Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In (9345 Views)

Dino Melaye Thanks Goodluck Jonathan For Completing 85% Of Abuja Light Rail / Ex-ministers Angry With Jonathan For ‘abandoning’ Them With EFCC / UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:29am On Nov 07, 2017
The United Nations has commended former President Goodluck Jonathan for the electoral reforms he initiated during his tenure, and for the good works he has been doing to promote peace and stability in Africa.

In extolling Jonathan’s achievements, the UN prayed that the institutions he built and the high standards he established in organising credible and peaceful elections are maintained and sustained in Nigeria. The global organisation made this known during a courtesy call onJonathan last weekend by a delegation led by Ambassador Mohamed Ibn Chambas, the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for West Africa and the Sahel, and Chairman of theCameroon-Nigeria Mixed Commission (CNMC).

Speaking of the 2015 general elections, Chambas who was accompanied by the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative Mr. Edward Kallon, commended ex-President Jonathan’s roles in stemming the tide of agitations which threatened Nigeria’s unity ahead of the elections.

He said: “What we noticed in 2015 was that there was a display of maturity in the way the elections were handled. There was hardly any major incident between the then ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC). The problems were mostly internal to parties.”

According to him, the delegation came to express their appreciation to Jonathan for the good works he has been doing to promote democracy, peace, and stability in Africa, adding that the ex-President “still continues to do good with his decision to serve as the leader of one of the election observation missions to the forthcoming presidential run-off in Liberia.”

Chambas further told the former President that the UN was seeking his support to ensure the success of a scheduled all party stakeholders forum similar to the inter-party peace forum which held under the Jonathan Administration.

In his response, former President Jonathan commended Chambas and his team for the initiative and congratulated the special envoy for moving up to a higher platform, after serving as the President of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Ex-President Jonathan also commended the UN for its support in election processes in West Africa and in all of Africa, adding that the efforts of ECOWAS leaders had ensured that West Africa had remained relatively peaceful.

He said further: “First let me welcome you and your team. I believe this is a familiar environment for you because you had been with us inmECOWAS. I am happy that you have now gone higher than the ECOWAS level. Let me also, through you and your team, commend what the UN is doing in terms of its proactive approach in sanitising election processes in Africa.”

Jonathan also noted that electoral processes in Nigeria were getting better compared to what it was in the Second Republic when widespread irregularities forced the military to topple elected civilian leaders.
The former President further made a case for credible elections in Africa stressing that tensions arising from poorly conducted elections and other leadership issues are at the heart of most crises on the continent.

“Elections must be credible. They must not just be free and fair but must be seen to be transparent and credible. That way peace will reign and sustainable development can take place”
Jonathan reiterated his belief in peace and credible election processes, saying that peaceful power transfers remain one of the main focus of the Goodluck Jonathan Foundation. He also expressed his readiness to encourage and work with the envoy to achieve its mandate in the area of peace.
Ex-President Jonathan stated further that democracy seemed to have stabilised in some African countries including Ghana, South Africa, and Nigeria.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/11/07/un-commends-jonathan-for-electoral-reforms-lauds-his-role-in-promoting-peace-in-africa/

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 6:29am On Nov 07, 2017
The only thing I hate about Jonathan was that he never did anything for his own town, going about working for the north thinking they will vote him back since can work for his people. Today the whole of Niger Delta is suffering as a result of that poor decision. Now go to bayelsa today, even his village is not spared.

As for peace, economy and freedom of speech he did perfectly well

Morale: Try work for your native home, cause when you no longer in power, you will retire home.

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Neutral15(m): 6:31am On Nov 07, 2017
Just this single act covered all your sins grin
I really commend you for that because many souls would have been lost

Buhari please follow suit so we could forget all your sins. grin

Thunder strike any 2019 candidate with sinister motive

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by raker300: 6:34am On Nov 07, 2017
Sarki and co right now

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by frank202012: 6:34am On Nov 07, 2017
the man of peace.....

13 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by AnodaIT(m): 7:17am On Nov 07, 2017
My hero

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by sarrki(m): 7:21am On Nov 07, 2017
raker300:
Sarki and co right now

You are wrong on this issue I stand with Gej

On governing I differ

On corruption I can't tolerate

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by NigerDeltan(m): 7:24am On Nov 07, 2017
grin

This is the kind of news that will make Buhari's Efcc to discover $300bn in his account

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:29am On Nov 07, 2017
NigerDeltan:
grin

This is the kind of news that will make Buhari's Efcc to discover $300bn in his account
I don sabi am por this gobamenti pinish walahi smiley

37 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by sarrki(m): 7:32am On Nov 07, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
I don sabi am por this gobernment pinish smiley

Sociopath will never see anything in their country

All they see and say is doom
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Obijulius: 7:51am On Nov 07, 2017
This picture makes me want to weep for Nigeria.

But I hold back my tears, Nigeria is d devil's den. I pity all the innocents in that hellhole who are yet to make it out.

AnodaIT:
My hero

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by baralatie(m): 7:59am On Nov 07, 2017
NigerDeltan:
grin

you know lie

11 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by raker300: 8:24am On Nov 07, 2017
sarrki:

On governing I differ

alert never show for last month..? cheesy

62 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by lonecatt(m): 8:45am On Nov 07, 2017
Jonathan will forever be remembered as a peace loving human ,while buhari will forever be remembered as a tyrant and blood sucking mammal.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by dodelight(m): 9:08am On Nov 07, 2017
Yea! True Heroes never die!

8 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 07, 2017
okay.
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by TheKingIsHere: 10:25am On Nov 07, 2017
Whom God has blessed, no man can curse.

GEJ is highly appreciated and blessed, no matter how Buhari and his apc goons try to paint him bad.

Buhari is a curse to this country called Nigeria. angry

10 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by BornAgainMay: 10:25am On Nov 07, 2017
*My political ambition doesn't wort the blood of any Nigerian*

That was the statement that utterly changed Nigerian politics.

17 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 07, 2017
My mentor cool

GEJ!

7 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by XXLDICK(m): 10:25am On Nov 07, 2017
The only achievement of the ineffectual Buffon all his time as a public office holder is conceding victory.
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 07, 2017
Amazing Jonathan

8 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 07, 2017
sarrki:

On governing I differ
God bless you Chief Sarrki for this. Always on point.
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Oildichotomy(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2017
Any news concerning GEJ generates enough traffic from both sides of the divide i.e the Zombies and Wailers.

That should count for something regardless. Live and let's live
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by InwehAkpevwe(m): 10:27am On Nov 07, 2017
Yet one prof is stil blaming him 4 their cluelessness.
#GODBLESSGEJ

3 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by UbanmeUdie: 10:27am On Nov 07, 2017
shocked

There is no doubt whatsoever that GEJ has inscribed his name with a permanent golden ink in the annals of history both in Nigeria & globally for that singular act of his in 2015, to have embraced his loss in the presidential elections in good fate.

I will stand on the fragile head of Buhari to sing the praises of GEJ day & night!

GEJ was too much of a human than an animal, that was why he could not tame corrupt office holders in his time.

He is simply a gentle man with noble leadership traits.

7 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Paperwhite(m): 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
Ndi
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by xcolanto(m): 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
I love Johnathan! A true hero of African democracy

5 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by younglleo: 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by PointZerom: 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
This is what Buhari will be remembered for.

8 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Paperwhite(m): 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
Ndi Sai Baba them over to unu

1 Like

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by Englishgold: 10:28am On Nov 07, 2017
Example of a good leader? Answer :Goodluck Jonathan

6 Likes

Re: UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In by vaca1: 10:29am On Nov 07, 2017
i designed this app for the love i have for the Mavin songs. Download and get the latest from Mavin. Also in the App you can listen foreign Hip Hop.

check it out
[url=https://z-p3-cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/22553960_10214846504499930_2298166554036011008_n.apk/app-release.apk?efg=eyJlZiI6WyJEVCIsIlpSIl19&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEUDZp1Za0IXIxa73LXbne2_s-i0yuX8sOKvtGCpNDwhKSYqE4ScIBQ2fe0Lev4jtU7fMuaCElQpfKkncYp-GRhez5XmEHAfbpKao_1FUIFIEfU9gOzRgNUcGHFbcd_HGA&oh=0017a0e5a541b7f33f07346286b4ac59&oe=5A00DA60&dl=1]Download Here[/url]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Concession 6 Hydro Power Generation Assets / Timi Frank Calls For INEC Chairman’s Resignation / Breaking: Australian Govt Gives Nnamdi Kanu Free License To Operate Radio Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.