Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:59 PM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15002 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 20, 2010
I have noticed with many comments here on Nairaland  , that Nigerians in Diaspora tend to get insulted , abused and maligned when making comments that do not fit into the perspective of some Nairalanders.

Insults start flying around such as :

'go back to your one room rented apartment '

'go back to your beat'

' has your visa expired'

'when were you last home'

and a barage of more graphic abuse.

I have set up a poll to understand why such anger and hatred is channelled towards us Nigerians who are very hardworking and live abroad hoping to make a positive contribution to our country .

What are your thoughts ?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by snowdrops(m): 12:46pm On Mar 20, 2010
Jealousy plain and simple
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ziga: 12:57pm On Mar 20, 2010
frosbel:

I have noticed with many comments here on Nairaland  , that Nigerians in Diaspora tend to get insulted , abused and maligned when making comments that do not fit into the perspective of some Nairalanders.

'go back to your beat'

' has your visa expired'

I have set up a poll to understand why such anger and hatred is channelled towards us Nigerians(Biafrans) who are very hardworking and live abroad hoping to make a positive contribution to our country .

What are your thoughts ?

i don't think you can use those two words interchangeably.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 20, 2010
ziga:

i don't think you can use those two words interchangeably.

What words ?? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Afam(m): 1:09pm On Mar 20, 2010
I think the reverse is the case because quite a number of Nigerians living outside Nigeria tend to insult and blame Nigerians living within Nigeria for the problems in Nigeria while claiming that these things happen because they are allowing them to happen.

So, you need to look at the problem without sentiments for you to address it properly.

A lot of threads have been put up to complain about the unnecessary insults in the past, maybe you never saw any of them.

While I am against any form of insult either direction it is important to note that those living outside Nigeria started the unwarranted insults and naturally those living in Nigeria reacted or over reacted.

And it seems that many Nigerians living outside Nigeria enjoy reading about negative stories in Nigeria and would be quick to water down any positive development. This results in questioning the rational for such position.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by beystwin: 1:19pm On Mar 20, 2010
@ topic; Na bad belle de worry dem. tongue Dem want show say dem too sabi lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by SisiKill1: 1:48pm On Mar 20, 2010
Jealousy? Bad Belle?

Over what abeg? Your ten seater jet and 100 room mansion on Ocean Drive?

What are they bad belle-ing you oh, please tell us!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by snowdrops(m): 2:31pm On Mar 20, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

Jealousy? Bad Belle?

Over what abeg? Your ten seater jet and 100 room mansion on Ocean Drive?

What are they bad belle-ing you oh, please tell us!
There goes another jealous lot
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by semid4lyfe(m): 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2010
Lwkmd. . .even person wey no get papers and dey wash toilet & dead bodi for obodo oyinbo go talk sey I dey jealous am.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chykason(m): 4:26pm On Mar 20, 2010
What am I jealousing you for? It's only unenlightened ones that says that. What did you have that'll make you think that we jealous you.
Go and read about AALIYAH on Wikipedia. Fame and money she has it all
Opportunity-that's the difference

Semid

no mind them.
There's nothing you can say that'll make them change their mind.
Can't yo see they've already made up they mind that we're jealousing them?
They living outside d country have already voted Jealousy 60%.

Me thinks d poll is meant for us! Whatchu fink? ? .
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2010
Pls don't get mixed up, the management of Nairaland and it's army sycophants might be biased against u guys. But we, the real NLanders are not. To d contrary, we appreciate ur courage and resilience. And imo u guys do more to development of the economy than any arm of government, despite d enormous resources at their disposal.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by pappilo(m): 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2010
Well said Xavier
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ElRazur: 6:00pm On Mar 20, 2010
Frosbell, while I see what you say, I think you should not let them get to you. For example, take a look at the kind of comment from semid4lyfe and then compare it to that of Afam. I guess the level of intelligence is there for all to see.

Sometimes it is best to just ignore some things. Trust me, if you ignore them long enough, they will go away. smiley

I am not so sure about your poll though.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by brothlover: 6:17pm On Mar 20, 2010
All bellies are not the same some cant stand sight of good things, well thier action is what i call "witch craft jealousy", just ignore them
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 18platoon(m): 7:27pm On Mar 20, 2010
@frosbel, is it because i said you're working in poundland at woolwich arsenal that you came up with this topic, abeg nobody they jealous you ooh,
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ElRazur: 7:36pm On Mar 20, 2010
18 platoon:

@frosbel, is it because i said you're working in poundland at woolwich arsenal that you came up with this topic, abeg nobody they jealous you ooh,

But why will you wanna say that? For the record, poundland hardly employ black people. Majority of their workers are of Asian origin.

undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by sjeezy8: 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2010
I dont think its anything of jealousy because im here in America and most of the BS said by Nigerians abroad are complete bullshiot and just far from reality.

Nigeria splitting peacefully- Fairy tale
Americans have Nigerian Interest at heart- blood BS
Americans have nothing to do with corruption in Nigeria- lol i have to laugh at that one. because US sure loves Obasanjo and IBB
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2010
Afam:

I think the reverse is the case because quite a number of Nigerians living outside Nigeria tend to insult and blame Nigerians living within Nigeria for the problems in Nigeria while claiming that these things happen because they are allowing them to happen.

So, you need to look at the problem without sentiments for you to address it properly.

A lot of threads have been put up to complain about the unnecessary insults in the past, maybe you never saw any of them.

While I am against any form of insult either direction it is important to note that those living outside Nigeria started the unwarranted insults and naturally those living in Nigeria reacted or over reacted.

And it seems that many Nigerians living outside Nigeria enjoy reading about negative stories in Nigeria and would be quick to water down any positive development. This results in questioning the rational for such position.
Reasonable cool

ElRazur:

But why will you wanna say that? For the record, poundland hardly employ black people. Majority of their workers are of Asian origin.

undecided

But not all are asians right? he might [size=4pt]be among the few blacks[/size] working there lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 20, 2010
18 platoon:

Lol, well working in Poundland is more dignified than sitting at home doing nothing.

At the very least you get paid promptly and live a fairly reasonable life.

But for the rercords I have a good Job with a reputable company in the UK but I have in the past had my fair share of factory work and odd Jobs,  grin grin grin grin.

My question stemmed primarly from some comments i read here on multiple topics. Some of these comments ended up in abuse for no reason just like yours which mentioned me working at Poundland etc. Its nothing personal for me , I could not care less, its more out of curiosity.

Its shameful the way Nigerians reason and think sometimes, they see working on a farm, as a cleaner, in a factory etc as debasing, thats why many of them are quick to get rich and up as fraudsters and all sorts of dubious people.

I rest my case.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by EzeUche(m): 8:33pm On Mar 20, 2010
It is pure jealousy. lol grin

And it is funny, because many Nigerians, especially in the Washington DC area and Houston area are quite wealthy. We Nigerians in the United States are doing well. However, I am glad, that my parents sent me back in forth from Nigeria and the United States. You get to see the best of both worlds.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by 18platoon(m): 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2010
@frosbel, well those that are sitting down at home are sitting down, as for me am not jealous of anybody.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ElRazur: 8:57pm On Mar 20, 2010
18 platoon:

@frosbel, well those that are sitting down at home are sitting down, as for me am not jealous of anybody.

But why will you wanna snipe at him with your line of insult? I.e working in Poundland or something. What made you said that? Surely, you could have called him a f0ol, a b*stard or anything but why that particular line? 

It is looking like jealousy, but I am not gonna go all out and say it is.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Sunofgod(m): 9:16pm On Mar 20, 2010
Please Include an option - ALL OF THE ABOVE
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:19pm On Mar 20, 2010
Jeez! Why can't some peeps keep my name outta their posts? This one pass Lisa and Derek o, lol.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ElRazur: 9:26pm On Mar 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Jeez! Why can't some peeps keep my name outta their posts? This one pass Lisa and Derek o, lol.

It is a public forum and not some diss tape. Get it?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:37pm On Mar 20, 2010
^^Another question
Why can't some peeps take to their advice to others and ignore my posts or are they washing toilets & dead bodies abroad as I said?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ElRazur: 9:40pm On Mar 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

^^Another question
Why can't some peeps take to their advice to others and ignore my posts or are they washing toilets & dead bodies as I said?

Ignoring your post is a request you make, and then up to me to decide.

It is a shame you have to be this way to be honest.  You have shown exactly what the OP was talking about - Bitterness.  undecided Right with your first post.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:54pm On Mar 20, 2010
Lol. . .only one word comes to mind - Hypocrite! Leaves the thread humming Barry White's 'you keep telling me this, telling me that. . .here I am 'baby', practice what you preach.

Adios. . .!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Lol. . .only one word comes to mind - Hypocrite! Leaves the thread humming Barry White's 'you keep telling me this, telling me that. . .here I am 'baby', practice what you preach.

Adios. . .!

Go get a life
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Genuflect(m): 6:00am On Mar 21, 2010
Jealousy? What the hell? When Nigerians in diaspora start getting less myopic, then you'll get the respect you so clamour
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by hollandis(f): 7:14am On Mar 21, 2010
frosbel:
Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ?

'go back to your beat'

' has your visa expired'

Overseas doing what?
You forgot to add ''slaving your black A$S''
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Mudley313: 7:21am On Mar 21, 2010
Overseas doing what?
You forgot to add ''slaving your black A$S''

u remember dat old evi-edna ogoli track dat goes "jealousy is the root of hatred'?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

DEAL: Get The Perfect Niched Nigerian Instagram Accounts For Your Brand / First Nigerian To Experience Space: Stella Felix, 17 / Best HOUSE DESIGN 3D & INTERIORS IN NIGERIAL CALL 08069253261

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.