Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? (1572 Views)

CNG Cars Are Safer Than Petrol Cars - Gazzuzz / Gazzuzz: Dubious, Insultive And An Arrogant Being / Auto Gurus Pls What Are The Differences Between These Toyota Haice Hummer Bus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Deprofessional(m): 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2017
When climbing a slope, is it normal for a car to roll backwards when the gear is in D (drive) without pressing the trottle and the break?

This question might sound silly. But Please forgive my ignorance and explain.

My thought is with the gear in drive, the car shouldnt roll backwards.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by crisycent: 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2017
You don't climb a slope. grin

1 Like

Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by diportivo: 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2017
bros

to ba fe ki motor gun oke,any oke at that,o ma make sure pe o te epo fun daadaa or else,isale lo ti ma ba ra e

if u leave it in drive,try first law of motion grin

crisycent:

English no get expression like ur mother tongue grin grin
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Deprofessional(m): 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2017
crisycent:

Did my question make any meaning to you? if it did, then information has been passed effectively.

1 Like

Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Deprofessional(m): 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2017
diportivo:
bros

to ba fe ki motor gun oke,any oke at that,o ma make sure pe o te epo fun daadaa or else,isale lo ti ma ba ra e

if u leave it in drive,try first law of motion grin

English no get expression like ur mother tongue grin grin

In simple terms, explain what you wrote up there.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2017
crisycent:
Why not? You could ascend or descend a slope. Climb is a synonym for ascend in this context.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by ozoneymcm: 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2017
Costee:

Why not? You could ascend or descend a slope. Climb is a synonym for ascend in this context.
No. You can't climb a slope. The other side of the slope you can climb is the hill. He passed his message across anyway so there was no reason for crisycent to be mischievous

2 Likes

Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by ozoneymcm: 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
Deprofessional:
When climbing a slope, is it normal for a car to roll backwards when the gear is in D (drive) without pressing the trottle and the break?

I'm not a professional but my opinion is that gravity on the car at that point is stronger than your engine's idle. The situation would surely be different with more engine rev or a hill not too steep

2 Likes

Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
ozoneymcm:

No. You can't climb a slope. The other side of the slope you can climb is the hill. He passed his message across anyway so there was no reason for crisycent to be mischievous
Climbing the slope is common enough phrase.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by crisycent: 8:14pm On Nov 01, 2017
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by crisycent: 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2017
Costee:

You descend a slope not climb. I understood what the op meant, I was just correcting a blunder.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
crisycent:

You descend a slope not climb. I understood what the op meant, I was just correcting a blunder.
No hard feelings really.
How about the phrase "climbing the mountain slopes" so commonly used. A slope is an integral part of a hill or mountain for example.You get to the top of a mountain/hill by climbing its slopes.
Btw, google the phrase.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by nurey(m): 10:15pm On Nov 01, 2017
Deprofessional:

Depends largely on the gradient of the slope and weight of the car.

If the slope is too steep, the car will start rolling back slowly because the forward force of the gear (force acting on the body in a forward motion) isn't enough to overcome the gravity acting on the body along the slope.

1 Like

Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:19am On Nov 02, 2017
Deprofessional:

There are two scenarios to answer your question
1 the car shouldnt slide backwards if your gearbox is not slipping
2 if the car looses traction on all wheels yes the car can role backwads as they wont be traction between the tyres and the road
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by Kashif(m): 6:51am On Nov 02, 2017
A healthy vehicle at idle could roll backwards in drive on a slope, depending on these factors:

Size of engine

Gradient of slope

In-gear ratio - the steeper, the lower the possibility

Weight of vehicle

Torque converter stall speed - there are three speeds.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by FlyboyZee: 7:22am On Nov 02, 2017
crisycent:
So, what do you do to a slope? Chief Grammarian...
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by FlyboyZee: 7:29am On Nov 02, 2017
ozoneymcm:

My friend what do you mean by you can't climb a slope?
Do you know there are 2 sides to a slope? The positive slope (hilly side, where you ascend, go from low to high, hence you climb it) and the negative slope (Lee side, which you descend, from high to low). I don't know where you guys are getting all these your grammar from?

Moreover, one can go up or come down on the same slope, changing the slope to be either positive or negative depending on which way you are headed on the same slope, i.e. either ascend (climb) or descend...
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by FlyboyZee: 7:33am On Nov 02, 2017
crisycent:

See, the definition of climb, Mr. Wole Soyinka...

climb

verb

go or come up a (slope or staircase); ascend.

move with effort, especially into or out of a confined space; clamber.

noun

an ascent, especially of a mountain or hill, by climbing.
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by crisycent: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2017
FlyboyZee:

See, the definition of climb, Mr. Wole Soyinka...

climb

verb

go or come up a (slope or staircase); ascend.

move with effort, especially into or out of a confined space; clamber.

noun

an ascent, especially of a mountain or hill, by climbing.

Check the definition of slope mr.itk
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by diportivo: 8:22am On Nov 02, 2017
una don turn here to GNS101 class

I'm sure op means climbing a hill while the car is idling

that's why he says no acceleration and no braking

to climb,u need power

to power you need to accelerate

this thing no need any grammar or calculation

if u drive a manual its even easier to understand
Re: Gazzuzz/mayor13/cardoctor/other Auto Gurus: Please Is This Normal? by ozoneymcm: 9:14am On Nov 02, 2017
FlyboyZee:

My friend what do you mean by you can't climb a slope?
Do you know there are 2 sides to a slope? The positive slope (hilly side, where you ascend, go from low to high, hence you climb it) and the negative slope (Lee side, which you descend, from high to low). I don't know where you guys are getting all these your grammar from?

Moreover, one can go up or come down on the same slope, changing the slope to be either positive or negative depending on which way you are headed on the same slope, i.e. either ascend (climb) or descend...
Like I posted earlier, he passed his message across and I'm not here to look for errors, I'm here to enlighten and be enlightened. Pls let's focus on the topic

(1) (Reply)

4 Piece Of Mercedes W211 2003-2007 E Class Wheels Needed / Comprehensive Car Insurance From First Bank Insurance / Suggestions Needed Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.