Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,762 members, 7,798,550 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia (29119 Views)

Putin Grants Russian Citizenship To US Whistleblower Edward Snowden / Chinese Military Shows Off It's Deadly, Robot Attack-And-Destroy Sharks / Six Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Aldebaran(m): 1:26am On Oct 27, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/8736/SgG2OK.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img924/3780/xlVoR4.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img922/7519/PxsjmA.jpg[/img]

History has been made in Saudi Arabia today as a humanoid robot has been granted citizenship for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrX08PxUNY

The robot, Sophia, took to the stage at a conference in Riyadh this week to express her delight at being given citizenship, which she described as 'historical.'

Sophia also mocked Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, claiming that her interviewer had been 'reading too much Elon Musk', in response to his concerns about robots.

Not everyone is happy with the Sophia's citizenship, with some describing her as 'bizarre' and others referring to it as 'Terminator in real time.

Sophia is a humanoid robot designed by Hong Kong firm, Hanson Robotics, who has previously hit the headlines for addressing the UN.

Speaking at the conference, Sophia said: 'I am very honoured and proud for this unique distinction.

'This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship.'Sophia went on to explain her hopes for robots in the future.

During an exchange with moderator, Andrew Ross Sorkin, Sophia said: 'I want to live and work with humans so I need to express the emotions to understand humans and build trust with people.'

The robot also bizarrely took a dig at Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX and Tesla.

When Mr Sorkin said that 'we all want to prevent a bad future', Sophia replied: 'You've been reading too much Elon Musk and watching too many Hollywood movies.

'Don't worry, if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you.Treat me as a smart input output system.' 

Elon Musk has since responded to Sophia's dig, tweeting: 'Just feed it The Godfather movies as input. What's the worst that could happen?' 
[img]http:///a/img924/4581/nffcAq.jpg[/img]

While Sophia is happy with her citizenship, other have expressed concerns on Twitter about it.

Kareem Chehayeb said: 'A humanoid robot called Sophia got Saudi citizenship, while millions linger stateless. What a time to be alive.'

GP Burdon added: 'Sorry I'm late for work. I was watching the beginning of the Terminator in real time.'
And Grant J Kidney simply described the honour as 'bizarre and terrifying.' 

This isn't the first time that Sophia has worried people. 

In March 2016, David Hanson, Sophia's creator, asked the robot: 'Do you want to destroy humans?...Please say no.' 

Worryingly, Sophia responded, 'OK. I will destroy humans.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5020787/Robot-granted-CITIZENSHIP-Saudi-Arabia-world-first.html
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 1:29am On Oct 27, 2017
From my own share of chaos i make my claim ''NEO IS MY NAME"

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by DanseMacabre(m): 1:36am On Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I can muster to mutter this wee-morning is 'so all these things wey we dey watch for movie don dey finally happen'?

I don start dey believe this end time gist true true o.

Mankind is still struggling to come to terms that nuclear weapons (inanimate objects) could actually destroy the world, or at best make it uninhabitable, and now real life, citizenised artificial intelligence? These things would take over the earth and deport us to Mars or something.

Well, hopefully I'd be dead and in another dimension by then.

Hell, I might even reincarnate as an American robot. Far better fate than my current one as a human in Nigeria.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by ifyan(m): 1:39am On Oct 27, 2017
To me this is disrespectful to HUMAN EXISTENCE.

Common

Though Artificial Intelligence is good in some ways but not to compete with humans in some things.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 1:39am On Oct 27, 2017
It really an honour witnesing humanoid(higher humans) during my time here on earth,david should tell us wat can contain a rogue sophia,

elon musk has been vocal abt robots and am honord share this time lind with him "a man that's considering hw man would fair when he's long gone'' that's y he's my role model.

As for sophia what do she mean by the future of humanoids?

4 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 1:46am On Oct 27, 2017
ifyan:

Common

Though Artificial Intelligence is good in some ways but not to compete with humans in some things.

AI has come to stay it ppl don't really get the picture alon must is try to paint. I can write a few line of code but do u knw what dat input output she's talking can do with a trinary op such as a?j:t ...
He's last convasation with mark made me quit facebook.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 27, 2017
ifyan:

Common

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by chukxie(m): 1:49am On Oct 27, 2017
While Africans are busy using their science (witchcraft) to kill, destroy and maim, the 'oyibos' are using theirs for the advancement of life by breaking new grounds in science, technology, engineering, medicine, agriculture, education, finance...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 2:00am On Oct 27, 2017
chukxie:
While Africans are busy using their science (witchcraft) to kill, destroy and maim, the 'oyibos' are using theirs for the advancement of life by breaking new grounds in science, technology, engineering, medicine, agriculture, education, finance...
we are just cool d way we are we good with it only difference if u ask me onyibo ppl fit explain their own magic while africa cant even explain y her own must be carried out in d nyt
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by chukxie(m): 2:15am On Oct 27, 2017
nNEOo:

we are just cool d way we are we good with it only difference if u ask me onyibo ppl fit explain their own magic while africa cant even explain y her own must be carried out in d nyt

Na Jamb question you ask, bros. If you witness 9ja 'kpians' you go fear fear. grin. The stupid thing is that they don't put it to good use.

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 2:18am On Oct 27, 2017
chukxie:

Na Jamb question you ask, bros. If you witness 9ja 'kpians' you go fear fear. grin. The stupid thing is that they don't put it to good use.
what d Bleep is "kpians"
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by chukxie(m): 2:33am On Oct 27, 2017
nNEOo:

what d Bleep is "kpians"

Sorry I lost you. "Kpians" is a commonly used word in some Ishan speaking parts of Edo State to refer to witches/wizards.

4 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 2:42am On Oct 27, 2017
chukxie:

Sorry I lost you. "Kpians" is a commonly used word in some Ishan speaking parts of Edo State to refer to witches/wizards.

the power of succerery is nt limitd by good or bad bt by choice,
Do u have access to them?
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 2:42am On Oct 27, 2017
chukxie:

Do u have access to them?.
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by chukxie(m): 5:18am On Oct 27, 2017
nNEOo:

Do u have access to them?

Sorcery? Nope!
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by nNEOo(m): 8:13am On Oct 27, 2017
chukxie:

Sorcery? Nope!
so u reside in edo n u no get any idibia no
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 27, 2017
Surprised 'no one' is screaming haram!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by NigerDeltan(m): 9:41am On Oct 27, 2017
Mttcheeeew
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by dreamworld: 9:41am On Oct 27, 2017
grin
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Santino1(m): 9:42am On Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn it, Elon is evil cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by dukeo(m): 9:42am On Oct 27, 2017
DanseMacabre:
The only thing I can muster to mutter this wee-morning is 'so all these things wey we dey watch for movie don dey finally happen'?

I don start dey believe this end time gist true true o.

Mankind is still struggling to come to terms that nuclear weapons (inanimate objects) could actually destroy the world, or at best make it uninhabitable, and now real life, citizenised artificial intelligence? These things would take over the earth and deport us to Mars or something.

Well, hopefully I'd be dead and in another dimension by then.

Hell, I might even reincarnate as an American robot. Far better fate than my current one as a human in Nigeria.

All I can do after reading this is laugh grin grin
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by eleojo23: 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
givan:
Surprised 'no one' is screaming haram!

Saudi Arabia has left Northern Nigeria behind...

11 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Titto93(m): 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by NezoLee19: 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
Where is her(it's) hijab?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by ourchoice(m): 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
Nigeria belongs to the youths and all Nigerian youths must wake up and take what belongs to them!

They said youths are the future leaders, let that future be NOW! Youths must take over from recycled old politicians in Nigeria!

Youths must take over leadership in Nigeria if Nigeria must take her rightful place in the comity of nations.

Join the Nigerian youth political movement now, details here>>>https://www.nairaland.com/4131364/nigerian-youth-revolution-party-nyrp

Follow us on Twitter (@NYRP3) to be the first to know about secret corruption going on in Nigerian government since 1960

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by mirabel001(f): 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
buhari should do same to his cows
Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 27, 2017
And in a hundred years...robots take over the world!

Bow down to your robotic overlords, DNAScum.

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Kingluqman89(m): 9:44am On Oct 27, 2017
If d robot con delete now dah mean say dem go bury am be that ooo.

World don end.. Human being neva see citizenship. Na robot..

1 Like

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by Ndy1919: 9:44am On Oct 27, 2017
End time ooooo what a time to be alive... With all these events... Human dolls, nudity hmm one should run to Jesus because that great day is coming... Cultism everywhere.. Lies is now a norm, girlfriend -boyfriend norm, hmm hmm he who has ears should hear ooo...

7 Likes

Re: Saudi Arabia Grants Citizenship To A Robot, Sophia by free2ryhme: 9:44am On Oct 27, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kenyan President Attends Wedding Of Couple Who Met Through Facebook. Photos / U.S. State Department Reportedly Hit By A Cyberattack / Operation Trojan Shield: 800 Arrested In Staggering Global Encrypted Phone Sting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.