Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church (21844 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Private Jet With His Chiefs (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by doctimonyeka(m): 8:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
spyroet:
at last a sensible post tru talk
thanks.. But it's the truth..
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by Daviddson(m): 8:39pm On Oct 22, 2017
HungerBAD:
Nice one.

Your reign, just like that of the OBI of Onitsha shall bring prosperity to your people.

Look to the EAST my Brothers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6143204_d63e20661a754f63827dbe441092fc94sotrueamen_jpegf2532bd99dbf6bcf1c4e2d5faccc8dc0 You've joined? Pls do yourself a favour and retract your step. It's a poison laced with sugar. At the end, it ends in destruction. I know you understand what I mean! Jesus Christ is the way anytime.

2 Likes

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by Numberz(m): 9:00pm On Oct 22, 2017
sotall:
You are the fool here.
The church he went to is led by the Oba. So nothing wrong here.

Thank you so much...the younger ones are so disconnected from History! That's the (known) Binis' traditional worship center!!
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by OKUCHI11(m): 9:10pm On Oct 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Oba is head of Benin traditional church like Queen Elizabeth is head of the Anglican church. The Holy Aruosa is probably one of the oldest cathedrals in West Africa. Centuries old. Oba Orhogbua of Benin (reigned from 1550 to 1578) was trained in Portugal and became a Christian. His father Oba Esigie even joined his ancestors when he (Orhogbua) was in Portugal. Upon returning and becoming king, he wanted to make it a purely Christian monarchy like Portugal. But the powerful nobles/chiefs of Benin resisted.

Aside the King of Axum/Ethiopia, he became one of the earliest Sub-Saharan African Christian kings.

Yes, our education system sucks. It teaches hardly any proper history.

Sir I am very grateful for this enlightenment........thank you.... concerning your last statement... George Orwell remarked that the. most effective way of destroying people is to obliterate their own understanding of their history.... please if may ask....why is history no longer taught in secondary schools....
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by sirBLUNT: 9:13pm On Oct 22, 2017
AreaFada2:

Oba is head of Benin traditional church like Queen Elizabeth is head of the Anglican church. The Holy Aruosa is probably one of the oldest cathedrals in West Africa. Centuries old. Oba Orhogbua of Benin (reigned from 1550 to 1578) was trained in Portugal and became a Christian. His father Oba Esigie even joined his ancestors when he (Orhogbua) was in Portugal. Upon returning and becoming king, he wanted to make it a purely Christian monarchy like Portugal. But the powerful nobles/chiefs of Benin resisted.

Aside the King of Axum/Ethiopia, he became one of the earliest Sub-Saharan African Christian kings.

Yes, our education system sucks. It teaches hardly any proper history.

i must comment u on this expository indeed we nid to teach history in our schools today,i did history while in high skul n i remember oba ESIGIE who had a son dat schooled in portugal bt i cant elucidate on that story...the problem of nigeria is dat we dont evn knw our history.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by AreaFada2: 9:49pm On Oct 22, 2017
OKUCHI11:
Sir I am very grateful for this enlightenment........thank you.... concerning your last statement... George Orwell remarked that the. most effective way of destroying people is to obliterate their own understanding of their history.... please if may ask....why is history no longer taught in secondary schools....
Well I can only speculate. It is taught but very poorly & superficially. Standards have declined seriously. Like in all facets of life in Nigeria. You can now even "sort" than read widely on your own. If you have the money.

Many years ago I bumped into a young female Canadian professor in a European eatery. She was touring Europe. As we got acquainted she declared that her origin was Newfoundland in Canada. Then I began asking her questions about the area, the Gulf of Saint Lawrence/St Lawrence Seaway. Unable to properly answer the questions (she grew up in Ontario), she wondered how I even knew about the area. I explained that we covered all that in Regional Geography in 9ja around the age of 14. She was stunned. An African kid learning about waterway transportation in Newfoundland? And the economic importance of it in North America? And remembering it many years later?

I told her that if you wanted to get top grades, you needed to digest quite voluminous books. Be it in Geography, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, History or whatever. In secondary school. And we read to understand, not just to regurgitate. Our teachers told us then that if you passed your WAEC well, you could walk into any university in the anywhere world and do well. And So it came to pass.

It is a shame things have gone down badly in 9ja.

3 Likes

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by fatiaforreal: 9:52pm On Oct 22, 2017
Educative explanations.
The issue here is crisis of identity. We know:
Jews worship in Synagogues.
Christians worship in churches.
Muslims worship in Mosques.
Traditional worshippers use the shrine, Ojubo, Ileosa etc

It's ironic, Africans are no longer aware of what Africa has given to the world in knowledge; some of you guys would be shocked if you know the connection. Circumcision, hell, afterlife , redemption etc were first taught in Africa thousands of years before any known scripture.

1 Like

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by patonyx1: 10:23pm On Oct 22, 2017
HungerBAD:
Nice one.

Your reign, just like that of the OBI of Onitsha shall bring prosperity to your people.

Freemasons

1 Like

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by nuelphilips1759(m): 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
That's Holy Arousa Cathedral. It's Benin Traditional Church. Oba is the Spiritual head of it. Long Live Oba Ewuare II.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by TheKingIsHere: 11:57pm On Oct 22, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

With all due respect,

The Oba of Benin is just a confused fool.

Two days ago he was in shrine,
Yesterday he was with Tagbo's murderer,
Today he is in a church.

Our God can not be mocked.
The word 'Church' is synonymous to Christianity not Idolatry.

You just type things anyhow out of sheer stupidity.

Next time google and do your research before coming online to make a total fool of yourself.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by TheKingIsHere: 12:00am On Oct 23, 2017
plaetton:

I really get confused about Africans.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Oba Of Benin the head of a traditional institution that is supposed to be the one of the last CUSTODIANS and REPOSITORIES Of African culture and Traditions ?

Isn't the church, as a counter Institution, the very opposite, the enemy, the nemesis of African Culture and Tradition ?

I really do not understand the confused state of the African mind. undecided undecided

It is a tradition church owned by the oba of Benin himself.

Just because you heard church doesn't mean it is what you think. They don't practice Christianity there.

The Benin people hold their traditions with high esteem.

1 Like

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by 4koff: 4:26am On Oct 23, 2017
Nutase:
They just insulted the word 'church'.
This is actually a shrine.

HOLY AROUSA NA TRADITIONAL CHURCH, E NO GET BRANCH OR PASTOR OR PRIEST. Not like church church. Knowamin? No ending of prayers with ......in Jesus's Name.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by 4koff: 4:34am On Oct 23, 2017
[quote author=OsamaBinPaul post=61674012][/quote]

Eish! You are the fool here. With your little knowledge you opened your mouth. My grandma always says that "Anyone that asks questions, never missed his way" Ask questions my friend, instead of exhibiting your ignorance in the world stage. STEWPID!
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by letu(m): 7:35am On Oct 23, 2017
HungerBAD:
Nice one.

Even our traditonal leaders are into oyibo colonial Free manson indeed africans are slave indeed.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by Rayd502(m): 10:05am On Oct 23, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

With all due respect,

Today he is in a church.

I know you type mostly for the likes...But most times what you spew out is born out of sheer stupidity.The Benin monarch is one of the most revered in Nigeria so show respect.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by alcuin(m): 10:24am On Oct 23, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

With all due respect,

Today he is in a church.

The head of the Church of England (Anglican) is the Queen of England.

The head of Holy Aruosa Church is the Oba of Benin.

And please, don't insult royalty.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by odigbosky(m): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

With all due respect,

Today he is in a church.

You are a fool. i would have insulted your father and grandfather too. Ozuor, the Holy Aruosa is one of the oldest cathedral in this country. In that place, the Oba is representative of God. If you don't know anything about Benin just shut up your gutter mouth before Ogun go kill you. idiot.
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by josh123(m): 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2017
HungerBAD:
Nice one.

he is a freemasonry,rich men cult
Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by Nobody: 4:03am On Jan 13, 2018
you have mental problems.
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

With all due respect,

Today he is in a church.

Re: Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church by Nobody: 4:07am On Jan 13, 2018
The Oba of Benin is not a priest, he is a king, he is free to follow the religion of his choice and to go to a mosq, a church, a synagog, a shrine or whatever. You people's obsession with religion is a sign of mental illness.

plaetton:

I really get confused about Africans.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Oba Of Benin the head of a traditional institution that is supposed to be the one of the last CUSTODIANS and REPOSITORIES Of African culture and Traditions ?

Isn't the church, as a counter Institution, the very opposite, the enemy, the nemesis of African Culture and Tradition ?

I really do not understand the confused state of the African mind. undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olukere Of Ikere Ekiti Now Recognized As An Oba In Ekiti State / 'Lop-sided Appointments Responsible For Disunity In Nigeria' - Sultan Of Sokoto / Culture; Unclad Reed Dance In Swaziland Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.