Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Last Minute Theme Discovery - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Last Minute Theme Discovery (374 Views)

One Minute Man - (romance Thriller) / A Short Story On Self Love And Self Discovery / Alice Sexual Discovery In A Wonderful World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Last Minute Theme Discovery by Divepen1(m): 8:21am On Nov 08, 2017
Many times, themes don’t just erupt like molten magma. Well, on a second thought, they are like molten magma. They don’t come out like seed of a fruit that must be planted before the huge tree comes forth. They wait for the period the people of the land can’t really escape from their eruption.

The concept of Last minute theme discovery is such that you have finish the first draft of your full plot before stumbling upon the theme. The good thing about this is that it gives you the chance to ensure the theme is fully explored while rewriting the story.

As we have discovered earlier, every theme is an argument. Most times, people don’t know what they are arguing about until the last minutes. In the theme level, that is your eureka moment. This means that you don’t have to fret if you have a good story without a theme to give it a deeper meaning.
Funnily, your readers would unearth themes, you didn’t see yourself. Many people find lessons from quotes of the narrator(you), from characters’ dialogues, events of the story. This means that there are many lessons that have been buried on their way to the end of the story. Therefore, you must ensure you have a great time giving out a very interesting story on your path.

The problem with theme is that it is very slippery. You have to notice them on your way through your writing expenditure. If you overlook your theme, the entertainment part of your story would only remain with them for a short period time. The theme would Rebuild itself in their story. In her interview with Writertain, Emem Bassey, Author of Dark, Deep, and Dangerous, made us understand that the themes of most her books were discovered in the last minutes. According to her, ‘ Most times, the story writes itself. I might create a structure, but when I’m through, it’s sometimes far from what I’d structured. It’s all relative to different personalities, and upbringing and experiences‘.

All I’m saying in essence is that as much as I have advised you not to fret, you’re not at liberty to stop thinking about it. Let it be the song on mouth, the thought lingering on your heart.

http://writertain.com/2017/11/08/%e2%80%8blast-minute-theme-discovery/

(1) (Reply)

Pursuit Of Happiness Amidst The Masses. / My Thought... Being Unique / We Are The STREETS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.