Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,998 members, 7,806,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

The Boarders - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Boarders (485 Views)

The Boarders ( Part 7) / The Boarders Contd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Boarders by Ademolag(m): 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2017
I know he’s too young but we have no choice, we cannot keep him home for one whole year, it would be detrimental to his brain.

That was my father in a discussion with my uncle. My case has become popular. At the age of eleven everybody believed I was too young to go to secondary school- talk more of living there. But my father refused to harken to them. As the headmaster of the only primary school in the local government area, this qualifies him as the spring of wisdom in the village. His decision to send me far away to boarding school at a tender age was the final, not just as my father. His bald head gives him that look of a wise man, age and poverty have shrinked him physically but not mentally. I take his big eyes, round face and most of all his gentle look. The idea of education appealed to him a lot. My good grades never surprised anybody. He forced his formulas, theories, definition and so on down my throat. Perphaps if my mother hadn’t died during my birth she would have saved me from his tyranny. I have no choice, I must go! I wonder what it looks like to remain within a compound and never to see home and watch movies; though under his supervision, play with bello and other kids from the next street on Sundays, then count the cows being driven by those men with rags around their head. I won’t forget that day when one of their cows ran off, he went after it and while running his rag felled. We laughed so hard tears came down our cheeks. Whenever I remember that incident, I laugh just like I’m doing now. He finally got what he deserved for beating those innocent cows. I’ve heard stories of ghosts tormenting kids that live in the hostels. Maybe I should tell my father about it, he might change his mind because of it. Though there will be many children to play with at the hostel but I don’t know them. I have no choice! Federal government college, Nise; I don’t even know why he loves the school that much.

That was Dauda, he passed the federal common entrance examination in primary four. Like he said, his father doesn’t joke with education- science and mathematics to be precise. He looked eight at the age of eleven and has been condemned to the boarding house. He knew none of the kids, even his roommates seemed to avoid him for weeks. By the third week, he became home sick. He would go away from prying eyes just to cry. Senior Nzube shocked him the day he asked him why he likes crying.

“I want to go” was his reply. The room head did his usual job of convincing every jjc that the place would appeal to them soon enough. “Anybody that touches you, just come and tell me but don’t disrespect your senior oh”

To be continued!!!
Re: The Boarders by meneski(m): 12:47pm On Oct 22, 2017
so i am here... Come update sharperly... I love school stories.

2 Likes

Re: The Boarders by Ademolag(m): 11:23pm On Nov 05, 2017
THE BOARDERS (PART TWO)
Anybody that touches you, just come and tell me but don’t disrespect your seniors”.
Well, it worked on dauda. He went to the field that evening, he was chosen to join a football team of five boys from his room to compete against room two boys. He had fun doing what he loves but never had the chance at home. He liked the sight of many children playing on the large field. Some were running but most were playing his game. Girls were gathered together towards their hostel doing what he couldn’t figure out. He unleashed his great skills. This made him new friends and a new status in the eyes of all.

On getting to the hostel, there was a long queue at the tap, he noticed that the queue consisted of only junior students. Seniors would come and ask them to leave the tap, they stood some distance away from the tap and watch while the seniors take their bath.

That was the day he met Ebuka who offered him half bucket of water from his reserve.

He even accompanied him to the big bathroom they call laundry. Dauda turned away from Ebuka as he was about to strip, he stopped half way leaving his pants on, he bathed with it on.

Ebuka laughed at him, as they retired to the room, he told him he would soon get used to school life.

When the bell was rung, he asked, “Ebus what is that sound”? Ebuka told him ” it’s time for dinning, let’s go! prepare” Dauda started getting into his white shirt, He got annoyed when he heard Ebuka laughing. Ebuka opened his tinker box, handed him a checkered shirt and khaki shorts, “that’s what you should wear” he said.

At the Dinning, Dauda watched everybody eat, he couldn’t eat with everybody looking at him like that. His eyes caught Ebuka’s who motioned to him to eat. The beans was very appaling, he stopped at the fourth spoon and stood up to leave. Ebuka motioned to him to sit down. Suddenly he heard, “bow your heads” which he obeyed

“For the food we have eaten we thank you oh Lord!”

To be continued

#aderichards

Pages77.

Published by Ade richards

(1) (Reply)

Men Are Never Guilty / Mzee Arkyub Sonnet (eshu Laroye) / Journey To Italy - Untold Stories Of A Returnee (fourth Episode)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.