Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,015 members, 7,806,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce (9014 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Modify NIN Data - How Doing It Via Self-service Tool / To the Customer who abandoned his Money with me, pls come and collect your money / Exposition Of Two Fear Inducing Events In Nigerian E-commerce By Sunday Folayan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 05, 2017
As e-commerce continues grows in Nigeria, a new challenge has emerged in how to efficiently execute returns and manage failed deliveries.

It’s the latest challenge for e-commerce platforms of all sizes in Nigeria that have free return policies similar to major players like Amazon in more advanced markets. But many struggles with taking steps to handle the process.

WhatsApp is helping businesses overcome the trust barrier that hampers e-commerce growth in Nigeria.

Jumia, one of the biggest e-commerce players in Nigeria, phones up individual customers that want to return products and offers them the option of keeping the ordered products and receiving shopping voucher of the amount spent.

As e-commerce continues grows in Nigeria, a new challenge has emerged in how to efficiently execute returns and manage failed deliveries.

But the rival online store, Konga recently introduced a feature that allows merchants to contact potential buyers via WhatsApp. While the company is yet to issue an official statement on the new feature, founder, Sim Shagaya, has suggested on social media the moving part of the bigger strategic move. Konga has already informed its merchants about the new WhatsApp feature via the Konga Community.

In a post on how sellers can use WhatsApp, Konga Community moderator, Teju Fola-Alade told merchants the new feature will assist in the handling after-sales issues.

“With WhatsApp as an additional touch point for you, you can constantly create a positive experience for your customers,” she said.

Though Nigeria’s consumer retail sector is still relatively underdeveloped, investors have helped build an e-commerce sector which is Africa’s biggest valued at $13 billion by some estimates and growing by 25% annually. E-commerce startups in the country have raised tens of millions of dollars to expand and overcome infrastructure problems and logistical challenges in their attempt to convince more Nigerians to shop online.

Not just e-commerce

Konga’s experiment is not the only one in Nigeria as WhatsApp has become popular among SMEs—particularly those without an online presence. Chinedu Uzodinma’s Ibadan-based HurryCane Fashion Store is one of them; he said he is using WhatsApp to push sales.

“If you look around this Ekotedo market very well, you will see that there are tons of people selling the same thing that I’m selling. We often fight over whose shop a customer enters but this is no longer as prominent as before because we all have streams of customers via WhatsApp,” he said.

Uzodinma says all he does now is to chat with interested customers over WhatsApp about his latest products, send pictures and discuss price and delivery.

KCreations, a budding branding startup, says WhatsApp has made it possible for business owners to overcome the trust barrier that had slowed the growth of the e-commerce sector in Nigeria as alluded to by some of the e-commerce major players. KCreation’s CEO, Kayla Ruth said her customers are much less reluctant to pay before service after chatting with them.

“I think this is probably because we are not asking for their card details. We don’t need to do that since it is very easy to transfer money digitally these days, says Ruth. “I’ve also noticed customers will rest assured when they know they can reach me after they’ve made payment and until they’ve received the products they ordered. This is something that appears to be missing on the big e-commerce platforms.”

For local developers, the fact business owners can do business online (via WhatsApp) without conventionally going online via the open internet has created an array of new challenges. Their pitches often included web chat features for e-commerce websites. But with real-time conversations made possible and easier via WhatsApp, it is difficult to promise a service that will be better than what the client is already used to.

“We know that mobile is the future, we just didn’t see WhatsApp as a potent threat to web development,” said Chris Ayoade, a Nigerian web developer.

While Nigeria’s communications regulator and the mobile operators have to date not revealed the details of the most popular mobile apps in the country, there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest WhatsApp is easily one of the widely used apps in Nigeria. WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, has been a thorn in the side of local mobile operators who have privately complained it is eating into their voice and SMS revenue. In Zimbabwe, WhatsApp alone accounts for nearly half of all internet traffic in the country.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/whatsapp-is-becoming-the-customer-service-tool-of-choice-for-nigerian-e-commerce/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 06, 2017
another good innovative way to relate with customers.
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by rodeo0070(m): 6:58am On Nov 06, 2017
Nice!
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 06, 2017
True
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by oyetunder(m): 7:24am On Nov 06, 2017
Good...

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by JoshMedia: 7:24am On Nov 06, 2017
Yes na
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by heisenbergheise(m): 7:26am On Nov 06, 2017
Nice write up
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by autotrader014(m): 7:26am On Nov 06, 2017
oyetunder:
Good...

What should we do with this? undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by IMASTEX: 7:29am On Nov 06, 2017
Cool
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by itiswellandwell: 7:30am On Nov 06, 2017
Whatsapp all the way.

Check my signature for your quality customised Atm card flash drive as ideal souvenir for your clients this Xmas and new year
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by adedayourt(m): 7:34am On Nov 06, 2017
The update dats gonna shoot whatsap beyond d sky is increase d number of its possible group member just like telegram.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by temmypotter(m): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2017
autotrader014:

abeg help us ask am o
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Felixalex(m): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2017
oyetunder:
Good...

Wetin concern dis pic with the topic
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by nelsonB: 7:36am On Nov 06, 2017
autotrader014:

Abeg ask am well
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by HRtechnique: 7:36am On Nov 06, 2017
Anyone here has any experience with JumiaFood?
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by polonium: 7:40am On Nov 06, 2017
Need Ecommerce website? Visit this link now, we offer good quality, mobile friendly site at a cheaper rate..( If you don't have any business idea, we guide and coach you till you start selling )
https://www.nairaland.com/3861673/start-e-commerce-busness-now-make

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Damdeyz(m): 7:41am On Nov 06, 2017
autotrader014:

I Was WOndering Too, Guess It's His Beloved.
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by money121(m): 7:41am On Nov 06, 2017
HOW TO MAKE MONEY BY INTRODUCING US TO BUILDERS OR DIRECT OWNERS OF THE HOUSE!!!

✔ Do you have a smart phone or tablet ?
✔ Then you can make money with us .
✔ making legitimate money is easy , but the challenge is knowing how .

I own a company which is into Roofing Sheet( Aluminium,Stone Coated,Rain Gutters)
we work anywhere in this country and we are doing good.

We have a new strategy that would help us drive sales and also put money in your pocket.

✔ DO YOU KNOW ANYONE BUILDING A HOUSE AROUND YOU AND THE BUILDING @ ROOFING STAGE?
✔ INTRODUCE US TO THEM AND GET PAID REASONABLY.
✔ JUST TELL THEM ABOUT WHAT WE DO
✔ SHOW THEM PICTURES OF OUR JOBS
✔ GIVE THEM OUR CONTACT INFO

CALL/ WHATSAPP 08085310359
EMAIL: Engr.ayyub@gmail.com

For more information, Check out Our Thread on Nairaland : https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

Kindly promote us by sharing this post. share it now!!
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Damdeyz(m): 7:43am On Nov 06, 2017
I Love Whatsapp Especially The Entrepreneurial And Agro-prenuer Groups, Profited A Lot From Them. Thumbs Up.
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by ikaboy: 7:46am On Nov 06, 2017
oyetunder:
Good...

Drop whatsapp contact for follow up..
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 06, 2017
WhatsApp for business is currently in beta mode
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by eluquenson(m): 7:54am On Nov 06, 2017
Okay
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by adeoba2008(m): 7:55am On Nov 06, 2017
Learn more about e-commerce and e-business as well as Digital Marketing @ www.crmnigeria.com
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by wildchild02: 8:08am On Nov 06, 2017
Nice one

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by kokomaster3d: 8:20am On Nov 06, 2017
i prefer Telegram
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Estimable(m): 8:27am On Nov 06, 2017
Felixalex:

Wetin concern dis pic with the topic
She's marketing her self

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by registration(m): 8:29am On Nov 06, 2017
Cool
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by azbaba(m): 8:47am On Nov 06, 2017
kokomaster3d:
i prefer Telegram

Telegram ke. That 1 way u can change username any time u want
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by Ibbravo(m): 9:16am On Nov 06, 2017
Damdeyz:
I Love Whatsapp Especially The Entrepreneurial And Agro-prenuer Groups, Profited A Lot From Them. Thumbs Up.

What group pls? may be i could join
Re: Whatsapp Is Becoming The Customer Service Tool Of Choice For Nigerian E-commerce by francescainnoce(f): 9:17am On Nov 06, 2017
I’m very interested with this topic and the subject area in general. Dear @op, are you familiar with this subject and/or, is it your area of academic concern. Please kindly DM if yes. Will like to talk to you

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have Old Schnapp Bottle For Sale At A Very Good Price.. / How Do I Convert Airtime To Cash?? / Starting A Pigry Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.