Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,817 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks (4902 Views)

Abimbola Jayeola Captain Of Bristow Helicopter That Ditched In Atlantic Ocean / We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / Virgin Atlantic Flight To Uk To Make Stop Over In Ghana Due to Fuel Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by dancewith: 9:46am On Mar 14, 2010
I booked virgin atlantic from Lagos to London and was shocked on getting to the airport to be told the name on my booking : Joesph Ighogho is different from the name on my passport Ighogho Joseph and as such, i must pay £30

why must this be the case? on their website the indication is First name and last name. so why didnt they just say surname and other names. i put my first name as Ighogho and last name as Joseph and it came out as Joseph Ighogho after the booking. so why penalise your passengers for this even when i have all evidence it was me that made the payment

this is unfair trade practice, illegal and unjust enrichment as the queue to pay the £30 was so long. why do these poeple keep ripping off Nigerians who contribute so much to their bottom line? They do not practise this in the UK nor can they attempt this with their US passengers but Nigerians are fair game.

Pls be warned when making a reservation with them. The first name is your Given name and the last name is your Surname. Any mistake and it will be costly. if possible use Arik or BA. They appear to be more humane. As for me that will be the last time I ever use the accursed airline
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by chelseabmw(m): 10:13am On Mar 14, 2010
@poster
did u read their terms and condition on their website? Please go and read and come back here, I believe it was stated there, Like they will always say,terms and condition APPLY!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by dancewith: 10:19am On Mar 14, 2010
i dont give a rat ass about terms and conditions. make it clear: surname and other names. thats the terminology used in Nigeria and the US. i am not too familiar with the English system. Considering the long queue, there has to be something wrong with it, Mr Branson apologist!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 14, 2010
chelseabmw:

@poster
   did u read their terms and condition on their website? Please go and read and come back here, I believe it was stated there, Like they will always say,terms and condition APPLY!

then why did they allow him to board.if they thought he wasnt the person,would the additional 30pounds make him the person? shocked

scammers.
OR maybe that money went un-receipted and probably ended up in someone's pocket.shocking!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by aieromon(m): 10:35am On Mar 14, 2010
It is wrong for Virgin Atlantic to charge someone for making a mistake as trivial as this.What is the fine paid used for?To generate an affidavit proving that the two names represent the same person. undecided

Such crap should not be tolerated and it's very unfair for them to treat their passengers this way.

I beg to disagree.The poster commented that the website stated first name and last name.As long as he abode with those instructions,he is right and Richard Crapnson is WRONG!!!!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by aieromon(m): 10:42am On Mar 14, 2010
I booked virgin atlantic from Lagos to London and was shocked on getting to the airport to be told the name on my booking : Joesph Ighogho is different from the name on my passport Ighogho Joseph and as such, i must pay £30

why must this be the case? on their website the indication is First name and last name. so why didnt they just say surname and other names. i put my first name as Ighogho and last name as Joseph and it came out as Joseph Ighogho after the booking. so why penalise your passengers for this even when i have all evidence it was me that made the payment

Going through your post again,it's very clear you were at fault.
FYI,everybody in Nigeria knows that last name IS YOUR SURNAME while first name IS THE NAME THAT PREDOMINANTLY APPEARS ON YOUR DOCUMENTS.Please,don't make this mistake next time.

Richard Crapnson is still wrong for collecting a fine,though.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by dancewith: 10:45am On Mar 14, 2010
I am not disputing I got it wrong. I used first name as the first name on my passport which is my surname. however the long queue does not suggest everyone in Nigeria knows this. Its to be imagined how much Virgin is making from this on their daily flights from Nigeria
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by EloSela(f): 11:28am On Mar 14, 2010
Hi Poster

Is this the first time you have travelled out of Nigeria? First name obviously means the name you were christened with, last name means surname or in Nigeria's case your Father's name. In any case it is best to book the ticket with the name in exactly the same way it is on your passport to save on confusion. I have been caught out myself with my first and middle names. Anyway you have admitted you made a mistake and that is a step in the right direction. Brush yourself off and move on as £30 will not be the end of you.
I also wholeheartedly understand your grievance over the extra charge mind you as I would have been pissed off myself but Mr Branson is a business man first and foremost and he didn't get to be a billionaire by feeling sorry for people who make genuine mistakes. Just don't let him get you again!

dancewith:

i dont give a rat backside about terms and conditions. make it clear: surname and other names. thats the terminology used in Nigeria and the US. i am not too familiar with the English system. Considering the long queue, there has to be something wrong with it, Mr Branson apologist!

By the way you've got it wrong. In Britain we say 'Surname' or 'Family name'. It is in America and perhaps the rest of the world they say 'Last name'. The website is probably designed with the international community in mind and not Britain where 'surname is used.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by asiwaju: 12:19pm On Mar 14, 2010
@poster,

Next time,please dont pay,i dont know why people dont fight for their right in Nigeria,even though you made a mistake with the names,collecting 30pounds will not change anything,its just outrageous,Joesph Ighogho is still the same as Ighogho Joseph,and where is the customer service here?At MMA,there is no single friendly customer service shops,you have to practically beg them to serve you or attend to you,unbelievable.

Asiwaju.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by dancewith: 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2010
Thanks Asiwaju

pls lets spread the word. Nigerians should pls note this tactics and avoid falling victims and enriching them
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by EAsY6: 2:35pm On Mar 14, 2010
I had the same problem when I was returning from Nija to the UK, they wanted £30 but i told them i aint paying $1. I bought the Ticket in London and I dont think it's my fault. The lady let me off the hook but gave me a warning! tongue
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omega25red(m): 5:38pm On Mar 14, 2010
EloSela:

Hi Poster

By the way you've got it wrong. In Britain we say 'Surname' or 'Family name'. It is in America and perhaps the rest of the world they say 'Last name'. The website is probably designed with the international community and not Britain where 'surname is used.
^^^^^ could you please help me tell him he totally put his name wrong and if you have ever used those online services to book a ticket they explicitly say put your name down as it shows on your travel document.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by Seun(m): 9:25am On Mar 15, 2010
They should call it "surname" on the Nigerian site, if possible.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by Guk: 10:03am On Mar 15, 2010
Customer Service & using initiative is ZERO when it comes to a large percentage of the service industry in Nigeria.

I received a Text message from Aero Contractors that my 19.10 flight from Abuja to Lagos had been cancelled for operational reasons & i
was moved onto the 20.05 flight. On taking off, the cabin crew started selling in-flight snacks & i mentioned to the lady who came to serve me that it was insensitive of them to cancel my flight, inconvenience me, make me change my plans & NOT FEEL THAT THEY SHOULD COMPENSATE ME WITH SOMETHING A meal of Sausage rolls & Water costs =N=250. Is that too much to give free of charge to Inconvenienced passengers??

We are too often taken for granted in Nigeria & i have officially communicated my fellings to the Airline & am awaiting their response.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by kadman(m): 10:39am On Mar 15, 2010
At OP, as someone said Branson did not become a billionaire by feeling sorry for people who made / make mistakes. And it's not related to just VA and Nigeria. Come to Europe and use these low cost carriers e.g Easy Jet, Jet 2, and Ryan Air. . for that mistake, you'll probably be charged almost what you paid for the ticket, any other mistake like not printing receipt and boarding pass, even paying with a credit card all cost £20 each and above.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by pappilo(m): 11:01am On Mar 15, 2010
It is a scam. Niaja people too dey fear. I wont have paid 1 kobo. I wonder why people use the services of Easyjet and such. I used them once and was delayed because the lady at the check in had never seen a schengen visa before. You are better off paying an extra £20 and buying a ticket with the more established carriers. Not that they dont have their own faults but they wont treat you like an animal.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by pek(m): 11:03am On Mar 15, 2010
asiwaju:

@poster,

Next time,please dont pay,i dont know why people dont fight for their right in Nigeria,even though you made a mistake with the names,collecting 30pounds will not change anything,its just outrageous,Joesph Ighogho [/b]is still the same as [b]Ighogho Joseph,and where is the customer service here?At MMA,there is no single friendly customer service shops,you have to practically beg them to serve you or attend to you,unbelievable.

Asiwaju.

beg to disagree. they dont mean the same thing. unless otherwise stated, your first name comes first. interchanging them means another name thing altogether.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by noblegas2(m): 11:15am On Mar 15, 2010
And U actually paid? Damn, wat a way to pay Maga money! If twas me, i wuld request 4 a refund of my ticket Fast & sharp.Dey can hold on to dere Ticket.Wat D Bleep is Terms & Conditions? Ur name is ur name! Wen i was cumin 2 9ja, ma names were completely nt arranged as it was in my passport & Turkish Airlines didnt complain.Wetin cum B Virgin own? People shuld stop flying Virgin & BA, AIR FRANCE or EMIRATES is better!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by Babasubomi(m): 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2010
Without mincing word,you actually goofed.You should not blame Virgin Atlantic for their action,rather you should learn to avoid such mistake in the future.This is one of the reasons why many Nigerians fail some job tests and interviews that appear to be simple and cheap.Joseph Ighogho is never the same as Ighogho Joseph because if another person whose surname is Joseph and first name Ighogho is given something that belongs to you,i believe you will raise an eyebrow and may even take legal action.Your experience should serve as a lesson to you and many others,including yours truly.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omofat: 12:52pm On Mar 15, 2010
This chap was just ignorant.

Mr Paul James is not the same as Mr James Paul.

You're even lucky they told you to only pay 30 pounds. Some other airlines will make you buy a new ticket grin
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by HARDDON: 1:39pm On Mar 15, 2010
dnt i jst luv this country? HERE, EVERYFIN GOES!

MENTAL SLAVERY!
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by chinesedoll(f): 2:33pm On Mar 15, 2010
@poster
rice and beans is not the same thing as beans and rice
But still if I were to be the one they def would not have gotten a cent from me.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by DisGuy: 3:13pm On Mar 15, 2010
You've been scammed mate!! angry

write to them or something next time they will probably start charging use for not including our middle names
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omofat: 3:16pm On Mar 15, 2010
He wasn't scammed jack. He didn't pay careful attention and was made to pay for it.

Allowing him to go free would have been at the discretion of the airline staff and unfortunately whoever he met wasnt nice enough. The buy was still responsible for getting his name right sha.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by DisGuy: 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2010
im sorry this is scam 101!! i mean how will they explain it? charging someone £30 to put his name back to front?
I'll expect this from easyjet or Ryanair
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omofat: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2010
Dis Guy:

im sorry this is scam 101!! i mean how will they explain it? charging someone £30 to put his name back to front?

Guy, anyone that has travelled with an airline knows those people are crazy when it comes to names. If your name is A. Peters, you try changing it to O. Peters and you will hear the lecture of your life.

Same thing book a ticket to travel at 2pm and then literally 5 minutes later pick the phone to change it to a later flight, say 7pm and again you will have to sweat blood to get it done.

Better not to make the error in the first place
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by DisGuy: 4:00pm On Mar 15, 2010
omo~fat:

Guy, anyone that has travelled with an airline knows those people are crazy when it comes to names. If your name is A. Peters, you try changing it to O. Peters and you will hear the lecture of your life.

Same thing book a ticket to travel at 2pm and then literally 5 minutes later pick the phone to change it to a later flight, say 7pm and again you will have to sweat blood to get it done.

Better not to make the error in the first place

that is totally different, this guy has his name correct just the wrong way round
We need a very loud consumer protection agency or even media in nigeria
if enough noise is made tehy will probably be offering this guy an apology and offering free meals or something

people travel with 32.5kg 33kg etc this agent is just being a prick of the highest order
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by AjanleKoko: 5:04pm On Mar 15, 2010
Personally I think Virgin is a stupid airline.

Last time I flew Virgin Atlantic was in 2006. On a return flight to Lagos from London, my inflight screen wasn't working, and I asked a male attendant who went 'hey, if it's not working, it's not working.', and shrugged his shoulders. Their counter at Terminal 3 Heathrow is always rowdy.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omofat: 5:05pm On Mar 15, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Personally I think Virgin is a silly airline.

Last time I flew Virgin Atlantic was in 2006. On a return flight to Lagos from London, my inflight screen wasn't working, and I asked a male attendant who went 'hey, if it's not working, it's not working. grin grin', and shrugged his shoulders. Their counter at Terminal 3 Heathrow is always rowdy.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by pappilo(m): 5:23pm On Mar 15, 2010
You guys have to remember that english isnt our first language. If it says write your name exacctly as it is on your passport, then your surname comes first abi ? Then using[b] first [/b]and last name can be confusing. In a country like Nigeria where we speak british english shouldnt it read; given name and surname/ family name? if as the poster said there was a long queue of people paying £30 then many passenger are falling into the same trap. What has Virgin done to remedy the situation? I bet nothing. Why? Beacuse it a nice little earner for them.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by omofat: 5:27pm On Mar 15, 2010
English IS our national language.

And I dont know too many people who dont know that lastname = surname.

Looks like they exist somewhere sha.
Re: Virgin Atlantic Dirty Tricks by bkoy: 5:38pm On Mar 15, 2010
@omo~fat, as if u know all. RUBBISH, angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Want UK Student Accommodation? / beauty of nature: amazing confluence of rivers around the world / Woman Crushed To Death After Her Cloth Got Hooked By A Truck (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.