Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (34207 Views)

We Will Start Charging A Fee To Use X - Musk / Can Power Bank Spoil A Phone Battery? / Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Holysax29(m): 6:47am On Oct 19, 2017
Sheun001:

I noticed that my dad's 4000mAh battery lasts longer than mine (4000mAh too) and I use laptop to charge at times so I don't know if that's the cause

I guess your dad no dey chat up slay mama's
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by toprealman: 6:50am On Oct 19, 2017
victor8269:
Studies has shown that Charging your phone with a low current rated charger, USB or laptop source weakens the battery and makes the phone discharge faster. An equivalent rating source like say a 2.1A USB or charger or power bank improves the battery life and increases the talk time of the charged battery. Every battery has its permissible number of charging, so charging every two minutes because of fake charger is surcharging yourself in the long run
...power bank improves the battery life...you say. Are you for real?
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
Sheun001:
Hello Nairalanders.....

Does charging a phone with a laptop spoil the phone's battery

Engineers in the house I need your opinion

Yea, it does.

But it depends on the USB cord ur using.

I once used a VOSMOS USB to charge my Samsung phone with my laptop and within 2 weeks the battery swelled up n spoilt.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by just2endowed: 7:34am On Oct 19, 2017
I use laptop to charge as last resort. Yes it damaged phone battery on the long run.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Ishilove: 7:36am On Oct 19, 2017
shedy03:

I think it's the other way round. charging phone on laptop spoils the laptop battery.
I can personally attest to this. It spoilt my brand new hp laptop battery. Luckily the laptop was still under warranty to I took the lappy to their help centre and had the battery changed.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Emeka71(m): 8:02am On Oct 19, 2017
I think is still cool to charge with laptop provided you are using a good USB chord; BTW I noticed my flash drive can no longer open any files I save on the flash; only opens files that have been saved since before this era.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by etimocity(m): 8:22am On Oct 19, 2017
yes sir. if generator as generally so call a pass my neighbour can definately wicking your phone battery how much more battery to charge battey.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:58am On Oct 19, 2017
Sheun001:
Hello Nairalanders.....

Does charging a phone with a laptop spoil the phone's battery

Engineers in the house I need your opinion

No it does not,
What spoils a battery is over voltage, under voltage , degradation due to age, extreme temperature conditions and physical abuse.

The Problem with charging with a laptop is, you have what we call a shadow charge as the current that enters a laptop is to hold it while exchanging data, if you want a strong charge from your laptop you have to bridge the data cable coming from the phone side, I think that is the white and green cable coming from the phone end, then sellout ape the side coming from the laptop separately, this will confuse the phone and allow it to draw more current, believing its Cromwell a phone.
This Is perfectly safe, you can try it with an inexpensive cord.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 19, 2017
Hahaha. See assumptions o. If you use an original cable to charge via laptop, it has absolutely no negative effect on Ur phone's battery. I charged my LG G2 for 2 years with my laptop. The battery remained a bomb till the screen damaged. The power that your laptop has is more than enough. If Ur father's Ba3 lasts more than yours, it might depend on many variables even if both are 4000mAh. It might be from the Rom version, or some misbehaving applications
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 19, 2017
shedy03:

I think it's the other way round. charging phone on laptop spoils the laptop battery.

This is the only valid comment here. I can also attest to this. Spoilt my 2 HP batteries cos of it. No effect on my phone's battery for over a year, but my laptop batteries continously damaged
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:11am On Oct 19, 2017
Teddyg2:
The only problem you gonna experience, is slow charging

hmm mm you sure
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:13am On Oct 19, 2017
dominique:
I don't think it has adverse effect on the phone, I've used laptop to charge my phones several times and the batteries weren't affected. I can't say the same for the laptop battery though.

think it has effect tho
try to use another phone with the same battery and compare
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:14am On Oct 19, 2017
safarigirl:
Yes, especially if it's a strong battery
okay have you experienced it
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:15am On Oct 19, 2017
ryfoz:

75 views and no response? Either people are dodging attacks after comments or they just don't wanna talk. Anyway here's my opinion; without going into much geeky stuff about the amperes your phone takes to charge, chargers generate specific level of power ranging from 250mA(or below) to 2.4A (or above). So the higher it is the faster it charges (mind you if your battery capacity is not really up to 3000mah and above or uses fast charging [which still applies to 3000mah & above], I would say it's a waste of effort buying a charger above 1A cos it won't take above that level or probably doesn't need it). That being said laptop USB port are designed specifically for data transfer: flash drive, memory card (card reader) or direct connection with a device and although, it will be charging simultaneously but it won't be charging really fast at all except it's a Nokia Torchlight.
One thing (that I noticed) with smartphone is when you use lower power-generating source (a.k.a charger heads) to charge it tends to weaken the battery life and in this case pc is one of those slow-charging source. Let me point out too that the type of USB used plays a major role too: we have the silver pin and gold pin, the latter is the best to use.

I say conclusively that any smartphone that has above 3000mah battery capacity needs it "follow-come" charger or good power banks (some might argue that power banks does the same harm as pc, I will reserve my comment on that) or a good charger that meets the same specs of the "follow-come" or slightly above wouldn't do any harm; let's say if you have 1.8A charger, getting 2.1A isn't bad (so far the battery capacity needs it (I say again 3000mah above, especially for 5000mah like homtom HT50 has and 6000mah like the Partner mobile ps 2 or the gretel GT6000. Pls don't think itel is among them o, I'm yet to see any of their devices with high ba3 capacity that has fast charging feature)

So the summary of my essay grin is "Yes, charging a fone with laptop or desktop weakens ba3 (or spoil if you prefer that term).

I rest my case
o boy this ur grammar long o o but u try. . simply say yes or no. .
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:15am On Oct 19, 2017
wwwkaycom:
I lost my Techno M7 battery to this practise since then, I've tried to use only public electric power supply or very good generator for charging my phones.

you mean your battery got spoilt
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:15am On Oct 19, 2017
Oloripelebe:
It spoils the phone and system battery.. .chikena undecided

okay
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:16am On Oct 19, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Some people are naturally confused about life in general.
Patiently waiting for the day someone here will ask "if I slap a three star military general, will I die?"
grin
nah ask I ask oh
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:19am On Oct 19, 2017
mayze:

Yes yes yes..I can't explain why but it spoils both the phone''s battery and the laptop's battery...changed my laptop''s battery twice within 2 years...pretty crazy..probably someone can shed more light

okay
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:20am On Oct 19, 2017
Iseoluwani:

Are u using gionee

Yes it spoils ba3, my ba3 is spoilt thanks to laptop charging with a useless cord (after the original cord spoilt)

nope infinix hot 5
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:21am On Oct 19, 2017
affable4:
those that made phones with their specific chargers are they mad? Or does 'follow-come' not make sense to you?

it does
but in cases when there's no light nko
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:23am On Oct 19, 2017
tosyne2much:
I guess anyone who is very observant should know that charging your phone with a laptop rapidly depletes its lifespan

thought as much too
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:24am On Oct 19, 2017
Bluffly:

Your usages aren't same. I'm quite sure you are more busy and use more apps than your Dad. For me, it's just slow charging. One of the habits that kills batteries, is completely draining it before charging.

I collected his phone and used it the way I use mine even tried playing the same video simultaneously on both phones and mine drained faster it took about 8% from my phone and just 3% from his
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by mechanics(m): 9:27am On Oct 19, 2017
I don't think it will affect, since power bank don't affect the phone battery, then laptop battery won't affect phone battery while charging.
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:28am On Oct 19, 2017
komododragons:
Wow!

we have alot of native doctor in this section!

straight to fact!

google battery life cycle,

google what is mah

google what is armp

google the type of battery

google type of usb cable/ what is USB cable (cos I know many of you don't even the thing you use to plug your phone)

if you google all the above and still don't satisfy with it, I swear you got no future in life undecided

is this is the best your brain could come up with
I'm certain you are the one who definitely has no future undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:29am On Oct 19, 2017
jayloms:
@op, don't f*vking try it! I ended up replacing my laptop battery twice before I came to the realization of the effects of using it as a power bank.
okay thanks
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:31am On Oct 19, 2017
speaktome:

If you judge it in that way, ur Father's battery will last 10times ur own because ur father don't press his phone as you do... He might only use his own to make and receive calls but you will make calls, receive calls, take selfie, whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Imo, Ping, Telegram, Wechat, Nairaland... Etc tell me how ur own battery will last... angry grin grin grin

#MySignatureMyBusiness

lol
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by tosyne2much(m): 9:32am On Oct 19, 2017
Sheun001:

thought as much too
Do you also notice thy charging your phone with a laptop drains the battery faster unlike when you use a charger?

I mean, a battery that is supposed to last for 8 hours will die within 4 hours
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by Sheun001(m): 9:37am On Oct 19, 2017
tosyne2much:
Do you also notice thy charging your phone with a laptop drains the battery faster unlike when you use a charger?

I mean, a battery that is supposed to last for 8 hours will die within 4 hours

thats exactly the same reason I wanted to know if it affects the battery
Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by ryfoz(m): 9:52am On Oct 19, 2017
Roon9:
Let me just throw some light on what someone already stated on this page. What matters most in any charging source is the power output. The voltage multiplied by the current gives you the power.

Most chargers will tell you 5v but the current will be 0.5A, 0.8, or 1A. This isn't really an ideal rating for a phone whose capacity is higher than 3000mah... Especially if you have damaged the original charger. An ideal charger should give a total of 10W ( say 5V, 2A) upwards.

The next most important thing is d cord. Lol most people don't know the cord is important. Failure to use the specified cord could cause overheat and damage your phone for obvious reasons YeA. In fact any charger that's not from slot, Samsung office and the likes is a cheap imitation from china and only the cord is about 1k5 upwards

To the main question, charging your phone with anything other than the main charger is a kamikaze in phone terms grin

Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by ryfoz(m): 9:52am On Oct 19, 2017
Roon9:
Let me just throw some light on what someone already stated on this page. What matters most in any charging source is the power output. The voltage multiplied by the current gives you the power.

Most chargers will tell you 5v but the current will be 0.5A, 0.8, or 1A. This isn't really an ideal rating for a phone whose capacity is higher than 3000mah... Especially if you have damaged the original charger. An ideal charger should give a total of 10W ( say 5V, 2A) upwards.

The next most important thing is d cord. Lol most people don't know the cord is important. Failure to use the specified cord could cause overheat and damage your phone for obvious reasons YeA. In fact any charger that's not from slot, Samsung office and the likes is a cheap imitation from china and only the cord is about 1k5 upwards

To the main question, charging your phone with anything other than the main charger is a kamikaze in phone terms grin

Nice! I love the kamikaze part grin

1 Like

Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by ryfoz(m): 9:57am On Oct 19, 2017
valentineuwakwe:

o boy this ur grammar long o o but u try. . simply say yes or no. .

My brother me sef I weak smiley , I didn't even discussed ampere measurement or battery stats reset or using while charging.

I was a victim of those practices b4 I got "sense", that was why I took the liberty to explain a little bit to the op

1 Like

Re: Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery by ryfoz(m): 10:00am On Oct 19, 2017
shady16:
You've said everything. #Thumbs
Thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Unlock MTN Sm@rt Mini S620 Dual SIM Android Phones / Whatsapp Reintroduces The Old Text Status In The Latest Update / Samsung Galaxy S6's Earphones [Pictures]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.