Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club (15490 Views)

Afcon 2019: Tanzania Sack Emmanuel Amuneke / Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed Coach Of Tanzania / Jay-Jay Okocha Returns To Bolton Wanderers As Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by robosky02(m): 3:25pm On Nov 08, 2017
​Sudanese club Al Khartoum Watani appointed Emmanuel Amuneke as coach

​Sudanese top division club Al Khartoum Watani have appointed Emmanuel Amuneke as their new head coach for the forthcoming season, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Amuneke, who was unveiled Tuesday evening, signed a two-year deal at the club.

Amuneke, a former Super Eagles winger and Nigeria U-17s and U-20 coach, replaces Kwesi Appiah who took over the reins as Ghana’s head coach for the third time earlier in the year.

“Yes I have been appointed,” the former Barcelona and Albacete winger confirmed the news of his appointment to Completesportsnigeria.com.

“It’s a challenge for me and I believe my wealth of experience as a player and a coach will help the team.

“The target is a herculean one but we will try as much as we can to break the dominance of Al Merreikh and Al Hilal, who between them have won every league title since 1970 except in 1992.”

The 46-year-old led Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets to a fifth title at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup title in Chile, but failed to lead the same set of players at the U-20 level to African Youth Championship in Zambia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/amuneke-joins-sudans/

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by nerodenero: 3:39pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congratulations Emmanuel Amuneke, this is the reward of hard work and success. It is just a matter of time before you coach a Senior National Team in Africa.

I still remember your flying header against Bulgaria at USA'94. A beautiful goal to beholdcheesycheesy. Gradually, that golden era of '94-'96 is set upon us again. I hope this present Eagles can get to the Quater final in Russia.

17 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by robosky02(m): 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2017
DATE OF BIRTH Emmanuel Amuneke; was born on 25 December 1970 in Eze Obodo. Is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a left winger, and a current coach.

CLUB CAREER:
In his early career, Amuneke won the domestic league titles in Nigeria and Egypt, while playing for Julius Berger F.C. and Zamalek SC respectively. In 1994, he signed for Sporting Clube de Portugal, scoring seven league goals in his first season, including one against S.L. Benfica in the Lisbon derby (1–0 home win on 1 December 1994), adding the campaign's Portuguese Cup.

In the 1996 December transfer window, Amuneke was bought by La Liga giants FC Barcelona for $3.6 million, making his official debut on the 22nd in a 1–0 home win against Celta de Vigo, and scoring on 16 March of the following year in a 1–0 success at CD Logroñés. His spell in Catalonia would be effectively ended after the 1997 off-season, after he suffered a serious knee injury, following which he appeared very rarely for the club (only three league games in three full seasons combined).

Amuneke never fully recovered from his condition after being released by Barça in 2000. He had a two-year spell at Albacete Balompié, playing in the Segunda División, but saw limited first team action, spending a lot of time on the sidelines with knee injury. Amuneke then spent more than half a year unattached, after leaving Albacete in the summer of 2002, before eventually joining South Korean K-League side Busan I'Cons on trial in March 2003. As Amuneke was not fully game-fit at the time, Busan decided to keep him at the club until the next transfer window. Amuneke, however, failed to recover from the recurring knee injury and left Korea in August the same year without featuring in any official games. After leaving South Korea, Amuneke came close to signing with the UAE Pro League champions Al Ain FC, who also went on to win the first edition of AFC Champions League later the same year, but the move fell through and Amuneke joined the Jordan Premier League club Al-Wehdat SC in November 2003 instead. He stayed in Jordan until retiring from football at the age of 33 in 2004. In 2008, in spent some time as an assistant coach at Saudi Premier League side Al-Hazm, but left the club to become a scout for Manchester United.

On 23 December 2008, Amuneke took over the head coaching duties at former team Julius Berger, after completing two years of coaching courses in Europe. For a while, he combined this position with the role for the Red Devils, but eventually quit his post in England to concentrate on his coaching career.

Amuneke was sacked halfway through his first season after conflicts with management, despite saving the team from relegation.The club however later claimed he was sacked for "over gross insubordination”. He was hired in early November 2009 as the new coach of Ocean Boys FC.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER:
Amuneke played 27 times for Nigeria, scoring nine goals.[7] He was part of the team that participated at the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States, a first-ever for the African country, scoring against Bulgaria (3–0 group stage win) and Italy (1–2 round of 16 loss);[8] also in that year, he helped the Super Eagles win the Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia, eventually being voted African Footballer of the Year.

PERSONAL LIFE
Additionally, Amuneked played all the games at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, as the national team won the gold medal.[9] Knee problems kept him out of the 1998 World Cup.
: Amuneke's younger brothers, Kingsley and Kevin, were also footballers. Both also played several years in Portugal, amongst other countries.

Read more: http://www..com/ng/sports/32587-biography-of-emmanuel-amunike.html#ixzz4xqqw4s00

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Mediapace: 3:46pm On Nov 08, 2017
Nice

I thought i saw Emmanuel Emenike and i was like

12 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by robosky02(m): 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2017
Amunike and Guadiola in Barcelona

hope he shines like guadiola now grin

17 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by free2ryhme: 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2017
robosky02:

​Sudanese top division club Al Khartoum Watani have appointed Emmanuel Amuneke as their new head coach for the forthcoming season, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Amuneke, a former Super Eagles winger and Nigeria U-17s and U-20 coach, replaces Kwesi Appiah who took over the reins as Ghana’s head coach for the third time earlier in the year.

“Yes I have been appointed,” the former Barcelona and Albacete winger confirmed the news of his appointment to Completesportsnigeria.com.

“It’s a challenge for me and I believe my wealth of experience as a player and a coach will help the team.

“The target is a herculean one but we will try as much as we can to break the dominance of Al Merreikh and Al Hilal, who between them have won every league title since 1970 except in 1992.”

The 46-year-old led Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets to a fifth title at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup title in Chile, but failed to lead the same set of players at the U-20 level to African Youth Championship in Zambia.

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by SageTravels: 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congratulations
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by free2ryhme: 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2017
robosky02:

Well deserved appointment

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Neminc: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congrats Amuneke

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by mexxmoney: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congratulations
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by CrEaToRmalden(m): 6:47pm On Nov 08, 2017
I wish him the best.
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by moscobabs(m): 6:48pm On Nov 08, 2017
H
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by okonja(m): 6:48pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congrats
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by travelpoint: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2017
Mediapace:
Nice

I thought i saw Emmanuel Emenike and i was like
Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Chrisbeks: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congrats
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by femi4: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2017
nerodenero:
Congratulations Emmanuel Amuneke, this is the reward of hard work and success. It is just a matter of time before you coach a Senior National Team in Africa.

I still remember your flying header against Bulgaria at USA'94. A beautiful goal to beholdcheesycheesy. Gradually, that golden era of '94-'96 is set upon us again. I hope this present Eagles can get to the Quater final in Russia.
His winning goals in Tunisia 94 and Atlanta 96
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by MummyIMadeIt: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2017
We are proud of u.......
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by itsandi(m): 6:50pm On Nov 08, 2017
Interesting smiley Congrats!
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Daniel2802(m): 6:50pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Chrisbeks: 6:50pm On Nov 08, 2017
robosky02:

Is that not Jose mourinho in that picture? The one fist bumping with another guy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by travelpoint: 6:51pm On Nov 08, 2017
robosky02:

DATE OF BIRTH Emmanuel Amuneke; was born on 25 December 1970 in Eze Obodo. Is a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a left winger, and a current coach.

CLUB CAREER:
In his early career, Amuneke won the domestic league titles in Nigeria and Egypt, while playing for Julius Berger F.C. and Zamalek SC respectively. In 1994, he signed for Sporting Clube de Portugal, scoring seven league goals in his first season, including one against S.L. Benfica in the Lisbon derby (1–0 home win on 1 December 1994), adding the campaign's Portuguese Cup.

In the 1996 December transfer window, Amuneke was bought by La Liga giants FC Barcelona for $3.6 million, making his official debut on the 22nd in a 1–0 home win against Celta de Vigo, and scoring on 16 March of the following year in a 1–0 success at CD Logroñés. His spell in Catalonia would be effectively ended after the 1997 off-season, after he suffered a serious knee injury, following which he appeared very rarely for the club (only three league games in three full seasons combined).

Amuneke never fully recovered from his condition after being released by Barça in 2000. He had a two-year spell at Albacete Balompié, playing in the Segunda División, but saw limited first team action, spending a lot of time on the sidelines with knee injury. Amuneke then spent more than half a year unattached, after leaving Albacete in the summer of 2002, before eventually joining South Korean K-League side Busan I'Cons on trial in March 2003. As Amuneke was not fully game-fit at the time, Busan decided to keep him at the club until the next transfer window. Amuneke, however, failed to recover from the recurring knee injury and left Korea in August the same year without featuring in any official games. After leaving South Korea, Amuneke came close to signing with the UAE Pro League champions Al Ain FC, who also went on to win the first edition of AFC Champions League later the same year, but the move fell through and Amuneke joined the Jordan Premier League club Al-Wehdat SC in November 2003 instead. He stayed in Jordan until retiring from football at the age of 33 in 2004. In 2008, in spent some time as an assistant coach at Saudi Premier League side Al-Hazm, but left the club to become a scout for Manchester United.

On 23 December 2008, Amuneke took over the head coaching duties at former team Julius Berger, after completing two years of coaching courses in Europe. For a while, he combined this position with the role for the Red Devils, but eventually quit his post in England to concentrate on his coaching career.

Amuneke was sacked halfway through his first season after conflicts with management, despite saving the team from relegation.The club however later claimed he was sacked for "over gross insubordination”. He was hired in early November 2009 as the new coach of Ocean Boys FC.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER:
Amuneke played 27 times for Nigeria, scoring nine goals.[7] He was part of the team that participated at the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States, a first-ever for the African country, scoring against Bulgaria (3–0 group stage win) and Italy (1–2 round of 16 loss);[8] also in that year, he helped the Super Eagles win the Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia, eventually being voted African Footballer of the Year.

PERSONAL LIFE
Additionally, Amuneked played all the games at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, as the national team won the gold medal.[9] Knee problems kept him out of the 1998 World Cup.
: Amuneke's younger brothers, Kingsley and Kevin, were also footballers. Both also played several years in Portugal, amongst other countries.

Read more: http://www..com/ng/sports/32587-biography-of-emmanuel-amunike.html#ixzz4xqqw4s00
You are right........1970 indeed. His face says it all

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2017
Good luck coach.
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:56pm On Nov 08, 2017
Well atleast something to take him out of the house in the morning

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 08, 2017
travelpoint:

You are right........1970 indeed. His face says it all
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by XaviDayo(m): 6:58pm On Nov 08, 2017
What ever happens. ..make sure u make it out alive.

Sudan....na terrorism me sabi dem for and not football. I am as shocked as u guys are o
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by bentlywills(m): 6:59pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congrats boss
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Bsmartt(m): 6:59pm On Nov 08, 2017
Congratulations to him. I hope top clubs in Europe started seeing the unsentimental potentials in experienced African Coaches. I wish you all the best sir.
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Johnbosco77(m): 6:59pm On Nov 08, 2017
robosky02:

Is that not mourinho in there?

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Ventura1: 6:59pm On Nov 08, 2017
Chei! they want to Islamize Emmanuel Amunike just like Bekistas and Fernabache in Turkey Islamize Amokachi and Okocha, they now attend mosque. tongue
Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by naptu2: 7:04pm On Nov 08, 2017
Chrisbeks:

Is that not Jose mourinho in that picture? The one fist bumping with another guy

Johnbosco77:

Is that not mourinho in there?

Mourinho was Sir Bobby Robson's translator at Barcelona and was an assistant to Louis Van Gaal when Van Gaal coached Barca.

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by 8stargeneral: 7:04pm On Nov 08, 2017
Chrisbeks:

i thought as much bro!

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Amuneke Appointed As Coach Of Al Khartoum Watani, Sudanese Club by Malayy(m): 7:05pm On Nov 08, 2017
This man don dey approach 60 na. Why all these lies ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

OFFICIAL: FC Porto Sign Kelechi Nwakali On Loan From Arsenal (Photo) / Rohr Says Abraham And Tomori Not Needed In Super Eagles / Solskjaer Warns Liverpool It Will Be Difficult To Dominate Like Ferguson's Utd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.