Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,026 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? (13101 Views)

Poll: Vote for the player of the season:

Lionel Messi: 70% (120 votes)
Wayne Rooney: 29% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / Martins Vs Rooney, Who Is The Best??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
u started the insulting not me
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by honeric01(m): 3:07pm On Mar 23, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

u started the insulting not me
Can you prove this? undecided just do the right thing.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 3:21pm On Mar 23, 2010
Scoring? This season Messi has scored more goals than Rooney

Messi 24 games 25 goals
Roney 29 games 26 goals

Total goals messi 34, Rooney 33
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Vuitton(m): 3:31pm On Mar 23, 2010
Am a Man U fan but I voted for Messi becos am being realistic!
Three weeks ago i wud have voted for Rooney but Messi reminded me wot he can do in the past two weeks.

The awards for European and World best will depend on their performances in the Champions league and the World Cup. Their local league will also be a reference point.

So if Man U win the CL and Premiership, I bet Rooney will be voted the Ballon D' winner
If England go along to win the WC (or get to the final or semis) with Rooney one of the high goal scorers, he will be named World best too

Conversely, Messi will take European best by winning CL with Barca. The world cup na no go zone for him sha but if he can score some crazy goals then the World is his. cool
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by longhurn(m): 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2010
we have lots of Man utd haters here, but come to think of it, rooney is dha bomb, the edge messi has over him is the dribble accuracy, but in terms of shot accuracy believe me its rooney, ROONEY for world best
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by honeric01(m): 3:50pm On Mar 23, 2010
longhurn:

we have lots of Man utd haters here, but come to think of it, rooney is dha bomb, the edge messi has over him is the dribble accuracy, but in terms of shot accuracy believe me its rooney, ROONEY for world best

You still believe he's the best in the world, yet Messi's got edge over him? undecided
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by sley4life(m): 4:18pm On Mar 23, 2010
No basis of comparison here. I still maintain Messi is FAR beta than Rooney
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by bigfather(m): 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2010
Messi boku the merciless b*stard ! That guy plays as if he is being controlled by a PS3 pad !
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by allboyz(m): 4:48pm On Mar 23, 2010
m ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by toideve(m): 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2010
Sentiment or no sentiment Rooney is truly the son of God. White Pele of our time. Rooney rocks cheesy
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dyabman(m): 8:23pm On Mar 23, 2010
big father:

Messi boku the merciless b*stard ! That guy plays as if he is being controlled by a PS3 pad !

if that PS3 pad is handled by me as his opponent , (Messi) he wont dribble titus bramble not to talk of boumsong . . grin grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 23, 2010
Messi will be greater than Maradona.

Kai, see his first goal against (Zagaroza or so) at the weekend.
That guy is a legend, Rooney will be glad to clean his boots.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Callfubu(m): 9:34pm On Mar 23, 2010
Vedad ibisevic scored 18 goals in 17 matches for hoffenheim, i think that beats c.ronaldo and dnt starts saying this league is easier than the other
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tayoast(m): 11:44pm On Mar 23, 2010
BlueDiva:

Messi will be greater than Maradona.

Kai, see his first goal against (Zagaroza or so) at the weekend.
That guy is a legend, Rooney will be glad to clean his boots.

Messi copped 38 goals last season.
This tym around, he's on 34. . . & counting.

i'm sure ds stupid/ nauseating debate originated from England, hyping mediocres
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 12:05am On Mar 24, 2010
Maradona is the reason I began to watch football, he is the best I've ever seen and also the craziest most self-destructive I've ever seen.

If Maradona had the professionalism that Messi has, I think the game of football would have stopped being sold as a spectator sport the day he retired , no one would have ever had a hope of reaching the heights Maradona would have scaled.

Messi is, at present, a different type of player. his attributes and his play are growing, from simply being a more productive version of Claudio Lopez, to a more devastating Cannigia-cum-Aimar. At present Messi is showing a capacity to absorb new skills and technique to frightening levels, if that continues, and given his mentality it should, he could very well achieve more and express better football than Maradona did, but still, Maradona have greater potential.

Everything Messi does on the pitch, suggests a very very intelligent mind, allied to his startling natural talent. His dribbling is rarely of the futile/speculative sort that Ronaldo indulges in. His freekicks are usually about outfoxing the goalkeeper/defenders, rather than positioning and blasting the ball. He tries to outthink his man, which is something that would point to a very long and glorious career ahead for him.

It is easy to see aspect of Messi's technique that are drawn from Ronaldinho, from Aimar, from Riquelme (the corners all seem to be very Riquelme-esque) and from Xavi. It is startling to realise that he does actually pass the ball just as well as Xavi, that he can spot plays and runs across the pitch as omnisciently as Riquelme, that his movement is intentionally designed to disrupt defensive lines (like Eto'o?), in short, that he plays intelligent football and not just off-the-cuff inspired stuff (although the latter is the hallmark of geniuses, it is also infuriating and difficult to marshall for any length of time).

With Maradona, it was as if a completely new way of playing football had been introduced. We all tried to be the goal scoring, dribbling, passing, playmaker on the school yard as a result.

Maradona's influences (if any?) are much harder to discern, his 'genius' much more of the creative and original type. He just seemed to be perfecting the "Maradona way" of playing football, from what I recall. Whereas Messi consciously improves aspects of his game by learning the technique of those around him.

I think that's the big difference I see. Of course Messi could bridge that gap, Messi might be holding back on self-expression because we are in an age of professionalism and "collective play", where the individual contributes to the system, rather than attempts to trump it or otherwise assert the preeminance of the self [maybe I'm getting a little carried away here].

As to the Napoli-Barca contexts, Maradona's team were hardly seen as world beaters and so relied heavily on Maradona's input to be competitive. Barcelona would be amongst the 3-4 best teams in Europe irrespective of Messi's contribution. I don't think that's a point to be argued. Maradona gave Napoli more, relative to their stature, than Messi did Barcelona.

On a sidenote, people who suggest that Messi wouldn't be as effective and spectacular as he is, without Xavi-Iniesta. People who go so far as to say that Barcelona is X-I and that Messi is mere decoration, clearly need to recall just how many times and how consistently Messi has pulled Barca's nuts out of the fire. Almost every season there is a stretch where the papers talk of Messidependance or Messilona, because there is always a half dozen or more games where the intricate system of pass-and-move gets bogged down, where the need for a spark, a short-circuit of the system arises and Messi is there, always. Messi makes Barcelona work, with or without X-I, but Barca without Messi is Arsenal, good but lightweight.

In terms of the national team, I think the comparison favours Messi. Maradona had a competant coach who built a team to work around and for Maradona. Messi has had to endure the weakness of Pekerman (modest coach), the totally abyssmal Basile and his "play everything through Riquelme" 'system' and now the aimless school of product-placement under Maradona. Maradona's clearly been trying to boost the careers and profiles of Argentine league players, using the NT. He has no system as yet, no tactical plan has been demonstrated beyond "4-4-2 with tall, strong and tenacious blokes", nothing. So of course Messi won't "produce" in that mess, give him a proper coach and he will give Argentina a World Cup.

Wayne Rooney? Well after reading this, you see how far he has to go to get near Messi.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by astuto: 12:08am On Mar 24, 2010
Look eh, i woud say, let the records speak for themselves.
who has won more league titles between the two? Rooney
More league goals to date? Rooney.
Who plays in a more competitive league? Rooney. (in La Liga, u can already tell who will win the league title by 7th week, as compared with England where 4 teams are close with about 6 games remaining.
Dribbling is sweet to watch alright, but how many times have u guys seen Messi back-track to help out the defence? Rooney does this almost as if he is paid to do so.

If FIFA is being objective, they should look at the whole player and not just the person who scores the most dribble-laced goals.  THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU'LL ALMOST NEVER SEE A DEFENDER OR GOALKEEPER WIN THE WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 12:33am On Mar 24, 2010
astuto:

Look eh, i woud say, let the records speak for themselves.
who has won more league titles between the two? Rooney
More league goals to date? Rooney.
Who plays in a more competitive league? Rooney. (in La Liga, u can already tell who will win the league title by 7th week, as compared with England where 4 teams are close with about 6 games remaining.
Dribbling is sweet to watch alright, but how many times have u guys seen Messi back-track to help out the defence? Rooney does this almost as if he is paid to do so.

If FIFA is being objective, they should look at the whole player and not just the person who scores the most dribble-laced goals.  THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU'LL ALMOST NEVER SEE A DEFENDER OR GOALKEEPER WIN THE WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR.

League title wins are collective. Man U's Danny Wellbeck has won more premiership titles than Torres. Man U's Anderson has won more titles than Gerrard and Fletcher more than Lampard.
More goals to date. Sunderland's Darren Bent has scored more goals than Torres to date.
Competitive league. One team has won the English premiership three years in a row and is likely to make it four, that is not competition. The Spanish league is currently led by two teams separated only on goal difference.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by idifu(m): 8:07am On Mar 24, 2010
Messi
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by bashydemy(m): 9:26am On Mar 24, 2010
furacao:

League title wins are collective. Man U's Danny Wellbeck has won more premiership titles than Torres. Man U's Anderson has won more titles than Gerrard and Fletcher more than Lampard.
More goals to date. Sunderland's Darren Bent has scored more goals than Torres to date.
Competitive league. One team has won the English premiership three years in a row and is likely to make it four, that is not competition. The Spanish league is currently led by two teams separated only on goal difference.
so what your point now furaco?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tayoast(m): 9:42am On Mar 24, 2010
^^furacao just rubbished d other guy's insinuation dt Wayne is better.

@furacao,
i took time 2 read ur piece thru n thru. . . I doff my cap
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 3:11pm On Mar 24, 2010

This is as insane as they come.

In England one club has won 13 titles in the last 19 and you claim its competitive.

Ok who would win the La Liga this season? The top 2 teams are tied on points and its week 27 already that means your theory is rubbish

Which 4 teams are close in England if I may ask cos the difference between number 1 and number 4 is 14 points or do you by any chance suggest Liverpool?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 4:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
bashy_demy:

so what your point now furaco?
That Astuto's point was weak and far from the real picture. You cant use collectives to judge between individuals? lt's like saying that Wes Brown is better than John Terry because Terry has not won a Champions League medal.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 4:35pm On Mar 24, 2010
dayokanu:

In England one club has won 13 titles in the last 19 and you claim its competitive.

Ok who would win the La Liga this season? The top 2 teams are tied on points and its week 27 already that means your theory is rubbish

Which 4 teams are close in England if I may ask cos the difference between number 1 and number 4 is 14 points or do you by any chance suggest Liverpool?

My point exactly.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 4:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
tayo_ast:

^^furacao just rubbished d other guy's insinuation dt Wayne is better.

@furacao,
i took time 2 read your piece thru n thru. . . I doff my cap

Thanks jare. Some people's knowledge and understanding of football is just not introspective enough to call a decision between such players.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by astuto: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2010
Ha ha ha. Thanks furacao and dayokanu for your passionate comments.
You didn't quite make any comment on my assertion that FIFA is biased against non-strikers when it comes to giving the Top Player Award.

Or are you just concerned with downplaying Rooney, eh? Chelsea fans. The same everywhere grin
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Mar 24, 2010
If FIFA is being objective, they should look at the whole player and not just the person who scores the most dribble-laced goals. THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU'LL ALMOST NEVER SEE A DEFENDER OR GOALKEEPER WIN THE WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR

canavaro a defender won the award some seasons back and what has that got to do with the Rooney vs messi debate?

What passionate about you spreading falsehood. Its only in England that one team can win the league 13 times out of 19 and still call the league competitive.

You mentioned la Liga as been decided in 7th week yet this is another LIE,. As at week 27 the top 2 teams are tied on points so what other false statement do you have to make?
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by furacao(m): 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2010
astuto:

Ha ha ha. Thanks furacao and dayokanu for your passionate comments.
You didn't quite make any comment on my assertion that FIFA is biased against non-strikers when it comes to giving the Top Player Award.

Or are you just concerned with downplaying Rooney, eh? Chelsea fans. The same everywhere grin

l don't support Chelsea or any other English club. Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Franco Barsei, Lothar Mathaus, Mathias Sammer, Fabio Cannavaro, and Paolo Maldini were some of the best platyers in the last 30 years who were not defenders, and two of these have won the award. Maybe a lot more should but it is down to voting. You might have a point about the bias, but then again, you may not. Eventually, categories for best goalkeeper, defender etc have been created to cover all bases.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by Sauron1: 6:34pm On Mar 24, 2010
dayokanu:

U have the uncanny ability to spew hokum sometimes.
English league is more competitive than any league in Europe. . . . .
No club has won 13 titles in 19 seasons. . . . .Stop exaggerating.

In the history of association football in Spain, only 9 teams have won the domestic league title. . . .competition indeed.
More than 22 different teams have won the domestic league title in England in the history of association football.

How many La Liga teams have won the Champions League? Only Barcelona and Real Madrid
How many English teams have won it? Liverpool, Man Utd, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa and the English league is not competitive?

Even hopeless leagues like Bundesliga and Eredivise have produced more Champions League winners than La Liga.
What is so competitive about them? The leagues of Germany, Holland, England and Italy have all produced more teams as runner-up in the UCL than La Liga.

3 teams are fighting for the title as we speak in England but only 2 teams can win it in Spain and the Premiership is not competitive?
Y'all niggaz should go and lie down.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by eyoniggar(m): 6:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sauron has posted here and didnt make any statement
about the debate. He's got a reason cos he knows the truth.

This thread should be closed.
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Mar 24, 2010
English league is more competitive than any league in Europe. . . . .
No club has won 13 titles in 19 seasons. . . . .Stop exaggerating.

How many titles has Manure won in the last 18 seasons?

How many La Liga teams have won the Champions League? Only Barcelona and Real Madrid
How many English teams have won it? Liverpool, Man Utd, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa and the English league is not competitive?

Even hopeless leagues like Bundesliga and Eredivise have produced more Champions League winners than La Liga.
What is so competitive about them? The leagues of Germany, Holland, England and Italy have all produced more teams as runner-up in the UCL than La Liga.

What competitive in a league whose top 4 is constant at least for the past 4 seasons

3 teams are fighting for the title as we speak in England but only 2 teams can win it in Spain and the Premiership is not competitive?
Y'all niggaz should go and lie down.

3 teams are fighting for it, yet only one team has won about 70% of the last 18 titles
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by tkb417(m): 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2010
No footballer like Messi as im typing this
maybe Rooney will start doing wonders as from tmr

today, Messi is not human

dayokanu:

What competitive in a league whose top 4 is constant at least for the past 4 seasons

3 teams are fighting for it, yet only one team has won about 70% of the last 18 titles
If you say La Liga where there are only 2 teams fighting for the title is more competitive than a league where there are 4 teams, then i laff in yoruba
this season is a testament to how competitive the leagues are. 2 teams are fighting to finish in Spain while 3 are doing same in England
tryin to win arguments shouldnt mean you spew rubbish. There are only 2 teams in Spain while Liverpool can beat Real Madrid hands down-FACT
Re: Messi Vs Rooney: Who Is Better For 2009/10 Season? by chic2pimp(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2010
tkb417:

today, Messi is not human
If you say La Liga where there are only 2 teams fighting for the title is more competitive than a league where there are 4 teams, then i laff in yoruba
this season is a testament to how competitive the leagues are. 2 teams are fighting to finish in Spain while 3 are doing same in England
tryin to win arguments shouldnt mean you spew rubbish. There are only 2 teams in Spain while Liverpool can beat Real Madrid hands down-FACT

Which 4 teams? undecided

Man united have pratically win every league title since the inception of the premier league.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jose Mourinho To Leave Real Madrid By Mutual Consent / Sunderland Vs Arsenal (0 - 2) On 25th October 2014 / Manchester City Vs Newcastle - (5 - 0) On 8th July 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.