Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,515 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden (16045 Views)

Dear Employers/hrs, Kindly Balance Your Background Checks / What Really Motivates You At Work? / Dear Employers, Get In Here, This Will Interest You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 9:48am On Oct 30, 2017
I couldn’t contain it again, so I decided to write about it. If you have ever been in such a position, please contribute using the comment section.

I was at an interview some days ago – I hope my present boss doesn’t read this, and a scene played out. It was the second stage of the interview, and I was faced with the MD of the company.

The good-looking old man engaged me in some meaningful discussion, and I clearly stated to him how I intended to improve the revenue of the company with the strategies I would bring in as I resume.

Then came the question “What is your motivation”

I have read several job interview books that are so fantastic and has helped me to ace several job interviews. The questions and answers in it are so great and give you a direction on how to ace your interview. (you can just download it here for free)

But…

What this a time to pretend and respond with crammed answers like

“Climbing up the career ladder? Working in a company that has focus and meets my objectives? Working together with result oriented workers to move any organization I find myself forward?”

All the above answers are wonderful, but can it pay my bills? Would it be able to buy me the car I dreamed of? Would it be able to help me save and establish my own firm in the future?

I quickly responded by saying “Money is my motivation Sir”

He was so shocked that his facial expression gave him away. Did I become scared and swallowed my words? Hell No!

I told him “if you want me to perform more than I will do if hired, always increase my salary and incentives.” He was shocked as well as bemused.

“Why should money motivate you?” He asked me.

The same way he values the profit of his organization, that is the same way I value the money paid for my services. We are in Nigeria, and it is time to be real. If you don’t want money to be my motivation, what else should motivate me to take up the insults, stress, and pressure that would come my way if I end up working for you?

Did I finally get the Job, NOP! We had an inconclusive argument after we began negotiating, and I thanked him and left.

I am not proud, I just know what I am worth. If you can’t pay me for what I am worth, you can call the employee next door. I know that “there are no jobs in Nigeria” – or so they say, but I can never go below what I am worth.

I am a part-time blogger, and I know that what motivates me to keep awake all night creating contents – even though it’s my personal business; so why should I pretend money isn’t my motivation in someone else’ business?

Just to all those who would think I am blabbing, here is a quote of what my present boss told me;

“Hello Mike, my relationship with you is still smooth because you are still bringing value to the company. The day you stop bringing value, then our relationship will seize”

The question is, “since I am bringing in value, why shouldn’t I charge a premium for any value I am bringing to the table?”

We all should take a cue from footballers in the 21st century. We have seen a lot of them getting motivation in monetary terms, so why shouldn’t I also be motivated likewise? Or am I not a human too?

A friend asked me to calm down with this my ideology, and I replied him thus;

“If Money motivates footballers who play for the love of playing, why shouldn’t it motivate me who works just to survive the harsh economy?”

Anyone who asks you never to allow money motivates you, see that person as who doesn’t want your progress.

If you think I am lying, why is Neymar the Brazilian star at PSG FC?

“Who wouldn’t follow his/her hear with such an amount?”

#whatmotivatesyou #Knowyourworth

cc: lalasticlala

source: http://topwritersden.com/should-money-motivate-you-at-work/

71 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by kunlesufyan(m): 9:49am On Oct 30, 2017
True that!
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 9:53am On Oct 30, 2017
Smiles...
kunlesufyan:
True that!

You get the drill

1 Like

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Vyktorr: 11:18am On Oct 30, 2017
God bless you
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Vyktorr: 11:22am On Oct 30, 2017
....But remember to have one job already before saying such,someone looking for a job like me can't try it yet

13 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by kennynelcon(m): 1:10pm On Oct 30, 2017
Money is the root of all evil

2 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by nairavsdollars(f): 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
money should always be the first motivation. I went to school so i can get a good job and live a good life. other things are secondary.How many people can accept the job without pay?

12 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by chloride6: 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
Would you rather earn a lot of money in a redundant position or be comfortable in a challenging position.

Money doesn't motivate all of US.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
Money doesnt motivate lack of money demotivates. Ur a leaner op. Take a look at these 2 pple. Both accountants. One gets a job in an oil coy as a treasurer collecting 500k per annum. The oda in an audit firm collecting 100k does acca and other courses. In 7 years time. Mr treasurer is still a treasurer but the oda guy is now a manager. So if a position is available in d oil coy for manager or cfo. Who dem go give. Money only motivates when u receive first salary.

12 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by asawanathegreat(m): 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
We don hear d story
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by SNIPER123: 1:12pm On Oct 30, 2017
Yes, you have a point but there are better ways of saying money is what motivate you.
Guy you need to change your view of money.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by obajoey(m): 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2017
Money Money Money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Ezionye(f): 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2017
True. But if you dint have a job already, I doubt you would have said that. There are many other factors to consider before such truths are said

5 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by ENG1110: 1:15pm On Oct 30, 2017
Its not always money, I turned down an offer with money pay, because my current jobs offers me more free time, and right now, i need that time for other things.

I have also taken a lower paying job before, to move to another company with a higher position. That position gave me the opportunity to be at my new place, heading a department in a multinational.

So, it is not always about money.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by apharm(m): 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2017
money money money!! is my motivation. I have a passion for any job provided I'm paid well

1 Like

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2017
Not everyone is motivated by money.

1 Like

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Seunaj05(m): 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to say making money for the organization. If they'll be glad to hear that.
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Oludon20: 1:31pm On Oct 30, 2017
Job security is my motivation but the Pepe cannot be left out anyway
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2017
yeyerolling:
Money doesnt motivate lack of money demotivates. Ur a leaner op. Take a look at these 2 pple. Both accountants. One gets a job in an oil coy as a treasurer collecting 500k per annum. The oda in an audit firm collecting 100k does acca and other courses. In 7 years time. Mr treasurer is still a treasurer but the oda guy is now a manager. So if a position is available in d oil coy for manager or cfo. Who dem go give. Money only motivates when u receive first salary.
do you wish to remain an employee all your life. Make you money and cash out. Make money invest ad build your business. Forget cfo. Do you know how many people will be up for cod position?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 30, 2017
Oludn20:
Job security is my motivation but the Pepe cannot be left out anyway
there is nothing like job security but financial security

6 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by bjcuntis(m): 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2017
Op I fucking love u!!!

2 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Tomchiz: 1:40pm On Oct 30, 2017
True word my bro. I recall when was with one international firm and was been owed 1 month salary of 100k, my moral was down customer staff relationship was gone my eyes was always red. Immediately I got alert, motivation was restored. so cash is the motivation we need .

9 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by WaffenSS(m): 1:41pm On Oct 30, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
I couldn’t contain it again, so I decided to write about it. If you have ever been in such a position, please contribute using the comment section.

I was at an interview some days ago – I hope my present boss doesn’t read this, and a scene played out. It was the second stage of the interview, and I was faced with the MD of the company.

The good-looking old man engaged me in some meaningful discussion, and I clearly stated to him how I intended to improve the revenue of the company with the strategies I would bring in as I resume.

Then came the question “What is your motivation”

I have read several job interview books that are so fantastic and has helped me to ace several job interviews. The questions and answers in it are so great and give you a direction on how to ace your interview. (you can just download it here for free)

But…

What this a time to pretend and respond with crammed answers like

“Climbing up the career ladder? Working in a company that has focus and meets my objectives? Working together with result oriented workers to move any organization I find myself forward?”

All the above answers are wonderful, but can it pay my bills? Would it be able to buy me the car I dreamed of? Would it be able to help me save and establish my own firm in the future?

I quickly responded by saying “Money is my motivation Sir”

He was so shocked that his facial expression gave him away. Did I become scared and swallowed my words? Hell No!

I told him “if you want me to perform more than I will do if hired, always increase my salary and incentives.” He was shocked as well as bemused.

“Why should money motivate you?” He asked me.

The same way he values the profit of his organization, that is the same way I value the money paid for my services. We are in Nigeria, and it is time to be real. If you don’t want money to be my motivation, what else should motivate me to take up the insults, stress, and pressure that would come my way if I end up working for you?

Did I finally get the Job, NOP! We had an inconclusive argument after we began negotiating, and I thanked him and left.

I am not proud, I just know what I am worth. If you can’t pay me for what I am worth, you can call the employee next door. I know that “there are no jobs in Nigeria” – or so they say, but I can never go below what I am worth.

I am a part-time blogger, and I know that what motivates me to keep awake all night creating contents – even though it’s my personal business; so why should I pretend money isn’t my motivation in someone else’ business?

Just to all those who would think I am blabbing, here is a quote of what my present boss told me;

“Hello Mike, my relationship with you is still smooth because you are still bringing value to the company. The day you stop bringing value, then our relationship will seize”

The question is, “since I am bringing in value, why shouldn’t I charge a premium for any value I am bringing to the table?”

We all should take a cue from footballers in the 21st century. We have seen a lot of them getting motivation in monetary terms, so why shouldn’t I also be motivated likewise? Or am I not a human too?

A friend asked me to calm down with this my ideology, and I replied him thus;

“If Money motivates footballers who play for the love of playing, why shouldn’t it motivate me who works just to survive the harsh economy?”

Anyone who asks you never to allow money motivates you, see that person as who doesn’t want your progress.

If you think I am lying, why is Neymar the Brazilian star at PSG FC?

“Who wouldn’t follow his/her hear with such an amount?”

#whatmotivatesyou #Knowyourworth

cc: lalasticlala

source: http://topwritersden.com/should-money-motivate-you-at-work/

Speak for yourself.

Bankers would disagree.

Job security with lower pay trumps no security and jumbo pay.

In an uncertain environment any paycheck could be your last.

1 Like

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Nymeria247(m): 1:50pm On Oct 30, 2017
I salute your courage in the face of joblessness, hunger and trending mediocrity! In saner climes your sincerity would have gotten you the job real quick but we are in Nigeria where employers prefer stories... I am inspired by the fact that you have placed a value on yourself that you are not willing to compromise.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by BlueRayDick: 1:59pm On Oct 30, 2017
They ask why do you want to change jobs and I start the ''akosori''- I want to further learn ..blah...blah blah- Yet myself and the interviewer knows I need to move up the food chain mahn! I don try na, u don see things wey I achieve within few years on the job, and even certification.

Even If I no talk am, shey him church mind no go tell am say na money the boy dey find!

4 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Folaoni(m): 2:00pm On Oct 30, 2017
OP. I got a job for you with a sum of #750k multinational company along sambisa road.

1 Like

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by africanboy(m): 2:03pm On Oct 30, 2017
For my current job, I was asked the same question. My answer was "two things. give me a challenge and give me money".

4 Likes

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by Talk2Bella(f): 2:14pm On Oct 30, 2017
grin i tell people always challenge your interviewer smartly, can't forget one interview i went for like that dude just kept giving me wrong definitions about stuffs when i couldn't take it anymore i just started correcting him, he looked at me bemused thanked me for coming to the interview and asked the next person to come in cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nigerians by default don't like being told the truth, we answer interview questions well rehearsed like programmed robots, almost all interview questions and answers have the same reply, so when you say something different you look like a traitor grin.

Money is the only motivation when it comes to work, its an input and output kinda thing, give and take but if i tell my interviewer this i won't get the job.

Very rare interviewers can stomach honest interview replies.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 2:15pm On Oct 30, 2017
SNIPER123:
Yes, you have a point but there are better ways of saying money is what motivate you.
Guy you need to change your view of money.

Leave point of view jare. Na money sure pass!! wink
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
Folaoni:
OP. I got a job for you with a sum of #750k multinational company along sambisa road.

cheesy cheesy... Gimme address na embarassed

Let me resume ASAP
Re: Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden by ladyF(f): 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2017
So that means if the business gets tough later, you'd run and leave them because the money isn't coming in like before?

Put yourself in the employer's shoes, someone is only coming to work for you because of the salary he is earning, that's his own greatest motivation. Would you employ him or nor? grin

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews / Dear Verified N-build Applicant, Kindly Follow Instructions Below. / More Writers Are Needed For Long-term Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.