Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,794 members, 7,802,529 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? (3402 Views)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / FG Launches Startup Nigeria To Promote Agribusiness / 5 Agribusiness You Can Start In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 10:45pm On Nov 11, 2017
What are the challenges faced by youths engaged in the agribusiness sector? Lets all participate in this exposition to encourage other youngsters who are passionate and enthusiastic about going into agribusiness.

Please share your best practice, challenges, discouragements/frustrations and winning-tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others!

Where did you start as a young agri-entrepreneur?
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by darkenkach(m): 11:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
Agriculture wont make me a millionaire over night. It's 2years now and I always to wait for a particular time of the year before I can reap my benefit.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by 2map(m): 11:41pm On Nov 11, 2017
It takes endurance to make it big.
For starters, just know that if you plan to make it big, it's either you have a large investment or you put in your 100% and endure...

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 9:20am On Feb 09, 2018
My bigger eye opener came when I realised I could actually lower my cost of feeding my catfishes by making my own feed using sinking pellets. But the biggest eye opener was when I could use locally made but FLOATING FEEDS. Now its all smiles..

More of integrated farming now..I grow my maize and soyabean. i feed them to my fish and VIOLA i collect the big cash via fish sales.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 7:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
Please share your best practice, challenges, discouragements/frustrations and winning tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others!
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 09, 2018
darkenkach:
Agriculture wont make me a millionaire over night. It's 2years now and I always to wait for a particular time of the year before I can reap my benefit.
you are into what farming sir?
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by buchilino(m): 8:13pm On Feb 09, 2018
AM HERE 2 LEARN
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by benzion72(m): 9:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
Like the word of Orlando Owoh Ohun toju miri lalagbon bi month ba dele ma royin mawi faye. That is weting my eye see for Alagbon prison when I get home I will announce to the world.

My first experience in farming is through proxy. I gave out money for a guy to help establish cassava and Maize two hacter. The guy took me to a place that has been ploughed, seeing the place I was rest assured. That I am a farmer I sent money for planting, weeding and fertilizer. After three months I took my family and car for harvesting of maize. The guy took me to another side apart from where he showed me and point maize on another two hacter and told us to harvest and disappear into the thin air as we are settling down to start the harvesting some people challenged us that are we the owner and we told them we did the farming through proxy, we mention the guy name. Long story short they told me I have been duped.

I forgo the money but the link woman stood her ground and charge the proxy farmer to court but the guy settled out of court and paid back the money

LESSON

1. You cannot farm through proxy it does not work

2. Don't leave everything to God use every means to get back your fund

6 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by benzion72(m): 9:29pm On Feb 09, 2018
The last one I shared is a challenging one, let me share the good one.

I read about mushroom growing. I read about how technical it is, I dabble into its production. The training for mushroom even here on nairaland by popular representative of FIRO is fifty thousand naira.

I did self training through reading and youtube video. I produce mushroom for sale that earn me good morning and I also stumble on production of spawn which fetch more money than mushroom. I was able to replicate what is done in a hightech laboratory in a kitchen

Lesson

1. Don't listen to nay sayer and voice of impossibility. When they say it can't be done Just do it

2. Read everything you can lay your hand on and make youtube your friend

3. I have giving out mushroom production procedure on nairaland for free

8 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by baldwin84(m): 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2018
saliubello:
My bigger eye opener came when I realised I could actually lower my cost of feeding my catfishes by making my own feed using sinking pellets. But the biggest eye opener was when I could use locally made but FLOATING FEEDS. Now its all smiles..

More of integrated farming now..I grow my maize and soyabean. i feed them to my fish and VIOLA i collect the big cash via fish sales.
...pls what kind of local machine do u use to make floating feed ..kindly share pics..and how to acquire it.thanks
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by benzion72(m): 9:43pm On Feb 09, 2018
This one na bad one, I have not paid off the debit I incured completely.

I obtain 500 layers birds somewhere at Oluyole Estate in Ibadan. I ran from pillar to post to raise them for 24 weeks.

At poiint of lay some died due to excess fat, use of too much Soya and they were housed under sink roof no asbestos.

The highest egg recorded was 180. It was a tough war. There was also egg glot. Some big farm in Awe Oyo was just flooding the market they have economic of scale long story short, I solf off like 200

LESSON

1. No regulator for Agricultural input in Nigeria. I latter read a thread from a lady from kaduna here on nairaland who took day old chick from the same company I took from and the chicken did not perform well

2. Study the required construction for the animal you are raising

3. Do not start big, start small and grow big

4. Who the industry player in your biz, can you compete or can you create your own niche

4 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 10:42am On Feb 10, 2018
Please share your best practice, challenges,discouragements/frustrations and winning tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others!
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 10:43am On Feb 10, 2018
baldwin84:
...pls what kind of local machine do u use to make floating feed ..kindly share pics..and how to acquire it.thanks

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2018

2 Shares

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 5:12pm On Feb 11, 2018
Add yours
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 4:26pm On Feb 13, 2018
Please share your best practice, challenges,discouragements/frustrations and winning tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others!

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 9:43pm On Feb 17, 2018
Share your story
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by Naijareload: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
saliubello:
What are the challenges faced by youths engaged in the agribusiness sector? Lets all participate in this exposition to encourage other youngsters who are passionate and enthusiastic about going into agribusiness.

Please share your best practice, challenges, discouragements/frustrations and winning-tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others!

Have you heard this? Many Nigerian exporters have been defrauded of huge amount of money in the process of exporting commodities to foreign countries. Do you know why? They were not trained on export operations, management, documentations and the best methods of payment in export trade. This is terrible!!! Nigerians cannot continue to lose money to foreigners in the course of export business. Exporters, why don’t you get a practical manual that teaches the stages of export trade from processing and packaging of commodities to receipt of payment by the foreign buyers. It teaches export operations, export management, export documentations and methods of payment in export trade? It is a contemporary step-by-step guide to export trade. It tells all the contemporary dynamics in export trade. To get it, click on the link below:
http://www.tectono-business.com/2016/02/contemporary-step-by-step-guide-to.htmlWhere did you start as a young agri-entrepreneur?

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by brownsugar23: 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2018
Trust
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 9:55pm On Apr 15, 2018
brownsugar23:
Trust
Trust is cheap these days.. Honesty is extremely expensive. You are right
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by CedarAgro: 5:33am On Apr 17, 2018
I took a loan from the bank, 1.2million naira with the intention of disbursing to my friend in tranches who will farm for me.
The friend coarse me giving many reasons why tranche disbursement will make the process slow and within a week got 800k from me and more later.
The agreement was that he would start the farm show me my portion and at harvest we harvest and sell.
Guys, this friend showed me the farm, but never the harvest.
It took me some years to pay off the loan from which I never saw both principal and interest.

Learning point:
1. Never ever farm in proxy. You will not benefit from it.
2. A farm that you do not know it's size, and cannot visit at will is not your farm even if you invest millions into it, stop deceiving yourself
3. In all you do insist on following your mind. Even if you fail, your mind will justify you that at least you took all the precautions

3 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 8:37am On Apr 17, 2018
CedarAgro:
I took a loan from the bank, 1.2million naira with the intention of disbursing to my friend in tranches who will farm for me.
The friend coarse me giving many reasons why tranche disbursement will make the process slow and within a week got 800k from me and more later.
The agreement was that he would start the farm show me my portion and at harvest we harvest and sell.
Guys, this friend showed me the farm, but never the harvest.
It took me some years to pay off the loan from which I never saw both principal and interest.

Learning point:
1. Never ever farm in proxy. You will not benefit from it.
2. A farm that you do not know it's size, and cannot visit at will is not your farm even if you invest millions into it, stop deceiving yourself
3. In all you do insist on following your mind. Even if you fail, your mind will justify you that at least you took all the precautions
Thanks for sharing..

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 5:06pm On Jun 04, 2018
Share your story too as it might save another from frustrations, stress and untold hardships.

I'm proud to share my stories as I learn and get better while giving a helping hand.

I'm a realist. No playing on figures. Just blunt and straight forward. At least I have learnt my lessons and I'm better now.
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 1:09pm On Jul 13, 2018
Please share your best practice, challenges,discouragements/frustrations and winning tickets/successes as youths in your agribusiness endeavour, to inspire others.

perhaps its the problems you encountered that you will share
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by SLYX: 6:36am On Jul 14, 2018
I am a poultry farmer. I have been on for 2 years now. My worst experience is ordering birds from poultry plaza. Those guys don't take time to select day old chicks probably because they already have the name. Their birds were dying anyhow. No one should even say management cos it's the same management I had been using before that particular birds and have still been using with success.
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 2:30pm On Jul 14, 2018
SLYX:
I am a poultry farmer. I have been on for 2 years now. My worst experience is ordering birds from poultry plaza. Those guys don't take time to select day old chicks probably because they already have the name. Their birds were dying anyhow. No one should even say management cos it's the same management I had been using before that particular birds and have still been using with success.
Thanks for sharing.. hoping that others will share theirs.
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 9:35pm On Jul 14, 2018
I have learnt Never to underestimate the importance of vaccination in poultry. I couldn't believe my eyes watching IBD(Gumboro) wipe out my pilot layer birds(Isa brown) @ week 7 just because I kept on postponing their vaccination. 51 birds died within 24 hours
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2018
Ayanfeoluxyz:
I have learnt Never to underestimate the importance of vaccination in poultry. I couldn't believe my eyes watching IBD(Gumboro) wipe out my pilot layer birds(Isa brown) @ week 7 just because I kept on postponing their vaccination. 51 birds died within 24 hours
Prompt and routine vaccination programme is very essential for good growth in poultry.

Other areas where people get it wrong are:
1. Proper administration of the vaccine.
2. Correct transportation mode of vaccine is another.
3. Preparing the birds prior to vaccination is another. Too much Stress for the birds can be harmful.
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by jfkenny(m): 8:14am On Jul 15, 2018
SLYX:
but poultry plaza has been my best bet for doc procurement.
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by saliubello(m): 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2018

Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by sefani(f): 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
benzion72:
Like the word of Orlando Owoh Ohun toju miri lalagbon bi month ba dele ma royin mawi faye. That is weting my eye see for Alagbon prison when I get home I will announce to the world.

My first experience in farming is through proxy. I gave out money for a guy to help establish cassava and Maize two hacter. The guy took me to a place that has been ploughed, seeing the place I was rest assured. That I am a farmer I sent money for planting, weeding and fertilizer. After three months I took my family and car for harvesting of maize. The guy took me to another side apart from where he showed me and point maize on another two hacter and told us to harvest and disappear into the thin air as we are settling down to start the harvesting some people challenged us that are we the owner and we told them we did the farming through proxy, we mention the guy name. Long story short they told me I have been duped.

I forgo the money but the link woman stood her ground and charge the proxy farmer to court but the guy settled out of court and paid back the money

LESSON

1. You cannot farm through proxy it does not work

2. Don't leave everything to God use every means to get back your fund

OMG! the guy is a confirmed crook.as in, he directed you to steal another person's farm produce? he won't make heaven! lol
Re: What Has Been Your Biggest Eyeopener Since You Started Your Agribusiness? by kunleweb: 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2018
sefani:

OMG! the guy is a confirmed crook.as in, he directed you to steal another person's farm produce? he won't make heaven! lol

Na wa o. he won't make heaven!

The way we find it easy to condemn people to hell, Jesus didn't teach us this way,He says it's His pleasure to whisk even the wicked from judgment into salvation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenaf Value Chain: A Most Profitable Agribusiness / Cocoa Seedlings For Sale / Breedwell Poultry Feed, A Subsidiary Of Sayed Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.