Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2927) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4422291 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2924) (2925) (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 11:34am On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:
This isn't any headline, sir.

Please go for brain lesion therapy. This is the news. The facts.

Your demented opinions and rants doesn't do justice to dispel or disprove what your minister has admitted and what "rapid fire" has reported.

Please vote for my sweetheart, Mimzy. Hehehehe

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3660762_2016043010_54_36_jpeg7ca958a779b921e756ea0aebc0e9b72b

Its literally only a headline. Read the article.

Repeating yourself over and over does not help your argument.

Because you have no argument, at this point you are meerly trolling.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 11:35am On Apr 30, 2016
Patchesagain:

That is literally the definition of separation of powers you dingus

I know that such concepts are difficult for those from poorly developed states to grasp, but you must endeavor to at least try.

That's not separation of powers, olodo lecturer!!! grin

That's interference. The judiciary found him wantng in law, so He should be in court defending himself, not the Executive using state power to jeopardise the work of the judiciary.

Patrick, when do you ever accept you've been bested?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 11:36am On Apr 30, 2016
Patchesagain:

Its literally only a headline. Read the article.

Repeating yourself over and over does not help your argument.

Because you have no argument, at this point you are meerly trolling.

You're going in circles, poor lad. That's worse than trolling, it's lack of cyber adaptability.

Since when does headline become long and contains "The End" ?

Answer that and say the truth.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 12:31pm On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:

That's not separation of powers, olodo lecturer!!! grin

That's interference. The judiciary found him wantng in law, so He should be in court defending himself, not the Executive using state power to jeopardise the work of the judiciary.

Patrick, when do you ever accept you've been bested?

The Government does not controll the courts
The Courts do not control the Government

Seperation of powers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 12:32pm On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:
You're going in circles, poor lad. That's worse than trolling, it's lack of cyber adaptability.

Since when does headline become long and contains "The End" ?

Answer that and say the truth.

When you actually post an allegation that we can see, I will deal with it.

Posting pictures no one can see do not warrant a response.

Lezz, you are truly pathetic
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 12:55pm On Apr 30, 2016
Patchesagain:

The Government does not controll the courts
The Courts do not control the Government

Seperation of powers.
Man listen to yourself!!!! Are you making sense even to a fool.

Don't reduce yourself into sounding stupider than you already are.

Court says detain a visiting President wanted by Interpol. That's judicial powers in operation.

Your president used the security operative and executive channel to whisk him away. That is interference and meddlesomeness.

I see you've never grown out of your misplaced Hubris and baseless ego.

You're becoming irredeemably lost to common sense and basic comprehension skills.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 12:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:
Man listen to yourself!!!! Are you making sense even to a fool.

Don't reduce yourself into sounding stupider than you've been sounding since yesterday.

Court says detain a visiting President wanted by Interpol. That's judicial powers in operation.

Your president used the security operative and executive chsnesl to whisk him away. That is interference and meddlesomeness.

I see you've never grown out of your misplaced Hubris and baseless ego.

You're becoming irredeemably lost to common sense and basic comprehension skills.

And how did this discussion start?

You said that the ANC forced the Courts to drop charges against JZ because he was going to be president

Now you are telling us how the RSA Govt was unable to stop the Courts ruling against Bashir

So, you are telling us that the ANC controlls the courts, but also does not control the courts. You have massively contradicted yourself and sunk your own argument.

This was the game all along. I baited the trap and you took it hook line and sinker.

Congratulations on destroying your own argument cool

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
You're sounding desperately pathetic, Patrick
Patchesagain:

And how did this discussion start?
We aren't having a discussion; I'm pointing you to the light of the truth you so desperately wish to deny.

Patchesagain:

You said that the ANC forced the Courts to drop charges against JZ because he was going to be president
Dementia alert!!! I quoted South African newspapers and media outlet who reported how the ANC forced several officials to drop over 700 fraud suits against Zuma who already had been sacked as DP. Go talk to your reporters in Durban, denying the truth here is a poor attempt at damage control.
Patchesagain:

Now you are telling us how the RSA Govt is unable to stop the Courts ruling against Bashir
Shows over, dummy, Bashir was under House or whatever arrest by the orders of a South African judge, when your rookie military was besieged in Sudan peace keeping mission, your president broke the rules and judicial independence by using executive incursion to Cree Bashir, Olodo southie like you. grin

Patchesagain:

This was the game all along. I baited the trap and you took it hook line and sinker.

Congradulations on destroying your own argument cool
You only succeeded in miring yourself deeper into the quagmire of your self-deceit and and incomprehensibility!!!!

My relationship with you will always be teacher-student one, albeit, a very stubborn one.

You've earned yourself the front row seat in my class reserved for boneheads cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Fly Mimzy for me , vote her for Miss Nairaland 2016 cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 1:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:
[s]You're sounding desperately pathetic, Patrick
We aren't having a discussion; I'm pointing you to the light of the truth you so desperately wish to deny.

Dementia alert!!! I quoted South African newspapers and media outlet who reported how the ANC forced several officials to drop over 700 fraud suits against Zuma who already had been sacked as DP. Go talk to your reporters in Durban, denying the truth here is a poor attempt at damage control.

Shows over, dummy, Bashir was under House or whatever arrest by the orders of a South African judge, when your rookie military was besieged in Sudan peace keeping mission, your president broke the rules and judicial independence by using executive incursion to Cree Bashir, Olodo southie like you. grin

You only succeeded in miring yourself deeper into the quagmire of your self-deceit and and incomprehensibility!!!!

My relationship with you will always be teacher-student one, albeit, a very stubborn one.

You've earned yourself the front row seat in my class reserved for boneheads[/s] cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Fly Mimzy for me , vote her for Miss Nairaland 2016 cheesy

lol, I see you are in maximum damage conrtol mode!!

You have told us that the ANC has no control over the Judiciary, you admitted as such in your own posts!

Stop flauting conspiracy stories about SANDF peacekeepers being beseiged... the story has subsequently been destroyed by the UN itself.

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2016
Patchesagain:

lol, I see you are in maximum damage conrtol mode!!

You have told us that the ANC has no control over the Judiciary, you admitted as such in your own posts!

Stop flauting conspiracy stories about SANDF peacekeepers being beseiged... the story has subsequently been destroyed by the UN itself.

grin grin grin grin I like the fact that you didn't cross out the last line of my post. grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CocaineDreamz: 8:26pm On Apr 30, 2016
TheDarknight:

Your source you cited is 2 years old bro. Mine is one month old only.

Of the 26 gripen fighter jets you mentioned , 12 have been mothballed for years and for long put away.

We all know what that means in military hardware like aircrafts!!!

But let's read up the excuses from your own minister of defence, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula how your planes are missing and who stole them. She made this announcement in parliament just a month ago:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3659803_2016043007_04_23_jpeg873f59220fa1aaf02ca15ed261e0db12

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3659804_2016043007_06_57_jpeg94e28e6b841f085164d772e10ec6742f

WTF!! Bro that doesn't tell us anything about the Maintenance of our Aircraft.

It doesn't even say that our fleet is ageing.

My Link Shows that since we signed the deal with SAAB we'll receive Upgrades around every 2years or so.

Since I'm such a Good guy I'll vote for your Girl Friend. Even though you've completely failed to provide evidence to support your argument.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheDarknight: 9:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
CocaineDreamz:

WTF!! Bro that doesn't tell us anything about the Maintenance of our Aircraft.

It doesn't even say that our fleet is ageing.

My Link Shows that since we signed the deal with SAAB we'll receive Upgrades around every 2years or so.

Since I'm such a Good guy I'll vote for your Girl Friend. Even though you've completely failed to provide evidence to support your argument

grin grin grin Oya, thank you, bro. I appreciate.

I will come give you a tag on voting day.

Mean while, Her Name is Mïmzy.

Thanks

Cc patchesagain/patches698
Dievluit
Saengine
Thiza
Mzilakazi
Muazua
Punkyveer
Royalpearl
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 6:33pm On May 01, 2016
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DonBobes(m): 6:58pm On May 01, 2016
iblawi:
Lagos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbsdLI8kaWc

A Nigerian by attitude but Lagosian by heart.

Am a proud Lagosian!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 7:04pm On May 01, 2016
Africa you don't see on TV.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 7:05pm On May 01, 2016
Africa you don't see on TV and the Europe you don't see on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80M2GI1jAc
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:56am On May 03, 2016
The Aerostar unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) acquired by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) in 2006 have reportedly been grounded due to a lack of maintenance, limiting surveillance operations against Boko Haram militants. Meanwhile the US has deployed a Predator team to Chad to search for kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls.

The nine Aerostar UAVs were acquired in 2006 and 2007 from Aeronautics Defense Systems (ADS), a company based in the Israeli capital Tel Aviv in a contract which also included the supply of unmanned patrol boats to the Nigerian Navy, bringing the net value of the contract to $260 million.

Israeli newspaper Haaretz quoted ADS marketing officer Tsur Dvir and military and diplomatic sources as saying that the Nigerian UAVs became inoperable five year ago due to poor maintenance.

“To the best of our knowledge, these systems aren’t operational. We did receive an inquiry from them (Nigerian Air Force) about spare parts, but it never turned into a deal. I wish it had but now the drones are probably parked in a yard somewhere," Dvir said.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34782:nigerian-air-force-uav-fleet-grounded&catid=35:Aerospace

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:57am On May 03, 2016
Senior leaders of the Air Force cannot explain why Nigeria even needs an Air Force, but they continue to pursue combat aircraft to battle an unknown threat. Nigeria has an Air Force with few functional aircraft. The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) is largely irrelevant. Most of the Generals are pilots who feel the need to focus on fighter aircraft to protect Nigerian airspace against foreign incursion (by whom they won't say). With the exception of the helicopter fleet being used in the Niger Delta, most of NAF's aircraft are non-functional. There are six times as many general officers and flag officers in the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and Nigerian Navy (NN) as there are operational ships and aircraft.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/nigeria/air-force.htm
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:59am On May 03, 2016
The NAF ORBAT as at February 2007 was follows:

Fighter Fleet. The 14 Alpha Jet ground attack aircraft located at Kainji were the only fixed wing combat aircraft currently in flying status. A total of 23 Mig-21 Air Defence Interceptors had been grounded since 1988. And the 15 Jaguar Recce Interdiction aircraft had also been grounded since 1988.
Transport Fleet. The NAF operated the C-130H and the G-222 for heavy and medium air lift respectively. Also, the Do-228 was available for light transport and liaison duties. The G-222s were all grounded while undergoing fleet reactivation and upgrade, while all the C-130s were grounded, as they had been scheduled for Periodic Depot Maintenance (PDM). The serviceability of the Do-228 and C-130 as at February 2007 ranged from 15% to 0%. The 11 DO- 128-6 Liaison Transports were grounded, while the 5 DO–228 Liaison Transports were operational.
Helicopters Fleet. The NAF helicopter fleet comprised the Super Puma helicopter and the Mi-35P armed helicopter. As at February 2007 the Super Puma fleet was grounded, although there are efforts for its reactivation. The current serviceability status of the Mi-35P was on the average 33%.
Trainer Fleet. For primary flying training, the NAF had the ABT-18 aircraft for ab-intio training. The L-39ZA, MB-339 and Mi34 were used for basic flying training. The MB-339 fleet was grounded awaiting activation of a signed contract for its upgrade while the serviceability rate of the L-39ZA as at February 2007 was 25%.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/nigeria/air-force-equipment-intro.htm
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:10pm On May 03, 2016
Around $15 billion - equal to about half the country's foreign currency reserves - was stolen from Nigeria's public purse under the previous government through fraudulent arms procurement deals, the vice president said on Monday.

Africa's top oil exporter is going through its worst economic crisis in decades due to the drop in global crude prices and ministers say these problems have been exacerbated by the impact of fraud under previous administrations.

President Muhammadu Buhari, who last year won election fought on his vow to crackdown on corruption, has said the theft of "mind boggling" sums of oil money meant state coffers were virtually empty in Africa's biggest economy when he took office last May.

Corruption charges have been levelled against former military chiefs and companies accused of involvement in an alleged arms procurement fraud during the tenure of Buhari's predecessor Goodluck Jonathan. They have pleaded not guilty.

The total sum lost to corruption related to the provision of security equipment to the military and amounted to around 15 billion US dollars, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43330:15-billion-stolen-in-nigerian-arms-procurement-fraud&catid=54:Governance&Itemid=118

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:12pm On May 03, 2016
The South African Air Force currently musters 23 operational fighter aircrew. The Ministry of Defence says the flying service musters 10 Gripen aircrew (eight pilots, two navigators) and 13 Hawk aircrew, all pilots.

Last November Sisulu stated the SAAF had 60 posts for combat pilots, of which 34 were filled at the time and 26 were vacant. The number relates to the total of fighters the SAAF should operate by 2012: 24 BAE Systems Mk120 Hawk lead-in fighter trainers and 26 SAAB Gripen advanced light fighter aircraft, the former with 85 Combat Flying School and the latter with 2 Squadron, both co-located at Air Force Base Makhado in Limpopo. This amounts to 50 aircraft. To date, all 24 Hawk have been delivered and 15 of the Gripen.

THAT WAS IN 2010

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11203:saaf-boasts-23-fighter-aircrew&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by pacretus(m): 12:41pm On May 03, 2016
Thiza:
The South African Air Force currently musters 23 operational fighter aircrew. The Ministry of Defence says the flying service musters 10 Gripen aircrew (eight pilots, two navigators) and 13 Hawk aircrew, all pilots.

Last November Sisulu stated the SAAF had 60 posts for combat pilots, of which 34 were filled at the time and 26 were vacant. The number relates to the total of fighters the SAAF should operate by 2012: 24 BAE Systems Mk120 Hawk lead-in fighter trainers and 26 SAAB Gripen advanced light fighter aircraft, the former with 85 Combat Flying School and the latter with 2 Squadron, both co-located at Air Force Base Makhado in Limpopo. This amounts to 50 aircraft. To date, all 24 Hawk have been delivered and 15 of the Gripen.

THAT WAS IN 2010

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11203:saaf-boasts-23-fighter-aircrew&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107
hope you aren't as outdated as your post. cry
Thiza:

THAT WAS IN 2010

hope you aren't as outdated as your post.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 1:13pm On May 03, 2016
Thiza:
The Aerostar unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) acquired by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) in 2006 have reportedly been grounded due to a lack of maintenance, limiting surveillance operations against Boko Haram militants. Meanwhile the US has deployed a Predator team to Chad to search for kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls.

The nine Aerostar UAVs were acquired in 2006 and 2007 from Aeronautics Defense Systems (ADS), a company based in the Israeli capital Tel Aviv in a contract which also included the supply of unmanned patrol boats to the Nigerian Navy, bringing the net value of the contract to $260 million.

Israeli newspaper Haaretz quoted ADS marketing officer Tsur Dvir and military and diplomatic sources as saying that the Nigerian UAVs became inoperable five year ago due to poor maintenance.

“To the best of our knowledge, these systems aren’t operational. We did receive an inquiry from them (Nigerian Air Force) about spare parts, but it never turned into a deal. I wish it had but now the drones are probably parked in a yard somewhere," Dvir said.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34782:nigerian-air-force-uav-fleet-grounded&catid=35:Aerospace

Fake news from a south African

NAF didn't acquire aerostar UAVs the Nigerian navy did and they are still active in the south and were never used against boko haram because the army has more drones than they do.

The Nigerian air force makes use of amebo drone developed by Nigerian air force institute.

Lastly your news is too old. 2014 was many years ago when your useless defence web was trying to prove to the world that south African soldiers were better than Nigerian soldiers. Thank God we are now ranked better than you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 1:22pm On May 03, 2016
Thiza:
Senior leaders of the Air Force cannot explain why Nigeria even needs an Air Force, but they continue to pursue combat aircraft to battle an unknown threat. Nigeria has an Air Force with few functional aircraft. The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) is largely irrelevant. Most of the Generals are pilots who feel the need to focus on fighter aircraft to protect Nigerian airspace against foreign incursion (by whom they won't say). With the exception of the helicopter fleet being used in the Niger Delta, most of NAF's aircraft are non-functional. There are six times as many general officers and flag officers in the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) and Nigerian Navy (NN) as there are operational ships and aircraft.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/nigeria/air-force.htm

Fool,

Nigerian air force don't know why they exist but least they know they need combat aircraft to protect the country unlike the south African navy officer who believe submarines are for chasing sharks.

Pls tell us what they should use to protect the nation?

Do you want our combat pilots to be flying politicians around like you do in south Africa?

Nigerian navy have more than 4X the vessels in south African navy and they are more active than their south African counterpart .
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 1:36pm On May 03, 2016
Thiza:
The NAF ORBAT as at February 2007 was follows:

Fighter Fleet. The 14 Alpha Jet ground attack aircraft located at Kainji were the only fixed wing combat aircraft currently in flying status. A total of 23 Mig-21 Air Defence Interceptors had been grounded since 1988. And the 15 Jaguar Recce Interdiction aircraft had also been grounded since 1988.
Transport Fleet. The NAF operated the C-130H and the G-222 for heavy and medium air lift respectively. Also, the Do-228 was available for light transport and liaison duties. The G-222s were all grounded while undergoing fleet reactivation and upgrade, while all the C-130s were grounded, as they had been scheduled for Periodic Depot Maintenance (PDM). The serviceability of the Do-228 and C-130 as at February 2007 ranged from 15% to 0%. The 11 DO- 128-6 Liaison Transports were grounded, while the 5 DO–228 Liaison Transports were operational.
Helicopters Fleet. The NAF helicopter fleet comprised the Super Puma helicopter and the Mi-35P armed helicopter. As at February 2007 the Super Puma fleet was grounded, although there are efforts for its reactivation. The current serviceability status of the Mi-35P was on the average 33%.
Trainer Fleet. For primary flying training, the NAF had the ABT-18 aircraft for ab-intio training. The L-39ZA, MB-339 and Mi34 were used for basic flying training. The MB-339 fleet was grounded awaiting activation of a signed contract for its upgrade while the serviceability rate of the L-39ZA as at February 2007 was 25%.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/nigeria/air-force-equipment-intro.htm
All the aircrafts mentioned were used in recent times against boko haram which means they have all been reactivated. Please stop living in the past(2007) and concentrate on the present(2016).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 1:40pm On May 03, 2016
In case you don't know what the present times look like(2016).

@thiza or what ever you call yourself.

1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 1:56pm On May 03, 2016
Thiza:

THAT WAS IN 2010

Please tell us what happened in 2016?

2016 you now have 5 unqualified gripen pilots.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:02am On May 04, 2016
iblawi:
In case you don't know what the present times look like(2016).

@thiza or what ever you call yourself.
i guess the new rankings should ease up tensions on this thread for good wink
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:54am On May 04, 2016

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:55am On May 04, 2016
Israeli drones under African skies

Post 04 May 2006

Last Updated on 23 April 2008

By Yossi Melman, Haaretz

Hits: 3899

A few days ago, the American ambassador in Nigeria met with the Nigerian defense minister, Dr. Rabiu Kwankwaso. The ambassador complained about a major weapons deal that the Nigerian defense ministry had recently signed with the private Israeli company Aeronautics Defense Systems. He was upset that the deal had been given to an Israeli company without an international tender, thereby preventing American companies from bidding. Kwankwaso promised to clarify the issue and get back to him.

But despite the company and the Israeli Defense Ministry's concern over the American intervention, Israeli officials are convinced that the deal will go through.

The deal reflects only a small part of the operations of Aeronautics, a Yavneh-based company that manufactures drones and makes every effort to keep away from the media.

Largest arms deal

This is the largest arms deal that Israel has ever made with Nigeria. It was signed in the Nigerian capital in March between a local daughter company of Aeronautics and the Nigerian defense ministry. The Israeli company has agreed to design, develop, manufacture, install and prepare for operation three Aerostar Unmanned Aerial Vehicle intelligence systems and three Seastar systems for aerial and marine use. Each Aerostar system includes between three and six small unmanned planes, and each plane is equipped with sensors and cameras with both day- and night-vision capabilities. The drones can remain in the air for up to 14 hours.

The Seastar systems have drones that operate from ships and will be used by the Nigerian navy in the Delta region of the Niger River, an oil-rich area that in the last few months has become a battlefield where militias and guerrilla groups are fighting the federal government.

The increasing demand for oil and the hike in oil prices has turned the area into a strategically important region that serves as a focus of activity for American, British and French oil companies - and recently, also Chinese, Russian and Korean companies.

The Aeronautics deal is unusually large for Nigeria, which recently agreed to purchase 15 warplanes and flight training planes from China for a quarter of a billion dollars - $10 million less than it is paying for the Israeli deal.

The aggressive operating and marketing methods practiced by Aeronautics, which was founded in 1997 and is not selective in its choice of clients, have embroiled it in international scandals and a police inquiry over the last two years.

The company's expertise lies in supplying intelligence systems, primarily via drones. At first it won a tender to supply drone services to the IDF for activity in the Gaza area.

Aeronautics beat out Israel Aircraft Industries by offering its services at low prices. With an IDF contract in its pocket, Aeronautics was able to boast, as other manufacturers do, that the system had "proven itself in battle."

The early success whetted the appetite of the small company, which soon began ogling international markets. Aeronautics began operating in African countries, in the midst of civil war, whose corrupt regimes had a rich history of civil-rights violations, such as Equatorial Guinea.

The company's official Web site states that it is now active in India, the United States, England, Ethiopia, Russia, Nepal and Taiwan.

Ivory Coast dealings

In 2005 Aeronautics sold drones to the army of the Ivory Coast, involved in a civil war, while a French peace force was located there. A French unit gained control of Aeronautics equipment and destroyed it.

The Israeli involvement angered France, which demanded that Israel's Defense Ministry instruct Aeronautics and other Israeli companies to cut all ties with the Ivory Coast immediately and obey UN sanctions.

After a delay of several months, Israel was compelled to join countries around the world in imposing sanctions and halting the export of weapons to the Ivory Coast.

It was another episode that led to a police investigation of Aeronautics. The inquiry centered around the suspicion that the company had transferred information to a company in Russia without the Israeli government's permission. The Defense Ministry official responsible for security, Yehiel Horev, has been able to demand serious indictments for similar, suspected violations in the past, but the case was closed in this instance; the official reason was that the company was suspected of "technical violations."

A blind eye

This forgiving attitude toward Aeronautics gave people involved in the security export field the impression that the company had high-level patrons. Its board of directors and consultants include Major General Avigdor ("Yanush" Ben-Gal and former IDF chief of staff Amnon Lipkin-Shahak, and previously included former Shin Bet security service head Yaakov Perry as well. Perry said he left the company more than a year ago and was not involved in the Nigeria deal. Ben-Gal did not respond to a Haaretz request for comment.

Two Israeli businessmen - Alon Nelken from Savyon and Amit Sadeh, who represents him in Nigeria - mediated the Aeronautics-Nigeria deal. Both are well-connected to Nigerian government officials. To seal the deal, they enlisted the help of former Nigerian president General Ibrahim Babangida, who convinced the country's national security adviser - Lieutenant General Aliyu Mohammed Gusau, a powerful figure in Nigeria - of the importance of the Aeronautics deal.

Nelken, 52, came to Nigeria about 25 years ago as a representative of Israeli construction company Solel Boneh. He stayed there, working as a real estate entrepreneur and the owner of a security consulting company. He owns, among other projects, the Mega Plaza mall in Lagos.

The Nigerian government has already paid an advance of 10 percent ($26 million) for the Aeronautics deal, and some $5 million of that amount has been allocated to various agents.

Nelken and Sadeh are not listed in the Israeli Defense Ministry's security assistance division, apparently indicating that they are not allowed to be involved in security exports from Israel or even to conduct negotiations related to such imports. In response to a query on this matter, Aeronautics said: "This is a question that Nelken must be asked." Nelken confirmed that he had been involved in the deal, but refused to describe the extent of his involvement. The Defense Ministry did not respond to questions on the matter.

Nelken and Auronautics said the company had won the tender legally, beating out an American company, and is operating with the coordination and approval of the Israeli Defense Ministry.

History of close ties

Israel and Nigeria - the most populated country in Africa - share a history of close ties. Israeli companies operate in Nigeria in the fields of infrastructure, communications and agriculture. Hundreds of Israelis live there and ships belonging to the Israeli Zim shipping company stop at Nigerian ports. The two countries have long had security ties, and Israeli companies have previously sold Nigeria weapons for its police and military forces and its intelligence services.

Until a few years ago, Israeli Brigadier General (Res.) Shlomo Ilya was one of the major players in the supply of arms and security equipment to Nigeria. At the time, he was joined by Ben-Gal and Meir Dagan, now head of the Mossad.

Several Israeli companies operate in the Niger Delta, including JDP, which is owned by the Ashtrom International construction group and SCC, owned by Yosef Kalish from Haifa (who also owns the Sharbiv construction company in Israel.)

These companies are involved in infrastructure and agriculture initiatives and employ hundreds of workers.

Good for the State of Israel?

The Israeli embassy in Abuja was in on the secret contacts. Ambassador Noam Katz refused to discuss the issue, but an official Israeli source said that the deal involved "equipment that doesn't shoot," and that it was good for the State of Israel, especially in light of Nigeria's strengthened position as one of the world's major oil exporters.

However, some Israelis - and not just business competitors - are criticizing the deal. They say they are concerned that the presence of Israeli arms in Nigeria, especially in the Delta region, is liable to have negative ramifications. An Israeli businessman warned there was a fear that "due to the deal, the local population, with which we have excellent ties, will identify Israel and Israelis with its enemies."

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/newsflash/israeli-drones-under-african-skies.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:56am On May 04, 2016
Isreal Sold Non-Functional Drones To Nigeria For $240m.

illitrate: Nigerian defence and security equipment contractor, Alh. Rabiu Hassan, yesterday, alleged that some Israeli security contractors (names withheld) were fleecing the nation of huge sums of money in hard currencies by supplying either non-functional equipments or collecting mobilisation fees without making supplies.

The contractor told journalists in Abuja that at a time the nation was facing dire security challenges, three Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, UAVs, popularly known as drones, supplied by the Israelis were rotting away in a hangar in Benin because they were non-functional.

He added that even at that, Nigeria was made to pay far more than the cost of the most sophisticated drones currently used by United States of America, USA.

Hassan, who said he had petitioned the Presidency and relevant anti-corruption agencies, said although he was a contractor himself, he had to cry out for a probe into the activities of the affected companies with a view to arresting the situation.

He said: “As we talk, there are three Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, which are popularly called drones, supplied by the Israelis which have never worked. They are parked right now at a hangar in Benin. They have never worked since they were supplied.”

He said the non-functional drones cost the nation $240 million, adding that the Israeli behind the drones deal had operated in the country for over a decade and had infiltrated the top echelon of successive administrations in the country, where he had entrenched himself.

He equally disclosed that another set of two Israelis were on the verge of sealing a deal for leasing two spy satellites to Nigeria at a cost considered to be another rip-off as they had asked Nigeria to pay 145 million Euros for a project, which cost had been put at $40 million by Imagesat, the manufacturers in Israel.

Hassan said: “I have personally gone to Israel and found out from the manufacturers what the cost is. It is $40 million for the total project. It is curious that they (contractors) are quoting 145 million Euros.

“The Israeli company does not quote in Euros, they only quote in dollars. Nigerians must ask questions: is there any such contract at $145 million? This can’t happen elsewhere in the world.”

Hassan, who said he was crying out as a patriotic Nigeria, disclosed that he would be at the State Security Service, SSS, and the Office of the National Security on their invitation to give more details on his petition.

According to him, he had earlier made a preliminary statement at the SSS and was determined to ensure that the matter was not swept under the carpet. He said the entire activities of the Israeli firms in the nation’s security sector must be probed.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/isreali-contractors-sold-nigeria-240m-non-functional-drones/

https://www.nairaland.com/1093776/isreal-sold-non-functional-drones-nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (2924) (2925) (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.