Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power (9030 Views)

Kano Visit: Senate Summons IG Over Kwankwaso / Senate Summons Emefiele, Others Over Bank Charges / Dino Melaye: Senate Summons Abu Vc To Appear Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:49am On Nov 09, 2017
…summons Fashola

The Senate, yesterday, mandated its Committees on Power and Public Accounts to investigate the whereabouts of the $650 million balance of the Eurobond that was meant to be with the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

It also mandated the committee to invite the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, to render a detailed account in terms of public funds spent on the Afam Fast Power Project.

The apex legislative chamber urged the committee to investigate and consider summoning the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) and the Nigerian Electricity Bulk Trading Company (NBET) so as to be able to establish the status of the funds.

These resolutions were made by the Red Chamber sequel to a motion brought to the floor of the Chamber by Senator Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi), entitled “Monumental Fraud in the Power Sector”.

While presenting his motion, Melaye noted that sometime in July 2013, the Federal Government raised a total sum of $1 billion through a Eurobond issue.

He said: “The sum of $350 million was taken by the Federal Government out of the proceeds of the July 2013 Eurobond issue and released to Nigeria Electricity Bulk Trading Company (NBET) Plc. as shareholder contribution to shore up its capitalization.”

He said that the sum of $350 million released to NBET was to demonstrate NBET’s preparedness to assume its role as a government backed electricity bulk trader to provide market confidence in the privatised electricity market.

“As confidence building measure, the $350 million was domiciled with the NSIA for reinvestment in low risk investment and structured in a manner that NBET can call for funds at short notice when required,” Melaye said.

He said the fund had been with NSlA since 2014 and had helped build market confidence, especially among new investors in the electricity market who saw NBET’s positive balance sheet as a form of security that their investments were safe.

He said there was now a desperate attempt by the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing to retrieve the fund and divert same to fund the so-called Afam Fast Power Projects.

“The ministry has already spent $35 million of public funds not appropriated by the National Assembly,” Melaye alleged.
In his remarks, the President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, mandated the joint Committee of the Public Accounts and Power to carry out the investigation, asking the former to lead the probe.Senate probes alleged $650m fraud in Power Minister.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2017/11/senate-probes-alleged-650m-fraud-power-minister/

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Samusu(m): 5:53am On Nov 09, 2017
Ayamnotundastand
Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by sarrki(m): 5:56am On Nov 09, 2017
High chief of the wailing wailers

I greet you

Senate will not find fashola ministry wanting

Fashola stands one of the finest in this administration

Electricity has improved tremendously

Our roads been fixed

Senate have not impacted the lives of a common man

Positively

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 5:58am On Nov 09, 2017
Will anything good ever come out of the probe?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by izzou(m): 5:59am On Nov 09, 2017
“The ministry has already spent $35 million of public funds not appropriated by the National Assembly,” Melaye alleged.

Where are the Defensive midfielders, Central backs and Left and Right backs of this government?

Work don come for una. Come and defend your goalpost abeg

grin

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 09, 2017
sarrki:

I greet you

Our roads been fixed

Positively
Which area have electricity and road been fixed?Ghana?

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:22am On Nov 09, 2017
sarrki:

I greet you

Our roads been fixed

Positively
My problem with you is that you argue blindly even when the evidence is so glaring angry

Please Mr. Sarrki, what is this??

The day I go woooooz you e-Slap eeeeh angry

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Samusu(m): 6:28am On Nov 09, 2017
Kwankwaso 2019

1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 6:32am On Nov 09, 2017
SAME OLD FILM
Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 09, 2017
The way these are looting sha. can't wait to be a General.

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by sarrki(m): 6:44am On Nov 09, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
My problem with you is that you argue blindly even when the evidence is so glaring angry

Please Mr. Sarrki, what is this??

The day I go woooooz you e-Slap eeeeh angry

High chief use this

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Desyner: 6:52am On Nov 09, 2017
Samusu:
Kwankwaso 2019
Rubbish. What is KwankwansiyaKwasokor?
@sarrki, the fact that electricity improved doesn't mean there is no corruption.

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by sarrki(m): 7:02am On Nov 09, 2017
Desyner:
Rubbish. What is KwankwansiyaKwasokor?
@sarrki, the fact that electricity improved doesn't mean there is no corruption.

That what we need now

Improvement in our system
Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:35am On Nov 09, 2017
sarrki:

High chief use this

Now I know who is the real enemy of state angry

15 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by obonujoker(m): 7:45am On Nov 09, 2017
This Sarkki is just a clown.....

14 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by mrborntodoit: 7:47am On Nov 09, 2017
Choi!

Everything is a scam in this administration grin

We warned them but they felt like they knew better

3 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by PointB: 7:48am On Nov 09, 2017
“The ministry has already spent $35 million of public funds not appropriated by the National Assembly,”

This government is inherently and totally corrupt, from head to toe. They shout 'GEJ is corrupt' daily just to deflect attention from their own mega looting.

I haven't seen this type of corruption since the days of the man 'who never stole' - Abacha. Sadly we won't know the extent until they are inevitably booted from office for corruption.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by sarrki(m): 7:50am On Nov 09, 2017
obonujoker:
This Sarkki is just a clown.....

Oya you too take this

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by PointB: 7:55am On Nov 09, 2017
I wonder what mynd44 will think of this mega fraud allegation. As for lalalastical, does he know that monumental fraud such as this can reduce snake population is Nigeria? Where will he get his next snake meal?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by vengertime: 8:06am On Nov 09, 2017
Fashola is a thief, he's just decieving people

5 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by roundman: 8:14am On Nov 09, 2017
At the end of day fashola will school them and they will just be looking at fash speaking big English and they will be stormed.useless senate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Desyner: 8:47am On Nov 09, 2017
sarrki:

That what we need now

Improvement in our system
Electricity also improved during the tenure of the one you and your master love to blame

4 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by TheKingIsHere: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2017
Fashola, Buhari and Tinubu are thieves

Just see how the mofos who accused GEJ of corruption will avoid this thread.
grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Lordave: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2017
When I wrote my piece about unforeseen Fashola's ineptitude on running the ministries of Power, Works and Housing concurrently, people called me names, I was tagged a wailer with a negative thought, but today I'm being vindicated and Fashola is proving beyond reasonable doubts that it was actually a daft ministerial gaffe from our Dullard in Chief.

7 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 09, 2017
Fashola you don fall my hand

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Firefire(m): 10:20am On Nov 09, 2017
One of APC professional looter & career rogue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Firefire(m): 10:21am On Nov 09, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
Fashola, Buhari and Tinubu are thieves

Just see how the mofos who accused GEJ of corruption will avoid this thread.
grin

The goats are senseless...

4 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Firefire(m): 10:23am On Nov 09, 2017
PointB:

This government is inherently and totally corrupt, from head to toe. They shout 'GEJ is corrupt' daily just to deflect attention from their own mega looting.

I haven't seen this type of corruption since the days of the man 'who never stole' - Abacha. Sadly we won't know the extent until they are inevitably booted from office for corruption.

Only the chronic Zone Bs will say otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Nbote(m): 10:24am On Nov 09, 2017
The thing don dey go skkrrrrrrr.... By d tym dey are done with us na poom pooom we go don dey
Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by davoremix(m): 10:25am On Nov 09, 2017
innocent until proven guilty.

And power has improved in my environ too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by Bullhari007(m): 10:25am On Nov 09, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
…summons Fashola

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2017/11/senate-probes-alleged-650m-fraud-power-minister/

and where is the money deceitful fellows... buhari is a clown
Re: Senate Summons Fashola, Probes $650m Fraud In Ministry Of Power by vedaxcool(m): 10:27am On Nov 09, 2017
grin I am here to administer 30mg of anti wailerstic to wailing clown

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Buhari Must Support Benue Anti-Grazing Law - Reps / NJC Meets, May Extend Muhammad’s Tenure As Acting CJN / Tinubu Will Ensure True Federalism, Says Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.