Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 (18181 Views)

2007 Toyota Avalon or 2007 Toyota Corolla: Which Should I Buy? / The All New 2019 Toyota Avalon Is Full Of Sophistication And Style (photos) / Beware: Flooded Cars From Hurricane Harvey Are Getting Lined Up Already (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by nurey(m): 9:55pm On Nov 07, 2017
Scammer:

How would you say all electrical in the car are completely ruined.
Importation duty for 2016 Avalon is about 3.5m not 2m.

You think a car is scrap because of flood?
No much arguments , Time will tell.

One thing is certain, I can't break the bank to fix the car
And I know I can't spend up to 2m to make it run and rive perfectly.

We will be following you, I didn't say I know it all and I am not negative about your choice, I only gave you my personal opinion which I am entitled to.

Off course carry us along with the repairs not because we want to make fun of you or say I told you so, but it would be a learning phase for some of us. I have also done a research of something identical to what you are doing, so I took my time in responding, wish you all the best

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:33pm On Nov 07, 2017
well in cases like this I will advice you take your time to find a reputable technician who has the skills and boldness this repair work will require.... also calmness too.... I won't recommend anyone....

Scammer:

How would you say all electrical in the car are completely ruined.
Importation duty for 2016 Avalon is about 3.5m not 2m.

You think a car is scrap because of flood?
No much arguments , Time will tell.

One thing is certain, I can't break the bank to fix the car
And I know I can't spend up to 2m to make it run and rive perfectly.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by woodrow(m): 12:47am On Nov 08, 2017
Scammer:
Wow,
Lots of negativity here.
Anyway I was able to find an auto shop that will take care of repairs..

I definitely know what I am getting into. The engine is not hydrolocked, It was flooded, But no start attempt was made.
I know the engine or transmission can't be completely damaged, But one thing is certain, The car is not complete lemon, and it will definitely RUN AND DRIVE PERFECTLY AGAIN, It's not as if the car was covered with water, the water level was slightly above the door.

The engine of the car is a 2gr which is shared along lots of Toyota line up even if engine is to be replaced.
This is a 2016 Toyota Avalon Limited and it doesn't come cheap. this one has only about 3000 miles which is near to brand new.

There's no way I can loose money on the car, i Bought it for a very low price,
And besides It's not coming through tincan , so duty is out of the equation. Duty will be paid in the future.
The car is coming to town with less than 5m.
even if I spend as much as 1.5m on repairs which is not even possible , I can't loose.
i believe many cars flooded during rains in lekki are up and running today,and since it was only to the door part,I believe is shouldn't affect most mechanical parts.

I admire your courage,most Nigerians have so much fear that they hardly wanna try something different from what most people already do.they are afraid to create a different path they prefer to walk in paths that already exist.
No matter the outcome,please update as I am interested.I'll be following.I also believe someone who is patient and knows what he is doing can get this car back to work.
i await your success story.cheers and good luck

6 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Nobody: 2:12am On Nov 08, 2017
Funny lots of people here might even be driving flooded cars and won't know. Some flooded cars cost as less an $150 to fix sometimes.

I think it's a nice gamble if the water level is low the car might just start but check the air filters, oils and plugs.

I ran a Vin for a neighbor he has been driving the car for months not a single issues and it was flooded from Copart and he didn't even know he was just intrigued when he saw me run a Vin for a car I wanted to buy.

OP I hope you really get lucky.

How do you intend to bring the car in from another port if it doesn't run and drive?
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:43am On Nov 08, 2017
a flooded 2003 toyota camry or corrola has 3-5 modules/ECU.

1. Engine/transsmission ecu
2. Airbag ECU
3. (not all cases) ABS module.
4. (not in all cases) Immobilizer
5. A/C module.

To make this examples start, worst case replace engine ecu and imobilizer.

Its not a 1 size fits all.

For a 2017 avalon I do not have specifics on the number of electrical ecus/moduls vehicle is equiped with, but they are a lot. Car will definately start after replacing the right parts.

For flooded cars, the water level and type of water is very important.

Sea water contains high levels of salt, salt is very corrosive and begins a chemical reaction with almost every metal part in the vehicle (incuding wiring)

Fresh water is friendly and not as harmful.

Next is water getting into engine and transmission.

Transmissions are not sealed units, they contain air vents to let out air or excessive fluid. Hopefully the design on this would be a 1 way valve, if not water that can get to door level, will enter tranmission.

Water getting into engine, not a problem, engine is alluminum, just pour a little oil into the bores while rotating and siezure should clear up. (remove sparkplugs while rotating engine)

It is heart breaking to see a modern day car running with christmas lights.

7 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by mayor2013: 10:01am On Nov 08, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
a flooded 2003 toyota camry or corrola has 3 modules/ECU.

1. Engine/transsmission ecu
2. Airbag ECU
3. (not all cases) ABS module.
4. (not in all cases) Immobilizer
5. A/C module.

To make this examples start, worst case replace engine ecu and imobilizer.

Its not a 1 size fits all.

For a 2017 avalon I do not have specifics on the number of electrical ecus/moduls vehicle is equiped with, but they are a lot. Car will definately start after replacing the right parts.

For flooded cars, the water level and type of water is very important.

Sea water contains high levels of salt, salt is very corrosive and begins a chemical reaction with almost every metal part in the vehicle (incuding wiring)

Fresh water is friendly and not as harmful.

Next is water getting into engine and transmission.

Transmissions are not sealed units, they contain air vents to let out air or excessive fluid. Hopefully the design on this would be a 1 way valve, if not water that can get to door level, will enter tranmission.

Water getting into engine, not a problem, engine is alluminum, just pour a little oil into the bores while rotating and siezure should clear up. (remove sparkplugs while rotating engine)

It is heart breaking to see a modern day car running with christmas lights.

Why should it be disheartening when a modern day car runs with Xmas galore lights. They are even more on the increase here in Naija. I still dey look this thread with my full eye balls to the ground. grin

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by LeJeun3: 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2017

I don't believe in the impossible.....

I greet all the elders.

I am a demeanor grin

OP do you intend to just drive the car? U don't plan to enjoy it.....

First module that goes in that car is the entertainment module/amplifier...buy that one and come please. That car without the screen and music playing is no different from Baba Mulika's Datsun

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by ElvishKing: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2017
nurey, you got mail please. Thanks
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by timifakay(m): 3:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
This reminds me of a flooded GLK350 4MATIC, 2011 model.
Car drives but:
Engine has been opened before.
Transmission has been opened before.
Both now have oil leaks all around and owner keeps spare kegs of engine and transmission oil and empty keg for fuel in the trunk.
Fuel gauge stays at half tank when empty.
The only driver door control that works is power windows.
Driver side seat adjustment: disabled. (Control doesn't work again. Module is missing)
Side mirrors adjustment: disabled.
Car has been repainted- color change.

Basically the owner drives the car but doesn't enjoy it.

7 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 4:50pm On Nov 08, 2017
timifakay:
Car drives but:
Both now have oil leaks all around and owner keeps spare kegs of engine and transmission oil and empty keg for fuel in the trunk.
Driver side seat adjustment: disabled. (Control doesn't work again. Module is missing)

When owner was buying at a heavily discounted price, owner knew consequences.....

Does the AC work?

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by timifakay(m): 4:57pm On Nov 08, 2017
Lexusgs430:

When owner was buying at a heavily discounted price, owner knew consequences.....

Does the AC work?
He bought it in Nigeria after it had been fixed; for about 4m I think.
AC works.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2017
timifakay:

He bought it in Nigeria after it had been fixed; for about 4m I think.
AC works.

If AC works, he definitely is enjoying it.... But that N4,000,000 fix tab......

If one factors in cost of purchase + cost to fix + cost of stressed ownership + cost of engine oil + other associated ownership cost = I would rather buy an older example, with no history of flooding......

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by nurey(m): 8:48pm On Nov 08, 2017
Lexusgs430:

If one factors in cost of purchase + cost to fix + cost of stressed ownership + cost of engine oil + other associated ownership cost = I would rather buy an older example, with no history of flooding......

Nansense talk cheesy so you prefer to drive a camry pencil light in good condition than a 2018 flooded camry with Keke napep 2 stroke engine with confirm pomo seats grin

5 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by cyborg123(m): 9:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
nurey:

Nansense talk cheesy so you prefer to drive a camry pencil light in good condition than a 2018 flooded camry with Keke napep 2 stroke engine with confirm pomo seats grin
grin grin
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 9:39pm On Nov 08, 2017
nurey:

For me and my household, the camry pencil would be perfectly perfect...... grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by slimmoney(m): 9:41pm On Nov 08, 2017
i pray this wont be a white elephant project o

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by woodrow(m): 10:33pm On Nov 08, 2017
timifakay:
Car drives but:

this just shows that the people who he took the car to don't know what they are doing.it's obvious they didn't seal the places that were opened properly.Mercedes Benz has a fuel level/pressure sensor,replacing it would have rectified the issue of the fuel guage so also the door and seat modules.you said it yourself,module is missing,its not rocket science to find modules and replace.bottom line is,a bad job was done on that Benz,even if it was not flooded,the people that did such a job would ruin a brand new car and send it to the scrap yard asap.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by timifakay(m): 6:49am On Nov 09, 2017
woodrow:

this just shows that the people who he took the car to don't know what they are doing.it's obvious they didn't seal the places that were opened properly.Mercedes Benz has a fuel level/pressure sensor,replacing it would have rectified the issue of the fuel guage so also the door and seat modules.you said it yourself,module is missing,its not rocket science to find modules and replace.bottom line is,a bad job was done on that Benz,even if it was not flooded,the people that did such a job would ruin a brand new car and send it to the scrap yard asap.
How many of those modules are on sale and at what rate?

I've seen a 2014/ 2015 Camry which has been flooded too all leather seat covering have been changed, car doesn't drive smoothly, AC doesn't work...
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by timifakay(m): 6:57am On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Enjoy fire. Car seat back can't be adjusted. Ever.
The seat can be moved forward and back by removing the foam top and directly connecting battery to the motor on the seat frame... Therefore each time someone with a significant height difference wants to drive, you have to:
Remove battery < get 2 pieces of wire < remove seat top < connect battery to motor and adjust < replace seat top < test if adjustment is good enough < adjust again < replace seat top < replace battery < keep wires for future use.
When traveling, you have to gauge and top transmission oil every 150km or so.

I wish I have a picture of underneath that car's driver seat. It looks like a well concealed IED- a motor, a module, several wires with loose ends.

slimmoney:
i pray this wont be a white elephant project o
It is a white elephant Avalon project, what you can pray for is success without having to break the bank.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 09, 2017
So many follow follow here, even Gazzuzz was scared of being objective so his followers won't be disappointed in him! Car-talk indeed!!!

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by woodrow(m): 8:34am On Nov 09, 2017
timifakay:

How many of those modules are on sale and at what rate?

I've seen a 2014/ 2015 Camry which has been flooded too all leather seat covering have been changed, car doesn't drive smoothly, AC doesn't work...

the reason a flooded car is cheaper is so as not to let the cost of replacement of some parts seem expensive. trying to cut corners for a flooded car is a no no.

Those modules are on sale at worst,one would have to import.(worst case scenario)

as per the Camry,it can be categorised as excessive flooding since it affected even the leather seats.I'm sure the owner feels OK with it since he still drives it around

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by timifakay(m): 8:45am On Nov 09, 2017
woodrow:

the reason a flooded car is cheaper is so as not to let the cost of replacement of some parts seem expensive. trying to cut corners for a flooded car is a no no.

Those modules are on sale at worst,one would have to import.(worst case scenario)

as per the Camry,it can be categorised as excessive flooding since it affected even the leather seats.I'm sure the owner feels OK with it since he still drives it around
@bolded, I beg to differ. The reason it's cheaper is because the insurers know the cost of fixing (OEM parts purchase + Labour) will be more than getting a replacement vehicle. So they replace car for owner and sell off for whatever it earns; having cut their loss.
The seller doesn't care what you do with the vehicle.

The Camry is being driving around by a 'Kazeem/ driver/ brother to owner' looking for solutions to the car's numerous problems. Known and unknown. By the way, it was flooded in Lagos.
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:00am On Nov 09, 2017
I was watching from the sidelines before, I wanted the elders to handle......

its not a follow follow thing, its not also rocket science either... its as simple as it gets.

when embarking on a project, people conduct what we call feasibility study. why?
To ascertain what is obtainable within a specific period of time and with as much efficiency( speed and accuracy) as possible

what is the project at hand? importing a flooded vehicle into the country..... a very recent model at that.

availability of parts, time involved, resources involved, guarantee that car will run and drive fine after all the expenditure.....,. lastly and most importantly..... availability of technical know-how..... the electrician must share in ur passion for the vehicle and must be willing to research and study wiring diagrams for the several modules that will need retouching. one important attribute of such rewire that will be willing to undertake such project is - patience: he must be willing to take his time and study..... nowadays any time spent that doesn't translate accordingly to money is considered as WASTED. only two demeanors I know that fits this category. cc: DIPORTIVO and NUREY

my conclusion, I wouldn't embark on such a project except its for experimentation. And I must have 30billion in the account first of all.

op I admire ur courage and if u have concluded ur research well, keep us abreast with updates ..... as u said earlier, u won't break the bank.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Scammer(m): 10:27am On Nov 09, 2017
Lots Of Hulabaloo here, Let's keep decorum..
Car is meant for my personal use.
If you won't buy a flooded car, Your choice,
Each person is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm buying a Toyota which is a basic vehicle with few modules, the car is a Win Win. If it runs or not.

People bid as high as $40K USD For flooded cars whose real value is between 70-80k Usd.
If you don't buy it someone else will, And i definitely know what i'm getting into.

Do you know the cost a limited avalon with all options ticked?

Like elshanautos mentioned, The car will definitely run and drive perfectly again.
It wasn't submerged or buried in the OCEAN , It's slightly flooded...

Flooded car can be a blessing or a curse.
There are rules.
Make sure they are run and drive,
If it's a non starter, Make sure to know the water level.
Avoid flooded benz or bmw They have more dangerous electronics and modules.

Fingers are crossed, when vehicle arrives In Benin.
It will be inspected and diagnosed there first.

3 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Kjnwancaro: 10:57am On Nov 09, 2017
Please go on with this, just like me, I think you like trying different things out
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:44am On Nov 09, 2017
seconded...
Lexusgs430:

For me and my household, the camry pencil would be perfectly perfect...... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 11:46am On Nov 09, 2017
Scammer:
I'm buying a Toyota which is a basic vehicle with few modules, Spending $12k usd on a brand new 2016 avalon Limited is a Win Win. If it runs or not.

People bid as high as $40K USD For flooded cars whose real value is between 70-80k Usd.
If you don't buy it someone else will, And i definitely know what i'm getting into.

Like elshanautos mentioned, The car will definitely run and drive perfectly again.

There are rules.

You can't tell us all this, and not how much you paid for this gorgeous Avalon at the auction ?
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:49am On Nov 09, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:
seconded...
thirded cool @ op I'd really love to see the turnout of events. challenge peoples philosophy and conquer my brodaman

edit: please for the time being, don't sell anything on nl if u are not a regular dealer, some peeps are already on ur mata naw oh,

cool demeanor4life
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by SmartchoiceNGR: 12:01pm On Nov 09, 2017
I don't understand?

obekediamondfuto:
thirded cool @ op I'd really love to see the turnout of events. challenge peoples philosophy and conquer my brodaman

edit: please for the time being, don't sell anything on nl if u are not a regular dealer, some peeps are already on ur mata naw oh,

cool demeanor4life
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:10pm On Nov 09, 2017
Scammer:
I'm buying a Toyota which is a basic vehicle with few modules, the car is a Win Win. If it runs or not.

There are rules.

I suggest you should leave vehicle in lagos.some parts might be equired that can only be gotten in lagos. Some parts might be used for just testing purposes and returned to seller, some parts might need to be replaced if they do not work. Best place to do that is as close to seller of part as possible. Unless if you intend importing all parts required online.

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:25pm On Nov 09, 2017
luxy44:
So many follow follow here, even Gazzuzz was scared of being objective so his followers won't be disappointed in him! Car-talk indeed!!!

jobs like this do not have a definate time duration. As the parts come, work continues. No parts, no work, car stays.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Volkswagen Set To Retire The Beetles Model In 2019 / Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / This Is What The 2018 Kia Optima Station Wagon Looks Like (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.