Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,859 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

What Does Afonja Mean? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Afonja Mean? (846 Views)

El Rufai Son Was Insulting An Afonja Pretending To Be Igbo / What Does The S/west Produce That Compares With The North? / What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Afonja Mean? by Ioseph(m): 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2017
Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by rlauncher(m): 5:15pm On Oct 18, 2017
Ioseph:

Afonja was the Aare-Ona-Kakanfo (military general and commander), stationed by the Alaafin of Oyo(Yoruba Emperor) to guard the northern frontier of Yorubaland (Ilorin) against Fulani invasion. He betrayed the Alaafin and the Yoruba people enabling Ilorin to fall under Fulani control. Google the story for more information.
Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by Ioseph(m): 7:15pm On Oct 18, 2017
rlauncher:

Afonja was the Aare-Ona-Kakanfo (military general and commander), stationed by the Alaafin of Oyo(Yoruba Emperor) to guard the northern frontier of Yorubaland (Ilorin) against Fulani invasion. He betrayed the Alaafin and the Yoruba people enabling Ilorin to fall under Fulani control. Google the story for more information.

Ok I see, but I see it used as an insult?
Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by Probz(m): 11:03pm On Oct 18, 2017
It’s a term used for Yorubas.
Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by yanshDoctor: 11:12pm On Oct 18, 2017
Ioseph:

Ok I see, but I see it used as an insult?
someone who betrayed his people for an intruder. and was betryed too by the intruder. afojan was killed and fulani takes his place and control.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by Flashh: 11:16pm On Oct 18, 2017
Great people.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by proudlyYoruba(m): 12:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Afọnja was a rebel, a generalissimo of the Aláàfin, Ilorin was the headquarters of the Oyo General, Afonja, who rebelled against the empire and helped bring about its collapse with the assistance of the Fulani. The rebellion was powered by Nupe and Bornu Moslem slaves.
Re: What Does Afonja Mean? by rlauncher(m): 8:01pm On Oct 19, 2017
Probz:
It’s a term used for Yorubas.

By those who hate Yoruba people.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

No Automatic Ticket For Buhari - Okorocha / Anambra Election: INEC Officials Left Stranded As Voters Refuses To Show Up / Yaro Makama, 1000 Others Dump APC, Joins Atiku In PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.