Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,277 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? (12193 Views)

How To Write A Resume? / Differences Between A CV And A Resume / What To Do If You Don’t Know How To Write A Resume And How To Impress Hiring Emp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by sunky97: 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
Both cover letter and resume share the common purpose of proving that you have the right skills to excel at the job for which you are applying.
However, there are clear distinctions between the structure and intent of the two documents. Job seekers should view their cover letter and resume as a complementary but unique pair of documents.
That is, your cover letter should be more than just bullet points regurgitated from the resume.
Many employers require that a resume be submitted with a job application.
A cover letter may not be required. But, including one when you apply for a job can help your chances of getting selected for an interview.
The Difference Between a Resume and a Cover Letter
You can think of your resume as a general summary of your work experience and your cover letter as a summary of your work experience as it relates to the job at hand.
A resume is a document that itemizes your employment history. It summarizes the jobs you have held, the education you have attained, certifications, skills, and other quantifiable information about your background and work experience.
The most common resume format is a list with your contact information, an experience section that includes job titles, position descriptions, dates of employment, an education section, and other relevant information.
Typically, a resume is written in the third person and uses as few words as possible to summarize experience. So, instead of writing “I supervised the large buying team at XYZ company” a resume would have a bullet point that says, “Supervised 19-person buying team.” Whenever possible, you’ll want to use numbers on your resume, such as number of people you supervised, percent sales increased, number of customers helped, etc.
A cover letter is written to highlight the qualifications you have for the job for which you are applying. It is used to provide the employer with additional information as to why you are a good candidate for the job. The main function of your cover letter is to show off how your qualification make you a match for the job.
A cover letter is written in a letter format including a salutation, several paragraphs, and a closing. Unlike a resume, you should use use the first-person to write your cover letter. (That said, avoid using “I” too much.)

What a Resume Includes
Your resume should provide employers with a detailed list of your work experience and education. The skills and accomplishments associated with each job you have held should be described with enough detail to show employers how you have added value in those specific roles.
Often, resumes provide information in bulleted lists; this helps make the document concise and allows recruiters to scan through it quickly.

What a Cover Letter Includes
A cover letter is a short three or four paragraph document.
It should be written with the assumption that employers will consult your resume to match it to the statement you are making in the letter about your qualifications.
A cover letter will help employers to interpret your background as represented on the resume and will help prove how your previous experiences qualify you for a job.
http://tellmystory.com.ng/what-is-the-difference-between-a-resume-and-a-cover-letter/

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by tstx(m): 7:50am On Oct 23, 2017
hmm.... If you can help it don't even draft out one in the first place.... Working for someone else is silly. .aside from the fact that you are helping them to build their dream, you also may not get paid

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by RUGGEDWEAVER(m): 7:50am On Oct 23, 2017
;DOk grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Settingz321(m): 7:50am On Oct 23, 2017
Both are for job seekers

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 23, 2017
Una no dey tire for this matter?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by piperson(m): 7:52am On Oct 23, 2017
As a market woman

I don't think I need that
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Rmxr: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2017
Cover letter is like a preface while resume is the content itself. Your cover letter is just for you tell the employer how capable you are and how interested you are in the job . On the resume is your employment history and your skill/expertise

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2017
Thanks God I ain't searching no job for now. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by davodyguy: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2017
WTH do you mean by 'cover letter'

As a professional, when I use the term 'cover letter' in my office, I mean a letter covering either a cheque, a bill, or a report I'm about to send out. The covering letter informs the receipt of what you have enclosed along with that letter.

For example. When I send a report out, I would write in my cover letter 'Please find enclosed two copies of my Valuation report' etc

Hence, I'm wondering what relation it has with resume or must it have with resume.

You guys should learn how to use words appropriately.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Henitan24(f): 7:54am On Oct 23, 2017
nice one op
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 23, 2017
I don't really apply for jobs like that so I don't really put these things to mind. Thank for for internet and social media.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Dannieln1: 7:55am On Oct 23, 2017
I really can't define resume...
But cover letter to my understanding is a letter you write to someone(BABE) or group of people or an organisation(NPF) to truncate the truth and to cover up for shiit that you've done

Ehen! Resume is when your cover letter has been accepted
WTF! Am i typing
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by nenergy(m): 7:55am On Oct 23, 2017
No major difference except length and how it speaks about you. Nigerian recruiters don't know the difference or mind the type you send.

I can re-craft your CV for a little token. Nairaland fresh graduates get additional discount and get free eBook titled;
"The Job Seekers Creed" Check my signature
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by SuperSuave(m): 7:56am On Oct 23, 2017
all these talks and no picture sample? angry nawa o

illitrate:
Thanks God I ain't searching no job for now. grin
You're an illiterate who doesn't even know how to spell 'ILLITERATE', you don't need a resume or cover letter for a job bro grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by airminem(f): 7:57am On Oct 23, 2017
A Resume Means Buhari Resume Or Resign
A Cover Up Letter Means Cover Up Nepotism And Sentiment In Apc Govt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by ANBAKO: 8:05am On Oct 23, 2017
Resume is a chronological job history while cover letter is your track record, attributes and qualification that makes you a perfect candidate for the role.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by asawanathegreat(m): 8:06am On Oct 23, 2017
What is difference between APC and PDP? Oya make una ansa
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by StEugene(m): 8:23am On Oct 23, 2017
My question is: How do you go about the cover letter recipient's address where the job advert did not specify the designation of recipient??

Cos I learnt it is inappropriate to assume you're writing to a Human Ressource Manager
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Originalsly: 8:31am On Oct 23, 2017
davodyguy:
WTH do you mean by 'cover letter'

As a professional, when I use the term 'cover letter' in my office, I mean a letter covering either a cheque, a bill, or a report I'm about to send out. The covering letter informs the receipt of what you have enclosed along with that letter.

For example. When I send a report out, I would write in my cover letter 'Please find enclosed two copies of my Valuation report' etc

Hence, I'm wondering what relation it has with resume or must it have with resume.

You guys should learn how to use words appropriately.
Bro... as a professional.... why would you comment before reading? ..... but if you did read.... as a professional.... how can you not grab? For the sake of your employees..... you need to open the windows of your mind but then again..... you can bring the horse to the water but you can't make him drink it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by egbaguy2: 8:33am On Oct 23, 2017
many mad people above me....
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 23, 2017
SuperSuave:
all these talks and no picture sample? angry nawa o

You're an illiterate who doesn't even know how to spell 'ILLITERATE', you don't need a resume or cover letter for a job bro grin

Hahahaha you are the illiterate here, you ended a sentence without a full stop. grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by tonytheme(m): 9:07am On Oct 23, 2017
[quote author=davodyguy post=61683891]WTH do you mean by 'cover letter'

I too know (ITK) they worry you

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by lebete3000: 9:10am On Oct 23, 2017
sunky97:
Both cover letter and resume share the common purpose of proving that you have the right skills to excel at the job for which you are applying.
However, there are clear distinctions between the structure and intent of the two documents. Job seekers should view their cover letter and resume as a complementary but unique pair of documents.
That is, your cover letter should be more than just bullet points regurgitated from the resume.
Many employers require that a resume be submitted with a job application.
A cover letter may not be required. But, including one when you apply for a job can help your chances of getting selected for an interview.
The Difference Between a Resume and a Cover Letter
You can think of your resume as a general summary of your work experience and your cover letter as a summary of your work experience as it relates to the job at hand.
A resume is a document that itemizes your employment history. It summarizes the jobs you have held, the education you have attained, certifications, skills, and other quantifiable information about your background and work experience.
The most common resume format is a list with your contact information, an experience section that includes job titles, position descriptions, dates of employment, an education section, and other relevant information.
Typically, a resume is written in the third person and uses as few words as possible to summarize experience. So, instead of writing “I supervised the large buying team at XYZ company” a resume would have a bullet point that says, “Supervised 19-person buying team.” Whenever possible, you’ll want to use numbers on your resume, such as number of people you supervised, percent sales increased, number of customers helped, etc.
A cover letter is written to highlight the qualifications you have for the job for which you are applying. It is used to provide the employer with additional information as to why you are a good candidate for the job. The main function of your cover letter is to show off how your qualification make you a match for the job.
A cover letter is written in a letter format including a salutation, several paragraphs, and a closing. Unlike a resume, you should use use the first-person to write your cover letter. (That said, avoid using “I” too much.)

What a Resume Includes
Your resume should provide employers with a detailed list of your work experience and education. The skills and accomplishments associated with each job you have held should be described with enough detail to show employers how you have added value in those specific roles.
Often, resumes provide information in bulleted lists; this helps make the document concise and allows recruiters to scan through it quickly.

What a Cover Letter Includes
A cover letter is a short three or four paragraph document.
It should be written with the assumption that employers will consult your resume to match it to the statement you are making in the letter about your qualifications.
A cover letter will help employers to interpret your background as represented on the resume and will help prove how your previous experiences qualify you for a job.
http://tellmystory.com.ng/what-is-the-difference-between-a-resume-and-a-cover-letter/

The right discussion topic should have been "difference between a Resume and a Curriculum Vitae" as most people think they're similar but are actually different.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by escapellee(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2017
this is a great opportunity for you to ease out stress by being massaged. do you know that massage makes you healthier, eases out stress,develops your mental stability,makes you flexible and relaxes your nerves which also quickens other cells in your body to function well. call me or add me on whatsapp if you want a cool massage. 07033543846. or email shappalee@gmail.com. lagos and abuja only.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 23, 2017
A resume lists your educational experience as well as your work experience in a chronological manner you can either put it yearly or monthly while a cover letter is a brief and introductive to the resume. In the letter you can list critical skills you have that can benefit the employer make it personal to the employer.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by hometruth: 10:28am On Oct 23, 2017
asawanathegreat:
Haba, that na simple thing. PDP means Belle full, APC means recession. Oya, over, choose one.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by hometruth: 10:29am On Oct 23, 2017
asawanathegreat:
Haba, that na simple thing. PDP means Belle full, APC means dry stomach. Oya, ......over, choose one.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by ozone0801(m): 10:39am On Oct 23, 2017
[quote author=illitrate post=61685905]

How do I contact you?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by jc4real(m): 11:59am On Oct 23, 2017
lebete3000:

The right discussion topic should have been "difference between a Resume and a Curriculum Vitae" as most people think they're similar but are actually different.

Are they different? I thought CV(British English), is what the Americans call Résumé.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? by Teacher1776(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2017
piperson:
As a market woman

I don't think I need that
Of course, you need one. Situations may arise when you bid for a contract to supply goods to a client. As part of the process, you may be required to submit a resume and a cover letter.
Aim higher please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Which Of This Two Jobs Is Most Better / Serve Consulting Limited / MTN Nigeria Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.