Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results (6213 Views)

Another Mass Failure Recorded As Neco Releases Results / When Will Waec Gce Nov/dec Results Be Realeased? / 98% Of Candidates Fail As NECO Releases NOV/DEC Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by asha80(m): 10:45am On Mar 17, 2010
98% of candidates fail as NECO releases Nov/Dec results
By Francis Falola, Minna, Published: Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010

The National Examinations Council has released the results of the November/December Senior School Certificate Examinations, with 98 per cent of the 234,682 failing to clinch five credits, including English and Mathematics.

But NECO stated that 4,223 candidates got five credits, including English and Mathematics.

The 4,223 candidates formed about 1.80 per cent of those that sat for the examinations, while Kogi, Bauchi and Ondo led others states in the list of examination malpractices.

The Registrar of NECO, Prof. Promise Okpalla, stated this in his address at the NECO national headquarters in Minna on Tuesday.

He added that 234,682 candidates wrote the examinations out of 245,157 that registered.

He said, “Today, NECO formally announces the results of the 2009 Nov/Dec SSCE which held in 1,708 centres spread across the country.

“Inasmuch as education remains a potent tool for attaining national goals, NECO will remain a veritable instrument for measuring educational attainment at the secondary school level, as standards will not be sacrificed for whatever reasons.”

He mentioned the total number of candidates with five credits and above irrespective of subjects as 12,197, representing about 5.2 per cent of those that sat for the examination.

Okpalla also said that 236,613 cases of examination malpractices were discovered in the examinations.

He said while Kogi topped the list of examination malpractices, the Federal Capital Territory, Abia and Oyo states were ranked lowest in infractions.

He regretted the poor performance of the candidates in the examination, saying that there was the need for stakeholders to intensify efforts in ensuring improvement in candidates’ performance.

Okpalla advised candidates that wrote the examination to visit NECO’s website with the same scratch card used in registering to access their results.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003171191364
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by chrisical(m): 11:27am On Mar 17, 2010
Shocking!
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by bilymuse: 11:56am On Mar 17, 2010
Nothing seems to be working, which way forward?
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by asha80(m): 11:57am On Mar 17, 2010
i do not think we know the magnitude of what this portends for the future on this country if indeed it has a future.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by naijaswag1: 12:05pm On Mar 17, 2010
This is bizarre.Although I have not looked at the history of NECO year on year results release;this should be the worst since NECO's inception.Damnite! If 98% of candidates who sat for exams failed,it really portends danger for the future.These are future leaders who can't passed exams.This is the fallout of governments neglect of the education's system vis-a-vis the well being of the whole nation which has been sacrificed for that of miserable one soul in the name of the president and some 'el chapo' cabbal headed and directed by Lady Turai.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by ohisng(m): 12:19pm On Mar 17, 2010
How can u be surprised when all youths do is watch dry assed home videos, government wont finance schools to be well equipped and parents blatantly bribe to get their children to pass
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by otokx(m): 12:31pm On Mar 17, 2010
Most of us no longer read even those that go to the so called private schools come back and sit in front of the TV why won't the failure rate be high.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2010
I have two cousins in school and i know that if they write WAEC today they will fail, all they do is watch African Majic, i have advised scolded, cajoled, flogged, barred the channel but for where. Nad all their friends are like that. The parents are worse, my dad used to give us a bok a week to read and you pick out new words and tell him the story line, parents today re just doing ego contest on how much their childrens fees costs, they dont even know what the child is learning. I work with schools especailly public schools and beleive me most of the teachers go out of their way to help these children to learn but forwhere, Black Berry, Face book and African Majic is better than books
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by oge4real(f): 12:46pm On Mar 17, 2010
Future of tomorrow indeed.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by asha80(m): 12:48pm On Mar 17, 2010
aisha2:

I have two cousins in school and i know that if they write WAEC today they will fail, all they do is watch African Majic, i have advised scolded, cajoled, flogged, barred the channel but for where. Nad all their friends are like that. The parents are worse, my dad used to give us a bok a week to read and you pick out new words and tell him the story line, parents today re just doing ego contest on how much their childrens fees costs, they dont even know what the child is learning. I work with schools especailly public schools and beleive me most of the teachers go out of their way to help these children to learn but forwhere, Black Berry, Face book and African Majic is better than books

I have noticed the bolded too.It is a case of my son or daughters private school is better than urs.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by blackmann(m): 12:48pm On Mar 17, 2010
aisha2:

that's what today's generation has turned into. same thing happens here. even heard a kid here shot his parents cos he wasn't allowed to watch TV and was told to go study. Oh, and u forgot to add Food to that list.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 17, 2010
asha 80:

I have noticed the bolded too.It is a case of my son or daughters private school is better than urs.
My dear, or our private teacher charges per hr, Imagine 2, 3 and 4 yr olds doing private lessons, for God sake, what rubbish.
blackmann:

that's what today's generation has turned into. same thing happens here. even heard a kid here shot his parents cos he wasn't allowed to watch TV and was told to go study. Oh, and u forgot to add Food to that list.
Now i thank God for all those beating i recieved from my mom for watching "too much TV" when i go to sneak to watch TV before i finish my house work and home work, she will wait till am all cosy then Twah, blinded by a slap.
Kids now have their own Tv and tell their parents what they wanna watch, I was only allowed to to seseme Street, Kiddie Vision 101 and speak out. Now High school musical, Ben 10 and rubbish, no educational value none at all, just stupid stuff.
Watching Voltron or superted was a reward for finishing my book on time
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by desgiezd(m): 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2010
This is scandalous!! 98% failure!! 236,613 cases of malpractice in an examination where the total number of candidates is 234,682. 4,223 candidates with five credit passes.

In what area is Nigeria excelling? None. What then does the future portend? If the general deterioration in Nigeria has also consumed the educational sector to this extent, then we should begin to write this country off as there really is nothing to call a future for Nigeria. Parents, teachers, governments at all levels have all lost it!

What a pity!
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by desgiezd(m): 1:34pm On Mar 17, 2010
aisha2:

Now i thank God for all those beating i recieved from my mom for watching "too much TV" when i go to sneak to watch TV before i finish my house work and home work, she will wait till am all cosy then Twah, blinded by a slap.
Kids now have their own Tv and tell their parents what they wanna watch, I was only allowed to to seseme Street, Kiddie Vision 101 and speak out. Now High school musical, Ben 10 and rubbish, no educational value none at all, just silly stuff.
Watching Voltron or superted was a reward for finishing my book on time

Aisha, you would be making a terrible mistake if you begin to compare the quality of mothers we had in our time with the quality of mothers these days. Ours were mothers that would never spare the cane but today what you get is a bar of chocolate and a pat at the back for behaving badly. Our mothers were considered old fashioned for using the cane while today’s mothers, or should I say parents, are jet age parents who would go to their children’s schools and fight the school authority when a teacher flogs their children. Some would even threaten that they would ensure the particular teacher loses his or her job.
Only God knows what I would have become today had my mother not beaten the stubbornness and laziness out of my life and had my teachers spared the cane. A teacher that refuses to flog my child for behaving badly would not find it funny with me. Whatever the society says about human rights, I would never spare the cane in instilling discipline in my children.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by asha80(m): 1:38pm On Mar 17, 2010
desgiezd:

Aisha, you would be making a terrible mistake if you begin to compare the quality of mothers we had in our time with the quality of mothers these days. Ours were mothers that would never spare the cane but today what you get is a bar of chocolate and a pat at the back for behaving badly. Our mothers were considered old fashioned for using the cane while today’s mothers, or should I say parents, are jet age parents who would go to their children’s schools and fight the school authority when a teacher flogs their children. Some would even threaten that they would ensure the particular teacher loses his or her job.
Only God knows what I would have become today had my mother not beaten the stubbornness and laziness out of my life and had my teachers spared the cane. A teacher that refuses to flog my child for behaving badly would not find it funny with me. Whatever the society says about human rights, I would never spare the cane in instilling discipline in my children.

haha jet age parents in deed. grin
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by blacksta(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2010
And this is a country ranked 33rd Economy in the World - What a big joke
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by youngies(m): 2:41pm On Mar 17, 2010
This scandalous!!! shocked

A major human development catastrophe is looming
The blame is on the government, teachers, parents and the society in general

Our values these days are highly misplaced
I once caught my nephew using his phone to download and play p.orn videos instead of preparing for his forthcoming JSS exams, while his mother sees nothing wrong in buying his 14 year old son an E70 Nokia phone.

I was quickly reminded of how Facebook, Hi5 and Nairaland and other social newtorking sites has replaced libraries.

A country that finds noffing wrong with a blatant public display of p.orn DVDs on the streets where kids of even 6 years can even watch has no future
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 17, 2010
asha 80:

98% of candidates fail as NECO releases Nov/Dec results
By Francis Falola, Minna, Published: Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010

The National Examinations Council has released the results of the November/December Senior School Certificate Examinations, with 98 per cent of the 234,682 failing to clinch five credits, including English and Mathematics.

But NECO stated that 4,223 candidates got five credits, including English and Mathematics.

The 4,223 candidates formed about 1.80 per cent of those that sat for the examinations, while Kogi, Bauchi and Ondo led others states in the list of examination malpractices.

The Registrar of NECO, Prof. Promise Okpalla, stated this in his address at the NECO national headquarters in Minna on Tuesday.

He added that 234,682 candidates wrote the examinations out of 245,157 that registered.

He said, “Today, NECO formally announces the results of the 2009 Nov/Dec SSCE which held in 1,708 centres spread across the country.

“Inasmuch as education remains a potent tool for attaining national goals, NECO will remain a veritable instrument for measuring educational attainment at the secondary school level, as standards will not be sacrificed for whatever reasons.”

He mentioned the total number of candidates with five credits and above irrespective of subjects as 12,197, representing about 5.2 per cent of those that sat for the examination.

Okpalla also said that 236,613 cases of examination malpractices were discovered in the examinations.

He said while Kogi topped the list of examination malpractices, the Federal Capital Territory, Abia and Oyo states were ranked lowest in infractions.

He regretted the poor performance of the candidates in the examination, saying that there was the need for stakeholders to intensify efforts in ensuring improvement in candidates’ performance.

Okpalla advised candidates that wrote the examination to visit NECO’s website with the same scratch card used in registering to access their results.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003171191364
very hysteric!!!
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by BlackRevo: 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2010
This is terrible.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by PapaBrowne(m): 3:46am On Mar 18, 2010
How can 98% fail?? That is an indictment on the teachers, not exactly on the students!
Its also probably an indictment on NECO itself. There is something just not right with the concept of a 98% failure. Things cannot just be that bad.

Don't private schools also write NECO?? There surely are a lot of very standard private schools in Nigeria with very capable kids.
I really don't believe this figure. Except  maybe I'm so out of touch with the reality of the comatose Nigerian education system.

aisha2:

[b]Watching Voltron [/b]or [b]superted [/b]was a reward for finishing my book on time

Nostalgic memories!! I Couldn't get enough of Voltron & Superted!!
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 18, 2010
Both sides of the coin are to blame, but one side is rustier than the other
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by BlackRevo: 7:08am On Mar 18, 2010
PapaBrowne:

How can 98% fail?? That is an indictment on the teachers, not exactly on the students!
Its also probably an indictment on NECO itself. There is something just not right with the concept of a 98% failure. Things cannot just be that bad.

Don't private schools also write NECO?? There surely are a lot of very standard private schools in Nigeria with very capable kids.
I really don't believe this figure. Except  maybe I'm so out of touch with the reality of the comatose Nigerian education system.

Nostalgic memories!! I Couldn't get enough of Voltron & Superted!!

Most private school students do not write this NECO GCE Nov/Dec exam, they only write the May/June WAEC and June/July NECO exams which they all  pass in flying colors hence no need of writing this other exams which are more difficult. They mostly write the SAT, ACTS, London GCE, TOEFL and other foreign exams after their high school graduation.

These NECO and WAEC GCE exams were actually meant for students who have  already finished their high school education but just need to retake these exams if they did not meet up with the five credits required for admission. You also need it for studying abroad as well and you must have received your secondary school certificate before purchasing these forms because they will ask you at the point of purchase.

But what do we have now? every tom, manliness and harry from SS2 and SS3 who have not even written their senior secondary school final exams are now taking GCE exams  in addition to the ones that are already graduated with their terrible f9's.
Re: 98% Of Candidates Fail As Neco Releases Nov/dec Results by johnprecious: 6:34am On Sep 15, 2014
Neco result is out and I just upgraded some of my subject through the help of Mr Richard a neco officer,cause I have already gained an admission and my Waec result was withheld ,I couldn't wait for my Waec result to b released cause I don't no how long it will take so I decided to wait for my Neco result to my supprise I failed some of the subject I needed most so I decided to look for help and a friend gave me Mr Richards number and I told him my problem and he helped me upgraded the subjects ,all thanks to Mr Richard my Neco result was upgraded .Neco result upgrading isthrough the help of Mr Richard a Neco officer so if u need help in upgrading u Neco result or you are having any other problem you can call him on 09094741463Neco result is out and I just upgraded some of my subject through the help of Mr Richard a neco officer,cause I have already gained an admission and my Waec result was withheld ,I couldn't wait for my Waec result to b released cause I don't no how long it will take so I decided to wait for my Neco result to my supprise I failed some of the subject I needed most so I decided to look for help and a friend gave me Mr Richards number and I told him my problem and he helped me upgraded the subjects ,all thanks to Mr Richard my Neco result was upgraded .Neco result upgrading isthrough the help of Mr Richard a Neco officer so if u need help in upgrading u Neco result or you are having any other problem you can call him on 09094741463Neco result is out and I just upgraded some of my subject through the help of Mr Richard a neco officer,cause I have already gained an admission and my Waec result was withheld ,I couldn't wait for my Waec result to b released cause I don't no how long it will take so I decided to wait for my Neco result to my supprise I failed some of the subject I needed most so I decided to look for help and a friend gave me Mr Richards number and I told him my problem and he helped me upgraded the subjects ,all thanks to Mr Richard my Neco result was upgraded .Neco result upgrading isthrough the help of Mr Richard a Neco officer so if u need help in upgrading u Neco result or you are having any other problem you can call him on 09094741463

(1) (Reply)

All 2016 Postgraduate Aspirant Thread / Most Lucrative Courses In Nigeria: No. 10 Will Shock You!! / This Is For Those Who Wrote WAEC Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.