Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops (20720 Views)

Nigerian Online Ventures That Are Offshoots Of Nairaland / Fill This Online E-commerce Questionnaire And Get N100 Recharge Voucher / Anyone With Any Experience Of An Online E-commerce Site Please Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by IAH(f): 1:34pm On Jun 07, 2005
I've been seeing some online shops that are Nigerian.  How do you pay for goods bought there?  Is there credit/debit card in Nigeria now or what?  I tried to find out with some of the sites but they always ask me to register first and I don't have time for that.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Seun(m): 5:14pm On Jun 07, 2005
How do you people in Nigeria pay for good bought from Nigerian Shopping Sites?

Most of the time, they pay by bank deposit. You go to the bank and pay the money into their accounts. This is the case for ShopForLess.com and Computerport.biz, as far as I know.

What they do at Xtaples.net is to allow you to 'checkout' your order without making any payment, then they call you later to settle your order and arrange payment.

Is there a credit/debit card in Nigeria now or what?

[I]International credit cards in Nigeria[/I]:
- The STB Mastercard Maestro : Credit and Debit Cards in Nigeria.

[I]Debit cards for payment in naira (within Nigeria)[/I]:
- Interswitch Debit Cards: See www.interswitchng.com.
- E-tranzact Debit Cards: See www.etranzact.net.
- ValuCard E-purse: See www.valucardnigeria.com.

However, very few online stores use these cards (Interswitch and E-tranzact are Internet-enabled) because, frankly, they are not yet ready to do business with Nigerian web merchants. You can imagine a company that wants web merchants to use its system insisting about a "formal business introduction" before they will even answer basic questions about their service. What is that?

2 Likes

Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by IAH(f): 5:42pm On Jun 07, 2005
Haha, this is interesting. So one has to go to the bank to deposit money to buy goods online? Instead of going to the bank, why not go straight to the shop/market to get what you want to get? It is even faster that way because you might have to queue at the bank, and the whole process would even be longer! IMO, this is not an e-commerce solution at all! It only ends up wasting time...and time is...

And about the subscription, what about those of us that are not in Nigeria? How are we going to pay? You need to find a way for us to pay o, cos u can't just kick me out like that. rolleyes
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Seun(m): 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2005
IAH,

Your answer is available at:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-392.0.html#msg4297
(people outside the country will pay $50 by Western Union)

Best Regards.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by KukuraontheMove(m): 1:16am On Jun 14, 2005
Rather high for the environment... Volume and critical mass is key here
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Farriel(m): 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2005
Talking about this:
Seun:

Is there a credit/debit card in Nigeria now or what?

[I]International credit cards in Nigeria[/I]:
- The STB Mastercard Maestro : Credit and Debit Cards in Nigeria.
- NairaEx- Nigeria's Virtual VISA Reseller, eCommerce and ePayment Facilitator.

I thought Ecobank offered Mastercards? And just lately heard a jingle on radio that Intercontinental bank issued same.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by skima(m): 6:53pm On Sep 13, 2005
I think what they are scared of is; Nigerian Fraudulent activity. Who want to lose?
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by hotangel2(f): 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2005
You can use your credits card if you r abroad. You'll just give them address of where to send the stuffs to. That is if u wanna buy it for friends and family in nigeria.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by skima(m): 7:02pm On Sep 13, 2005
Do u know if people hack credit cards at all?
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by hotangel2(f): 7:04pm On Sep 13, 2005
it depends on the website you use.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by skima(m): 7:07pm On Sep 13, 2005
Yeah but which Nigerian site is that secure? Also i know they use IP to restrict orders, but IPs can also be camouflaged.

Soon we will have those services offer by nigerians' for nigerians'.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by kazey(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2005
hack credit cards

well most online stores divert credit card transactions to another third party for processing, using SSL technology(for encrypted diversion) and some APIS (to connect to the processing gateway).

Ip restriction wont work if you have customers from the same internet cafe. But there is a trick i recently discover arround it. Using unique extra code under same ips, so you can actually monitor, a bit complex so i can't go through it here.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by neticash(m): 2:31am On Dec 12, 2005
In Nigeria Debit cards that are directly attached to your account, not too sure it will work, YET. Can you imagine what will happen to your account if a thief gets hold of that.

And when it comes to credit cards in Nigeria too, that is for a select few. Those in the upper bracket of the society. Why? because there are conditions attached, more like a collateral. And what about the charges, hmmm, very prohibitive and guess what when you spend a VISA or mastercard who makes the bulk of d money or should I say where does the bulk of the money go, well you guess. And what impact does that have on our economy? well you guess again.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Mazi(m): 11:56am On Dec 14, 2005
Thanks EJO(Neticash) for your info.

However I do not agree with you on Nigeria Debit Cards and Credit Cards issued by banks in Nigeria;

Interswitch Debit Cards work WELL. I have been using mine for close to six months now. I can use it at over 350 ATMs (www.interswitchng.com) nationwide, I use it to pay for my water bills and intend to use it on POS terminals at merchant shops which I believe Interswitch is launching soon.

The cards use a Pin, so a thief would have to have your card and your pin to use it at an ATM.
While online, I am not an expert on web security, but I am satisfied with the security Interswitch provided in entering my Card number and Pin number before transactions take place.

I also think it's safer for a thief to be limited to the amount in my bank account, than for a thief to use up my bank credit limit (viz-a-viz Credit Card)
I think by International standards, Interswitch meets security standards.
Please note that I am not a staff of Interswitch, I am only a very satisfied customer.

On Credit Cards:
I do know that no where in the world are Credit cards meant for the Low in the society. Its not for the POOR!

However the equivalent min of $150 to open a Credit card account as advertised by Intercontinental bank in Nigeria, is by my opinion very very moderate. STB require $250 min.

Personally, I think if u can't afford $150 (N21,000) min. plus all internationally accepted charges, to have a credit card, please stay away from one. Once again, its not for the POOR.

I salute your introduction of your service to Nigerians and others alike. Be sure of the patronage.

Thanks. wink
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by koachi: 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2006
guyz have u been to www.booksng.com ? Thats the new levels in Naija, to purchase books online, check it out ! grin
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by OrderBay(f): 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2008
Hello,

You can also check out www.orderbay.com.  The company can help you order items from North America and deliver to you.

They can also make payments for you to various institutions for school fees, subscriptions, etc. and also have a Debit/Gift Card
that they offer.

You can pay in Naira or USD into their GTB or Zenith Account.  If you have a GTB or Zenith account, you can make payment on-line!

Thanks
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Spadmin1: 11:28am On Dec 17, 2008
Heres a solution,

[center]--WWW.SOFTPAY.ORG--

SoftPay is an online payment system that enables its users to send Naira online.
SoftPay could also serve as an online wallet enabling users to save online. SoftPay users
can also receive money online and later withdraw it directly to their bank account, request
for a cheque from SoftPay, send the money on to other SoftPay users or use the money
to shop online on selected sites.
SoftPay is accessible to users from all over the world with an internet connection but
all transactions are carried out in Naira. This makes SoftPay a service mainly for Nigerians in
Nigeria and abroad. Serious online merchants can take advantage of this service to collect
payment for good and services from their customers all over the world thereby increasing
their scope and reach. Business does not have to be limited to your locality only.
Another good feature of SoftPay is that it shields your financial payment information
(credit/debit card and or bank account details) to a large extent. You only need to store your
financial information with SoftPay, and do not need to share it with merchants or other people
in general since all you need to complete a transaction is your SoftPay user name and SoftPay
account password when making payment.

How can SoftPay be of use to you?
Your use of SoftPay will depend on what exactly you intend to do online. Are you an online
shopper, a small-time seller or a full-blown merchant? SoftPay will work for you.
At SoftPay there is no distinction between seller, buyer or merchant. All accounts are treated
equally and fairly.
Send Money home
If you live abroad you can send money home through your SoftPay account. The great thing
is that you can send small amounts of money to several beneficiaries without paying a fortune
in transfer fees
. e.g Bits of N10,000 oe even N5,000 and you don't have to pay transfer fees for
each one. Jus send the money directly to your softpay account and then distribute from there on.
Collections
Have you got business interests back home and would require to collect money from people
who owe you some? I bet we are all familiar with the scenario in which we ask a relative to
collect for us and next thing we begin to hear is stories of how the money went. Well not any
more!
Now you can ask all your debtors to easily pay directly into your SoftPay.org account.
Receiving Money
With your SoftPay.org account you can collect and monitor all your debts securely online even
from abroad. Know when payment is made and manage your cash in full control just the way
you want.
Buy/Sell
You can use your SoftPay.org to pay for goods and/or services obtained from Nigeria.
You can also sell stuff and get paid through SoftPay. All this and more without the hassles of
the past.
Make residual income with the Free Referral Program:
Open a free account today and be automatically enrolled in our free affiliate program that pays
you for your referrals 4 levels deep.
Business/private users: Make payments, send money to friends with SoftPay - and earn money instead of paying it through the bank.
Online shops: A double advantage: accept SoftPay and at the same time earn money by referring users to us via your special referral link.
Webmasters: Turn your traffic into cash - just for putting a SoftPay link/banner on your website! Earn commision from all who sign-up through your site.

SoftPay is stretching the boundaries of e-commerce in Nigeria.
You too can join now and begin enjoying the benefits by signing-up for a SoftPay account.
On sign-up you will even get free N200 credit to your account. How cool is that?
Click on the link below to do so now.

www.softpay.org[/center]
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Spadmin1: 9:16pm On Jan 18, 2009
About paypal and 2co, I belive Nigerians in Nigeria use dollars or euros as the primary currency? Theres no harm in having multiple payment methods for your website, let the people decide which they want to pay you by. Collect your dollars, but please do not neglect your naira too.

SoftPay has been set up with the small scale netprenuer in mind, people that cannot afford to pay ridiculous amounts as 'registration fee',

SoftPay is working hard to make e-commerce in Nigeria what it really
should be. We are looking to improve the integrity of Nigerian e-commerce
as a result we dont take on just anybody. All SoftPay merchants must be
able to have enough confidence in their products and customer satisfaction
to be able to offer a 'Money back Guarantee' to their clients.
Good news for 'Netpreneurs' who have managed to open a paypal account but
now have a problem of cashing the funds out. In the next coming weeks,
SoftPay will start to accept PayPay as a means to load your account. So
your customers can pay you in Naira with their US/UK credit cards.
We know that business is not all about making money. Give a world class
quality service first and the big bucks will roll in much latter. We are
prepared to wait.

See you at the top, however long it takes. Rome was not built in a day.
Despise not your days of small beginings!  wink
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by allimercy: 11:10pm On Jan 18, 2009
That is a good development coming from softpay.org. However, I am concern about the level of your web security. This is important as well.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by allimercy: 12:15am On Jan 19, 2009
NETICASH, pls tell me how will your services help my web business for Nigerians in Nigeria when I start charging sellers for advertisement on my website http://www.naijaautoplace.com. I dont intend to make life difficult for my people by asking them to go and deposit money in bank before activating their advertisement. However posting of advert is free for now at least 9-12 months free advert.

I have looked at Interswitch website, many of their ecommerce customers websites have lost their links.(Site contents not existing anymore) Perhaps they cannot continue to meet up with the charges from Interswitch.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Spadmin1: 7:04pm On Jan 25, 2009
@ allimercy you dont need online payment of any sort to sell your cars online.

Cars are a 'must inspect' and 'pick up only' item. Besides the cost per item is too much for ppl to pay online.When they come to check your cars out, they will bring your cash in their pocket.

For other items or purposes however, you can check out SoftPay.org

About paypal and 2co, I belive Nigerians in Nigeria use dollars or euros as the primary currency? Theres no harm in having multiple payment methods for your website, let the people decide which they want to pay you by. Collect your dollars, but please do not neglect your naira too.

SoftPay has been set up with the small scale netprenuer in mind, people that cannot afford to pay ridiculous amounts as 'registration fee',

SoftPay is working hard to make e-commerce in Nigeria what it really
should be. We are looking to improve the integrity of Nigerian e-commerce
as a result we dont take on just anybody. All SoftPay merchants must be
able to have enough confidence in their products and customer satisfaction
to be able to offer a 'Money back Guarantee' to their clients.
Good news for 'Netpreneurs' who have managed to open a paypal account but
now have a problem of cashing the funds out. In the next coming weeks,
SoftPay will start to accept PayPay as a means to load your account. So
your customers can pay you in Naira with their US/UK credit cards.
We know that business is not all about making money. Give a world class
quality service first and the big bucks will roll in much latter. We are
prepared to wait.

See you at the top, however long it takes. Rome was not built in a day.
Despise not your days of small beginings!  Wink

SOFTPAY - Inspiring trust in Nigrian e-commerce
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by allimercy: 12:30am On Jan 26, 2009
Thanks very much Spadmin1 for your reply. That site is for car classified advert for both sellers/dealers of cars. I am not a dealer nor seller. Like I said, I was only looking for convenience of payment for advert by sellers/dealers of car advertising cars on the site. The site does is not involve in the deal closing between the parties.

I have a project in progress, beyond this one here that will require your service when the time comes.

Best Regards
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Spadmin1: 6:43pm On Feb 03, 2009
[center]Hi there, hows your site coming up?
SoftPay can serve you on this aspect as well, in fact too well.
But for a start we can make a quick payment page for you.
We still need a good dedicated auto-dealing site like yours.
Contact SoftPay asap.
Cheers.[/center]
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by yawatide(f): 8:18pm On Feb 03, 2009
spadmin1,

I think we got you the first time you made this post a standalone one.

Let's strike a deal - you stop posting anything about softpay and I promise not to recommend you to the banning committee. Deal? wink
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Spadmin1: 12:15am On Feb 04, 2009
[center]Hi there Yawa,

Ok youve got my attention now.

But tell us first why you are stalking me and tracking all my posts?

I know you, I think your a nice lady with a misleading name.

But who knows the heart?[/center]

P.S. Tell a christian to stop talking about Jesus.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by pixiraver(m): 6:40am On Jun 05, 2009
Guys try www.awoofshop.com, we offer payments via credit cards, paypal, direct deposit, moneybookers and our inbuilt payment system.

Awoofshop is going global and we currently have the Nigerian version www.awoofshop.com and the South African version www.awoofshop.co.za. Users can use Awoofshop to buy products instantly, transfer money to paypal instantly, transfer money to moneybookers and also use the direct deposit function.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by adeg(m): 9:00am On Sep 02, 2009
Now there are many online stores that accept InterSwitch ATM Card payment like www.buyright.biz, www.computerport.iz, www.prepaidnigeria.com, www.rechargenigeria.com and others.
The best place to locate all of them is on InterSwitch website at http://www.interswitchng.com/you/locate-e-commerce-sites.aspx
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by Cactus(m): 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2009
All the luxury of online payment in usa or other places in the world we take for granted is something one should absolutely appreciate as it is convenient.

Sitting in my room, midnight looking around nothing to eat, go online searching for someplace open, place order online or by phone, pay wait for food to come. So cool and stress free.

Buying things online and having it delivered to another person on a different continent. Within hours.

Many nights during my schooling days were like that. Hopefully this can happen in Nigeria soon without much difficulties.

A lot of things need to put in place in Nigeria for security reasons.
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by yawatide(f): 6:37pm On Sep 02, 2009
he he cactus, of course we need electricity, good roads and (joke) mai guards who will b awake at night to open the gate tongue

Imagine ordering your favorite ice cream cone online. In the states, that sucker would be wrapped with dry ice to keep it hard and frozen till it gets to you. In naija? heat alone will melt it by the time it gets to you grin
Re: All these Nigerian Online E-Commerce Shops by bug24(m): 6:33pm On Dec 04, 2009
Thank God yawatide shut dis softpay guy up. haba, my mama wan cook egusi soup, SOFTPAY go help ur mama cook, i dey get fever, SOFTPAY is all u nid 2 cure d craze. ADVERT is good, but wen it turns to SPAMMING, u lose d edge. even those who has decided 2use ur service wil start doing CTRL + Z. yawa, good job. at least i can hear word nw.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Difference Between A Webmaster And Devops Professional / Most Confusing And Simple Maths Quiz / Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.