Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,098 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

My Golf III Problem - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Golf III Problem (5799 Views)

Golf III For Sale (price reduced) 280k / Golf III GTI For Sale With Airbag Call 08033451488 For N485k...........sold / Tokunbo Cheap Cars For Sale - Golf Iii And Honda Civic 2000 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Golf III Problem by freshp(m): 4:24pm On Mar 15, 2010
Hello everyone,
well i thought i should bring this to your notice i am kind of new to DIY(do it youeself) car maintenance  so i will need evry help that i can i get.
i own a golf III '96 model about (169819KM).
i just bought this car about 4 months ago and i keep experiencing a loss of power whenever
i am about to overtake another car or when i stop (after a long time on the road) to maybe
get something.On starting the car it just would not respond immediately (it tends to stall,hesitate before finally picking up speed).

funny enough when i start the car in the morning it stays on 10 rpm for like five minutes
then it begins to drop to 9 rpm,the next i notice is that it begins to oscillate
between 8 and 9 rpm(without touching the accelerator),it will then normalize for some time.this goes on until i turn it off.

i have since changed the fuel pump(3 times) and the fuel filter.there was this "T" hose
that was torn and i had to change it with a modified one since i could not get the actual one.(See c ON FIG 1).
After the change of the hose there was some improvement as the loss of power situation occured less frequently.

A friend (who owns a similar car but diffrent fuel supply system from mine) now suggested that i check the air flow meter.Before taking the car to the automech shop i wanted to ask a few questions.

1.what kind of fuel supply system do i have (From Fig 1,2&3)?
2.what kind of engine do i have in the car?
3.What is the name of the device (see A in fig 1) and what does it do?
4.where is the Airflow meter located in the engine[is it B (in fig 2)]?
5.what can i do to stop the loss of power, since the use of a scanner is
  out of the question, i say out of the question because where i am
  nobody seems to know what to do and i have never heard of anybody
  having it or knowing how to use it either.

I am really ready to get my hands dirty to get things right i just don't know what to do.
all help will be  Highly Appreciated.

Here are my NOs:08051283167;07027850721, just incase.
my email:wallydon77@yahoo.com;wallydon77@gmail.com.

thanks.

1 Share

Re: My Golf III Problem by sultaan(m): 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2010
This should be easy to fix if previous owner has not had it 'fixed'.
You got thefluctuating tachometer right it was caused by a vaccum leak, your T hose "C".It looked like a fix, look at other golf to see what it should really look like.I think it should be a PCV valve right there (check others cos I'm not familiar with golf).'A' should be air flow meter  .It works.

The part labeled B should be the IAC which controls the tach(rpm), or the TPS,disconnect (-ve batt cable first) carefully, pull it out if it has a long metal shaft its IAC, it will be covered by black dirt from engine, clean it, then pull the big hoseclamp from throttle body and clean the dirt from the butterfly valve.That should address the rpm issue( hope you meant 800-900rpm)

Disconnecting the battery will erase the codes which means your car will have to relearn, if your spark plug wires have the logo of VW on it change wire and spark plug Bosch 7927 http://www.boschsparkplugs.net/resultsApp.asp?productTypeID=1(change both anyway) one at a time don't mix up wires. that should address power loss. Do that with Oil and filter change.
Oil should be 10w30 (10w40 max) if you can't find 10w30

At 169k miles power problem might be transmission check fluid
Re: My Golf III Problem by freshp(m): 3:20pm On Mar 18, 2010
@ sultaan

Thanks a million for the prompt reply to my nagging dilemma,quite okay i took a good look at the "T" hose as at the time i got it removed , there wasn't any PVC valve there and here is a picture of the damaged Hose.there was nothing in or outside it.

then one thing that escaped my mind in the first post was that this stalling and hesitation of the engine on load occurs mostly when the weather is hot, i remember travelling at night sometimes ago for about 120Km.there was absolutely no hesitation or stalling even when overtaking any car, it just ran smoothly all through the trip.
the second experience was just about a week ago when i had to travel to ilorin from lokoja.On that day it looked like it was going to rain.The car ran so smoothly that i almost thought the problem had been rectified.when the weather cleared after about 2hrs and the temperature rose the stalling began and no matter how i floored the accelerator the car just wont increase in speed, it will only begin to backfire or misfire (, dont know if it is the right word)and give gunshot-like sounds from the exhaust.so what i did was to switch of the engine and then restart it again,the car would then move normally, but only to repeat the process again.
that led me to Some form of layman conclusion that my problem has to do with some form of air temperature control.

BTW do i have An electric caburretor system or Full fuel injector system.

i will need to hear from you again before i get down to business this weekend, could you pls let me have your number so i can get to you easily, thanks and God bless.

Re: My Golf III Problem by sultaan(m): 11:03am On Mar 19, 2010
This is all guess work, best way will be to pull the codes(if any).
So if you have to do it, ou'll be eliminating all posible cause fuel and air
Read attached link and see which fits your problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/backfire.htm
Re: My Golf III Problem by freshp(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2010
thanks man
i just information that there is a guy in Abuja who has the scanner i think i will have to go and see him sometimes soon i will tell you of the out come ,

thanks again for being there for me.
Re: My Golf III Problem by ayobase(m): 7:52am On Nov 03, 2016
freshp:
thanks man
i just information that there is a guy in Abuja who has the scanner i think i will have to go and see him sometimes soon i will tell you of the out come ,

thanks again for being there for me.

It is been 6 years, and no updates.

Morning.

(1) (Reply)

2004 BMW 330ci / SOLD! SOLD!! New 2015 Lexus RX350 / Mazda E2200 Pickup For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.