Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,808,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 (10381 Views)

Felabration 2021 Launch At New Sight | Viva Africa / Chelsea London Dry Gin Patrons Win Big At Felabration 2018 / Felabration: Simi, Aramide, Pepenazi, Pasuma Etc Perform At Felabration Day 1&2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by eyesoflagos: 6:17am On Oct 19, 2017
HOW PETTY TRADERS, SECURITY GUARDS PROFITED FROM FELABRATION 2017
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/10/how-petty-traders-security-guards.html

The much anticipated 2017 edition of the annual musical concert, Felabration, has come and gone. However, the lasting memories and impact on lives will be felt for years to come.
The weeklong event was put together by the family of late afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti to celebrate the life and struggles of the late revolutionary African musician.
This year’s event which held between Monday 9 and 15 October, 2017, with some of the finest Nigerian and international acts such as such as Femi Kuti, Wizkid, Sauti Sol, Burna Boy, Lagbaja, Dice Ailes, Sound Sultan, Seun Kuti, and Omawumi and many others thrilling guests and other attendees to breathtaking performances.
However, the event did not only afford music lovers and other enthusiasts the opportunity to observe their music idols in close quarters. It also afforded petty traders, small business owners inclusive of security guards to make quick cash.
During the weeklong event, security guards saddled with the responsibility of guarding apartments, work offices and other properties used the premises for profit reasons. Due to the number of attendees who drove down to the New Afrika Shrine, the security situation at the location and the unavailability of adequate parking lots, the guards swiftly opened their gates for willing ‘customers’ to park for a fee.
As a result of the event running late into the wee hours of the night, the security guards gladly watch over the cars – since it was park in their facility – while also keeping watch of the property they were employed to guard.
Speaking to Eyes Of Lagos, an attendee of Felabration, Uchendu, said the drivers charge between N200 and N500 depending on the hours you leave your car in their care. “if you are worried about your car been damaged or stolen, just drive to any of the gates located on the Shrine street, you will get security guards calling you to come use their facility to park.,” he said.
“The guards charge N200 the first time I left my car with them. I didn’t spend up to three hours before I left. The next time I allowed my car spend the night there, I was charged N500 for parking. I didn’t bulge because I knew my car was safe and the guard won’t allow anyone vandalise my car since I left it under his watch.” Uchendu added.
Another source told Eyes Of Lagos that the guards usually leave an instruction that drivers who park in their vicinity return before dawn to remove their vehicles. Eyes Of Lagos gathered this was a ploy used to avoid their employers knowing about their business during the night.
Similarly, petty traders, food vendors and small business owners made a fortune during the event.
At night, food vendors are seen lined up at the surroundings of the New Afrika shrine with attendees patronizing them to have a bite of what they sell. A plate of noodles garnish with carrots and egg sold for N500 while a cup of coffee was as high as N300.
In addition, a piece of menthol sweet which usually sells for N10 was sold at three for N50 naira during the weeklong event while drinks in pet bottles were sold as high as N200.
Commenting on this, a food vendor, Mrs Ilesanmi said “we can only take advantage of the event to make small profit. People usually complain in the first few days but they get accustomed to it after a while.”
“They can’t complain much because they need the drinks and it is even lesser compared to the amount they pay in clubs or joints,” she added.

3 Likes

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by sunnywhyt007: 6:18am On Oct 19, 2017
nice 1

3 Likes

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by itchie: 6:27am On Oct 19, 2017
Good for them. Fela is still touching people's lives even in death

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by aolawale025: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2017
A man still has to eat!

2 Likes

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by DanielsParker(m): 6:44am On Oct 19, 2017
okay
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by TeamSimple(m): 6:45am On Oct 19, 2017
Nothing is a total waste

1 Like

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by castrol180(m): 6:45am On Oct 19, 2017
Fela spoke while alive, his work is still speaking after his death.

5 Likes

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Daniel058(m): 6:45am On Oct 19, 2017
E kushe o

Ekaro oo

Shanuku oo

Make I speak yoruba small nah grin

2 Likes

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by looseweight: 6:46am On Oct 19, 2017
That's the hustling spirit.

Me to dey hustle just to give u a better shape and size by cutting down your excess body fat naturally. For more info, check my profile
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by chrischina(m): 6:46am On Oct 19, 2017
Ok o, make we believe
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by moderatorr1: 6:47am On Oct 19, 2017
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Spells(m): 6:47am On Oct 19, 2017
They should make cannabis free just for the sake of fela grin

1 Like

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 19, 2017
ALL Hustle na hustle
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by carpmam: 6:47am On Oct 19, 2017
All this inconveniences jst to honor a junkie nd a hiv victim

1 Like

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by nony43(m): 6:48am On Oct 19, 2017
Please what is the aim of this Felabration?
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Atiku2019: 6:48am On Oct 19, 2017
Men dey streetz grin
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Settingz321(m): 6:48am On Oct 19, 2017
Only weed sellers can sell and make profit there
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by ToluSuo(m): 6:50am On Oct 19, 2017
y
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by EugeneGee4(m): 6:50am On Oct 19, 2017
Felabration
Nice one
I don hit front page today this week gonna be good
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by itiswellandwell: 6:51am On Oct 19, 2017
Okay
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by saintgoogle(m): 6:53am On Oct 19, 2017
Yt
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Berrylite: 6:54am On Oct 19, 2017
Good for them
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by doctimi(m): 6:54am On Oct 19, 2017
the shrine police too. they were smuggling people in over the queue for a fee.
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by JoshMedia: 6:56am On Oct 19, 2017
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by edungene7: 6:57am On Oct 19, 2017
Who did diz write up should receive sense u want to put those guards in trouble after helping u.What do u tink d management would do after reading diz cause u want to make money? Dey should lose their jobs? U did NT tell us HW many akuna u carried if u wanted to add mre to yr foolishness

1 Like

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by matrixme(m): 7:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Journalism has gone to the dogs in this country. In 2017, we are now reading how people upped the price of TomTom sweets in a music festival. I guess this is from Punch or Daily Sun?
What next? Weather the writer's wife will wear yellow shoes with native to work on Friday. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Noblebrown7(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2017
Owk o
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by kay29000(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2017
Cool.
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Afritop(m): 7:09am On Oct 19, 2017
angry angry So this is why that yeye security guard refuse to resume work the following 2 consecutive days and at the end of the month he will come and collect salary.
NAIRALAND THANKS FOR THE INFO
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by gwmlogistic: 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
Good
Re: How Petty Traders, Security Guards Profited From Felabration 2017 by Ballary(m): 7:26am On Oct 19, 2017
dis felabration stuff is clueless,fela will be more happy were Eva he is.if marijuana is legalize.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Domak Chairman Celebrates Mother's 70th Birthday In Style With Friends & Widows / PHOTOS: Salawa Abeni Throws 30th Birthday For Daughter / Mtag Global Visit Displaced And Homeless People In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.