Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN (13505 Views)

Dangote May Forfeit Refinery Project To Nigerian / Court Orders Ecobank To Forfeit N22.5bn Over Airtel Shares / FG Takes Ownership Of Funds In Bank Accounts Not Linked To BVNs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Adesiji77: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
Nigerians have continued to react with outrage to a court order obtained by the Federal Government to seize funds in accounts with no BVN/incomplete KYC documentation. The court order, which was obtained last week mandates the commercial banks in the country to freeze such accounts and make the balances known to the government. The banks are also expected to give details of revenues made from such funds.

Here are 10 reasons why the order may be faulty:

-BVN is not a prerequisite to opening and operating a bank account.
-There is no statute providing that money in account not linked to BVN should be forfeited to the federal government.
-The FG not being the owner of the money has no locus to institute the action.
-The money in those accounts does not belong to the CBN or the commercial banks.
-The banks under banking laws are debtors to depositors and not to the FG.
-The owners of the accounts are necessary parties and not joined in the suit.
-The owners of those accounts are denied the right to fair hearing.
-Orders of court must be specific and definite.
-Courts cannot make orders to bind parties that are not before it.
-The owners of the accounts have been found guilty without trial.

https://nairametrics.com/ten-things-wrong-order-forfeit-sums-account-not-linked-bvn/

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by amicable09(f): 10:29pm On Oct 24, 2017
Tell them!

This so called BVN that was haphazardly done. I've not seen anything with as much errors at the time of enrollment in my life than BVN.

Federal Government should continue to look for money in other places and stop making citizens wary of putting their monies in banks. Too much money under people's mattresses instead of bank accounts.

Trust Nigerians sha, where there's a will, there's a way. They'll outsmart FG.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by davide470(m): 10:58pm On Oct 24, 2017
In as much as this measure is a bit extreme, i support it. What would it take for you to link your BVN to an account or register for the BVN except you are hiding something..

..and the banks, making more money from these monies (why won't they complain)

grin

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by SweetWJ(m): 11:06pm On Oct 24, 2017
They are looking for ways to accumulate money for 2019 elections.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 25, 2017
Am sure without BVN you can not withdraw nor deposit RIGHT?

so why will someone leave there money in that state for more than a year.

I support the govt this time, except people(banks) are hidding something.

EDITED : most people are claiming that (there) are people in the diaspora with the live saving in there bank and can not come back.... THEN THEY ARE NOT SERIOUS.

example my bank send email almost every month inform there customers in diaspora about the location and time they conduct there BVN abroad.

but they truth is there is no need crying over spilled milk your money is inaccessible because soon or later bank or govt will claim it.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by XXLDICK(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2017
I support FG on this. The monies should be put in an escrow account for like 2 years.

If FG doesn't take the monies, the banks will.

Whichever way, the owners of the monies lose

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by kay29000(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2017
Hmm! So there are still people who haven't done the BVN thing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 25, 2017
Ayemi temi bami
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Giddiebabalaw(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2017
I think FG is broke... Looking for another means to raise fund.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 25, 2017
APC........

All
Promises
Cancelled

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by bettercreature(m): 9:21am On Oct 25, 2017
amicable09:
Tell them!

This so called BVN that was haphazardly done. I've not seen anything with as much errors at the time of enrollment in my life than BVN.

Federal Government should continue to look for money in other places and stop making citizens wary of putting their monies in banks. Too much money under people's mattresses instead of bank accounts.

Trust Nigerians sha, where there's a will, there's a way. They'll outsmart FG.
Are you a criminal?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by GetUmad: 9:22am On Oct 25, 2017
SweetWJ:
They are looking for ways to accumulate money for 2019 elections.
So you never realized the introduction of BVN actually made it difficult for some of our Politicians to claim some of their remote fraudulent accounts and those ones run by proxy. Hence many fraudulent dormant accounts trapped with huge funds.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by ozoemenaca: 9:22am On Oct 25, 2017
What about those who has been in Abroad for the past ten years now but has money in their account. Some even remit money into those account but they have not visited Nigeria since they left the country. Buhari policies would never have human face

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by kilmix: 9:23am On Oct 25, 2017
Let me gv a vivid scenerio of how this Court Order will cause gross injustice.

There are people that lost their loved ones with money in their accounts before the implementation of BVN but are yet to get a Letter of Administration to acess the accounts.

I bet these set of people will be greatly affected.

This govt sha... Always seeking ways to milk the common man.

ofuonyebi:

every supporter of fraud and corrupt activity in this country should cover their face with shame!

how many among u did not hav BVN on their account....those who chose not to have a BVN since all these yrs has something to hide

like those aiding them...the law is clear...if u think the law was wrong then, there is no need howling like a baby...just go to court..

Nigerians always like to hide under on finger to evade the laws of the land....let those involved face the music of their hypocrisy..

Don't let experience teach you a great lesson.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Creamz(m): 9:23am On Oct 25, 2017
If you have been in jail for the past 10 years how do you update your bvn? This move is wrong!

3 Likes

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by columbus007(m): 9:24am On Oct 25, 2017
This govt is a big fraud,what about so many Nigerians living outside the shores of this country?would they now begin to loose their hard earned money to the pulse of the govt? What nonsense undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by exlinklodge: 9:25am On Oct 25, 2017
ok - it seems we are right back were we started.

corruption is fighting back.

Seize the money and lets see who comes to claim it

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by leighcon(m): 9:25am On Oct 25, 2017
Wrong! BVN is mandatory for all tiers of accounts and a prerequisite to opening one.

-BVN is not a prerequisite to opening and operating a bank account.
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Readonee35L(m): 9:25am On Oct 25, 2017
ozoemenaca:
What about those who has been in Abroad for the past ten years now but has money in their account. Some even remit money into those account but they have not visited Nigeria since they left the country. Buhari policies would never have human face
columbus007:
This govt is a big fraud,what about so many Nigerians living outside the shores of this country?would they now begin to loose their hard earned money to the pulse of the govt? What nonsense undecided

You are very right.
The government is a big fraud.
Sometimes I wonder why mediocre and unintelligent people rule a whole country. They rule the country like its a nursery school.

Of course I'm not surprised . Most of them are there by connection no by what they have upstairs.

You guys should continue collecting bags of rice and #2,000 to vote.
Sell your future and that of your kids for a paltry sum. smiley .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by yomalex(m): 9:25am On Oct 25, 2017
hmm
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 25, 2017
Only criminals are afraid of this move
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by wickyyolo: 9:26am On Oct 25, 2017
Swiss bank is the only Answer
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Saifullah01: 9:26am On Oct 25, 2017
My friend go and do your BVN
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Oblitz(m): 9:28am On Oct 25, 2017
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Internetsavvy(m): 9:28am On Oct 25, 2017
How about those not in the country and haven't link their BVN

I'm an internet savvy ask me any question

https://www.nairaland.com/4126824/im-internet-savvy-ask-me
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by ofuonyebi: 9:30am On Oct 25, 2017
every supporter of fraud and corrupt activity in this country should cover their face with shame!

how many among u did not hav BVN on their account....those who chose not to have a BVN since all these yrs has something to hide

like those aiding them...the law is clear...if u think the law was wrong then, there is no need howling like a baby...just go to court..

Nigerians always like to hide under on finger to evade the laws of the land....let those involved face the music of their hypocrisy..
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by GetUmad: 9:30am On Oct 25, 2017
ozoemenaca:
Most banks in Nigeria actually created platforms for doing BVN in some of these countries.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by neonly: 9:32am On Oct 25, 2017
It not right some person might have life savings in dat account may find themselves in other parts of the country nd can't come back home for some issues nd d money might be a fall back money if the greener pastures isn't comfortable so I don't support FG on dis
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by omowolewa: 9:32am On Oct 25, 2017
A lot is wrong
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 25, 2017
The law is the law in Nigeria and everywhere else. You don't like the court order? Challenge it in a higher court. Simps!
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by Kagarko(m): 9:33am On Oct 25, 2017
Why will they not link to BVN. Because they have skeleton in their cupboard.

If FG doesn't do the needful the banks will.
Re: Ten Things Wrong With The Order To Forfeit Sums In Account Not Linked To BVN by TitansInfx: 9:37am On Oct 25, 2017
some lawyers will soon take the FG to court over this issue. The government has no right to sieze monies domiciled in bank accounts without the appropriate laws to back such seizures.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Have Money In The Bank Right Now (must Read) / What Can 5naira Buy? / CBN Imposes Penalty On Banks For Mutilated Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.