Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State (9873 Views)

5 Governors That Deserve A Second Term In 2019 / Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Stop Fighting Obiano, Monarch Tells Ex-gov Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Onlytruth(m): 2:42am On Mar 18, 2010
[size=14pt] Anambra: Obi, Sibeudu sworn in as gov, deputy[/size]

All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) candidate, Mr Peter Obi and his running mate, Engr. Emeka Sibeudu, in the February 6 gubernatorial election conducted in Anambra State, were yesterday sworn in as governor and deputy governor respectively by Justice Paul Obidigwe, Chief Judge of Anambra State, at a crowded ceremony organised at the Dr. Alex Ekwueme Square, Awka.

Obi was declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) after the February 6, gubernatorial election, having polled a total of 97,843 votes as against Action Congress, Dr. Chris Ngige’s 60,240 votes, which put him at a distant second position. A total of 1.8 million voters were registered by INEC for the election.

In his goodwill message at the inauguration ceremony, Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan, said that he was happy to be part of the unique and historic occasion which was the outcome of a remarkable electioneering process in the annals of the country’s democratic process.
“I wish to most heartily congratulate Your Excellency for this remarkable victory at the polls and commend your abiding faith in our constitutional democracy.
“It is our fervent prayer that the Almighty God will continue to sustain the peace and progress that has characterised governance in Anambra State under your charge,” Jonathan said.

The acting president, who was represented at the occasion by the Governor of Abia State, Chief Theodore Orji said he was delighted to have been invited to the occasion just as he wished Obi well as he began his second term in office.
Also speaking, the Senate President, David Mark, noted that the peaceful manner in which the Anambra election was conducted was commendable, saying that the exercise was a good signal that the next general elections in 2011 would turn out to be even more transparent, peaceful and efficient.
“Your re-election justified the confidence of the people of Anambra State in you; this, no doubt, was based on your astute performance and commitment to the upliftment of the basic welfare of the entire people during your first tenure,” he said.

Mark, who was represented at the occasion by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Education, Senator Joy Emordi, advised Obi to keep up the good work he was doing in the state, saying that this was important in order to advance and consolidate on the successful record of his performance.
He urged him to continue to operate an inclusive mandate that would take cognisance of the views and expectations of all stakeholders.
Mark added that he was certain that Obi would work even harder to break new grounds in the interest of all Anambrarians, their happiness and overall development.

Governor Obi, in his inaugural speech after the swearing-in ceremony, thanked the people of Anambra State for the great trust, overwhelming support and solidarity they gave to him at the polls, hoping that they would remain available as they continue in the great task of building the state.
“My dear Ndi Anambra, today belongs to all of us. Today, with my swearing-in as the first governor produced through a staggered election, history has been made in Nigeria. This, in truth, is one of the ingredients of true federalism. Today’s celebration is memorable because, contrary to the predictions of pessimists that the February 6 election would be marred by a break-down of law and order, it ended up very peacefully, for which we remain thankful to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the security agencies, bodies and observer-groups that contributed in various ways to the success of the election.

“The election has, therefore, confirmed our abilities, in spite of all shortcomings, to do things in a civilized and peaceful way. This sacrifice by the people of Anambra State in ensuring a peaceful and exemplary election has proved that we are, indeed, the light of the nation.”
Obi reminded the people that the journey of his administration, right from his first tenure till now had been historic and chequered.
His words: “It was one mingled with hope and despair. When you recall our three years of legal battles in the courts, the impeachment saga and attempted tenure abridgement, which eventually led to the Supreme Court of Nigeria’s interpretation of the tenure of the governor, you will appreciate the trials we passed through. God, in His Infinite mercy, through the judiciary, has always seen us through.
“Notwithstanding the above constraints, we began the simultaneous rebuilding of all sectors of the state’s economy with the vision of achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by the year 2015, working through our delivery strategy of Anambra Integrated Development Strategy (ANIDS). As we look back today, there is no sector or community in the state that has not benefited from this government in one area of development or another, be it in the area of healthcare delivery or education or urban development or control of erosion or reconstruction of roads or sports, among others.”

The governor pointed out that looking around the state shows that challenges still abound which made him to add that in “this second tenure, the journey will be tough.”
He, however, assured them that “while we may not solve all the problems overnight or achieve 100 per cent result, we shall continue to put in 100 per cent effort,” adding that they would continue to lead a government that is accountable to all.

Hear him: “We shall continue to manage the resources of the state judiciously, laying a foundation that would make successive governments less encumbered in the business of moving the state forward. Our state shall once again assume a position of importance in its contributions to the building of our country, to the benefit of our children.”
He, therefore, invited all those that contested against him in the election to unclench their fists of contest and join hands with him to restore the state to its pride of place.

Obi thanked his former deputy, Dame Virgy Etiaba, for her services to the state, wishing her well in her future undertakings, saying that she was still part of the government and the APGA family.

Dignitaries who attended the inauguration included Governor Theodore of Abia State, deputy governor of Imo State, Chief Mrs. Ada Okwuonu, deputy governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sunday Onyebuchi, deputy governor of Kaduna State, Mr. Patrick Yakuwa, Speaker of Enugu State House of Assembly, Hon. Eugene Odoh, Speaker of Anambra State House of Assembly, Chief Anayo Nnebe, immediate past deputy governor of Anambra State, Dame Virgy Etiaba, first executive governor of Anambra State, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Senator Joy Emordi, House of Representatives members, Ralph Okeke, Chu-Chu Onyema, Dozie Agbakoba, Hon. Okey Udeh, former Information Minister, Chief John Nnia Nwodo Jnr., former Minister of Communication, Air Vice Marshal (rtd) Cannice Umenwalili, former Minister of Health, Dr Tim Menakaya, National Leader of APGA, Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu and his wife, Bianca, National Chairman of APGA, Chief Victor Umeh, Intercontinental Bank Chairman, Chief Raymond Ohiaeri, former Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Prince Chinedu Emeka, PDP National Vice Chairman (South-East) Chief Olisa Metuh.
Others were former State Chairmen of PDP, Uche Emordi and Tony Nwoye, former member House of Representatives, Chuma Nzeribe, former Vice Chancellor of UNN, Prof. Ginikanwa Mbanefo, ADC candidate in the last Anambra election, Chief Okey Nwosu, Chairman Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council and Obi of Onitsha, Chief Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, and Obi Gibson Nwosu, Traditional Ruler of Awka, among several others.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/mar/18/national-18-03-2010-003.htm

Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Onlytruth(m): 2:45am On Mar 18, 2010
The end of an era in my home state. Wishing the Governor Gods grace and protection.

[size=16pt]It's full steam ahead![/size]
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Onlytruth(m): 3:03am On Mar 18, 2010
The attending dignitaries:

Dignitaries who attended the inauguration included Governor Theodore of Abia State, deputy governor of Imo State, Chief Mrs. Ada Okwuonu, deputy governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sunday Onyebuchi, deputy governor of Kaduna State, Mr. Patrick Yakuwa, Speaker of Enugu State House of Assembly, Hon. Eugene Odoh, Speaker of Anambra State House of Assembly, Chief Anayo Nnebe, immediate past deputy governor of Anambra State, Dame Virgy Etiaba, first executive governor of Anambra State, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Senator Joy Emordi, House of Representatives members, Ralph Okeke, Chu-Chu Onyema, Dozie Agbakoba, Hon. Okey Udeh, former Information Minister, Chief John Nnia Nwodo Jnr., former Minister of Communication, Air Vice Marshal (rtd) Cannice Umenwalili, former Minister of Health, Dr Tim Menakaya, National Leader of APGA, Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu and his wife, Bianca, National Chairman of APGA, Chief Victor Umeh, Intercontinental Bank Chairman, Chief Raymond Ohiaeri, former Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Prince Chinedu Emeka, PDP National Vice Chairman (South-East) Chief Olisa Metuh.
Others were former State Chairmen of PDP, Uche Emordi and Tony Nwoye, former member House of Representatives, Chuma Nzeribe, former Vice Chancellor of UNN, Prof. Ginikanwa Mbanefo, ADC candidate in the last Anambra election, Chief Okey Nwosu, Chairman Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council and Obi of Onitsha, Chief Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, and Obi Gibson Nwosu, Traditional Ruler of Awka, among several others.

This is a cross section of Anambra citizens irrespective of party affiliations and leanings. Anambra is back!
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Emperoh(m): 8:47am On Mar 18, 2010
I couldn't be any happier. . . . . after rain comes shine. . .we have survived the Shenanigans of the enemies
We hope Mr. Obi will take the challenges ahead in his stride and develop the state further cos there is still a whole lot to do.

I am a Proud Anambrarian!!!
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by cantell(m): 9:33am On Mar 18, 2010
Congratulating him for rigging the election? The Guy's a B-astard! I hope the rot-gut way he got it poisons him
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by metalgong5(m): 11:02am On Mar 18, 2010
cantell:

Congratulating him for rigging the election? The Guy's a B-astard! I hope the rot-gut way he got it poisons him

You are an slowpoke!! . . . . Onye ajo afo.

@post

It was a victory and ceremony well deserved. Congrats to Okwute, the citizen governor.
I'm really happy for my state . . . . The days of "wild-wild west Awka "are gone.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by newdeal(m): 12:17pm On Mar 18, 2010
A very big congratulation to this unique politician called Peter Obi,
pray he maintains his focus, that way, it will be well with Anambra
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by franctony(m): 1:01pm On Mar 18, 2010
congrats jinx breaker
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by bike1: 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2010
Cantell, that waz rude. If u say the chap rigged , wat did the rest do? Wat u shud pray for is a better election next time. I beleive tins will get better, at least it was better than d previuos and with time election manupulations will be a tin of the past. So far so gud, he has done his best.
My advice is dat he shud be more active, fast and more focussed etc toward dev of the state. He can do better esp areas of improving basic ammenities.
Lets all support him.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by mansmith(m): 1:27pm On Mar 18, 2010
try your best Sir.but in Nigeria,the best of politicians is always their worst.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by adigun101: 1:32pm On Mar 18, 2010
Congrats to Obi.

But I dont see why his joy should be that of the masses.

He hasn't made any notable change in four years.

Not even one legacy.

If Lagos can produce Fashola and this is the best the south-east can produce then it would be in the interest of Nigeria if Igbos do not come near Aso rock come 2015

I think the south-south are more ready.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by asha80(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2010
adigun101:

Congrats to Obi.

Not even one legacy.

If Lagos can produce Fashola and this is the best the south-east can produce then it would be in the interest of Nigeria if Igbos do not come near Aso rock come 2015

My friend go and sit down with ur inciting comments.

Did anyone say that obi is the best the south east can produce?

Did anyone say that obi is gunning for president 2015?

South South is more ready with which Governor?

He has not made any notable change or legacy have you asked the anambrarian on the street?

Obasanjo a yoruba was in aso rock and i we all saw the 'good works' he did.

yaradua the fulani is in fact the best nigerian president in history.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by mezie4u(m): 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2010
he deserved it, come to Anambra state and see 4 urself.
He was indeed sent by God
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by otukpo(f): 3:20pm On Mar 18, 2010
Obi shld better act like a man in this his last 4 yrs there.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by mezie4u(m): 3:25pm On Mar 18, 2010
lie!!! big lie!!!!!
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by asha80(m): 3:29pm On Mar 18, 2010
mezie4u:

lie!!! big lie!!!!!

it was a sarcastic comment.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by adigun101: 3:49pm On Mar 18, 2010
mezie4u:

he deserved it, come to Anambra state and see 4 urself.
He was indeed sent by God
Yes, ofcourse, You are well known for mediocrity. List the projects or programmes, show me pics if you dont have any of the two.

can you compare him to Udaghan, Donald Duke, Oshiomole, Amaechi etc South - South throunces South - East big time.

And with the likes of Obi calibre in the SE, I call on my Igbo brothers to support a south-south canditdate for the presidency come 2015. wink
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by SkyBlue1: 4:02pm On Mar 18, 2010
adigun101:

Congrats to Obi.

Not even one legacy.

A very retrogressive, embarassing and childish statement to make. All Nigerians should be able to contest for election. Turn by turn presidency is not enshrined in the constitution.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by adigun101: 4:09pm On Mar 18, 2010
Sky Blue:

A very retrogressive, embarassing and childish statement to make. All Nigerians should be able to contest for election. Turn by turn presidency is not enshrined in the constitution.
I was just trying to highlight that the present quality of leadership in the SE is very poor compared to other geo-political regions.

That is not to say it has always been like that or will it continue that way.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Onlytruth(m): 4:13pm On Mar 18, 2010
adigun101:

Yes, ofcourse, You are well known for mediocrity. List the projects or programmes, show me pics if you dont have any of the two.

can you compare him to Udaghan, Donald Duke, Oshiomole, Amaechi etc South - South throunces South - East big time.

And with the likes of Obi calibre in the SE, I call on my Igbo brothers to support a south-south canditdate for the presidency come 2015. wink

I think you miss the point of this event. Did you take a look at the dignitaries that attended? They cut across party lines. The outgoing deputy governor had only praises and good things to say about this governor and the state. PDP governors of the south east have all identified with his popular victory too, even the known thugs among them. Anambra state is making a statement - a very powerful statement indeed. We are saying that we are THE LIGHT OF THE NATION. Nothing more.

In a free and fair elections next year, I suspect that the same thing will replicate in the whole of south east, thanks to  Bro Jona in Aso rock. We are celebrating the end of the Obasanjo brigand politics.
This is the next statement.

Aso rock is not more important than the control of our lives. I have always maintained that Nigeria needs the Igbo more than the Igbo needs Nigerian presidency.

In 2015 let the best candidate from south east or south south win!
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 18, 2010
I honestly don't know why some think Awka Government House is some unique route to the Presidency

In which as Anambra chose Obi then he is the best National leader of SouthEast extraction.

To be honest, it is my hope that SouthEast leaders will pay more attention to what happens in the SouthEast and how to better the lives of our people locally.

There are still poor people in Otta, there are still poor people in the Yar'adua village, and there are still poor people in what ever villages produced IBB and Abdussalam in Niger. So whats the special benefit of producing the President.

I think some should keep their childish Presidential politics to themselves. We in the SouthEast have a lot better things to worry about.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by asha80(m): 4:23pm On Mar 18, 2010
adigun101:

I was just trying to highlight that the present quality of leadership in the SE is very poor compared to other geo-political regions.

Apart from lagos what else is happening in the SW?

You listed Oshiomole,what is he doing in edo state?back it up with pictures.

I hope when Chibuike Amechi vies for presidency you will not be the first to say is igbo(because of the name) and therefore he is 'unqualified' since you interchange SE and igbo in ur argurement.

Uduaghan is just chopping money with his godfather ibori.

So you have been to the NE and NW to know that the SE is behind them
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 18, 2010
The best Governor in the South East is not making a lot of noise

Sullivan Chime of Enugu State is doing a great job.

Yet I don't think anybody thinks he is the best leader of Igbo extraction.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by SkyBlue1: 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2010
adigun101:

Is there some kind of law I am ignorant of which states that only ex governors can become president? Apologies, but your former statement seems to showcase a mentality which should be expunged from the Nigerian populace if true unity and progress is to be achieved. Why on earth did you bring up 2015? So certain parts of the Nigerian populace should not be allowed to contest for the presidency in 2011? Why? Is it in the constitution?
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by akwaowoudo(m): 5:10pm On Mar 18, 2010
Gov. Peter Obi is now sworn in for another looting. Looting is sweeter when you renew mandate. Happy looting Sir!
Which bank Sir?
Consider it done Sir!
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by metalgong5(m): 5:11pm On Mar 18, 2010
mikeansy:

The best Governor in the South East is not making a lot of noise

[b]Sullivan Chime of Enugu State is doing a great job.[/b]Yet I don't think anybody thinks he is the best leader of Igbo extraction.

Peter Obi remains the best governor in the South East. His blooming popularity is because of his performance in government.
If Peter was a noise maker,he couldnt have defeated your preferred candidate SOLUDO. . . . By electing Peter Obi for a second term, Anambrarians made a strong statement to all detractors and blackmaillers of OKWUTE.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by SkyBlue1: 5:14pm On Mar 18, 2010
metal-gong:

Peter Obi remains the best governor in the South East. His blooming popularity is because of his performance in government.
If Peter was a noise maker,he couldnt have defeated your preferred candidate SOLUDO. . . . By electing Peter Obi for a second term, Anambrarians made a strong statement to all detractors and blackmaillers of OKWUTE.

Because he won means he was the best candidate? And the Ojukwu card had nothing to do with it? What are Peter Obi's achievements? Solid achievements please. . . . .
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Mar 18, 2010
WOW!!! I see some of those DO OR DIE Soludo men are quickly switching over to congratulate Peter Obi, Mr Almighty VIPit toilet. LOL Nigerians and Amnesia!!! Lol
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by asha80(m): 5:24pm On Mar 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WOW!!! I see some of those DO OR DIE Soludo men are quickly switching over to congratulate Peter Obi, Mr Almighty VIPit toilet. LOL Nigerians and Amnesia!!! Lol

Where u dey since?
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 18, 2010
I don't understand how anybody will conclude that because a candidate was voted in one state then he has better records than every other state Governor in South East?

Everybody knows that what won Obi this election is not his records in office but cynical electoral tactics. he did not even run on his records of achievement.
But I don't want to go there because elections are over and its time to move on.

But what I wont accept is the conclusion that because Peter Obi was elected in Anambra then he is the best Governor in SouthEast.
I don't understand the premise of that logic.
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by metalgong5(m): 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2010
Sky Blue:

Because he won means he was the best candidate? And the Ojukwu card had nothing to do with it? What are Peter Obi's achievements? Solid achievements please. . . . .
Yes, Peter Obi won decisively because he was the best.
But sorry for disappointing by not listing Peter Obi's achievements for you to see on nairaland. This was how hack writers like you on this forum were asking silly questions about the governor before the election. But to their chagrin, Anambrarians told them that they cant fall for cheap blackmails.
If you want to know OKWUTE's solid achievements, then go down to Anambra state and see things for yourself. Also ask the average Anambrarians in the markets, schools etc, all they would tell you is that  "Obi is the best in Nigeria".
Re: Gov Peter Obi Sworn In For Second Term In Awka Anambra State by Onlytruth(m): 5:48pm On Mar 18, 2010
mikeansy:

I don't understand how anybody will conclude that because a candidate was voted in one state then he has better records than every other state Governor in South East?

Everybody knows that what won Obi this election is not his records in office but cynical electoral tactics. he did not even run on his records of achievement.
But I don't want to go there because elections are over and its time to move on.

But what I wont accept is the conclusion that because Peter Obi was elected in Anambra then he is the best Governor in SouthEast.
I don't understand the premise of that logic.

I concur. The person that first made that remark (adigun101) was being mischievous, trying to sow discord between South east and south south. It came from virtually no where. He was jealous of what we are celebrating- which is politics of peace and unity, instead of politics of do or die, assassinations, militants and war. This is the real thing to celebrate, not any governor.

No Nigerian state can celebrate development yet because we still don't have some basic things: security, electricity and peace. In Anambra, we have started well with peace, other things will follow soon. Based on that I can say that if states are allowed to have their own police and electric companies that Anambra will do well. A peaceful and civilized state can achieve anything.

In his inaugural speech, Obi said he was laying foundation for the next governor. Foundation of prudence in government. That is all he needs to achieve. Nigeria is deeply rotten and the road ahead is still far. But, with our brand of politics in Anambra state, there is hope. cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Babatunde Fowler Elected President Of Africa Tax Body / Notable Ijaw Scholar's History Book On Bonny Called Out As Fraudulent / Vote For A President That Will Sustain The Legacies Of Buhari – Shettima (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.