence my choice for a life partner...

I am feed up....many youths who have no sense...of their own

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Humility017(m): 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2017
cstr1000:
I rarely see igbos creating threads about how they were rejected by another ethnic group though many cases like that abound in real life.
It is always other people creating threads about Igbo people and how we rejected them and their sad proposal.

nobody crave to marry igbo mind you...love is not totally predictable....
you can love anyone from any tribe...and such proposal should be assessed by the content of a man's character and not his tribe...
I have seen intertribal marriages bloom and also I have seen tribal marriages bloom as well....likewise both gone the other way....
what matters is not tribe of the person you marry...but the person himself...or herself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2017
The lesser the difference between two people,the easier it is to adjust.
When a couple � is newly wed.The husband and wife have no time for anything except each other,they shut their doors and windows and immerse themselves in a world of love ❤.
But,when those windows open,the first thing to fly out is love....if u want a happy � marriage � you can't just listen � to ur heart.

#staycool#
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by cstr1000: 10:55pm On Oct 17, 2017
Humility017:

nobody crave to marry igbo mind you...love is not totally predictable....
you can love anyone from any tribe...and such proposal should be assessed by the content of a man's character and not his tribe...
I have seen intertribal marriages bloom and also I have seen tribal marriages bloom as well....likewise both gone the other way....
what matters is not tribe of the person you marry...but the person himself...or herself.

Then move on when the parents don't want the union. They obviously have their reasons.
I know a young Igbo guy, a theoretical physicist based in the US, he was rejected by the parent of the Yoruba damsel he already wanted to marry for being igbo.
The girl cried and cried , nothing. The parent were stubborn as a rock, and my guy moved on to a beautiful Igbo lady he met at a TED X conference. It is as simple as that.
This thread is unnecessary, and some crazy people have used it to paint the Igbo nation as the sole patron of tribalism when we all know it cuts across.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 11:28pm On Oct 17, 2017
tommynico:

It's all about the personality. He is a loving person, even if he was a Yoruba and my mum was an igbo woman, he would still show same love since he has it in his person.

Thats not the point.
Tell urself the truth
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by tossie101(f): 11:34pm On Oct 17, 2017
Humility017:

bro...the last lady that turned me down...did so because of my tribe...
she said...herr parents don't support them marrying outside their tribe...she told me her father won't bless the marriage...

despite all effort to try convince..her..how much I love her....

I don't know why our people from the south east are so tribalistic when it comes to marriage...
over 4 ladies I have come across right from university days all say same thing above...

I have made up mind to marry from the south-south...reason because they r less tribal....

I don't wanna marry frm a family whose only tool of accessment is the tribal affliations and not character

U are talking rubbish we all know Yorubas ar the core tribalist..
Right from birth their parents train their daughters to hate igbo men ..

Igbo gals can marry from any tribe.. but u yorubas taught us to be tribalistic.
So we learnt very well smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Relationship56(m): 11:50pm On Oct 17, 2017
hmmn you need to see this,5 Interesting Nigerian Marriage Traditions-> http://www.frabidel.com/blog/5-interesting-nigerian-marriage-traditions/
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Joe88(m): 12:03am On Oct 18, 2017
Stop using he word 'tribe'! It is derogatory.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by omhor(f): 12:30am On Oct 18, 2017
Icon79:
As the Spanish people would say, 'the couple owns the marriage, the family owns the wedding'. So just tell them, "It's your wedding, our marriage". Their job in the whole thing was to plan the wedding .... everything about whom to marry and when to marry should be left for the couple to decide.

O pari

wow!! I like your comment. You hit it hard. Unfortunately, they will never listen.
Re: How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? by Masterclass32: 12:53am On Oct 18, 2017
cstr1000:

The thing tire person.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Most Painful Thing Done To You By Your Parents / Mother's Day: Share Those Annoying Things Your Mum Used To Do You Now Appreciate / Lady Dedicates Her NYSC Certificate To Husband As She Completes Service (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.