Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:51 PM

What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. (2176 Views)

How Do I Guage / Service My Gear Oil Without An Oil Stick / How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? / Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 10:17pm On Nov 08, 2017
Please i need your help/suggestions.
My 1998 C 180 Automatic gear, i changed the gear oil (ATF) on saturday, as i was set to travel on sunday, i moved about 2km and the vehicle wont move again. Refused to drive forward but the reverse gear still works.
What could be the problem and how do i fix it please.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by autologic: 6:07am On Nov 09, 2017
emmaliver:
My 1998 C 180 Automatic gear, i changed the gear oil (ATF) on saturday, as i was set to travel on sunday, i moved about 2km and the vehicle wont move again. Refused to drive forward but the reverse gear still works.
Apart from the recent gear oil change ,went last did you change the gear oil .
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by BTT(m): 7:04am On Nov 09, 2017
Did you verify that your technician used the right ATF and quantity.
That is the problem.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 7:23am On Nov 09, 2017
autologic:

Apart from the recent gear oil change ,went last did you change the gear oil .
like every 6 to 8 months. I changed in february.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by Oksman(m): 9:48pm On Nov 09, 2017
emmaliver:

Your gear oil pump is blocked (it is located inside the gear system) hence can't tranmit the pressure required to drive the shaft. Change it and you are good to go. Talking from experience. Wish you the best.

4 Likes

Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by autologic: 7:04am On Nov 10, 2017
Oksman:

Your gear oil pump is blocked (it is located inside the gear system) hence can't tranmit the pressure required to drive the shaft. Change it and you are good to go. Talking from experience. Wish you the best.
That you might have experienced similar issue in which the culprit is bad pump might not be the same fix for every gear issue Also no diagnostics test from the op to prove that the pump is blocked .
So your claim is a fallacy
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 6:48pm On Nov 10, 2017
Oksman:

thank you, the pump is it same as the gear brainbox
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by Kashif(m): 7:32pm On Nov 10, 2017
Oksman:

What??!!

emmaliver:
thank you, the pump is it same as the gear brainbox

Please ask until he answers grin

What oil was used?
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 9:43am On Nov 11, 2017
Kashif:

What??!!

Please ask until he answers grin

What oil was used?
Redhorse.

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
emmaliver:
Redhorse.
is it redhorse or seahorse?
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

is it redhorse or seahorse?
was using seahorse before now. Currently there is no seahorse so i used redhorse
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:56am On Nov 12, 2017
emmaliver:
was using seahorse before now. Currently there is no seahorse so i used redhorse

I don't think u should be using that kinda "oyel" for ur vehicle oh.

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by OPUSDEI1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 12, 2017
@OP, has your issue been resolved?
Did you check your ATF level, is there any leak?

You are likely low on ATF or have a blocked strainer (gear filter). A failed pump won't even engage the reverse gear. It could also be the valve body a.k.a gear brain box (a common problem with 722.6 transmission). ETC

Most importantly Scan the vehicle with a professional scanner and post the codes for a better analysis.

1 Like

Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by traderguy: 2:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
try to bleed the gear oil,
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

I don't think u should be using that kinda "oyel" for ur vehicle oh.
which one do u recommend. ATF Dextron 111 o
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by emmaliver(m): 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
@OP, has your issue been resolved?
Did you check your ATF level, is there any leak?

You are likely low on ATF or have a blocked strainer (gear filter). A failed pump won't even engage the reverse gear. It could also be the valve body a.k.a gear brain box (a common problem with 722.6 transmission). ETC

Most importantly Scan the vehicle with a professional scanner and post the codes for a better analysis.

Yea. The mechanic saud it is the gear brain box so he changed. It is moving now.
Thank you so much.

Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by canagbado(m): 12:24am On Nov 13, 2017
Please, Kashif & co, I am in Lekki Lagos and drive a 2008 Camry with 13-pin gear box. The story is long but the car is parked in my house & I need candid advice from Kashif as to what next. I am planning on spending some cash to fix it month end. Briefly, mine got burnt due to leaking oil from the shaft. Their was an attempted repair but to no avail. Was moving for a while without the socket being plugged but was as good as the car had no gear. Now, I want to remedy it and I need assistance at this moment.

I will need to see Kashif life and we can discuss.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. by Kashif(m): 7:01am On Nov 13, 2017
canagbado:
Please, Kashif & co, I am in Lekki Lagos and drive a 2008 Camry with 13-pin gear box. The story is long but the car is parked in my house & I need candid advice from Kashif as to what next. I am planning on spending some cash to fix it month end. Briefly, mine got burnt due to leaking oil from the shaft. Their was an attempted repair but to no avail. Was moving for a while without the socket being plugged but was as good as the car had no gear. Now, I want to remedy it and I need assistance at this moment.

I will need to see Kashif life and we can discuss.

Do you know details of repairs carried out? How does it drive currently with the wires hooked up? What does the atf look like now?

With the wires unhooked, do you loose mobility or just the normal powerless 3rd gear drive?

(1) (Reply)

03 Eod Power Steering Problem: Pls Help / I Am Giving Out #10,000,if You can spot This Vehicle In Your Immediate Environs / Lagos To PH And Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.