Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija (1231 Views)

Car Hire At Southend Airport With British Car Transfer / 2020 Range Rover @80m Now In Naija 08088525399 / A Car Underwater For 9months, 270days, Can It Work Perfectly Again(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2017
like how can i make it to where it can be used in naija ?
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by Kufie(m): 3:20pm On Nov 01, 2017
Standalone device or you're bringing it in with your Renault?

Modified: Mustn't be a Renault. lol
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 3:22pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kufie:
Standalone device or you're bringing it in with your Renault?

Modified: Mustn't be a Renault. lol
lol nah its standalone.

Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by Kufie(m): 3:28pm On Nov 01, 2017
sukkot:
lol nah its standalone.

Okay. Find out the file format of the system's map data and see if you can get Nigeria's map data installed/running on it. This should be possible if the device can be read from a Windows PC. I've seen the Turkish map data installed on a TomTom device embedded in a Renault fluence imported from the UK.
Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 3:35pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kufie:

Okay. Find out the file format of the system's map data and see if you can get Nigeria's map data installed/running on it. This should be possible if the device can be read from a Windows PC. I've seen the Turkish map data installed on a TomTom device embedded in a Renault fluence imported from the UK.
Good luck
thanks bro. yes it works on windows PC. do i have to uninstall the british one ?

and no i do not have a renault lmao
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by Kufie(m): 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2017
sukkot:
thanks bro. yes it works on windows PC. do i have to uninstall the british one ?

and no i do not have a renault lmao

About uninstalling the British map, I think that should depend on storage space. I really don't know how it works as I've not had a first hand experience. I see a WiFi feature in the picture you showed me. Have you tried connecting the device to a network and doing a search?
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kufie:

About uninstalling the British map, I think that should depend on storage space. I really don't know how it works as I've not had a first hand experience. I see a WiFi feature in the picture you showed me. Have you tried connecting the device to a network and doing a search?
the wifi feature is so that the device can update itself as to the new streets that have been created and new speed cameras that have been installed and street name changes. so it has the wifi feature for that and this prevents you from having to go on the internet to do it manually. so the wifi is not for you to do searches on but for the satnav to get current updates. but yeah i will look into having both the british and nigerian software side by side. hopefully there is enough storage for that
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by Kufie(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2017
sukkot:
the wifi feature is so that the device can update itself as to the new streets that have been created and new speed cameras that have been installed and street name changes. so it has the wifi feature for that and this prevents you from having to go on the internet to do it manually. so the wifi is not for you to do searches on but for the satnav to get current updates. but yeah i will look into having both the british and nigerian software side by side. hopefully there is enough storage for that

Okay, try the manual device-PC procedure. Do a little research on the device and readable file formats (maps in this case) so you'll know exactly what to download. If there's an SD card slot, there's a chance it'll read/run map data like the nav systems on some cars today. Car makers like Toyota that have refused to adopt Apple carplay & Android auto make provisions for map data to be read from SD cards. Nigeria map data via Google maps is somewhere in the range of 550mb-740mb.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2017
Kufie:

Okay, try the manual device-PC procedure. Do a little research on the device and readable file formats (maps in this case) so you'll know exactly what to download. If there's an SD card slot, there's a chance it'll read/run map data like the nav systems on some cars today. Car makers like Toyota that have refused to adopt Apple carplay & Android auto make provisions for map data to be read from SD cards. Nigeria map data via Google maps is somewhere in the range of 550mb-740mb.
thanks a bunches bro. this is great info.

1 Like

Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by princetom1(m): 4:43pm On Nov 01, 2017
Fogman
Re: So I Have A Tomtom Satnav With British Maps Etc. Will It Work In Naija by sukkot: 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2017
princetom1:
Fogman
what is frogman ?

(1) (Reply)

Clean 2015 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER PRADO TXL / SOLD SOLD SOLD.buy your dream car 08088525399 / Tokunbo Toyota Corolla 2012 Available In Lagos At 3.650m (negotiable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.