Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? (9875 Views)

>>> Most Of Your Engine Overheating Is Caused By Your Radiator Cover? <<< / Never Use Dishwashing Liquid To Wash Your Car / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by Goodplace: 5:24pm On Nov 10, 2017
Please my car has been parked for a long time. Though it is been warmed sometimes. Now I have the intention of bringing the car back. Among other things to do in the car, should I loose and steam wash the Radiator?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 11, 2017
Mechanics, please come in......
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by bettercreature(m): 7:03am On Nov 11, 2017
Why do you have to remove and wash it if it’s not faulty?
It’s unnecessary

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by nony43(m): 7:04am On Nov 11, 2017
C
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by OGBUEFIJAKOTA(m): 7:04am On Nov 11, 2017
wen ever u noticed that the water inside is some how browniss
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by aolawale025: 7:05am On Nov 11, 2017
There's this fluid you can pour into the radiator. Run the car for a while, then it's drained.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by jerflakes(m): 7:05am On Nov 11, 2017
You can wash it without removing the radiator

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by NabeelAbu: 7:06am On Nov 11, 2017
Engineers where are you now
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:13am On Nov 11, 2017
Replace radiator. Drain fluid water and pour fresh coolant.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by kuntash: 7:15am On Nov 11, 2017
@OP The design and working of the cooling systems of an automobile doesn't require those radiator washing as you have asked ..

The coolant in the radiator ensures it doesn't freeze or boil at extreme temperatures , it also ensures the path way doesn't corrode and clear of debris .

However, over time, the cooling units does degrade and come in form of sludge down the radiator... the radiator on Its own is designed with a drain plug under it to release debris and coolant

For me , I would rather suggest a replacement when you notice leakage, or inefficiency in cooling..

Some of these car parts in some makes tend to selfdestruct or degrade after a period of 10yrs ... e.g. BMW & Benz ..

If you are using the recommended coolant make properly mixed , you are hardly to get issues..

Have you also wondered why tokunbo cars always have their coolant tank neat and with the proper liquid inside ?

When proper maintenance is adhered to .. you are unlikely to bother about things as this ..(washing radiator )

5 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by Pharovo(m): 7:36am On Nov 11, 2017
You normally don't have to remove and wash your radiatior because you've not been driving the car for a while. You will only need to do that if you've driven if for years and probably through muddy area then the radiator fins must have been clugged with muds or debris, this will likely lead to your car overheating if you drive for a distance with your car AC on. I suffered this issue until i have panel beater remove and wash mine for #2500 last week. Now am totally enjoying the vehicle again

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by iamjavadem(m): 7:42am On Nov 11, 2017
bettercreature:
Why do you have to remove and wash it if it’s not faulty?
It’s unnecessary
When a car is parked for a long time with water in the radiator and fuel in the tank, rusting starts to take place. That is why in your generator instructions manual they tell you to drain the fuel from it if you want to store for a long time.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by iamjavadem(m): 7:45am On Nov 11, 2017
kuntash:
@OP The design and working of the cooling systems of an automobile doesn't require those radiator washing as you have asked ..

The coolant in the radiator ensures it doesn't freeze or boil at extreme temperatures , it also ensures the path way doesn't corrode and clear of debris .

However, over time, the cooling units does degrade and come in form of sludge down the radiator... the radiator on Its own is designed with a drain plug under it to release debris and coolant

For me , I would rather suggest a replacement when you notice leakage, or inefficiency in cooling..

Some of these car parts in some makes tend to selfdestruct or degrade after a period of 10yrs ... e.g. BMW & Benz ..

If you are using the recommended coolant make properly mixed , you are hardly to get issues..

Have you also wondered why tokunbo cars always have their coolant tank neat and with the proper liquid inside ?

When proper maintenance is adhered to .. you are unlikely to bother about things as this ..(washing radiator )
If the car has been stored for a long time there will be rust in the cooling system depending on the type of metal used, flushing radiator will be needed else the car will always warm quickly and also affect fuel consumption. Talking from experience here.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by iamjavadem(m): 7:48am On Nov 11, 2017
Pharovo:
You normally don't have to remove and wash your radiatior because you've not been driving the car for a while. You will only need to do that if you've driven if for years and probably through muddy area then the radiator fins must have been clugged with muds or debris, this will likely lead to your car overheating if you drive for a distance with your car AC on. I suffered this issue until i have panel beater remove and wash mine for #2500 last week. Now am totally enjoying the vehicle again
Wrong dude. Some cars like Nissan and Mitsubishi still use old engines that rust and if parked for a long time with water radiator will contain rust and dirt in cooling system making car warm faster and cause car to consume more fuel and need more regular radiator refill until you flush it out. Talking from experience.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by wildchild02: 7:50am On Nov 11, 2017
Only the mechanics can say

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by buchilino(m): 8:22am On Nov 11, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Replace radiator. Drain fluid water and pour fresh coolant.

GOOD DAY OGA GAZZ, PLZ I NEED UR ADVICE, I WANT TO BUY A VOLVO V70, MODEL 04 UPWARD. WATS UR OPINION ON VOLVO PRODUCTS N D V70 IN PARTICULAR. D REASON I WANT TO BUY IT IS BECAUSE ITS A FAMILY CAR. THANKS
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by DukeNija(m): 8:25am On Nov 11, 2017
Pharovo:

I did the same thing but mine still overheats. The mechanic said it’s the top gasket that got damaged. I sincerely doubt that
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by sosodevf(m): 8:55am On Nov 11, 2017
angry
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by thebigkendo(m): 8:56am On Nov 11, 2017
iamjavadem:

Wrong dude. Some cars like Nissan and Mitsubishi still use old engines that rust and if parked for a long time with water radiator will contain rust and dirt in cooling system making car warm faster and cause car to consume more fuel and need more regular radiator refill until you flush it out. Talking from experience.

Bros car warming up faster is actually a good thing.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by miqos02(m): 10:18am On Nov 11, 2017
Good
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:28am On Nov 11, 2017
buchilino:

GOOD DAY OGA GAZZ, PLZ I NEED UR ADVICE, I WANT TO BUY A VOLVO V70, MODEL 04 UPWARD. WATS UR OPINION ON VOLVO PRODUCTS N D V70 IN PARTICULAR. D REASON I WANT TO BUY IT IS BECAUSE ITS A FAMILY CAR. THANKS

Valarinz please speak to buchilino.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by dnapstar(m): 11:11am On Nov 11, 2017
DukeNija:

I did the same thing but mine still overheats. The mechanic said it’s the top gasket that got damaged. I sincerely doubt that
Try changing the top gasket if you have washed the radiator. Most of these mechanics do trial and error most times all at the expenses of the customers.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by femi4: 11:11am On Nov 11, 2017
kuntash:

Learn to read before typing
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by femi4: 11:20am On Nov 11, 2017
thebigkendo:

Bros car warming up faster is actually a good thing.
Its not, your radiator should warm up accordingly so that the engine don't overwork and burn more fuel
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by globatop: 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2017
grin grin
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by buchilino(m): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Valarinz please speak to buchilino.
PLZ OGA VALARINZ, I NEED AN ANSWER QUICKLY B4 I GO BUY LIABILITY.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by valarinz: 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2017
buchilino:

It's a good and reliable car, just get one that's free of issues and you're good to go
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by thebigkendo(m): 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2017
femi4:
Its not, your radiator should warm up accordingly so that the engine don't overwork and burn more fuel

car WARMING UP i assume you mean the temp guage going from C to around almost half mark, Why do you think the radiator fans don't start immediately you start a car in the morning? So as to allow the car WARM UP to operating temperature faster, the fan starts later on after the temperature has been attained.

Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by buchilino(m): 4:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
valarinz:

It's a good and reliable car, just get one that's free of issues and you're good to go

DO U HAVE ANY AT D MOMENT
Re: When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? by hacops: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2017
Your radiator may still be in good condition, however, it is advisable that you flush both inside and the grid I.e outside before you start using.
Radiator flushing is necessary as we change from one season to another.
from raining season to dry season because the grid would have accumulation of dirt from flood water you went through during raining season.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Common Spark Plug Conditions / Importation Of Bullet Proof Cars Gets EUC Requirement / Speed Limiting Device Vendors Can Create 2m Jobs — Vendors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.