Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,479 members, 7,781,399 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:50 PM

Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' (7712 Views)

T.B Joshua Donates N5 Million To Man Whose Wife Was Killed By Police In Lagos / Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / An Experience At Pastor Chris Okotie’s Church In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Enigma(m): 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2010
This story will please chukwudi44 in particular, I guess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7493521/Kwik-Save-tycoon-gives-up-riches-in-pact-with-God.html

The devout Roman Catholic vowed to hand over half his fortune to the Church if he ever became rich when he was working as a penniless sweets-seller in Wales after the Second World War.

Instead, at the age of 82, he has fulfilled the deal by giving almost his entire £480 million estate to a new charitable foundation, keeping less than £10 million to see out his old age.

The Welsh tycoon has stipulated that half the income must be invested in the Roman Catholic Church, in line with his “pact”, while the rest can be distributed at the discretion of the trustees.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by adaphik(f): 6:06pm On Mar 21, 2010
Awesome
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2010
@poster it will not please me b/c it came 4rm a rcath but rather it was a voluntary donation dat was obtained without twisting d scriptures
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2010
Good news xtians pls emulate d man
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by jagunlabi(m): 7:35pm On Mar 21, 2010
Pact with God or pact with a church?
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 21, 2010
jagunlabi:

Pact with God or pact with a church?
This is a rhetoric questn,which u must ans urself
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Enigma(m): 11:56pm On Mar 21, 2010
chukwudi44:

@poster it will not please me b/c it came 4rm a rcath but rather it was a voluntary donation dat was obtained without twisting d scriptures

I agree; I made the comment that it would please you as a friendly joke --- I should have added a smiley! smiley
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by bawomolo(m): 1:38am On Mar 22, 2010
that's cool, catholic charities actually do some good as long as they are far away from young altar boys grin
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by naijacutee(f): 7:24am On Mar 22, 2010
That's admirable. He made a promise and he kept it. Money isn't everything afterall.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:28am On Mar 22, 2010
naijacutee:

That's admirable. He made a promise and he kept it. Money isn't everything afterall.
No be only, why did he keep it till he was 82? who is the man deceiving?
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by richjohn1(m): 12:15pm On Mar 22, 2010
^^^^^
Exactly my thoughts when I read it, who the man dey fool? grin
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by texazzpete(m): 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

No be only, why did he keep it till he was 82? who is the man deceiving?
rich_john:

^^^^^
Exactly my thoughts when I read it, who the man dey fool? grin

Please open your bible and read the parable of the Prodigal son.
Did the father not welcome his son back even when he only realized his folly when he was starving?

The money donated will go a long way to helping the poor. That is what you should focus on instead of making snarky comments.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by MeGaStReEt: 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
God Loves a Cheerful Giver
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by snowdrops(m): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
I am impressed. Good on him.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by SwtzMinx(f): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
.great. . .who's next? :-)
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by JUO(m): 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
nice one
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by eros(m): 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
This will be me 70 years from now.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2010
texazzpete:

Did the father not welcome his son back even when he only realized his folly when he was starving?

The money donated will go a long way to helping the poor. That is what you should focus on instead of making snarky comments.
Yeah it will but lets not all feel like he was a hero,what was he doing with than kind of money at that age?
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Jeboy(m): 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
Its good d man is only sowing a seed.Solomon dis more than that in d bible days
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by candylips(m): 5:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
fantastic
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by elelem(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
Good measure press down and shaking together and so shall men give unto your bossom, !
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by splashbaby(m): 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2010
texazzpete:

True talk
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by bawomolo(m): 6:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Yeah it will but lets not all feel like he was a hero,what was he doing with than kind of money at that age?

but he at least made a donation.

this is no different from people donating their estate to their alumni after they die
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
bawomolo:

but he at least made a donation.

this is no different from people donating their estate to their alumni after they die
Am not taking away that he did a good thing by donating, I am just saying if he could have done it sooner rather than later in his "pact" with God, people should paint it to look like the dude was a big hero, he could have as well paid off Portsmouth's debt.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Orikinla(m): 6:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
God made him rich and he kept the agreement with God.

It would be great if we can find such faithful Christians in Nigeria.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by sayso: 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
Awesome,he will be remembered for this in that country for a long ong time to come.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Rastamann: 6:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
Hmmnn, na only God knows the innermost mind of man.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by PastorOla1: 6:33pm On Mar 22, 2010
GrEaT!!!!!!!
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Rastamann: 6:34pm On Mar 22, 2010
Hmmnn, na only God knows the innermost mind of man.
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by Pennywise(m): 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2010
You see why white man is different. If it was a black man who made that promise and you remind him, he will tell you so what?
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by sley4life(m): 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
i only read the title. Where is the church located. If na 9ja church then na basket him put the money. Our so called 9ja men of God cant be trusted. Instead I will hand it over DIRECTLY to the less privilege
Re: Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' by MuNeme(m): 7:25pm On Mar 22, 2010
Yea I did same thing not so long ago though it was just #10m

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Majek Fashek A Prophet / Pope Declares Seat Of Bishop Of Ahiara Mbaise Catholic Diocese Vacant / Lessons And Benefits Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.