Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4428207 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:40am On Dec 29, 2010
GAR3TH:

lol Nigeria does have a company which makes APC (Armoured personnel carrier) and the Defence Industrial Corporation of Nigeria also manufactures its own ak47 (obj).

the air force also builds its own UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) and also manufactures it "air beetle" trainers

i believe the Navy is currently building a warship.

Good that they're trying and starting, then. I am indeed pleasantly surprised.

The lopsided distribution of military centers in the country is a serious tactical mistake made for political purposes which ensures that the Nigerian military's defense capabilities can never be top notch though.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by SweetT1: 8:41am On Dec 29, 2010
what Military?? You mean arrows and bow??
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2010
what Military?? You mean arrows and bow??

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaIKmWcUDE?fs=1&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 2:47pm On Dec 29, 2010
GAR3TH:

lol Nigeria does have a company which makes APC (Armoured personnel carrier) and the Defence Industrial Corporation of Nigeria also manufactures its own ak47 (obj).

the air force also builds its own UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) and also manufactures it "air beetle" trainers

i believe the Navy is currently building a warship.

Not one of these would last one day in pitched battle with the Egyptian Air Force. Our 'air beetle' is just a slow trainer craft. The APCs manufactured here are mainly effective in scaring off protesters, not going against even a rag-tag group armed with RPGs
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 2:53pm On Dec 29, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Ochi Agha said:

That's funny. There's no basis for saying ''they may have the weapons but don't know how to use them correctly''.

How familiar are you with the training regime of the Nigerian military in terms of officers' qualifications, capabilities, number of training courses attended per annum vis a vis the pre civil war era? Can you for instance tell me how many officers are trained today to handle a  Vickers Mk 3 main battle tank, of which the army owns about 200?

What about the M-56 100 mm Artillery Vehicle, of which the army owns 220??

Or the SA 7 and APR-21 122 mm MRLS missile systems numbering 120

Do you really think these equipment are lying around the barracks with soldiers clueless as to how to use them?

That's a joke, right??  wink

One thing OBJ did was increase the professionalism of the military.

Even in the days of Abacha and IBB when army indiscipline was the norm, they still brought Liberia and Sierra Leone to peace. 

The army is at least three times more professional today than it was then.

Throwing around big words that discerning people know to be meaningless. See someone talking about 'SA 7 missile systems' as if the SA 7 is not a 1960s era shoulder launched AA missile with very limited effectiveness against modern combat jets.
If we didn't have MLRS systems, we'd be a banana republic.
The Vickers main battle tank was not a top-of-the-line model even when it was made for export in 1975. Even the Kenyans have recognised that this tank is becoming obsolete and are making concerted efforts to replace their own stock with more modern T-72 tanks.

look, i'm not trying to belittle the Nigerian Army. We have an army adequate for our immediate environment. But the topic refers to the Strongest millitary in Africa, and we're technologically inferior to the Egyptians and South Africans.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 29, 2010
texazzpete:

Throwing around big words that discerning people know to be meaningless. See someone talking about 'SA 7 missile systems' as if the SA 7 is not a 1960s era shoulder launched AA missile with very limited effectiveness against modern combat jets.
If we didn't have MLRS systems, we'd be a banana republic.
The Vickers main battle tank was not a top-of-the-line model even when it was made for export in 1975. Even the Kenyans have recognised that this tank is becoming obsolete and are making concerted efforts to replace their own stock with more modern T-72 tanks.

look, i'm not trying to belittle the Nigerian Army. We have an army adequate for our immediate environment. But the topic refers to the Strongest millitary in Africa, and we're technologically inferior to the Egyptians and South Africans.

You know absolutely zippo about the Nigerian military.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by xterra2(m): 10:22pm On Dec 29, 2010
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military On Africa?
« #64 on: Yesterday at 09:22:54 PM »
Modify message
Good, i like military threads Smiley but in my own opinion

Strongest in Africa,
1 Egypt no doubt about that although my link below is a bit bad they are still the best, with diesel powered submarine and a good navy and army, easily the besy
2. Algeria - the Su-30 is a very capable fighter, beats the F-15 every time, which never had a loss, also it beats all american 4/4.5 fighter jet, e.g F-15,16 and 18
3.Morocco- Uses F-16 block D also has some Electronic warfare planes,
---
4.Nigeria- with the delivery of the J-7 airguard (or F-7 whichever joor) boosted the airforce ability, with the navy warships that have been repaired, + have good training
5.South Africa, - it placed an order of the saab gripen but has not yet recive them ( last time i checked) thereby lacking capable fighter jets thats why i put them below Nigeria,

-----
Um you may abuse the soldiers, killing civilians, entering molue for free or maltreating innocent people but that doesnt mean they are not trained or capable,

Sources:
1. (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1284905)
2. (http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/comparison-f15-su30-1.html)

South Africa isnt rally capable, no fighter jets for now, but when the gripens are delivered, they would be ahead of us,
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Omenani(m): 10:24pm On Dec 29, 2010
xterra2, all the military websites I have looked at clearly state that South Africa followed by Libya are in the top 40 strongest armies. Nigeria doesn't even make the list for some reason.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mariory(m): 11:14pm On Dec 29, 2010
Omenani:

xterra2, all the military websites I have looked at clearly state that South Africa followed by Libya are in the top 40 strongest armies. Nigeria doesn't even make the list for some reason.

Strongest or largest? The two mean completely different things. South Africa has the ablest military followed by IMO Algeria although I think Morocco run them close for second spot.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Beaf: 11:45pm On Dec 29, 2010
xterra2:

South Africa isnt rally capable, no fighter jets for now, but when the gripens are delivered, they would be ahead of us,

Abeg, make una no de mis yarn.
South Africa already has 15 JAS 39 Gripen mult-role fighters and they manufacture and export the Atlas Cheetah jet fighter.
The JAS 39 Gripen is equivalent to an F-16 in capability.

http://www.denelaviation.co.za/
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/cheetah-fighter/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Aircraft_Corporation

It isn't sane to compare SA and Nigeria in any military sphere.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2010
Beaf:

South Africa already has 15 JAS 39 Gripen mult-role fighters and they manufacture and export the Atlas Cheetah jet fighter.

@ Beaf you are becoming more like the London Daily Mail these days  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Always tearing their country to pieces and reporting all the negatives.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Beaf: 12:08am On Dec 30, 2010
frosbel:

@ Beaf you are becoming more like the London Daily Mail these days grin grin grin grin grin grin

Always tearing their country to pieces and reporting all the negatives.

Abeg, make una fogif my bad behaviour! I will try to do beta next time. smiley
Happy Xmas bro.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by udezue(m): 4:26am On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf is just saying the truth.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

Abeg, make una fogif my bad behaviour! I will try to do beta next time. smiley
Happy Xmas bro.

Happy new year to you in advance.

May Nigeria be bettered in 2011 and beyond.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by seanet02: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2010
This website called global fire power is nothing but fraud. Some people here on nairaland are born inferiored to the extent they will believe the bakkasi boys will defeat Nigerian Army without any problem. Imagine this website declaring that taiwan and south africa has more oil than Nigeria. Nairalanders are simply inferior people. The fact is that Nigerian army and the Naval force is the best in Africa. Go and ask south africa if they have ever heard of NNS LOKOJA and NNS BONNY. They have nothing equal to this elements of destruction. Wonder why sa has never done anything tangible in the southern african region considering the unrest in congo and rest? They will be dusted like unarmed rebels.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by seanet02: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2010
This website called global fire power is nothing but fraud. Some people here on nairaland are born inferiored to the extent they will believe the bakkasi boys will defeat Nigerian Army without any problem. Imagine this website declaring that taiwan and south africa has more oil than Nigeria. Nairalanders are simply inferior people. The fact is that Nigerian army and the Naval force is the best in Africa. Go and ask south africa if they have ever heard of NNS LOKOJA and NNS BONNY. They have nothing equal to this elements of destruction. Wonder why sa has never done anything tangible in the southern african region considering the unrest in congo and rest? They will be dusted like unarmed rebels.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by xterra2(m): 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2010
Omenani:

Okay then put Libya and South Africa ahead of my original list , i made a mistake with the south african airforce and forgot completely about libya. My bad

Beaf:

Sorry abeg, i was mis-informed, yeah they do have 15 gripens and liibya is ahead of us, my bad
SO put Libya and south africa ahead of us in my list
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by violent(m): 9:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
The fact is that Nigerian army and the Naval force is the best in Africa. Go and ask south africa if they have ever heard of NNS LOKOJA and NNS BONNY

you talk of NNS Lokoja and NNS Bonny ?

Even the NNS Ardu, that is supposed to be the father of Nigerian frigates does not measure in to the South African Valour in terms of anti ship missile and surface to air missile!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by warmonger: 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2010
[b][/b] Re: Who Has The Strongest Military On Africa?
« #26 on: March 19, 2010, 09:16 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be disillusional if you beleive Nigeria is even top 5.

Currently, Nigeria's military is a shambolic excuse of a fighting force. They are neither well equipped, nor well trained. Standing upside down with a rock on your backside for 5 hours doesn't make you well trained.

Nigeria's army uses taped up rusty AK-47s as their primary fighting tool. The MEND militants are better equipped than the so called army.

The Army lacks proper body armor, many don't even have basic helmets or bullet proof vests.

Discipline, let's not even go there, the Nigerian army's lack of discipline is evident all around.

Without the army fatigues they could easily be mistook for Al Shabab or Congolese militia. They don't have any sense of organization, they can't even march straight. They can't respond to domestic disturbances (Jos, Mend, MASSOB, Kidnappings), let alone any external military threat.

Those rickety pick up trucks that don't look fit to even carry farm animals is what our military get around in.

Nigeria, not even close.
"

are u for real? war and miltary power cannot be judged by mend or muslims in jos.
if u want to base you jugdment on those aspect, then answer this question
1, why did russia leave afgan ?
2 what problem did the strongest force in d world face in iraq
3, what are the americans still doing in afgan
dealing with such type of fight is verry difficult because its not convention and some weapons are not allowed to be used,
i agree with S.A as number 1
egppt number 2 and nigeria number 3
lybia i think had but no more good weapons
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Becomrich12: 2:43pm On Dec 31, 2010
men dont make strongest army. egypt, south africa, ethiope, angola, ivory coast, nigeria. that why i said dont go to ivory coast.

they have carry over weapon from civil war and thier army is  ready for you. they would kill our boys in thousands. we dont want that disgrace. see what our boys are holding, ivory coast has state of the act guns. dont make the mistake. we use our money to build roads and facilities and not fight war. that why i said remove edo,delta and bayelsa state into benin republic. that way, there would not be civil war in nigeria.

A civil war would means total destruction of abuja, we dont want to see that happen. We would rather give the north abuja. 30 years of building abuja, you dont want to waste abuja in less than 7 days.  there would be too many rebel army in a civil war in Nigeria. And they would all have thier eyes on capturing abuja and they would all destroy abuja.   You people should cut a deal with the north to remove edo,delta and yorubas into benin republic. This is why white people haave better thing, they never destroy thier things.

We should not allow people to destroy and  bomb up abuja. Cut a deal with the north and remove edo,delta and yorubas into benin republic, if possible bayelsa state.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Becomrich12: 2:56pm On Dec 31, 2010
this is what they ivory coast and even better. they would kill you in your thousand.

1 ivorian  =5 nigerian base on the weapon they are using. they have pile of weapon from the civil war. dont let ayone push you into civil war, .dont fall mugu. na some people want make kudi owo ego.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrgWdk6PUskFCiTyV9FG7DImgCjGpgepCyicOgsf-3nrZrGqV8[/img]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GAR3TH(m): 3:28pm On Dec 31, 2010
typical becomerich,

not to stop your propaganda but the Ivory coast doesn't have an equipped navy nor airforce that can compare with nigeria. Ivory coast navy has no warships but only has gunboats and their airforce has only 2 fighter jets that are from the 90s. while nigeria's navy has multiple warships and gunboats and the airforce has multiple new fighter jets.

as far as the army, please dont compare. nigeria has about 300 tanks compared to the 15 from the ivory coast. not to mention the human numbers nigeria has.

there is one thing we have in common. . . .the ak47 grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Becomrich12: 3:44pm On Dec 31, 2010
do you know who this is.
Dont think she my wife? she fine abi. she is a french citizen and she is very rich, if they wanted violent, she is very rich to get hireguns and her country can give her the army. french does not want force , if not they would have used thier military. french has a military present in ivory coast with french army .

it tell you, they dont want violent too.

Do you know who this person is really. that is alassane ouattara wife, i wish she was mine. dont laugh. that was a joke.

use diplomatic option.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GAR3TH(m): 3:51pm On Dec 31, 2010
keep dreaming, the french said there only concerned about there citizens. (euronews)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Becomrich12: 3:55pm On Dec 31, 2010
yes, if french wanted to kill gbogbo, they would have done that themself.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Becomrich12: 4:35pm On Dec 31, 2010
i dont think you know the french, gbogbo bomb the french base in ivory about 5 year ago and french bomb gbogbo back inside ivory coast. french does not give a shit4. So if they wanted to shoot gbogbo in his forehead, they would do it themself. they dont care. ok french dont care.

the french are ok with edo,delta and yoruba joining benin republic, they know our history is the same.

French troope even occupied our land while the british were still there. french had troope in some part of yorubaland inside nigeria
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by cheikh: 1:35am On Jan 01, 2011
@Op -- Pls where are War hardened Angolans and perhaps the Zimbabweans?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by cheikh: 2:51am On Jan 01, 2011
Egypt, South-Africa, libya and Algeria may have the best war materials but where is the 'heart' for a long protracted war fare?  modern wars are no longer about Tanks and air force alone. The face of war have changed longtime ago. The Israeli have realised that @ Palestine/Lebanon. The South-Africans(whites) do not have the same kind of 'Apartheid' era motivation and the Black soldiers are nothing to write home about. Libya is practically irrelevant with so much hard ware but not enough personnel. Egypt under Mubarak have so much hardware but I doubt it that they have the motivation/capacity for external warfare like the Iranians probably have. I think Algeria have the motivation/capacity to repel or engage in a protracted  warfare. It's in their psyche.  The Ethiopians despite their relative poverty have the discipline,motivation and heart to fight.They are naturally nationalistic. Nigeria despite the so called good training etc, do not have the nationalistic motivation nor heart to sustain any kind of war. Fighting in Sierra-leone/Liberia under the aegis of Ecowas/UN is different from fighting for 'Nation'/fighting against civilians. It is not the Niger Delta undecided. The test or question is ' can Nigeria defend her borders or pacify her recalcitrant Neighbours effectively? Angola actually have an effective fighting force far more experienced and capable than Nigeria despite the Nigerian 'size'. They have good experience, have learnt a lot from the Cubans during  their civil war/war with the South Africans and during their invasion of DR Congo to effect the overthrow of Mobutu. The Angolans like the Zimbabweans are highly motivated and disciplined. They hardly abuse and kill civilians like the Nigerian troops are known to do even in Sierra Leone. War is not just about equipment and size alone otherwise China would defeat war hardened Vietnam during their short border war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by cheikh: 3:01am On Jan 01, 2011
War is also about hearts and minds and not just about hardware alone cheesy It's best to win without fighting cool
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by KnowAll(m): 3:24am On Jan 01, 2011
Pls where are War hardened Angolans and perhaps the Zimbabweans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwean_Fifth_Brigade

Zimbabwe's dreaded fifth Brigade b4 they were disbanded in the late 1980's was one African's most outstanding fighting Units , but they were disbanded after they brutally crush uprisings in Matebeland in the early 80's leading to over 20,000 civilians death.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2011
KnowAll:

Pls where are War hardened Angolans and perhaps the Zimbabweans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwean_Fifth_Brigade

Zimbabwe's dreaded fifth Brigade b4 they were disbanded in the late 1980's was one African's most outstanding fighting Units , but they were disbanded after they brutally crush uprisings in Matebeland in the early 80's leading to over 20,000 civilians death.

Yes, and the Iraqi Republican Guard was one of the most elite fighting units in the Middle East. Still didn't prevent them from being crushed by the US army in both Gulf Wars.

If that Angolan unit had come up against the South African Defense Force, they'd have been massacred.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 1:03pm On Jan 01, 2011
frosbel:

You know absolutely zippo about the Nigerian military.

I know and understand their limitations better than you can.
You folks can keep thrilling the less educated with footage of 1960s era weaponry. I know how to benchmark and i will not join you people in denial.

Tackle me on any of my points na, abi is the SA-7 not a limited use AA weapon? Is the Vickers Mk3 a match for the T-72 tank? The new fighters we got from China, can they be qualified as 'state-of-the-art'?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.