Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. (14434 Views)

Coronavirus: Scarcity Of Protective Tools Hits Lagos Hospitals / A Nigerian Family Of Doctors Based In The US (Photos) / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by armadeo(m): 7:39am On Oct 31, 2017
By Chioma Obinna & Gabriel Olawale LAGOS—TOUGH times await patients seeking healthcare services in Lagos state-owned hospitals as medical doctors under the employment of the government yesterday gave notice of possible mass exit due to what they called the administration’s insensitivity to their plight. doctors Findings by Vanguard showed that about 810 doctors have left the service within two years. In Ikorodu General Hospital alone, about 30 have left in the last one year.

The story is not different in other health facilities across the state. The doctors under the auspices of Medical Guild claimed that most of them have been stagnated and denied promotion for over 13 years and counting. They also alleged that the state government has refused to implement what they described as the “readjusted Consolidated Medical Salary Scale,’’ CONMESS, for Medical and Dental Practitioners agreed on in 2014.

The Guild raised concern that the development in the state service has also resulted in brain drain. According to them, the situation is so bad that even the newly employed doctors who are supposed to make up for the shortage in the system, leave almost immediately.

Confirming the situation to Vanguard in a telephone chat in Lagos, the Chairman of the Medical Guild, Dr. Saliu Oseni said even in the hospital where he practises, Ikorodu, not fewer than 30 doctors have left since this year, aside from those who retired from the service. “There is shortage of medical doctors in the state. The bad situation whereby a doctor sees over 80 patients per clinic, will be worsened by continuous exit due to lack of promotion.”

Grievances: Oseni listed the grievances to include; discouragement from further training, through non promotion of those who proceed on such. “Stagnation, demotion and loss of seniority in service are usually visited on those who go for further training,’’ he added. “We have an officer that joined the service in 1996 and he is going to retire next year on level 14, that means, he has only enjoyed two promotions since he joined the service while his contemporaries are on salary grade level 17 for four years now. We looked through the rules and realised that they say that these people should enjoy their promotions while in training but the system just decided to deprive them of that benefit. “Currently we have more than 32 doctors that are directly affected by this inhuman action, if government continue to discourage doctors from acquiring knowledge someone can imagine the implication on the patients.”

Non implementation of adjusted CONMESS Oseni further explained that the situation is made worse by government’s refusal to implement agreed Consolidated Medical Salary Scale for Medical and Dental practitioners which was formulated in 2014. According to him, the correction in salary was made due to certain anomalies in respect to relativity between salaries of doctors and other health workers. “But in Lagos today, the basic salary of other health workers and that of the doctors are the same.

Meanwhile, it was in the ratio of 4 to 2 to 1 that is 4 for doctors 2 to pharmacists and 1 for nurses but they negotiated down to 3-2-1, 3 to doctors 2 to pharmacists and 1 to nurses.” “The relativity currently in the scale now gave the doctors and other health workers the same basic salary and that has been corrected by the adjusted CONMESS circular but Lagos has refused to implement it for doctors.” Demands “All we want is to be paid the way they are paying other doctors in Nigeria; all what is listed for other doctor in Nigeria should also be given to us as in the adjusted CONMESS circular. Officers who go on training should be given their due promotions, rights and should equally be given their appropriate position when they return to service,” he added.

Efforts to reach the State Commissioner for Health proved abortive as several calls put to his telephone line were not picked. When contacted, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Steve Ayorinde said he will react at the appropriate time. “I cannot comment at the moment, let me cross check some of the issues they raised and we are going to make our position known.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/mass-exit-doctors-looms-lagos-hospitals/

Cc lalasticlala,mynd44, Dominique, sissy3

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by AishaBuhari: 7:40am On Oct 31, 2017
The damage this administration has caused!!!

What do you expect when the State House Clinic barely has nothing in it, is it the public that would have?... This administration is just playing a deaf hear...

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by armadeo(m): 7:42am On Oct 31, 2017
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by AishaBuhari: 7:45am On Oct 31, 2017
armadeo:
Na me you want take find work this morning bah!? undecided
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by kay29000(m): 7:50am On Oct 31, 2017
Yea, after gaining experience at government Hospitals, private hospital owners snag them up fast. But government hospitals really need to work on being more structured.

1 Like

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by jbreezy: 7:50am On Oct 31, 2017
Chai...diz morin konji bad ooh...c hw my tin jst stand, e no evej gree com down at all...i jst dey nack my bed...if to sey na woman i dey nack lyk diz, she for don dey LUTH

1 Like

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by nony43(m): 7:51am On Oct 31, 2017
D
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Bossontop(m): 7:51am On Oct 31, 2017
undecided undecided angry angry
Im starting to believe d witness in dis pic

4 Likes

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Titto93(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
Na APC state naaa... I'm not surprised
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by lollmaolol(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
All the MBBS graduate I know personally have left the country. So this news is actually not new.

Until we learn to treat employees as human being with commensurate salary; regular training and retraining; good medical equipment and facilities; before our doctors can decide if they will stay back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Mc23(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
Too bad
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by overhypedsteve(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
Lols doctors, who need them?
Ouch my belle!!! Doctor!!! Doctor!!!
Please call me the doctor, my belle is pain me much much.

1 Like

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Paperwhite(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
Too bad.Nothing actually work in Nigeria but the Buhari government have worsened matter.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by SirHouloo(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2017
Mass exit from Nigeria has started self.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 31, 2017
AishaBuhari:
The damage this administration has caused!!!

What do you expect when the State House Clinic barely has nothing in it, is it the public that would have?... This administration is just playing a deaf hear...

Article you no read

Problem goes back long before Bubu took over.

The main issue is funding of hospitals, and promotion of deserving staff.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by kingandamy4life(m): 7:53am On Oct 31, 2017
what is even working in this country...please in punch newspaper page 18 precisely the head of service said buhari is aware of mina reinstatment but am not seeing that news here. hmmmm i hope they have politicised the news. please let it made headline biko

1 Like

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by victorazyvictor(m): 7:53am On Oct 31, 2017
Travel abroad go and better Your lives, Nigeria is not a country yet

2 Likes

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 31, 2017
I did not read the news but I think the father is the cause of the problem. since the daughter got pregnanted by the Landlord, the father should either abort the pregnancy and move on but if not, the father should try and pregnant the landlord wife too or make Amala for the landlord to eat and die.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 31, 2017
We have crude oil for sale in large and moderate quantities....

Are you a dealer or a company contact us @

Dami.ojo@yahoo
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by semonite(m): 7:55am On Oct 31, 2017
Bossontop:
undecided undecided angry angry
Im starting to believe d witness in dis pic
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 31, 2017
kkko:
I did not read the news but I think the father is the cause of the problem. since the daughter got pregnanted by the Landlord, the father should either abort the pregnancy and move on but if not, the father should try and pregnant the landlord wife too or make Amala for the landlord to eat and die.

Looks like Bacchus and Silenus have made away with this one's cranial matter

3 Likes

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by moonraker(m): 7:55am On Oct 31, 2017
Something as important as hospital?? Nigeria is definitely finished...
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 31, 2017
Damiriel:
We have crude oil for sale in large and moderate quantities....

Are you a dealer or a company contact us @

Dami.ojo@yahoo

And it is on Nairaland you will advertise it?

Smh

3 Likes

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Looks like Bacchus and Silenus have made away with this one's cranial matter

Did I mention the mother? the mother is not aware, she travelled to calabar grin[quote author=9jakohai post=61930669]
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by ATIKUisCOOL(m): 7:56am On Oct 31, 2017
Dearths of our finest to obodo oyinbo is worrisome.
Neglect of the health sector is not exclusive to Lagos alone but every state. Even aso clinic is not spared.
That's why we need ATIKU 2019 to change the status quo.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by stano2(m): 7:57am On Oct 31, 2017
kkko:
STALE

1 Like

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 31, 2017
kkko:

Did I mention the mother? the mother is not aware, she travelled to calabar

My Lady Diana and Aphrodite cannot help this one.
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by RZArecta(m): 7:57am On Oct 31, 2017
Centre of excellence cool
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 31, 2017
ATIKUisCOOL:
Dearths of our finest to obodo oyinbo is worrisome.
Neglect of the health sector is not exclusive to Lagos alone but every state. Even aso clinic is not spared.
That's why we need ATIKU 2019 to change the status quo.

Hope you will agree when atiku decides to raise health fees to fund hospitals adequately
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by lollmaolol(m): 7:58am On Oct 31, 2017
jbreezy:
Chai...diz morin konji bad ooh...c hw my tin jst stand, e no evej gree com down at all...i jst dey nack my bed...if to sey na woman i dey nack lyk diz, she for don dey LUTH

You need a doctor my friend!

2 Likes

Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by jbreezy: 8:00am On Oct 31, 2017
lollmaolol:

You need a doctor my friend!
yu mean a female doctor??
Re: Mass Exit Of Doctors Looms In Lagos Hospitals. by melejo(m): 8:01am On Oct 31, 2017
Ambode goan beg them

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Cyprone Really A Food Supplement? / Bitter Kola Highly Medicinal / How i lost incredible 10kg With Nigerian Delicacies-part1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.