Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

"FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo (6424 Views)

FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / ‘FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities’- Alaafin Of Oyo Says . / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 26, 2017
Statsocial:
Indeed it is very important that Private Universities are given relief funds and maybe in exchange for lower fees. The truth is many private Universities are finding it difficult to sustain their budgets as a result of low student recruitment. With the Current scheme of things only Covenant, Babcock and ABUAD are having applications and enrollment exceeding 1000. Most other private universities are struggling to even recruit 500. Some can't even recruit 200.

It is not as if more Nigerians don't have the money to seek private higher education. But many just don't see the reason or motivation for it since public universities are cheap and sometimes even more reputable than some private Universities. I know this because when strike severely hit Lautech many of their students who would have protested for any little increase in tuition ran to Bowen to pay over 500k.

Good comment.

Govt does not have the extra funds...plus i seem to recall PMB saying that he would focus on primary and secondary schools when he took over
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by KAYD007(m): 7:37am On Oct 26, 2017
9jakohai:

They charge millions of naira for courses because they have to pay academic and non academic staff at the same rate as they are paid in govt universities.

then they pay light bills, generator fuel bills, have to build new facilities, etc.

Government should as well also give special funding to every business owners since they also operate within the hostile business environment since they pay the above listed bills you mentioned abi? undecided
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by blackpanda: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2017
9jakohai:

They charge millions of naira for courses because they have to pay academic and non academic staff at the same rate as they are paid in govt universities.

then they pay light bills, generator fuel bills, have to build new facilities, etc.

Thats true. But they registered as charity organization telling fg that they are here to help the educational system and so should not pay tax. So why turn around to still beg the same fg u are supposed to help for money If u cant function based on your finance, then fold up and let your assets pass to some other who can.

1 Like

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2017
Statsocial:

You do not say that an Alaafin is on cheap drugs. As a Yoruba man I am offended. The man as a right to air his views without being unnecessarily pummeled for sharing an opinion that is unpopular.

The opinion is stupid and the typical Nigerian mindset that the government should be responsible for everything.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 26, 2017
KAYD007:

Government should as well also give special funding to every business owners since they also operate within the hostile business environment and
pay the above listed bills you mentioned abi? undecided

I was merely explaining why fees in private unis are high
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Alexgeneration(m): 7:43am On Oct 26, 2017
Special funding? Caterers, masons, drivers, painters etc needs special funding too. So we should fund their personal businesses because they are the elites?
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by HyconMojo(m): 7:44am On Oct 26, 2017
betterABIAstate:
Is alaafin on drugs?
You don born many pikin abi so life don tire you? Next time, you don't say that to Iku baba yeye
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by KAYD007(m): 7:44am On Oct 26, 2017
oyb:

The opinion is stupid and the typical Nigerian mindset that the government should be responsible for everything.

Don't mind them. The below is what should be happening in our Educational sector if we have had competent successive government

Private schools in Rwanda close down as public schools become more attractive to parents

Private schools in Rwanda are on the verge of closing down due to low patronage. A report by Daily Nation says desperate proprietors who face closure of their institutions are now asking the government to sponsor students in private schools at public rates.

But the government has rejected the idea.

The “problem” started with the government’s twelve-year basic education policy which made public schools affordable and preferable.

According to the report, the Ministry of Education invested hugely in expanding capacity and teaching infrastructure at public schools across the country; introduced the school feeding programme and abolished school fees.

More than 30 private schools are said to have closed indefinitely this year, while others are struggling to stay afloat after losing students to public schools.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by xamuelotu(m): 7:47am On Oct 26, 2017
smithsydny:
So that what will happen?
so that owning a private university will become a lucrative business and Nigeria will be able to employ 10million workers in lia Mohammed voice
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by xamuelotu(m): 7:50am On Oct 26, 2017
maybe to follow fed uni go on strick the hungry them
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by yewawa: 7:51am On Oct 26, 2017
Special funding for what?......Well,i dont expect any meaningful statement from hard hearted bunch of people......Nonsense!
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Carter4luv(m): 7:51am On Oct 26, 2017
When FG has not finish funding federal universities na private.universities den go come fund.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by whizkidd: 7:51am On Oct 26, 2017
Nigerians need to evolve from a rent-seeking mentality to a value creating mentality. Why can't universities buy/rent land to use for agriculture. Say you start with 100 hectares, you can use the farmland to plant, to conduct research that your students are engaged in, you can experiment with agaric technology, chemicals etc All these things have monetary value. But because of Dutch-disease the first thing we always think of is government giving money.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Catalyst001(m): 7:53am On Oct 26, 2017
Alaafin oyo how far nah!

when u send ur own children to abroad institutions and private uni,u still seeking funds from FG? what is the hope of those who cant afford that exhorbitant fees private unis are paying?

who private university help
igbo fun yii
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Officialzoe: 7:53am On Oct 26, 2017
Statsocial:
The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, has advised the Federal Government to set up a special fund for the development of private universities in Nigeria.

Oba Adeyemi gave the advice on Saturday at the 5th convocation of Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti (ABUAD).

Ivy League 300 x 250
“This university is an exemplar in learning and character. It is moulding Nigeria’s future leaders in the best fashion.

“And I believe it won’t be out of place for the federal government to give special intervention funds for private universities,” the Alaafin said.

TheNewsGuru reports that 21-year-old Ahwin Kevin Akporode of Department of Mechanical Engineering emerged the overall best of the 869 graduating students with cumulative Grade Point Average of 5.00.

The university also conferred honorary Doctor of Letters on former Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof Peter Okebukola and an American Philanthropist and President of Project CURE Foundation, Dr Williams Douglas.

Earlier in an address of welcome, founder of the university, Chief Afe Babalola, said the university would not deviate from its focus to bridge the existing gap in functional education in Nigeria by its pragmatic approach to teaching.

Read Also: N918m fraud: I was detained in EFCC custody on Titi Atiku’s order, says Akpan-Jacobs
He appealed to the federal government to construct a airport in Ekiti, saying such project was long overdue, taking into cognizance the feats achieved by the university and its contributions to nation building.

“We started this university with about 250 students seven years ago, but today, we have 8,000 students here. We were able to achieve this because we deviated from the norm of just going to university to get certificates.

“We also exposed them to skills acquisition in baking, farming, Internet expertise, and other entrepreneurial skills that can make them cope under the present Nigeria’s economy.

“So the type of graduands you are seeing are thorough-bred graduates who can effectively stand on their own, “ Babalola said.

Also speaking at the ceremony, Governor of Ekiti State, Ayo Fayose, reminded the graduands to detach themselves from the erroneous impression that acquisition of university certificates would automatically make their lives better.

“It will be wrong for you to think that people only go to university to acquire certificates: No, it goes beyond that. What university education means is the training of a complete being,” Fayose said.

Read Also: Shares suspension: SEC’s directives illegal, aimed at ruining our business – Oando
Receiving the best graduating student award, Ahwin said he dedicated the academic laurel to his sterling parental guide, which he said was outstanding.

“I owe this achievement to my parents. My father’s strict military background and my mother’s guide as a teacher helped me a lot.

“When I got to ABUAD, I also applied the aphorism of our founder, which is industry, determination, learning and character. The combination of all these helped me a lot,” the young graduand said.

https://www.thenewsguru.com/alaafin-solicits-special-funding-private-universities/

Lalasticlala TheVictorious

Why is it called Private University pls...
Oba must be high
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by delishpot: 7:54am On Oct 26, 2017
Better yet not funding but special grants to students who pass the school exams. The help should go to students not the school founders. That way it is a win win situation. School gets paid, students get opportunity to study.

2 Likes

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Reference(m): 7:56am On Oct 26, 2017
I completely disagree with this. The government should not blanket fund private universities. There are two things it can however do. One is to offer scholarships and grants to eligible citizens to subsidize tuition. The other is to fund research, that is to advance knowledge is specific areas of government interest. And not just throwing money at these institutions which will lead to corruption, mismanagement ans inefficiency.

Government can also, through legislation mandate the private sector to invest in human capital and programs for their personal consumption. This is a more structured, efficient and sustainable model.

1 Like

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Lomprico2: 8:10am On Oct 26, 2017
Idiot!! You deserved to be dethroned.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:23am On Oct 26, 2017
give them special funding again as how? though is privately owned or one man business. . .even upon the huge fees they charge and collect you still want the government to give them funds. .even special funds. .sir n.a. wa for u. .
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by gGGODDd(m): 8:31am On Oct 26, 2017
The monarch is disgracin himself, his kingdom and yoruba race. he was invited to the convocation ceremony and he had to give a speech. so that was what he could come up with. something that he wouldn't say in the midst of his colleagues or he gets bashed for it. very embarrassing statement from a monarch. I use to have great respect 4 yoruba monarch esp d likes if Alaafin nd Ooni but I hear one shakes politicians nd bow to them n also claims white Jesus is his father, while another yoruba king Oluwo of iwo has said Nigerias problem is cusd by monarchs worshiping dieties nd today I lost respect for the Alaafin for this senseless statement an average well thinking Nigerian youth would laugh at. private varsitys that dont pay no dime to govt, Govt should fund them for the owners while govt schools lavish in underdevelopment? what sought of kings d yoruba nation breeds?
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by wildchild02: 8:36am On Oct 26, 2017
In this Naija? Lols

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE!
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Daboomb: 9:07am On Oct 26, 2017
Sunnycliff:
There's a reason why it's called PRIVATE UNIVERSITY

I think Allafin is on some cheap drugs here! undecided undecided

When the Govt has not properly funded its own Public Universities, it should be spending our tax on Privately owned university? shocked shocked

Alaafin, if nor be for respect, l for swear for you this morning o.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Michael004: 9:11am On Oct 26, 2017
betterABIAstate:
Is alaafin on drugs?
He sure is baba.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 26, 2017
xamuelotu:
so that owning a private university will become a lucrative business and Nigeria will be able to employ 10million workers in lia Mohammed voice
am from the wrong country
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by ernesterioo(f): 9:23am On Oct 26, 2017
Imagine what this man is spilling from his mouth...
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by MightyHand(m): 9:34am On Oct 26, 2017
therefor the FG must fund private primary & secondary schools, even other private enterpris.. Alaafin on over-dose. radarada
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 26, 2017
whizkidd:
Nigerians need to evolve from a rent-seeking mentality to a value creating mentality. Why can't universities buy/rent land to use for agriculture. Say you start with 100 hectares, you can use the farmland to plant, to conduct research that your students are engaged in, you can experiment with agaric technology, chemicals etc All these things have monetary value. But because of Dutch-disease the first thing we always think of is government giving money.
To be clear not necessarily all private universities are clamouring for Tetfund. I haven't heard such request from baze, covenant, Turkish Nile or AUN. But you have redeemers, ABUAD, Caleb and many others calling for Tetfund for private Unis. As regard your comment on agric many private Unis already have that and are generating lots of cash from it.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by xamuelotu(m): 9:53am On Oct 26, 2017
smithsydny:
am from the wrong country
lol. but we can work it out to change things for our children, personally have given hope on ur leaders I just do what is expected as a follower and forget about the rest
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 26, 2017
xamuelotu:
lol. but we can work it out to change things for our children, personally have given hope on ur leaders I just do what is expected as a follower and forget about the rest
I don't know if we have leaders or not.. Working hard to make my life better

1 Like

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by mechanics(m): 9:55am On Oct 26, 2017
No pic?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

/ The Bad Side Of Living Off Campus (must See Pic) / See How To Convert Your Airtime Credit Into You Bank Account And......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.