Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,803 members, 7,802,565 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1298591 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:49am On Jun 21, 2018
Rubyventures:

Nothing wrong, you recommended a bigger hotel room alright. grin grin The only mistake you made is not asking him what his budget was.
Did he mention money was a limiting factor? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by MrBigiman: 11:05am On Jun 21, 2018
How much can a post Plab2 doctor rake home after tax. I am almost done with Naija and would need ur input.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 11:38am On Jun 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Did he mention money was a limiting factor? grin

You are right he didn't . grin grin Well if he is willing to pay the equivalent of one month flat rent to spend a night at the Dorchester that's even before they add on the service charges. Then no problem.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:27pm On Jun 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Somebody was told all the hotels in the UK have small rooms that cannot fit their luggage, what is bad in recommending the one with bigger rooms that would definitely fit like these ones https://www.dorchestercollection.com/en/london/the-dorchester/rooms-suites/

Park suite for me pls..... One year block booking, payment in cash in advance.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:30pm On Jun 21, 2018
MrBigiman:
How much can a post Plab2 doctor rake home after tax. I am almost done with Naija and would need ur input.

Look at £50/75 per hour ..... Depending on route of employment + how hard you are willing to work....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 2:11pm On Jun 21, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Look at £50/75 per hour ..... Depending on route of employment + how hard you are willing to work....
i laugh in swahili.... 50/75 after tax?!!... It is 40-50/hr locum before tax... And locums don't give CoS
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2018
Ps dear house, I want to know why health care assistant workers are not really paid well in the UK, despite there are the ones that does almost all the work at the hospital, their salary is very low, £8 per hour and monthly take home is £1,200, which is £15,000 annual for permanent staff why agency earns higher
How can one survive with this salary after paying rent? Very bad. How can a family who are not on any benefit manage this? I am still wondering.

Ps house how can a health care assistant improve his/her chances of getting a better offer for salary increment and how can one improve to better position in the health care job. Ps I really will like to know .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:50pm On Jun 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:
i laugh in swahili.... 50/75 after tax?!!... It is 40-50/hr locum before tax... And locums don't give CoS

Your figure is not too far, and it's highly dependent employer + location.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:53pm On Jun 21, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
Ps dear house, I want to know why health care assistant workers are not really paid well in the UK, despite there are the ones that does almost all the work at the hospital, their salary is very low, £8 per hour and monthly take home is £1,200, which is £15,000 annual for permanent staff why agency earns higher
How can one survive with this salary after paying rent? Very bad. How can a family who are not on any benefit manage this? I am still wondering.

Ps house how can a health care assistant improve his/her chances of getting a better offer for salary increment and how can one improve to better position in the health care job. Ps I really will like to know .

Improve salary structure by either training as an RGN or work only with/through agencies....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 4:26pm On Jun 21, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Improve salary structure by either training as an RGN or work only with/through agencies....

Thanks for y response
How can one train as RGN without having a degree in nursing? Can one just get only training as RGN without a degree? Ps kindly put me through because most nurses said they had a degree which is very expensive, if one can not afford the fee what can one do to become a nurse ps?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:32pm On Jun 21, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Thanks for y response
How can one train as RGN without having a degree in nursing? Can one just get only training as RGN without a degree? Ps kindly put me through because most nurses said they had a degree which is very expensive, if one can not afford the fee what can one do to become a nurse ps?

Your best route is to undertake an access to nursing course at any college (some colleges offer financial support), which gets written off if one proceeds to undertake a nursing degree.

An apprenticeship scheme to nursing is also on the cards, they are still working on the finer details. It is a 4/5 years program, but upon graduation one becomes an RGN..

No pain..... No gain..... You would have to invest in yourself, to increase your earning potential.....

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Thanks for y response

Expensive is relative..... The government provides the student loan (student finance) + fees also gets paid. But one would be in debt to the tune of £58,000 and debt does not get paid off if one does not earn enough or ports out....

All the above is obviously subject to qualifying candidates (before someone quotes me again).......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Expensive is relative..... The government provides the student loan (student finance) + fees also gets paid. But one would be in debt to the tune of £58,000 and debt does not get paid off if one does not earn enough or ports out....

All the above is obviously subject to qualifying candidates (before someone quotes me again).......
Choi!!! All this just to become a nurse? How much to study medicine? No wonder there's a shortage of nurses. If I be Briton I go just come naija come study nursing and return back after spending 5+x years in naija university.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2018
sutelk:

Choi!!! All this just to become a nurse? How much to study medicine? No wonder there's a shortage of nurses. If I be Briton I go just come naija come study nursing and return back after spending 5+x years in naija university.

That is the Ijebu in you talking........

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2018
sutelk:

They are not training enough nurses, but also considering those quiting practice, retiring, porting after training.

The shortage is inevitable.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:33am On Jun 22, 2018
Loving this forum day by day. Very helpful. U guys rock!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:42am On Jun 22, 2018
Lexusgs430:

An apprenticeship scheme to nursing is also on the cards, they are still working on the finer details. It is a 4/5 program, but upon graduation one becomes an RGN..

No pain..... No gain..... You would have to invest in yourself, to increase your earning potential.....

Thanks for this tips. Ps I will like to know how one can enroll for the apprenticeship scheme when they finalize it, is it from your work place u will be informed or one keep making enquiries on it? Ps any information u get about it kindly let me know. Moreso does one pay for this apprenticeship scheme? I will really like to know more on it ps. Thanks for your time
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:35am On Jun 22, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Thanks for this tips. Ps I will like to know how one can enroll for the apprenticeship scheme when they finalize it, is it from your work place u will be informed or one keep making enquiries on it? Ps any information u get about it kindly let me know. Moreso does one pay for this apprenticeship scheme? I will really like to know more on it ps. Thanks for your time

The apprenticeship scheme is free and you would get paid about £140 pw, for the entire duration of the scheme.

You would have to listen out for details (if I find any updates, would mention you).....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 12:55pm On Jun 22, 2018
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2018
Lexusgs430:

The apprenticeship scheme is free and you would get paid about £140 pw, for the entire duration of the scheme.

You would have to listen out for details (if I find any updates, would mention you).....

Thanks @Lexusgs430. Ps keep me informed or inbox me on any updates.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 22, 2018
Good day house, permit me to ask this here. Is it possible to apply for a US visit visa and have the interview in the UK while on a Tier 2 visa?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2018
Yes you can, so long as you have your BRP. See details here https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/required-documents/
Frenchfriez:
Good day house, permit me to ask this here. Is it possible to apply for a US visit visa and have the interview in the UK while on a Tier 2 visa?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 23, 2018
nomad26:
Yes you can, so long as you have your BRP. See details here https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/required-documents/
Thanks alot pal. I take it BRP means British Residence Permit
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:26am On Jun 23, 2018
Frenchfriez:

Thanks alot pal. I take it BRP means British Residence Permit

Oui.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 12:54pm On Jun 23, 2018
Okuhoc:

To the glory of God, I got my passport today with 3 years tier 2 visa. I took the IELTS for ukvi, passed. Did my biometrics at Ikeja on June 8, using walk in and priority. Got my passport today, decision was made June 18 that's 7 working days.
Thank God my priority payment wasn't in vain but Ikeja show me pepper for walk in, walk in turned to stand out, they didn't attend to us until after all those on appointment had been attended to. Well all is well that ends well, decision was made on the day I would have had my appointment if I didn't use walk in.
Those UK people have chopped my money plenty, I must retaliate when I land UK, not coming there to count bridge.
Thanks to all that contributed to my matter.

We are in the same boat bro. I made the same IELTS mistake, the last one month has been the most depressing of my entire life, I was just waiting for someone to wake me up from that bad dream, but boy it was not a dream oh, it was reality, my tier 2 Visa application was refused for failing to meet the English language requirement. But thank God its all over now, got my visa on Thursday on my second attempt, with serious financial injury but lessons have been learnt the hard way.
Actually I have myself to blame, cos I actually saw the link for IELTS for ukvi and I chose the normal IELTS general, because the next available date for ukvi IELTS was too far for me, I opted for the closest IELTS general which was in calabar flew from Lagos to calabar for the exam passed and felt happy with myself, made my visa application and started counting my days in naija.
I got my passport back sometime in may and it was God that kept me from jumping off 3rd mainland bridge. What made my case so bad was that one oga in my office that I used as referee went yo share testimony for me in the office that I got a job in UK. so everybody was waiting for me to take off in June. When my visa was declined the news that went out was that I failed English exam, it was a very depressing period in my life.
Thankfully my UKNARIC certificates that got misplaced by NIPOST suddenly reappeared. I picked myself up, contacted my employer to shift resumption date, raised another 800k+ and reapplied this time using UKNARIC, didn't even have the cash for walk in or priority, just used standard and got a decision in about 11 working days.
One of the lessons I learnt is that if ur right hand gets a job abroad don't even let your left hand know, man is wicked, some are just waiting to hear that you have been put to shame and such people abound in my office. They won't even see my face there again, I have applied for my leave, they think I just went to hide my face, but the next thing they will see is my resignation, nobody will even know I have Left, all their calls go just de enter voicemail. Maybe all this happened to expose those that don't wish me well, but God pass them. Make I go arrange my load.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Yinkzy03: 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2018
sutelk:

We are in the same boat bro. I made the same IELTS mistake, the last one month has been the most depressing of my entire life, I was just waiting for someone to wake me up from that bad dream, but boy it was not a dream oh, it was reality, my tier 2 Visa application was refused for failing to meet the English language requirement. But thank God its all over now, got my visa on Thursday on my second attempt, with serious financial injury but lessons have been learnt the hard way.
Actually I have myself to blame, cos I actually saw the link for IELTS for ukvi and I chose the normal IELTS general, because the next available date for ukvi IELTS was too far for me, I opted for the closest IELTS general which was in calabar flew from Lagos to calabar for the exam passed and felt happy with myself, made my visa application and started counting my days in naija.
I got my passport back sometime in may and it was God that kept me from jumping off 3rd mainland bridge. What made my case so bad was that one oga in my office that I used as referee went yo share testimony for me in the office that I got a job in UK. so everybody was waiting for me to take off in June. When my visa was declined the news that went out was that I failed English exam, it was a very depressing period in my life.
Thankfully my UKNARIC certificates that got misplaced by NIPOST suddenly reappeared. I picked myself up, contacted my employer to shift resumption date, raised another 800k+ and reapplied this time using UKNARIC, didn't even have the cash for walk in or priority, just used standard and got a decision in about 11 working days.
One of the lessons I learnt is that if ur right hand gets a job abroad don't even let your left hand know, man is wicked, some are just waiting to hear that you have been put to shame and such people abound in my office. They won't even see my face there again, I have applied for my leave, they think I just went to hide my face, but the next thing they will see is my resignation, nobody will even know I have Left, all their calls go just de enter voicemail. Maybe all this happened to expose those that don't wish me well, but God pass them. Make I go arrange my load.
Congratulations bro...funny @ the lesson learnt.

One quick question, do you buy a one way ticket on this type of visa?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2018
sutelk:

Lol @lesson learnt. Congratulations everything happens for a reason and with God's timing, Dre are so many what ifs, but thank God you did not give in to the pressure oo. The greatest battle may have been won but this is life more will still come but you have God so you will be fine.

All the best. @yinkzy03 one way visa is good with Tier 2 visa, unless u plan going back home soon sha then it may be cost effective
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:25pm On Jun 23, 2018
Pls house, when applying for a visitors visa for a sibling ( student awaiting nysc) how can I make sure I package the application to details so as to reduce the chances of refusal.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Yinkzy03: 7:18pm On Jun 23, 2018
fatima04:

Lol @lesson learnt. Congratulations everything happens for a reason and with God's timing, Dre are so many what ifs, but thank God you did not give in to the pressure oo. The greatest battle may have been won but this is life more will still come but you have God so you will be fine.

All the best. @yinkzy03 one way visa is good with Tier 2 visa, unless u plan going back home soon sha then it may be cost effective

Thanks very much @fatima
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by veleta: 8:17pm On Jun 23, 2018
Good evening guys.Please,how long does it take for Dvla to verify BRP and Passport for Provisional Licence.I intend to travel 3rd week in July so want to be sure it would be returned before that period.Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 12:16am On Jun 24, 2018
veleta:
Good evening guys.Please,how long does it take for Dvla to verify BRP and Passport for Provisional Licence.I intend to travel 3rd week in July so want to be sure it would be returned before that period.Thanks

2-3 weeks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
sutelk:

Congrats bro!

I was having this kind of conversation yesterday..Not telling her 'friends her travelling routine or new job or any good news...my friend said its becos of Oyinbo thinking...I really want to understand this...Do you honestly believe someone was responsible for this....what was in effect your own mistake
Actually I have myself to blame, cos I actually saw the link for IELTS for ukvi and I chose the normal IELTS general, because the next available date for ukvi IELTS was too far for me

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.