Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,852 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

"Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. (381 Views)

Olympics: Dream Team Atlanta '96 Listed Among Most Memorable Football Moments / Jim Nwobodo: What Abacha Did After Atlanta '96; What I Did For Kanu Nwankwo / "ATLANTA 96": Two Decades After, A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. by Mike4S: 3:02am On Oct 19, 2017
When it was about ten minutes to end the match, discontent viewers began to leave in where I watched it. Soon the the shout of goooooooal rented the air. Not knowing who scored, the discontent viewers ignored it.
Soon they discovered that it was in Nigeria's favour. The once seething compatriots became wild with exultation upon hearing the triumphant cries emanating from the mouths of those that watched it to the end. They stormed back with a sense of schadenfreude.
The goal only tied us with the Brazilians, but there was hope as the Bonfre Joe-led team has caught fire. No sooner the referee actuated the first fifteen minutes of the extra time than the Nigerian lanky forward, Kanu Nwankwo, scored the winning goal.
This was when the highest ever 'it is a goooooooal!' was shouted in Nigeria. Many did not know that it signalled the end of the match. The goalkeeper, Joseph Dosu, did not also know that the match was over because of golden goal rule.
In my place, it was a night that people woke to celebrate the seven-goal thriller match. First we heard firework displays, then the real jubilation ensued. A salvo salute and the extraneous noise kept people awake throughout that night.
After a moment of realisation, it dawned on those people that did not understand the meaning of golden goal that Nigeria had won the match. This was when they joined and the whole village agog that night.
It was such that the rowdy noises interfered with people's nightly slumbers. Those who did not join had no choice than to adjure themselves to stay awake, despite not planning it.
That was the night I saw what riveted Nigerians irrespective of their ethnic groups, religious affiliation, etc. as everybody joined to celebrate that victory.
As if that was not enough, another neighbouring village's fans soon joined us, and the whole place agog again. It was already at the wee hours of the day, and yet people did not care.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. by PheezyLee(m): 3:05am On Oct 19, 2017
I'm here to buy land grin
Re: "Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. by Arsenalholic(m): 3:27am On Oct 19, 2017
Oh God, I miss those days.

These were the days when love truly existed. The days when you could trust your neighbour. We usually converged in one house watching these games. Even as a kid that didn't know much about football I was enthralled by the togetherness that existed between everyone.

Football has always being a unifying instrument for Nigeria.

It still is, but not as amazing as the good ole days.

May the eagles give us a reason to celebrate wildly come next year in Russia

1 Like

Re: "Atlanta 96": Two Decades After..., A Nairalander Shares Experience, Share Your. by emeijeh(m): 4:30am On Oct 19, 2017
When Nigeria win Brazil!

When Nigeria win Brazil when!

Bebeto come dey cry!

When Nigeria win Brazil!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Europe's Top Five Leagues Fixtures For Today / Winners Only!! Football Lovers / Ronaldo- The End Of Our Rivalry ? No! It’s Just Starting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.