Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,221 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt (30831 Views)

Why We Need To Stop Eating Too Much Salt / Dangers Of Eating Too Much Beans / Eating Too Much Fruits Can Cause Diabetes - Consultant Endocrinologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Opinionated: 12:10pm On Oct 20, 2017
Wonder whether you're eating too much salt? The more salt you consume, the higher your blood pressure and excessive levels of it in your body over time can increase your risk of osteoporosis (a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue) and other chronic conditions, so it's important to restrict your daily intake to no more than a teaspoon's per day. In line with this, we reveal 6 side effects of eating too much salt.

You are always using the toilet

Whether at night or during the day, frequent urination is a key sign of excessive salt intake, but it can also be a symptom of a number of other conditions, from an overactive bladder or urinary tract infection to type 2 diabetes. While it's usually nothing to worry about, see your doctor if you notice a change in your normal urinary habits.

You are constantly thirsty

If you often find your mouth gets drier and your thirst is unquenchable, chances are you could be taking too much salt. Like frequent urination, constant thirst can be a sign of other conditions such as type 2 diabetes, so make sure you get it evaluated by a doctor.

Your ankles swell

An excess of salt in your diet can lead to swollen ankles. Swollen ankles can be caused by water retention as a result of eating too much salt, but other conditions can give rise to swollen ankles.

You crave salty, savoury food

If you find yourself craving salty snacks, you could well be consuming too much salt. You will enjoy your food so much more if you cut your salt intake to acceptable guidelines.

You get frequent mild headaches

If you suffer from frequent mild headaches and have no idea what's causing them, you might want to reduce your salt intake. An overload of salt in the diet can lead to dehydration-induced headache symptoms. If cutting down on salt has no effect, your doctor will be able to help you figure out the cause.

Hinder kidney performance

A diet high in too much salt can actually slow the performance of your kidney. Too much salt can increase the amount of protein found in your urine. More protein in your urine is a major risk factor for kidney disease.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/6-side-effects-eating-much-salt/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2017
I am Finished shocked

14 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by HelenBee(f): 1:29pm On Oct 20, 2017
Side effects of not eating Salt nko?

15 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by OboOlora(f): 1:29pm On Oct 20, 2017
first 2 points are not accurate and I will explain.
Nutritionists recommend 8glasses of water or more a day. If I consume this, chances are I will urinate more often than neccesary. It doesnt mean my kidney is failing. Also, if i work in an air-conditioned place, I will sweat less and urinate more since that's the only way the body excretes the fluid i'm consuming.
BTW, how do we measure 1teaspoonful when every food we consume contains salt and some of us even eat out. Eating healthy is very very expensive OP.
In my house, I practically eat alone cos i'm on zero salt level.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by holatin(m): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
ur palm is always wet like a prostitute pussy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Heartmender1: 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
Observing you guys in 3D coolwaiting for the day a thread who be created about the effect of consuming too much Maggie's kiss
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by ExAngel007(f): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
love my spicy food
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by omotoyossi(m): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
didn't include a rise in d blood pressure..

6 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by holatin(m): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
HelenBee:
an albino sighted

3 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by asawanathegreat(m): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
Good message to learn there, noted bro thanks amuch

3 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by looseweight: 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
Good write up
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by NaijaElba(m): 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
God help me. My Salt and Sugar intake is alarming. The op should include Maggi as well. Can too much salt intake affect sex performance level too?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by geezynoni: 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
Na only one no dey do me...I'm safe
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Titto93(m): 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
Remembering the days of Ebola.
If you see me then, you'll call me Salinus

2 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by ithink7: 1:31pm On Oct 20, 2017
OboOlora:
true
warisdis
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Alexcollins(m): 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2017
OK
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by SNIPER123: 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2017
embarassed
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Royalfurnitures: 1:33pm On Oct 20, 2017
Enlightening!

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2017
HelenBee:
Leads to goitre

1 Like

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by realfitbodyng: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2017
OboOlora:
Nutritionists recommend 8glasses of water or more a day. If I consume this, chances are I will urinate more often than neccesary. It doesnt mean my kidney is failing. Also, if i work in an air-conditioned place, I will sweat less and urinate more since that's the only way the body excretes the fluid i'm consuming.
But in reality you are not drinking that much water, so the points are accurate except for those who really take 8 glasses of water per day.
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by DIKEnaWAR: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2017
So true.

As a doctor I advise you stay off salt.

1 Like

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by HelenBee(f): 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2017
fabulousfortune:
Leads to goitre
Oh,thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by sod09(m): 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2017
bullshit....
crap
arrant nonsense angry angry
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by HelenBee(f): 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2017
holatin:
an albino sighted
Lol. I'm not, just asking.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by DIKEnaWAR: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2017
holatin:
ur palm is always wet like a prostitute pussy

A prostitutes pvssy ain't wet baby.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Gentlevin: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2017
OboOlora:
True talk my dear. U said d truth in this one........

but hey..your dp thou....change it cos I think u are not d one there....it looks.....like.......not nice.....(no offense)
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Ugoeze2016: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2017
Same goes for indomie, the salt content in a pack is a killer
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by February30(m): 1:38pm On Oct 20, 2017
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by OboOlora(f): 1:39pm On Oct 20, 2017
Gentlevin:
True talk my dear. U said d truth in this one........

but hey..your dp thou....change it cos I think u are not d one there....it looks.....like.......not nice.....(no offense)
Lol, Thanks dear.
Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by Gentlevin: 1:39pm On Oct 20, 2017
realfitbodyng:
But in reality you are not drinking that much water, so the points are accurate except for those who really take 8 glasses of water per day.
It may not actually be up to 8glasses but enough to make one pee since our body make up is different...

1 Like

Re: 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt by holatin(m): 1:40pm On Oct 20, 2017
DIKEnaWAR:

A prostitutes pvssy ain't wet baby.
so is it dry like a menopausal pussy ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / COVID-19: FG Lists Lagos, FCT, Kano, Ogun, Kaduna, Sokoto For WHO Drug Trials / COVID-19 Bites Harder As More Nigerians Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.