Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:59 PM

Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? (6680 Views)

Oya Dab Is Not A Cult Slang, Here Is The Real Meaning / [VIDEO] Timaya – ''I Like The Way'' / How Much Do You Like The Harmonica(mouth Organ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by bkoy: 12:17pm On Mar 19, 2010
2face came out with 'Nothing dey happen', D'banj with 'No long thing', 9ice with 'Lets go there' and so many more i can't even remember now. Whose artist slang do you feel the most?
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
What on earth does 'ginger your swagger' mean?
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2010
You mean do I like Street-word drivel from imbeciles trying to be cool? No. grin That goes for all American artist who is damaging English language.

I mean, what in the name of Jesus is "What it do"? I am disappointed to see people picking up on this crap and using it as the "in thing". Nah wah o.

I prefer my Nigerian Pidgin than all these crap these people try the unthinking masses to say to be honest.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Genuflect(m): 2:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
Gotta be 9ice's 'Let's Gooo There' or Terry G's 'King Kong the King Kong'
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 19, 2010
seriously, does anybody know?
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 7:02pm On Mar 19, 2010
ibkaye:

seriously, does anybody know?

Add ginger to your swagger?

grin
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2010
ElRazur:

grin
Still baffled here, but thanks cheesy
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 7:04pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Topic
It has to be . . .D'banj's 'file . . . don't touch it' grin grin

I like Naeto-C's 'Kini big deal' and Tubaba's 'No long thing' too

ElRazur:

You mean do I like Street-word drivel from imbeciles trying to be cool? No. grin That goes for all American artist who is damaging English language.

I mean, what in the name of Jesus is "What it do"? I am disappointed to see people picking up on this crap and using it as the "in thing". Nah wah o.

I prefer my Nigerian Pidgin than all these crap these people try the unthinking masses to say to be honest.

C'mon stop being overly critical of these guys . . . they're doing what the fans want.
The slangs actually help in putting urban Nigerian culture into music. . . most times it's just words that are already on the streets.

They're putting in catchphrases that are from the streets, same way MJ had 'beat it' . . . I don't hear you saying he committed murder.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 7:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
ElRazur:

grin

It's actually 'ginger your swagger'

Ginger is just a Nigerian-ish slang for 'emphasize', 'heighten' or 'increase'
So it's more like telling everyone to show-off.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Genuflect(m): 7:11pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee, me I don refrain to dey exchange words with El Razur when it comes to all these 'Naija Music Industry' yearns. Each to his own jor
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

Ahh, there it is, thankyou
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 7:24pm On Mar 19, 2010
Genuflect:

eldee, me I don refrain to dey exchange words with El Razur when it comes to all these 'Naija Music Industry' yearns. Each to his own jor

And your point is? Here, add me to your ignore list.  Cheese.  

eldee:

Actually, that was a post aimed at Ibkaye's question.

I am yet to see the link between Ginger and the word emphasize et al.

eldee:

C'mon stop being overly critical of these guys . . . they're doing what the fans want.
The slangs actually help in putting urban Nigerian culture into music. . . most times it's just words that are already on the streets.

They're putting in catchphrases that are from the streets, same way MJ had 'beat it' . . . I don't hear you saying he committed murder.

Critical? Erm okay, I will post less or post exactly what you want.

[b]Beat it [/b]was pretty much an American English phrase if memory serves me right [Or could it be from the English saying "beating round the bush"?] . On top of that, it was very easy to understand what it means, say compare to something like[i] Add baby spice ginger to your swagger[/i].

While some phrase I have no issues with. Phrases like "what it do" are nothing but bastardizing English and my point is that it sucks to see people picking it up and making use of it. I also stated that I will prefer a more Nigerian oriented pidgin approach than what these meaningless phrases we hear about.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 7:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
@topic
I like 'Baraje' grin grin

ElRazur:

Actually, that was a post aimed at Ibkaye's question.

I am yet to see the link between Ginger and the word emphasize et al.

Same way I'm yet to see a link between 'w*nk' and 'masturbation' or 'crack' and 'cocaine'
Different areas adapt English words to suit them . . . it's not a crime.

It's just a word that's been used in Nigeria, before Terry G knew he was going into music.
Language is dynamic . . . especially in informal circles like peer-group discussions, music videos and university hostels.

ElRazur:

Critical? Erm okay, I will post less or post exactly what you want.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be critical, I'm saying you shouldn't trade reason for an attempt to criticize.
You're not doing it for me, you're doing it for you.

ElRazur:

Beat it [/b]was pretty much an American English phrase if memory serves me right [Or could it be from the English saying "beating round the bush"?] . On top of that, it was very easy to understand what it means, say compare to something like[i] Add baby spice ginger to your swagger[/i].
'Ginger' is urban Nigerian English too. . . same way 'Harmattan' is Ghanaian.

'Add baby spice ginger to your swagger' is just a play on words. . . I don't see anything wrong with that.

ElRazur:

While some phrase I have no issues with. Phrases like "what it do" are nothing but bastardizing English and my point is that it sucks to see people picking it up and making use of it. I also stated that I will prefer a more Nigerian oriented pidgin approach than what these meaningless phrases we hear about.

At the end of the day, it's [b]informal
English. . .
We own this one, this is where the lecturers don't control . . . it's a blank dictionary, a pragmatic way to communicate.
Why don't you go join the anti-txtglish campaigners and leave Nigerian English alone.
'Ginger your swagga' is pidgin . . . BTW
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by tosinaded(m): 7:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
ma yin e ni banger

no be small thing

yebariba samboribobo

#itsnaija
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 8:03pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

Same way I'm yet to see a link between 'w*nk' and 'self-service' or 'crack' and 'cocaine'
Different areas adapt English words to suit them . . . it's not a crime.

Good for you. My point remains, I am yet to see a link, surely that is not a crime?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be critical, I'm saying you shouldn't trade reason for an attempt to criticize.
You're not doing it for me, you're doing it for you.
'Ginger' is urban Nigerian English too. . . same way 'Harmattan' is Ghanaian.

Really? Again, may be I should post what you want. God forbid [again] I have my own way of posting?  You damn right, I am doing because it is me. Perhaps you should take a step back a little and quit trying to tell me or suggest what I can and can not?

No Ginger is a borrowed word and not urban Nigerian English.

'Add baby spice ginger to your swagger' is just a play on words. . . I don't see anything wrong with that.

Play of words or not, the meaning is not coming across well - something that should not be so in play of words. While I appreciate you may not see anything wrong with it. I just feel it is almost a meaningless phrase, and in the same class as "What it do nigger" et al.

At the end of the day, it's informal English. . .
We own this one, this is where the lecturers don't control . . . it's a blank dictionary, a pragmatic way to communicate.

So you are saying there is no rule, but try and then when I point out things I disagree with, you flare up? Kai, I have to ginger my swagger at this rate.

Why don't you go join the anti-txtglish campaigners and leave Nigerian English alone.
'Ginger your swagga' is pidgin . . . BTW

I didn't realise you are the defenders of all things Nigerian English. We learn something new everyday. How about you quit trying to tell me what I can and cannot?  

While it may be pidgin, the composition is poor and it makes the meaning almost lost. Surely, it is a poor take on word play, composition etc hence why there is this debate [s]plus the fact that my posts makes you Hot[/s]. grin
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Genuflect(m): 8:15pm On Mar 19, 2010
Naeto C - Yes Boss or YB
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 8:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
ElRazur:

Good for you. My point remains, I am yet to see a link, surely that is not a crime?

Yeah . . . and I'm saying you pointing this out and not that of the Americans is extremely hypocritical.
When we do it . . . it's bad, when they do it . . . it makes the Oxford Advanced learners dictionary with an '[sl]' by the side.

ElRazur:

Really? Again, may be I should post what you want. God forbid [again] I have my own way of posting?  You damn right, I am doing because it is me. Perhaps you should take a step back a little and quit trying to tell me or suggest what I can and can not?

If what you're doing is just a direct effort to ridicule youths of my country who have done no wrong whatsoever, then I do have a right to comment.

ElRazur:

No Ginger is a borrowed word and not urban Nigerian English.

It is a word from English that has long being adapted into pidgin English/informal Nigerian English.
It's been there before Terry G . . . it'll still be used after Terry G.

ElRazur:

Play of words or not, the meaning is not coming across well - something that should not be so in play of words. While I appreciate you may not see anything wrong with it. I just feel it is almost a meaningless phrase, and in the same class as "What it do nigger" et al.

Believe me, it hits perfectly well with most Nigerians. . . wanna hold a poll??
The fact that it doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean shit . . . 'Beat it' before MJ didn't mean anything to the average Nigerian.
'My liver fail me', 'face me I face you', 'Tear you slap' and many phrases like that mean nothing to non-nigerians.

'What it do' is meaningless to you . . . why?? You didn't grow up in Brooklyn.
People adapt language to share a sense of belonging with their social groups, it serves the purpose perfectly.

ElRazur:

So you are saying there is no rule, but try and then when I point out things I disagree with, you flare up? Kai, I have to ginger my swagger at this rate.

Nah, there are rules . . . but those rules are decided by the majority not you sitting on the internet and trying to tell Nigerians how to speak their own language.
Besides, you base your rules on the dictionary, which is the exact system they oppose.

ElRazur:

I didn't realise you are the defenders of all things Nigerian English. We learn something new everyday. How about you quit trying to tell me what I can and cannot?  

Call me Voltron tongue tongue tongue
As I said, quit being overly critical of these guys without any justifiable reason and I won't disturb you.

ElRazur:

While it may be pidgin, the composition is poor and it makes the meaning almost lost. Surely, it is a poor take on word play, composition etc hence why there is this debate [s]plus the fact that my posts makes you Hot[/s]. grin

As I said before, I'm defending Nigerian youths and their freedom to communicate in whatever language they like.
I don't come here to tell you not to use txtglish do I??

Meaning is lost?? Tell that to the guys that use it in everyday speech.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2010
Genuflect:

Naeto C - Yes Boss or YB

I like that one too . . .he's so cool with it too. cheesy cheesy
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by honeric01(m): 8:47pm On Mar 19, 2010
@ElRazur
You no dey tire for argument? undecided

@ post

Nothing do me.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by eldee(m): 8:51pm On Mar 19, 2010
@topic

'Fine tile' grin grin
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 9:04pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

Yeah . . . and I'm saying you pointing this out and not that of the Americans is extremely hypocritical.
When we do it . . . it's bad, when they do it . . . it makes the Oxford Advanced learners dictionary with an '[sl]' by the side.

How can it be hypocritical when in my original post that appears to have touched your nerve made mention of "what it do"?   Please don't make this a "Us and them" issue. Shall we deal with the issue at hand.

If what you're doing is just a direct effort to ridicule youths of my country who have done no wrong whatsoever, then I do have a right to comment.

That is your prerogative, your problem not mine. Next time, perhaps approaching a debate with a more neutral stance is better? I am yet to ridicule anyone like you are saying, but pointing out how a phrase is almost meaningless. But if it rocks your boat, be my guest.

It is a word from English that has long being adapted into pidgin English/informal Nigerian English.
It's been there before Terry G . . . it'll still be used after Terry G.

So you agree it is a borrowed word? That is not so hard to say you see. smiley

Believe me, it hits perfectly well with most Nigerians. . . wanna hold a poll??

Really? Seriously really? Perhaps a true measure is right here - we are having this debate!

The fact that it doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean poo . . . 'Beat it' before MJ didn't mean anything to the average Nigerian.
It can get tiring bickering back and fourth. You brought MJ into it. I do not get your point any more.

'My liver fail me', 'face me I face you', 'Tear you slap' and many phrases like that mean nothing to non-nigerians.

I recognise those and know what they mean. However, the original phrase is almost meaningless. And while they are generated from cross-language translation I really do not see how "Ginger your swagger" can be said to be in the same league as this. A point you appear to be missing.

'What it do' is meaningless to you . . . why?? You didn't grow up in Brooklyn.

That is just one funny post. Here, let me show you. I grew up in Nigeria but then I do not understand the meaning of "Ginger your swagger" or how it arrived at the translation you gave. What does that say about the very phrase you are defending?  shocked It goes back to my stance, it is almost meaningless.

For the record, "what it do" is easier to work out the meaning than "ginger your swagger".

Nah, there are rules . . . but those rules are decided by the majority not you sitting on the internet and trying to tell Nigerians how to speak their own language.

Besides, you base your rules on the dictionary, which is the exact system they oppose.
You suck to be honest. Again you making things up in your head and assuming them as my own stance makes you suck.  
Who is making the rules here? From my post, I haven't made any rules or force my view on anyone. If anything, you are the one who seem to come across as to how people should post and what they can say around here etc. Jeez, you suck.

Before you get in a fit again, here is a little reminder - The phrase is almost meaningless and how you arrived at the translation is just not adding up [Not saying your translation is wrong, but how it was put together to arrive at that is just not clicking]

Call me Voltron
tongue tongue tongue
No, will call you Mandy and spank your arse. I hope that makes you feel better. grin

As I said, quit being overly critical of these guys without any justifiable reason and I won't disturb you.
Last time I checked, it was a public forum.

What do you call a justifiable reason? Gosh, are you me? All these self-ordained missions sucks to be honest. But I guess you work at Dyson and Henry, so it should be expected.

As I said before, I'm defending Nigerian youths and their freedom to communicate in whatever language they like.
I don't come here to tell you not to use txtglish do I??

Do you have the latest Dyson hoover, because this quote of yours sucks real hard. How have I attacked Nigerian youths [Something I am part of] I suppose this is your letting your "do as I say because I am Mandy" is getting the better of you? Omo take a chill pill, back away from the pc for a little while. My only criticism so far have been the use of phrase that is almost meaningless, and not any of those things you are claiming. Nah wah o.

Meaning is lost?? Tell that to the guys that use it in everyday speech.

"Meaning is almost lost", is not the same as "meaning lost" If the play of word is about showing what can be done to show wit etc, then this particular phrase failed hence why I said the "meaning is almost lost". A good word play is Adis Abeba and I diss a baba that was famously used in a diss song. Now the meaning was never lost on anyone in that.

honeric01:

@ElRazur
  You no dey tire for argument? undecided

Sorry, but na jeje I post. But  my post is perceived as looking for trouble. With little emphasis on what am actually saying.

Do I get tired? No one likes to bicker, but sometimes you have to do so.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Genuflect(m): 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2010
eldee:

@topic

'Fine tile' grin grin
You beat me to it. Lol. But mine was Terry G - Tile Tile
D'banj - It's Don Jazzy again. This clause is like a disease now. Now everybody that works with Don Jazzy has to say it
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 19, 2010
"Do me I do you"

"Ifoti feli feli"
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by tavarez(f): 9:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
emmm i caught this thread Late but Eldee Ginger ur Swagger Simply Means one thing, It means GET HIGH,SMOKE SOMETHING,DRINK UP,"Ginger" Like to Hype ,Enhance,Modify wen dey say Ginger You Swagger ,he means take some thing thatll Hype up your Steps .,Or modify ur walk cuz A Lot of Boys in Lagos take Swagger To mean the way u Walk or the way u move  like " Don Jazzy Get Swagger Joo" that kinda thing,

WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE

#nowplaying MI feat 2 face -Nobody
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by chinesedoll(f): 9:35pm On Mar 19, 2010
Kokolette,Kini big deal,  Mogbono feli feli cool cool cool
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by coolguyz(m): 9:39pm On Mar 19, 2010
file - D Banj

baraje - Ruggedman

we run things. . . .things dnt run we - P Square

jooor oooo - Da Grin

yes oooo - 2baba

o ma run-down ni - D Banj
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by bkoy: 10:00pm On Mar 19, 2010
what about Terry G's sile sile, its kinda cool too.
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by chinesedoll(f): 10:19pm On Mar 19, 2010
Ofokasibe, O ma run down
I just like to hear people say them, not like I say them wink wink wink
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Mudley313: 3:43am On Mar 20, 2010
I mean, what in the name of Jesus is "What it do"?  I am disappointed to see people picking up on this crap and using it as the "in thing". Nah wah o.

the slang "wat it do" is one dats been uttered in the streets b4 rappers started using it. yea, its bad/incorrect english, but so is nigerian pidgin dat u profess to prefer. every man wit e own

n u say u prefer pidgin n dont even know the word ginger, a regular pidgin slang used way b4 musicians adopted it. u need to pay the city of warri a visit to update on ur pidgin vocab if pidgin na really wetin u prefer, as u so proclaim
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by ElRazur: 8:53am On Mar 20, 2010
I am not gonna argue this morning, but it may be worth mentioning that in my years of listening to hiphop, "what it do" is not a phrase that I will say it is frequently used or I have come across in the past 10 years or so. It is only recently that it appears more and more people are using it.

I grew up in the following places - Kano, Kaduna, Abuja, Lokoja, Ilorin, Ekiti, Lagos - so my Pidgin is as diverse as you can get. I learnt more in Pidgin in Lokoja than any other place.

You may have missed my point which is I dislike the almost meaningless phrases that is used, but I will however pick Pidgin [Naija/W.Africa one] any time [For good reasons].

It will be nice to visit warri, passed through a few times but will like to leave there for a little time. smiley
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by Genuflect(m): 9:02am On Mar 20, 2010
Terry G - Free Me!! Rite Now
Re: Who's Celebrity Slang Do You Like The Most? by honeric01(m): 10:26am On Mar 20, 2010
ElRazur:

Sorry, but na jeje I post. But  my post is perceived as looking for trouble. With little emphasis on what am actually saying.

Do I get tired? No one likes to bicker, but sometimes you have to do so.

Uhm, ok, keep it up, i can argue but not on anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ondo Hip Hop Artiste Dedicates Song To GMB; Ajakaye "Sai Buhari" / How Can Upcoming Artiste Make Money From Their Singles/songs In Nigeria ? / Beyonce's New Album B-day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.